Author Topic: 10/24/2019 - Mesa Arts Theater, Mesa, AZ  (Read 2015 times)

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
10/24/2019 - Mesa Arts Theater, Mesa, AZ
« on: September 04, 2019, 09:28:50 AM »
Decided to go to this show instead of Tucson, it ended up being the cheapest show. Everything's all set and now just the wait.

Anyone else going to be attending this show. Will be arriving around 4 on the 23rd. Would be down to meet up before the show.  :yarr :corn
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Chris Hinton

Re: 10/24/2019 - Mesa Arts Theater, Mesa, AZ
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2019, 01:32:02 PM »
Sucks they're seemingly not coming to the Seattle area.  I can't travel to see them this time around.

Offline Victimlas

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2019, 01:54:01 PM »
We are having a preshow meetup  at Gabby's Sports Bar. Hope you can make it!
https://www.facebook.com/events/2440105852894595/

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2019, 03:23:20 PM »
I'll likely check it out.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2019, 01:32:40 PM »
Getting on the plane to Phoenix. Anyone know whats fun to do there?

Offline arkdtmp

• Eat My Ass and Balls
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2019, 11:03:46 AM »
Hey guys!! Quick reminder- DT USA (https://www.facebook.com/dreamtheaterusa/) is organizing a pre-show meetup at Gabby’s Sports Bar and Grill (635 N Country Club Dr, Mesa, AZ 85201).

Grab some good food, drinks, and meet other Dream Theater fans before the show. We are having a Trivia Contest and there will be Grand Prizes for the winners!

MEET-UP: 3:00-5:00PM
DOORS OPEN : 7:00PM
SHOW TIME: 8:00PM

See you there!

Adi

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2019, 11:21:00 AM »
Cool. I'll be there.

Offline BFRedrocks

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2019, 01:25:04 PM »
Hey guys!! Quick reminder- DT USA (https://www.facebook.com/dreamtheaterusa/) is organizing a pre-show meetup at Gabby’s Sports Bar and Grill (635 N Country Club Dr, Mesa, AZ 85201).

Grab some good food, drinks, and meet other Dream Theater fans before the show. We are having a Trivia Contest and there will be Grand Prizes for the winners!

See you there!

Adi

I'll be at the show tonight (Orchestra Row B) with the wife.  I doubt (unfortunately) we'll be able to make the pre-show meet-up, but the tix say show time is 7:30 PM.  Is it actually 8 PM?

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2019, 05:23:43 PM »

See you there!

Adi

I'll be at the show tonight (Orchestra Row B) with the wife.  I doubt (unfortunately) we'll be able to make the pre-show meet-up, but the tix say show time is 7:30 PM.  Is it actually 8 PM?

Its 7:30 PM. 

Offline Gromit1710

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2019, 12:59:50 AM »
Just got back from the show! It was great to hear SFAM in it's entirety live again after 20 years. Man... time flies, eh?

I was in Row F, about 10 rows back and in between John P and James. The mix was decent, perhaps a bit harsh at times but nothing to cry or complain about.

The whole band performed amazingly, as usual.  No gripes at all there.

The crowd was kind of disappointing though. The venue was maybe 3/4 full and seemed quieter than usual for a DT show at the Ikeda. My friend and I were more than once the only people standing in a large patch around us.

The people to my right seemed annoyed and irritated that we were cheering, putting our hands up and singing along at the top of our lungs during songs like "Home", "Nightmare To Remember" and "Finally Free". The people behinds us repeatedly screamed "SIT DOWN!" and "DOWN IN FRONT". We obliged them once and only once during "Through Her Eyes". The rest of the time we ignored them, although it kind of tainted my night. I mean.. we were in a front and center, close to the stage section. WHAT DID YOU THINK WAS GOING TO HAPPEN?

After a car ride home and now half a mixed drink, I'd opine that maybe us OG DT fans are getting old?  It's a depressing thought. But I saw a LOT of young people there, so that was encouraging. 

Online geeeemo

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2019, 10:05:14 AM »
I have been to a couple concerts lately and people seemed to want to sit. The bands have  - in their own way and not snarky - asked people to stand, it's a metal concert after all!.  Then everyone stands. Most don't sit after that.  This is a bit of an annoyance to me, people sitting at a rock concert. I am 55, have plantar fasciitis, wear heals many times and always stand. I have to be able to move to the music. I can't imagine sitting for Home!  :omg:

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2019, 01:20:03 PM »
Gromit, I was likely behind you. I agree it made me laugh when people sat down. The guys behind me stood the entire time as well.

The only song where people sat was Through Her Eyes. It was lovely.

At Wits End was amazing.

Offline BFRedrocks

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2019, 02:01:41 PM »
I was in Row B right in front of JP and I stood the whole time.  For most of the first set, the guy in front of me sat and I was like Dude, why you sitting at a metal show?  Well, when he did finally stand during SFAM, it was like a damn total eclipse!  The guy was a tree trunk, maybe 6' 7" and 250 lbs?  I'm only 5' 8" so it was a strain to see JP the rest of the show.  One time I stood on my toes and peered out from behind the guy in front of me and caught JP's attention...I could see him smile and laugh a bit.  :lol

Great show overall...maybe the loudest mix for JM I've heard in my 25+ DT shows.  I thought everything about the band and show was spot on, although they seemed a bit less lively in the beginning but really picked it up as the show went on, especially MM.  IMHO, the contrast between the technicality and musicianship of SFAM versus their newer stuff was really dramatic...even my wife, who is a newer DT fan and not really into heavy rock music, noticed that.  A quick example off the top of my head, just listen to DoE followed by Paralyzed (which I still like) and hear the difference.

I agree that the crowd, both in numbers and energy, was disappointing.  A LOT of folks sat and it was kinda sad to see such a small venue not even close to full for a DT show.  I still had a great time!

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2019, 02:17:40 PM »
I was in Row B right in front of JP and I stood the whole time.  For most of the first set, the guy in front of me sat and I was like Dude, why you sitting at a metal show?  Well, when he did finally stand during SFAM, it was like a damn total eclipse!  The guy was a tree trunk, maybe 6' 7" and 250 lbs?  I'm only 5' 8" so it was a strain to see JP the rest of the show.  One time I stood on my toes and peered out from behind the guy in front of me and caught JP's attention...I could see him smile and laugh a bit.  :lol

Great show overall...maybe the loudest mix for JM I've heard in my 25+ DT shows.  I thought everything about the band and show was spot on, although they seemed a bit less lively in the beginning but really picked it up as the show went on, especially MM.  IMHO, the contrast between the technicality and musicianship of SFAM versus their newer stuff was really dramatic...even my wife, who is a newer DT fan and not really into heavy rock music, noticed that.  A quick example off the top of my head, just listen to DoE followed by Paralyzed (which I still like) and hear the difference.

I agree that the crowd, both in numbers and energy, was disappointing.  A LOT of folks sat and it was kinda sad to see such a small venue not even close to full for a DT show.  I still had a great time!

I can care less if the venue was full. The crowd sitting was disappointing. But I still had fun and enjoyed it.

After Untethered Angel, they really took the energy full force to the top. I think, when LaBrie started Nightmare is when they finally got settled.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2019, 02:47:31 PM »
Normally, far be it from me to criticize the band's decisions, BUT...I really wish they'd stop insisting on seated venues.  A venue with standing room in the front and seats behind is ideal for catering to everyone's interests.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2019, 10:05:52 AM »
Normally, far be it from me to criticize the band's decisions, BUT...I really wish they'd stop insisting on seated venues.  A venue with standing room in the front and seats behind is ideal for catering to everyone's interests.
then you might have to travel to Europe, because seeing as they largely play larger places in that part of the world (including my native Germany), you wouldn't have to criticise that aspect in that case. (apart from the TA tour, where they only played in theatres and concert houses, but that was the only time in recent memory, maybe ever, concerning DT concerts in Europe)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"