Author Topic: PROGPOWER USA XXIII  (Read 31405 times)

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
Re: PROGPOWER USA XXI
« Reply #315 on: August 24, 2023, 11:56:41 AM »
I've always wanted to go to ProgPower, but it is at a bad time of year for us, always sells out, and usually the lineup has too many bands we're not interested in.

For me, this year, the bands I care to see:

Caligula's Horse
Kamelot
Unleash the Archers

I'm sure all the bands are great, and I'd enjoy if I was there, but this is one of the weaker PPs that I've seen (for my personal tastes).
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #316 on: August 24, 2023, 12:20:23 PM »
Hey, you all know what I like (and don't like).   I love Blackmore, I love melody in my singing, I love James LaBrie, I love Mike Portnoy and Phil Collins as drummers (over pure technical bazillion note a minute guys like Mangini and say, Scott Travis or Mickey Dee).  No growls.

It's embarrassing that for a FOUR DAY FESTIVAL, I've heard of a couple of those bands, but can't name one song from ANY of them.   Give me one band per day that I should listen to, please.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #317 on: August 24, 2023, 12:27:52 PM »
Hey, you all know what I like (and don't like).   I love Blackmore, I love melody in my singing, I love James LaBrie, I love Mike Portnoy and Phil Collins as drummers (over pure technical bazillion note a minute guys like Mangini and say, Scott Travis or Mickey Dee).  No growls.

It's embarrassing that for a FOUR DAY FESTIVAL, I've heard of a couple of those bands, but can't name one song from ANY of them.   Give me one band per day that I should listen to, please.

I'll start with Caligula's Horse on Day 3 and Myrath on Day 4...

Caligula's Horse...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYWD1abgKI8

Myrath...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcDXB000XIs

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #318 on: August 24, 2023, 12:28:33 PM »
   Give me one band per day that I should listen to, please.

UNLEASH THE ARCHERS - "Apex" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTWbVUUkWm4
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #319 on: August 24, 2023, 12:50:08 PM »
   Give me one band per day that I should listen to, please.

UNLEASH THE ARCHERS - "Apex" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTWbVUUkWm4

Yeah, this might be up your alley.  Always thought this song is very Iron Maiden like.  Really love the last two Unleash the Archers albums.  From my understanding of your tastes, I'm not really sure what I can suggest besides this song that I think you'll really like.

And Bill, the festival is pretty niche so it's not really soemthing to be ashamed of if you aren't familiar.  I can't recall you ever really mentioning power metal as something you dig.  Maybe RJ's choices will be up your alley though being prog.

Regardless, I'll share my own video of Battle Beast from last week, I really thought this performance was incredible (their set, not just specifically this song) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTBdM4ZrAZk

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #320 on: August 24, 2023, 01:05:05 PM »

If you're alright with acoustic stuff, I recommend this live acoustic gig from Green Carnation. The video quality isn't great but I've returned to this one quite a few times.

A Night Under the Dam

If you don't want live stuff, here are some studio (also acoustic) versions:

The Burden is Mine... Alone
Sweet Leaf
Alone
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #321 on: August 24, 2023, 01:08:04 PM »
Green Carnation are also doing an acoustic set on Day 4 before the festival starts.  It was a seperate ticket which I didn't get.  I found by day 4 I really struggle to get out of bed for that first band so seeing that set would be very unlikely. 

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #322 on: August 24, 2023, 01:10:26 PM »
Green Carnation are also doing an acoustic set on Day 4 before the festival starts.  It was a seperate ticket which I didn't get.  I found by day 4 I really struggle to get out of bed for that first band so seeing that set would be very unlikely.

There would've been no way I'd skip that. I'd rather skip Kamelot on Day 3. :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #323 on: August 24, 2023, 01:12:24 PM »

There would've been no way I'd skip that. I'd rather skip Kamelot on Day 3. :lol

That says a lot, damn.  It did eventually sell out, they actually don't usually sell the early set to the public.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #324 on: August 24, 2023, 02:12:27 PM »
I haven't listened to the Green Carnation stuff yet, but I REALLY liked Unleash the Archers.  I liked the Myrath better than the Caligula's Horse, but they're both good, and I heard a snippet of a second Caligula's Horse song that sounded really cool.

Thanks so much!

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #325 on: August 24, 2023, 03:10:55 PM »
I'd be super pumped to see Kamelot (again), Ad Infinitum, and Myrath. I'd stay for Unleash the Archers too.

But that's it.

Give me a tour of Kamelot, Ad Ininitum, and Myrath and you got my money.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #326 on: August 24, 2023, 03:32:29 PM »
I'd be super pumped to see Kamelot (again), Ad Infinitum, and Myrath. I'd stay for Unleash the Archers too.

But that's it.

Give me a tour of Kamelot, Ad Ininitum, and Myrath and you got my money.

I was hoping Kamelot would've dragged Myrath or Caligula's Horse with them, instead of Battle Beast and Xandria

Online axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #327 on: August 24, 2023, 07:57:10 PM »
Yeah, I was super bummed that there was no US tour for Caligula's Horse built around ProgPower. I'd have considered going to just day 4 if it had the Caligula's + Kamelot combo instead of Friday.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline NoFred

« Reply #328 on: August 24, 2023, 11:59:52 PM »

Caligula's Horse...

Myrath...

Yeah Caligula’s and melody go hand in hand, don’t miss out on them.

Otherwise agreed, as a festival it could be compressed a couple of days.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #329 on: August 25, 2023, 03:37:37 AM »
Otherwise agreed, as a festival it could be compressed a couple of days.

If it were compressed, then every band wouldn't get at least an hour to play and they'd probably have to cut meet and greets.  The way it is now is good because it allows all the bands to get an opportunity.

For example, Battle Beast has toured as an opener mostly in the US (I think they did some headline dates, but not a full tour before).  So I got to see them a week ago but only a 45 minute set.  At ProgPower they'll get a few more songs and I like it that way and am really excited to see a longer set.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #330 on: August 28, 2023, 09:54:05 PM »

That says a lot, damn.  It did eventually sell out, they actually don't usually sell the early set to the public.

I'll probably have a ticket if you want to go.

And you should definitely want to go.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #331 on: August 28, 2023, 10:00:09 PM »

I'll probably have a ticket if you want to go.

And you should definitely want to go.

It's not so much about want, but the ability to get out of bed.  Day 4 mornings/afternoons have been rough for me historically and I'm not sure this year will be any better.  :lol if you still have it available come Friday night, maybe I'll join if I think I'll be up to it but certainly don't hold that ticket for me.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #332 on: September 08, 2023, 11:44:58 AM »
Day 2 was incredible! 

My videos:

Seven Kingdoms - Valonqar LIVE @ ProgPower USA Center Stage Atlanta GA 9/7/2023

The Halo Effect - Last of Our Kind LIVE @ ProgPower USA Center Stage Atlanta GA 9/7/2023

The Halo Effect - Conditional LIVE @ ProgPower USA Center Stage Atlanta GA 9/7/2023

VOLA - Ghosts LIVE @ ProgPower USA Center Stage Atlanta GA 9/7/2023

VOLA - Paper Wolf LIVE @ ProgPower USA Center Stage Atlanta GA 9/7/2023

Beast in Black - Revengeance Machine LIVE @ ProgPower USA Center Stage Atlanta GA 9/7/2023

Beast in Black - True Believer LIVE @ ProgPower USA Center Stage Atlanta GA 9/7/2023

Some pictures:

Beast in Black:

VOLA:

The Halo Effect:

With Seven Kingdoms:

With Beast in Black:

Beast in Black signed promo photo they were giving out:

Some comments....

Such a fun day.  Seven Kingdoms were awesome to start, Sabrina's vocals are really strong live.  Crowd was solid for them as the first band.  Got to see an hour long set so more music than I've seen from them the previous 3 times.  They were so nice at the meet and greet. 

Zero Hour were solid.  I didn't record any full songs, but I have clips that I'll put up when I'm back home.  I wasn't familair with them, but enjoyed the half set I saw.  I wanted to get on the Beast in Black meet and greet line. It was also nice to run into Lethean during their set  :yarr

The Halo Effect were probably the band i wanted to see the most.  Thought they delivered playing maybe the entire debut album, which I love. Great energy and performance.

VOLA were the surprise for me.  I didn't love the songs I sampled, thought they were good and interesting, but didn't grasp me while checking them out a bit over the last few months here and there.  THe live show was really good though.  The songs may be hit or miss for me, but the performance was top notch.  They did the full 90 minute headline show with their lights and all.  I think a lot of people were impressed by this set.

Beast in Black, while my favorite of the bands this day, were a ton of fun, but their live performance is too reliant on backing tracks for me to truly love.  Fun, hell yeah, impressive live.. maybe.  The guitar solos are so fun and they have a lot of choreography with the guitarists that's highly entertaining.  Sadly their sound kept coming in and out throughout the entire set.  It was quite odd.  Crowd was wild for them though.  I also got Yannis to sign their From Hell With Love album insert saying "Happy Birthday Jamie  :heart" becuase it was my girlfriend's birthday yesterday and she said I could make it up for her by having him signed something for her.  I haven't told her I completed this task  :metal

Sadly, since I woke up at 4:30am to get a 7am flight for yesterday, by the time VOLA was one, my head started pounding.  Kind of ruined some of the enjoyment.  I muscled it out to see the end of the show, but bolted afterwards to get to bed.  I only just now feel better so hoping today is a bit better come late night. Either way, I'm super excited.  Heading out now!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #333 on: September 08, 2023, 12:21:31 PM »
Curious to see who they announce for next year's show....wondering if my random Lovebites prediction will happen. (Glenn posted Judgement Day as one of his albums of the month so he's totally familiar with them, they've never played the US and Glen said there are a ton of debut bands this year, and they would fit perfectly with PPUSA's crowd, they'd fucking slay there)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #334 on: September 08, 2023, 12:48:15 PM »
I love the pics, Marc. Very cool that the bands themselves seem into it, like they are having fun too. 

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #335 on: September 08, 2023, 01:16:54 PM »
So glad you got a picture of the Seven Kingdoms singers Cheeseburger slippers.  :lol
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Glasser

« Reply #336 on: September 08, 2023, 03:14:07 PM »

Caligula's Horse...

Myrath...

RJ, is Myrath selling the new CD there?

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #337 on: September 08, 2023, 04:52:49 PM »
I'm not in attendance, I think Marc is the only DTFer I know there.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #338 on: September 08, 2023, 05:31:30 PM »

Caligula's Horse...

Myrath...

Their merch isn't out yet until tomorrow

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #339 on: September 08, 2023, 05:36:07 PM »
Curious to see who they announce for next year's show....wondering if my random Lovebites prediction will happen. (Glenn posted Judgement Day as one of his albums of the month so he's totally familiar with them, they've never played the US and Glen said there are a ton of debut bands this year, and they would fit perfectly with PPUSA's crowd, they'd fucking slay there)

Will find out in a bit, but I heard a rumor that Dark Tranquility is playing (The Halo Effect has a couple of their members so it's plausible)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #340 on: September 08, 2023, 05:40:59 PM »

Not that I'd go to Atlanta but it'd be cool if they did a tour as well.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #341 on: September 08, 2023, 05:51:25 PM »

Not that I'd go to Atlanta but it'd be cool if they did a tour as well.

That's be my hope as well, Lovebites alone wouldn't be enough to get me to make the trek. Though they'd sure fuck with ticket sales.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #342 on: September 08, 2023, 07:38:15 PM »

Caligula's Horse...

Myrath...

Their merch isn't out yet until tomorrow

Oh you're there, duh, my bad. There's nowhere to buy a physical cd. I wish I was there for that alone. You live in NY right?

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #343 on: September 08, 2023, 08:03:11 PM »
Aaaaand Lovebites is in for 2024!!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #344 on: September 08, 2023, 08:06:03 PM »
You got what you wanted, now get out here lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #345 on: September 08, 2023, 08:07:18 PM »

Where are you seeing that?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #346 on: September 08, 2023, 08:11:09 PM »

Where are you seeing that?

One of my Jmetal buds is in attendance, he just messaged me. Also Soen and Amorphis for day 3.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #347 on: September 08, 2023, 08:13:04 PM »
PPUSA 2024 ROSTER:

FRIDAY:
STRIKER
FIFTH ANGEL
ELEGY
SOEN
LOVEBITES
AMORPHIS

SATURDAY:
FROZEN CROWN
DISILLUSION
ELEINE
DAMIAN WILSON
PAGAN'S MIND
WINGER

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #348 on: September 08, 2023, 08:14:12 PM »
Well fuck Saturday! :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #349 on: September 08, 2023, 08:16:04 PM »
I definitely thought winger was a joke  :biggrin: