Author Topic: PROGPOWER USA XXIII  (Read 30646 times)

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Re: PROGPOWER USA XXI
« Reply #70 on: November 14, 2019, 08:55:35 AM »
Now thats how you save Days 1-2.

Haven't heard Remedy Lane at all. Guess I have to now. I hope they plays a couple other songs as well.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #71 on: November 14, 2019, 08:56:32 AM »

Haven't heard Remedy Lane at all. Guess I have to now. I hope they plays a couple other songs as well.

That was my mistake, it's The Perfect Element, Pt. 1 :)
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #72 on: November 14, 2019, 09:02:16 AM »

That was my mistake, it's The Perfect Element, Pt. 1 :)

My fault as well because I didn't watch the video and saw your post.  :lol

Still though, at least I heard TPE.1 a bit. Probably about the same as Remedy Lane. Don't know why, I just never listened to the album.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: November 14, 2019, 09:08:44 AM »
I havent listened to PoS in many many years.  Guess I will have to give them a listen again and see what I think, I don't remember loving them, but that was so long ago and I can't even recall what they sound like.  I'm pretty sure I listened to Remedy Lane though.  Thats a cool get regardless.  It seems day 2 is always pretty strong.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #74 on: November 14, 2019, 09:28:20 AM »
I'm not a PoS fan, to put it mildly.  But, I do think it's a smart move because a lot of people do. 

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: November 14, 2019, 10:37:44 AM »
Wow, Darkwater is headlining day 2?  I might have to get down there for that, unless they do a full U.S. tour to coincide with the appearance.  Their new album Human is my album of the year so far.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: November 14, 2019, 10:40:08 AM »
Wow, Darkwater is headlining day 2?  I might have to get down there for that, unless they do a full U.S. tour to coincide with the appearance.  Their new album Human is my album of the year so far.

I think they are the day 2 opener, but highly recommend coming down regardless

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: November 14, 2019, 11:12:25 AM »

Stratovarius is headlining. Darkwater is opening.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: November 14, 2019, 11:50:33 AM »
The opener still gets an hour, well usually. Not sure about the 5 band line up this year if that changes things. But typically every band gets at least an hour which is pretty awesome thing about progpower, so even if they are the opener you still get a solid set.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #79 on: November 15, 2019, 06:24:11 PM »
I'm starting to listen to albums by each band on the lineup. Good so far.

Not really into Ishahn. Great music, but would be better with less harsh vocals.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: November 15, 2019, 07:33:52 PM »
Not really into Ishahn either, feel the same.  Definitely going to check them out though

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #81 on: November 15, 2019, 08:02:35 PM »
Not really into Ishahn either, feel the same.  Definitely going to check them out though

Same here. Music is too good not to miss.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: November 25, 2019, 05:48:58 PM »
Just going through PP memory lane and here's another PP jingle yell (NSFW, a quick Fuck Yea!  :metalhttps://youtu.be/5--lA3OLjK8?t=19 which reminds me I totally forgot about their new album.  I should check it out, but being that I have little hope of them coming back to the US soon, it's been placed on the back burner.  I haven't heard much about it though but then again I feel like I'd only hear about it here.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #83 on: November 25, 2019, 08:14:25 PM »
Jingle.yell... FTW!!   :metal
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: December 04, 2019, 01:28:13 PM »
My progpower discovery continues this week.  Been listening to Shattered Skies and Arion.  I like both of these bands.  SHattered Skies seems to be djenty which I can dig, the riffage is awesome here and I enjoy the vocals.  I'll need to get an album as I really enjoyed the 20 songs I streamed yesterday.  My friend gave me the latest Arion album (Life is Not Beautiful) so I've been listening to that today.  I enjoy this melodic metal a lot.  It's nothing different but just solid music. 

Day 4 is starting off as a really awesome day for me, Arion -> Thank You Scientist -> Beast in Black WOW that's looking like the best three band stretch so far for me.  I've got a lot of homework for the day 2 bands though so it's possible there's a better trifecta, but right now, my obsession with Beast in Black is going to be hard to top.   I'm actually going to try really hard to see TYS on the 14th but if my flight is delayed coming home by anymore than 15 minutes, it's likely not going to happen.  But I really like their Terraformer album a lot.  Very different for me, but it's super interesting musically.

Also Arion and Rhapsody's latest albums feature a track with Elize Ryd, would be awesome if she somehow made it out for the day but that's extremely doubtful.  Would be cool if they got another female vocalist to sing those songs live though.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: December 04, 2019, 02:28:06 PM »
Listen to the Arion debut, Last of us.  It's far superior to Life is Not Beautiful
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: December 04, 2019, 02:29:45 PM »
That first Shattered Skies record is brilliant.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: December 04, 2019, 02:35:11 PM »
Listen to the Arion debut, Last of us.  It's far superior to Life is Not Beautiful

My same friend said he will give me this album next.  That's promising if its far superior though.

That first Shattered Skies record is brilliant.

Maybe I'll get that one then.  I haven't even looked at their discography, just let youtube's playlist role as there was no reason to stop it yesterday.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #88 on: December 04, 2019, 10:04:30 PM »
Cram...For Shattered Skies, I recommend a song called Beneath The Waves.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: December 05, 2019, 08:35:24 AM »
Cram...For Shattered Skies, I recommend a song called Beneath The Waves.

Listened to in my youtube playlist a few times already  :metal

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: December 23, 2019, 10:21:58 AM »
Day 1 is official  :metal

MINDMAZE will be opening Day #1 with their own unique brand of heavy metal thunder!
Next up will be MARK ZONDER with GARY WEHRKAMP playing a set comprised of songs from the ZW Band, Shadow Gallery, Fates Warning, Warlord and more. The entire set will be presented in SURROUND SOUND – a first for ProgPower USA.
Co-Headliner – the mighty English band POWER QUEST performing their iconic album MAGIC NEVER DIES in its entirety! This will be a one-of-a-kind set that will ONLY BE PERFORMED TONIGHT.
Headliner – DREAM EVIL will finally make their debut ProgPower appearance. Certainly it will go down as a banner show in the Book of Heavy Metal.
On-sale date announced soon!
I hope to see you on Wednesday, 9/9/2020!
Gratefully,
Nathan “The SwordLord” Block
Proud to promote ProgPower USA Day #1

I guess my Dream Evil homework from a couple years ago will pay off (I didn't love them to want to keep going deeper into their discography when they cancelled, but they were good enough to keep on my phone and not turn off when coming on shuffle).  Kind of surprised they announced a new headliner though, thought it was Power Quest.  Says co-headline so I'd imagine both get 90 minute sets then so not sure it matters besides order.  I'm just glad it's a normal day 1 in the main room with 4 bands, while I don't know anything of MARK ZONDER with GARY WEHRKAMP, this feels exactly like what PP Day 1 has been and should continue to hopefully be.  I've got to check out Mindmaze but I've heard of them.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: December 23, 2019, 10:24:59 AM »
Duuuude. If Power Quest gets co-headline and a full 90 minutes then I wonder what they'll play after MND. Time to message Steve with a Christmas list of requests :gadough:

Looks like Zonder/Wehrkamp released an album this year, so... that's going on my 2019 homework list that will never end apparently  :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: December 23, 2019, 10:27:53 AM »
I don't see why they wouldn't get a 90 minute set, I guess 75 is possible, but as coheadline that usually means the same time unless Dream Evil also is 75 minutes?  Whatever, I have lots of homework still.  Actually started listening to some Stratovarius recently, not enough to form opinions, but just trying to make some progress on my own homework that is growing. 

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: December 23, 2019, 11:58:28 AM »
That's awesome for Mindmaze!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: December 23, 2019, 12:05:31 PM »

Lunch band fo sho. Hangover recovery set maybe depending on Tuesday night's shenanigans.  :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: December 23, 2019, 12:18:12 PM »

Lunch band fo sho. Hangover recovery set maybe depending on Tuesday night's shenanigans.  :lol

You're daft.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #96 on: December 23, 2019, 12:22:09 PM »
Hella stoked for Mindmaze, and they've gotta be even more so. They've been long time attendees, I'm sure it's huge for them to be taking the stage.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #97 on: December 23, 2019, 08:53:21 PM »
Any idea when those day 1 and 2 tickets are going to be on sale?

I need Dream Evil.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: December 24, 2019, 06:57:38 AM »
Haven't seen any announcement on that

Offline Lethean

« Reply #99 on: December 24, 2019, 08:15:55 AM »
I'm happy for Mindmaze - it must be really exciting for them.   I have to say though - the one time I saw them live, which was just last year, they really seemed like a band who hadn't played live much.  I wasn't familiar with their material but they seemed ok while playing.  But the stage banter was just cringy and uncomfortable.  I felt like uncomfortable for them.  A number of people in the audience felt the same because comments were being made during and after the show.  (Not loud enough for the band to hear on stage or anything).  You don't have to be good at that sort of thing to put on a good show.  Just don't talk.  Limit it to "thank you so much ProgPower" and "we're so happy to be here" and just play.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #100 on: December 24, 2019, 08:29:01 AM »

You're daft.
Indeed. Awesome band :metal
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #101 on: December 25, 2019, 10:39:21 AM »
I'm happy for Mindmaze - it must be really exciting for them.   I have to say though - the one time I saw them live, which was just last year, they really seemed like a band who hadn't played live much.  I wasn't familiar with their material but they seemed ok while playing.  But the stage banter was just cringy and uncomfortable.  I felt like uncomfortable for them.  A number of people in the audience felt the same because comments were being made during and after the show.  (Not loud enough for the band to hear on stage or anything).  You don't have to be good at that sort of thing to put on a good show.  Just don't talk.  Limit it to "thank you so much ProgPower" and "we're so happy to be here" and just play.

Sarah is an awesome singer, but her stage banter has never been a strength. For PP I agree that less will almost certainly be more. I can also guess that for that show in particular they will decide exactly when they want to talk and what will be said.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: December 25, 2019, 09:31:04 PM »
Any idea when those day 1 and 2 tickets are going to be on sale?

I need Dream Evil.

It's on their FB now.

Day 2: January 11th
Day 1: February 8th
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: January 07, 2020, 10:11:47 AM »
Good news on my end re: ProgPower! Once again bringing a new attendee who loves metal to death, and just confirmed my sponsorship for Power Quest. HELL YEAH! Day 2 tickets go on sale this Saturday, friends  :metal

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: January 07, 2020, 10:36:41 AM »
Do we know the prices?

Also,

Started listening to Last of Us this week and wow, you are so right.  This blows the second album away and actually makes me really excited to see them.

Still haven't picked up a Shattered Skies album, but consistently listen to them on youtube. 

The new Night Flight Orchestra single is awesome, the new album might be really good as the rest.

Started listening to Stratovarious, I actually have the self titled album from many many years ago I think.  It wasn't even on my phone because back then I don't think I really loved it, and well, it's just alright in my mind.  However, I've listened to some other newer stuff that isn't too bad.  Think I'll get one of the newer ones with the current version of the band. 

Still lots of homework to do for days 1 and 2.  I need to check out that Power Quest album for example.  The one song I heard from a PP post on facebook really didn't interest me but I should give the full album a fair shot. 

I also watched a full The Gathering concert on youtube last week.  I've never been too into them at all, but I found some hope in listening that maybe there's some good stuff in there that I just never dug into to discover.  However, they aren't high on my list of homework. 

And I listened to Conception's Flow a few more times recently, it's starting to click although I wonder if it's a bit forced from my end.  Regardless, I'm a bit more excited to see them today than I was a couple months ago.