Poll

How many people should be eliminated in round 1?

3 - like the rules say
2 (18.2%)
2 - just the songs I don't enjoy
9 (81.8%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Author Topic: Katt's Roulette 3.0 v. post-roulette jingle concept playlist thing results!  (Read 30775 times)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: Katt's Roulette 3.0 v. I promise this one is simple v. round 1 hangman go
« Reply #175 on: September 24, 2019, 03:28:08 PM »
Did a tiny bit of research, I wanted to guess puppies sent Scott earlier but wasn't sure until I checked RYM, and I found Lettuce in romdrums' RYM too :P
Rest was just guessing

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #176 on: September 24, 2019, 03:30:17 PM »
I was wondering about Puppies and Walker, but didn't guess it for some reason.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #177 on: September 24, 2019, 05:21:06 PM »
I'm curious to see how he likes that song. I almost sent something from Scott 3 instead, just because of how bleak the stuff from Tilt, The Drift, and Bisch Bosch is. If it doesn't work, well, then it doesn't work.  :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: Katt's Roulette 3.0 v. Round 1 impressions
« Reply #178 on: September 24, 2019, 06:28:27 PM »
(not in the same order, obviously)

Sacul: OM - State of Non-Return
jingle.boy: Hardline - In This Moment
Kwyjibo: Los Lobotomys - Smell Yourself
Stadler: Hank Williams, Jr. - The Pressure Is On
Buddyhunter1: VOLA - Applause of a Distant Crowd
Big Hath: Tower of Power - Squib Cakes
romdrums: Lettuce - Madison Square
kingshmegland: Ben Folds Five - Battle of Who Could Care Less
Puppies_On_Acid: Scott Walker - Farmer in the City
wolfking: Vanden Plas - Godmaker
Cyril: Gunship - Dark All Day
TAC: Narrow Gate - Wages of Sin
Elite: VOLA: Starburn
Tomislav95: Gunship - When You Grow Up, Your Heart Dies
Ruba: Tori Amos - Spark
ariich: Michael Camilo - Not Yet

1. Wasn't expecting to love this. Part of it reminds me of a moment on Steven Wilson's last album

2. I have no idea what genre you'd call this but it's pretty cool

3. I love the spirited performances in this. Never a dull moment

4. This song reminds me of cities. I hate cities, but this is groovy. I'm a little confused

5. I had no doubt this would be first place the first time I heard this

6. Okay I'm pretty sure this is already better than anything you sent in my last roulette

7. Soothing, and my second favorite song of the round

8. This brings out my inner white girl

9.  It's really good, but there's just this one thing...

10. I think it's excellent, but there's so much going on in everything else that it's hard to compare and figure out where to rank it

11. Definitely sounds like them, but I'm not quite sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing yet

12. I appreciate the ballsy gamble - but this one doesn't cut the mustard

13. Thanks for playing!

14. Aaand that's going right on the 'drinking songs' playlist

15. Phenomenal playing, love the groove and energy

16. This is dope. If Peter Parker had strutted his stuff to this in Spider-Man 3 maybe those girls wouldn't have laughed at him
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #179 on: September 24, 2019, 06:33:28 PM »
4. This song reminds me of cities. I hate cities, but this is groovy. I'm a little confused

I think this fits mine the most.

As long as I'm not 12 or 13, I'm good. :lol
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Katt's Roulette 3.0 v. round 1 impressions
« Reply #180 on: September 24, 2019, 06:36:31 PM »
13 for sure

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #181 on: September 24, 2019, 06:49:02 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #182 on: September 24, 2019, 07:40:20 PM »
Likely mine :metal

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #183 on: September 24, 2019, 07:44:46 PM »
I hope I’ve soothed you.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #184 on: September 24, 2019, 08:58:07 PM »
I'm curious to see how he likes that song. I almost sent something from Scott 3 instead, just because of how bleak the stuff from Tilt, The Drift, and Bisch Bosch is. If it doesn't work, well, then it doesn't work.  :corn
Interested to see how it will do :corn :corn

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #185 on: September 24, 2019, 09:01:29 PM »

13. Thanks for playing!
Definitely one of these

So long and thanks for all the fish.... :itsatrap:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #186 on: September 25, 2019, 12:12:34 AM »

I would describe my song like this, but I'm not sure if you do too.  :D
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #187 on: September 26, 2019, 06:34:27 AM »
I think I'll post results tomorrow. I'm fairly confident in my ranking now.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #188 on: September 26, 2019, 06:49:07 AM »
Sweet!  I'm on the road for a week so I'd like to get you a song before I leave Saturday morning.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #189 on: September 26, 2019, 07:32:02 AM »
Sweet!  I'm on the road for a week so I'd like to get you a song before I leave Saturday morning.

If you make the cut! Good luck soldier :neverusethis:

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #190 on: September 26, 2019, 08:04:14 AM »
 :lol

Confident in this one.

I think..................
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #191 on: September 26, 2019, 02:43:11 PM »
I rhink 11 is mine.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Tomislav95

Re: Katt's Roulette 3.0 v. Round 1 RESULTS... on Friday!
« Reply #192 on: September 27, 2019, 12:54:31 AM »
My body is ready... eliminate me!
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #193 on: September 27, 2019, 01:53:40 AM »
:friday:

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Katt's Roulette 3.0 v. Round 1 RESULTS!! Send for Round 2!!
« Reply #194 on: September 27, 2019, 08:49:48 AM »
This was a very strong round, ya'll. To the two who got cut: them's the breaks, someone has to go home. Thanks for playing :)

---

1. Cyril
Gunship - Dark All Day
5. I had no doubt this would be first place the first time I heard this
16 points

Everything about this song hits the mark. Everything the synths do is pleasing to my ears. The singer's voice isn't terribly outstanding, but gels with the music so well that it actually enhances the sound. I adore the massive drums when they kick in, and how fluid the transitions between every section are. Of course the real star of this song is the screaming saxophone. Sax always makes stuff better, but this guy is going fucking bonkers and creates such a huge mood that I think I said "holy shit" at least three or four times when this first played. In fact, this song was so good that I dropped the other songs for an hour to go play this entire album and it's fantastic. Easy first place.

2. Buddyhunter1
VOLA - Applause of a Distant Crowd
7. Soothing, and my second favorite song of the round
15 points

I've been raving about this song to some friends all week, and actually shared it on the ProgPower USA Facebook page and it got a very nice response from the community who apparently really dig this song and/or band. I love it. It's nice and bubbly with a positive vibe to the music, and the singer's gentle voice is a big part of that, but so is the synth lead. It has this dulled out jagged edge to whatever the patch is being used and it's such a fascinating texture to me. The rhythm threw me for a loop at first; I wasn't expecting a song in 9/8 to sound so catchy with such an organic, easy to follow rhythmic pattern. At least I'm pretty sure it's in 9/8. This song makes me feel like I'm floating underwater, melting all my stress away.

3. Tomislav95
Gunship - When You Grow Up, Your Heart Dies
8. This brings out my inner white girl
14 points

Also knew this would rank towards the top the first time I heard it. Pure synthwave, 80s worship, huge catchy beats and melodies and shiny synths that tickle my fancy. I love everything about this song, although my only nitpick is that on repeat listens I've found myself a bit tired of the spoken word samples. It matches the vibe of the track wonderfully, I just don't like when it's laying out such a blunt message without any subtlety - just kind of wish it would stay instrumental and take me on a trip through this lovely sonic landscape. Other than that it's a masterpiece, and like I said in Cyril's writeup, I checked out the rest of this album and it's wonderful. This song freaking rules.

4. jingle.boy
Hardline - In This Moment
10. I think it's excellent, but there's so much going on in everything else that it's hard to compare and figure out where to rank it
13 points

What I meant by that impression was that this is (arguably) the most minimalist song of the round. There's a lot of wacky instrumental stuff and some crazy mashups on almost every other submission, but this one sticks to a piano, a voice, and a drizzle of strings on top. So it's really hard to compare this to a full-on jazz-rock-fusion instrumental that shreds for 7 minutes. But, in the end, this one came out above all of them - why? His voice has a lovely sound and the melody he carries is beautiful, for one. Also, the piano line is simple but pretty, and it's that bright tone of the piano itself that really gets me. I don't dislike a dark piano sound, but this brightness and warmth is what I really love particularly in ballads. The lyrics and music both complement each other well and the song doesn't overstay its welcome. It's just a solid, emotional song that resonates with me.

5. ariich
Michael Camilo - Not Yet
3. I love the spirited performances in this. Never a dull moment
12 points

I sent you Casiopea and you threw it right back at me. Okay, not exactly the same kind of music, but the energy and wicked playing is all there. When I said I like lively music, this is what I've been dying to discover. The audio makes it sound like every player is putting their heart into their performance, and every melodic idea and solo is played with such pep that it put a smile on my face the first time. The big moments that bring the main motif back have such a sharp striking sound, the first thing I thought of was the opening theme "Tank!" for the classic anime Cowboy Bebop. This one is like Casiopea's Galactic Funk to me, just a joy to play from start to finish. Then I looked up a video of them playing this, and sure enough, the musicians themselves looked like they were busting their asses playing the music and were having a blast doing so. Excellent piece of music!

6. Kwyjibo
Los Lobotomys - Smell Yourself
11 points

It's borderline cheating, because Los Lobotomys has been on my short list of 'albums to buy' for many years, yet I've never bothered looking up the music online before purchasing. But Kwyjibo took full advantage of me Toto/Lukather/Porcaro love and knocked it out of the park here. Hard to believe this is live with how tight the playing is. I don't think there's one sour note in this track. From the first listen it reminded me of a Toto song that would come many years later, "Taint Your World" from Falling In Between, and that's a good thing - I really love this high speed, electric groove, makes me feel like the song actually has momentum and isn't crawling towards the end. I don't think it overstays its welcome either. The lineup on this record is mindbogglingly good and I've bumped this one up to be one of my next album purchases for sure. Awesome track and god bless Steve Lukather.

7. Ruba
Tori Amos - Spark
1. Wasn't expecting to love this. Part of it reminds me of a moment on Steven Wilson's last album
10 points

It's possible I've heard something else, but I'm pretty sure this is the only Tori Amos song I've ever heard. I was expecting something very poppy. This is adventurous and dramatic. Actually reminds me of a more recent pop musician, Charlotte Martin, and the song 'Veins' - it's got an interesting vibe and an even more interesting breakdown. There is a moment in the song when she sings "but you don't really need it" and it sounds exactly like a moment of SW's album To The Bone but I can't pinpoint which song it's in. Anyway, she's got a great voice and it's more complex than I was expecting, and it's held up on multiple listens. I really like this and might have to get more if the rest of her stuff is similar.

8. romdrums
Lettuce - Madison Square
16. This is dope. If Peter Parker had strutted his stuff to this in Spider-Man 3 maybe those girls wouldn't have laughed at him
9 points

I SO dig the groove in this piece. Nice funky bass with some slick brass on top and sharp motifs, it's really tasty music to chew on as I go for a walk. Kind of struggled with where to place this though, given the stiff competition this round. I think it's held up just fine on repeat listens, but unlike the songs above this I'm not uncovering a lot of new stuff in those repeat listens, so it's hard to justify putting it higher - but I really like the whole track, the vibe is chill but not lethargic and moves at a nice head bopping pace. Wish the band name was better though :) really good track here.

9. Stadler
Hank Williams, Jr. - The Pressure Is On
14. Aaand that's going right on the 'drinking songs' playlist
8 points

Coming in right under the halfway mark, this song's ranking is merely a consequence of just how good the other submissions are this round. This is my kind of old school country. The instrumentation is minimal and simple and the role is to set the mood for the story he's singing - the star of the show here is his voice and the lyrics. It's crazy how a simple melody can do so much for a song, and he sells the hell out of it. It's a cliché scene but I just freaking love songs like this where I can imagine a guy drinking alone at a bar and the song is all about what he's struggling with personally. Great song - but I'm banning Hank Williams, Jr. now :)

10. Elite
VOLA - Starburn
9. It's really good, but there's just this one thing...
7 points

I know it must sting to see the other VOLA song rank much higher than this, but hear me out: I've heard this group described as Meshuggah meets Depeche Mode. Well, I don't know any Depeche Mode, and I dislike Meshuggah, but overall I think this song rocks. I love the verses and basically everything about the song other than when the tough guy shouting starts. It's not BAD, it just takes away a bit from the song for me, whereas "Applause of a Distant Crowd" has this summery beauty to the music that I think is enough to make them stand out, and that heavy part in this one doesn't really set them apart. That's literally my only gripe; it is in fact a great song that really shows their creativity and the main riff is chunky and funky. This band is now banned, because I'm sold on their sound. This is a really cool song, but again, a victim of its competition. (You've sent me 2 VOLA songs now and I think I actually like this one more than Smartfriend, which is a good sign!)

11. TAC
Narrow Gate - Wages of Sin
6. Okay I'm pretty sure this is already better than anything you sent in my last roulette
6 points

I wasn't expecting something like this from you, TAC. Consider me pleasantly surprised! I was actually expecting straight-up heavy metal like usual. Okay, so. I don't dislike this track, it's just, again, a victim of competition. I was thrown by the odd rhythms but really enjoy them. It's got this dark vibe. Now the soloing is really nice, but the saxophone is my favorite thing about this song. I'm kind of sad it goes away so quickly though, and by the end I'm left surprised that it isn't brought back. The guitar soloing is nice, but doesn't leave a lot left for me to chew on when coming back to it. It's a very interesting song and I'm thinking about checking out more of their stuff if it's as creative as this. Not bad - but not blowing my mind either.

12. Big Hath
Tower of Power - Squib Cakes
5 points

I feel a little bad that this is coming in so low, but for the umpteenth time: it's a victim of competition. I really dig this song because it's got this slick identity - some really groovy 70s-style jamming and a funky rhythm. The image I get is 100% 1970s New York City, big hair and loud fashion and strutting through the city. To that extent I think it's very cool and flavorful. Two problems bring it down for me though - I think it's a little too long for what it is, and there's almost a full minute later on where the Hammond is laying on this high note and I find it maddening. It's a minor quibble but on repeat listens 50+ seconds of that pitch became tedious, and as much as I like the piece, that one thing ruins some of the magic here. I don't dislike this song, it's really good. Tower of Power has my interest.

13. Sacul
OM - State of Non-Return
4 points

This singer reminds me of someone that I should know. It's a distinct voice, but even after looking him up, I can't pinpoint it. Maybe Arcturus? I really don't know. My gut reaction to this initially was disappointment that it never really picks up, but also fascination that it sounds like Ayreon if Arjen got bit by the industrial music bug. Really sounds like a sludgy, grimey distortion of bits and pieces of Ayreon particularly because of that dark string line over the rest of the band. But the mood is almost uncomfortable at times, like a boozy funk, and I think the end drags on just a bit too long for my liking. It's an interesting piece and I don't dislike it, but there was also nothing that particularly grabbed me by the hojos and said 'buckle up' so the ranking is what it is. Certainly not writing this group off.

14. wolfking
Vanden Plas - Godmaker
11. Definitely sounds like them, but I'm not quite sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing yet
3 points

Update: it's not a bad thing. However, it just sounds like Vanden Plas. I like Vanden Plas. Unfortunately there's nothing here that's impressing me. The riff is nice, the vocals are nice, everybody sounds comfortably Vanden Plas. But I think one could also interpret that as 'stale.' I don't - I want to be clear, I like this song - I'm just not finding anything to really go 'wow' at. Strangely, I think it's both better than some of the stuff on the albums I'm familiar with and a bit tepid, not really doing anything special. I like the sound of his voice, and wish he'd do more like what he does at the end of the song. For the last time, it's just a victim of competition, I wish I could rank this one higher.

---

15. kingshmegland
Ben Folds Five - Battle of Who Could Care Less
2 points

There ARE things I like about this track. I dig the groove, I dig the piano, I dig the lyrics. However, his voice. I just don't like his voice, *especially* when he tries to do the 'doo-doo-doo' harmonies. I don't think he sings well, and the particular harmonies he's going for just don't sound pleasant to my ears. I like the lyrical subject matter and the groove in the hook. I really appreciate you having the balls to take aim at the Randy Newman side of my musical taste - it's a very risky move and with someone as unique and distinct at Randy, it's really hard to find something in that vein, so thank you for trying. But them's the breaks - sorry brudda, I appreciate you gambling in the first round.

16. Puppies_On_Acid
Scott Walker - Farmer In The City
13. Thanks for playing!
1 point

:lol Sorry, that impression is a bit rude in hindsight. I really tried to like this, my man. I think it's artsy and his singing voice has a nice sound, but it's just so weird and vampiric - always makes me think of Dracula sitting in a dark stone room singing to himself. So I went and read the lyrics to the song, which lead me to the story behind the song. The story, honestly, is more appealing to me than the song itself. The lack of any sort of buildup combined with its length and really strange atmosphere was very off-putting. I really tried to open my mind to this one, but it's just a swing and a miss - sorry, buddy. Thanks for sending a bold first track.

Round 1 Results

1. Cyril - 16 points
2. Buddyhunter1 - 15 points
3. Tomislav95 - 14 points
4. jingle.boy - 13 points
5. ariich - 12 points
6. Kwyjibo - 11 points
7. Ruba - 10 points
8. romdrums - 9 points
9. Stadler - 8 points
10. Elite - 7 points
11. TAC - 6 points
12. Big Hath - 5 points
13. Sacul - 4 points
14. wolfking - 3 points
15. kingshmegland - 2 points
16. Puppies_On_Acid - 1 point

Newly Banned Artists
Gunship
VOLA
Hank Williams, Jr.
Los Lobotomys
Vanden Plas

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #195 on: September 27, 2019, 08:53:59 AM »
WOOOOOOOOO

Glad you enjoyed it so much! Between that song and Smartfriend you really have no excuse not to listen to that whole album; it's pretty great and a big step up from their debut, IMO.

Will send for Round 2 soon. Going to go with something much more left field... I think you'll dig it, but we'll see.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #196 on: September 27, 2019, 08:55:57 AM »
:whereistheshotthroughtheheartemoji:

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #197 on: September 27, 2019, 09:02:57 AM »
Given the fellating you gave VOLA and Gunship on FB this week, I had strong suspicions those songs would top the ratings.  Thus, I'm more than happy with this result.

Sent... although I think this is the first time that a host has cock-blocked a players 1st submission choice.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #198 on: September 27, 2019, 09:05:10 AM »
:2metal:

will send for round 2 points soon

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #199 on: September 27, 2019, 09:11:03 AM »
Om, particularly on this record, is this very unique cross between Psychedelic Rock, Stoner Rock and Al-Maqam Al-Iraqi. It's kind of a meditative, religious experience as a whole, and I was mostly curious to see your reaction - this is the only "heavy" song on the album, the rest of the record is pretty chill. Now time to step up for real.

EDIT: Sent!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 09:19:26 AM by Sacul »

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #200 on: September 27, 2019, 09:20:59 AM »
WOOOOOOOOO

Glad you enjoyed it so much! Between that song and Smartfriend you really have no excuse not to listen to that whole album; it's pretty great and a big step up from their debut, IMO.

Will send for Round 2 soon. Going to go with something much more left field... I think you'll dig it, but we'll see.

Home run, my friend. Hope you can keep it up.

:whereistheshotthroughtheheartemoji:

Sorry buddy. :hug:

Given the fellating you gave VOLA and Gunship on FB this week, I had strong suspicions those songs would top the ratings.  Thus, I'm more than happy with this result.

Sent... although I think this is the first time that a host has cock-blocked a players 1st submission choice.

I'm still cackling over that. All you had to do was send them first.  :rollin

:2metal:

will send for round 2 points soon

You know I'm expecting good things from you now, right? You've done changed the game.

Om, particularly on this record, is this very unique cross between Psychedelic Rock, Stoner Rock and Al-Maqam Al-Iraqi. It's kind of a meditative, religious experience as a whole, and I was mostly curious to see your reaction - this is the only "heavy" song on the album, the rest of the record is pretty chill. Now time to step up for real.

EDIT: Sent!

That's totally the vibe I was getting from it, so that's good to know. I've been going back constantly to that album to check out its art and the names of the other songs so perhaps that'll enter my rotation soon, but if the rest of the record isn't as heavy as this song I'm hesitant. Might have to be a nighttime listen.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 09:26:47 AM by Kattelox »

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #201 on: September 27, 2019, 09:27:25 AM »
Sent! Even More East of the Wall Than Before!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #202 on: September 27, 2019, 09:27:54 AM »
Apparently this is not a Power Metal roulette. :lol

Just listened to the songs at the top of the round. I should just self eliminate right now. There's nothing in my being that relates to the top songs.

OK, will just send stuff until I get kicked out... ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #203 on: September 27, 2019, 09:29:52 AM »
Current Tastes, and Other Things You Should Know:
1. Please avoid power metal if you can. Despite all the power metal sent to me last roulette, by a country mile my favorite stuff is still what I've been discovering on my own.
ya think?  :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #204 on: September 27, 2019, 09:30:57 AM »
Apparently this is not a Power Metal roulette. :lol

Just listened to the songs at the top of the round. I should just self eliminate right now. There's nothing in my being that relates to the top songs.

OK, will just send stuff until I get kicked out... ;D

I literally said do not send power metal if you know what's good for you. But does Wages of Sin count as power metal? Not in my book  :lol Good luck!!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #205 on: September 27, 2019, 09:32:17 AM »
Oh no, I saw that. I didn't send Power Metal, and am making a list of non Power Metal songs.

I was just remarking that the winning songs in this round were literally the furthest thing from Power Metal as you could get.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #206 on: September 27, 2019, 09:34:00 AM »
Oh, yeah, definitely. But that's a total gamble. Like, if I wasn't a fan of Twilight Force, and someone sent me Flight of the Sapphire Dragon, that would likely be a first place song no ifs ands or buts. But nobody's ever sent me power metal that I love quite as much as what I find on my own. It is surprising, still, what came in first place this round  :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #207 on: September 27, 2019, 09:51:25 AM »
11. TAC
Narrow Gate - Wages of Sin

And yet, still only placed 11th.  Man, you must've sent some really awful shit last roulette!   :lol

#LuvYaPal

I'm still cackling over that. All you had to do was send them first.  :rollin

And I'm still RAGING over it!  I would've sent them first, but it didn't dawn on me until after I'd already submitted Rd 1.  All YOU had to do was stay away from them for 6 days.  YOU KNEW THEY WERE COMING!!!  I'd expect a dirty play like that from Tim ... not you.

#LuvYaPal

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #208 on: September 27, 2019, 09:52:19 AM »
But nobody's ever sent me power metal that I love quite as much as what I find on my own. It is surprising, still, what came in first place this round  :lol

To this end, there's a good chance that I'm fucked senseless this round then.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #209 on: September 27, 2019, 09:55:44 AM »
Round two sent.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.