Author Topic: PROGPOWER USA XXIII  (Read 30621 times)

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: PROGPOWER USA XXI
« Reply #210 on: April 21, 2022, 02:01:17 PM »
Officially all booked now for the festival  :metal

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #211 on: April 21, 2022, 03:13:05 PM »
I still need to book a hotel, but then I am thinking of selling my tickets. I really still want to go to see Stratovarius mainly. That is the only reason I want to attend this year.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #212 on: April 21, 2022, 04:59:37 PM »
I had thought about selling my tickets and cutting my losses with all the line up changes and the new schedule being in June, but I've started to warm up to a lot of the replacement bands (Wilderun for example) and I just know the environment alone will bring good times and fun.  I'm now VERY much looking forward to this now as it starts to get close.  Also, just the vacation part of it as well. It'll be nice to get away for a long weekend. 

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #213 on: April 21, 2022, 11:42:48 PM »
I might just go and do it up. I just need to get my work situated first and we'll see.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #214 on: May 05, 2022, 02:06:15 AM »
I had thought about selling my tickets and cutting my losses with all the line up changes and the new schedule being in June, but I've started to warm up to a lot of the replacement bands (Wilderun for example) and I just know the environment alone will bring good times and fun.  I'm now VERY much looking forward to this now as it starts to get close.  Also, just the vacation part of it as well. It'll be nice to get away for a long weekend.

Well, I convinced myself to go and found some good deals on a flight and hotel. It's not close by, but close enough by the MARTA to take that back, and I can also Lyft or Uber if it's closed by the time the show ends.

Offline Melphina

« Reply #215 on: May 05, 2022, 05:53:55 AM »
The lineup went from being amazing to being pretty bad imo. Lots of bands I was dying to see but most canceled. Got everything booked though so I'm still going.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #216 on: May 05, 2022, 10:56:45 AM »
The lineup went from being amazing to being pretty bad imo. Lots of bands I was dying to see but most canceled. Got everything booked though so I'm still going.

I definitely hear you on that. But I mainly want to see Stratovarious, so that alone was my deciding factor.

Offline Melphina

« Reply #217 on: May 05, 2022, 11:36:19 AM »

I definitely hear you on that. But I mainly want to see Stratovarious, so that alone was my deciding factor.

Yup, that's my #1 too. At least they're still playing. If they had dropped, I just wasn't gonna go.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #218 on: May 05, 2022, 11:39:31 AM »
I think Arion is my #1 to see this year, I love their newest album.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #219 on: May 05, 2022, 01:39:01 PM »

Yup, that's my #1 too. At least they're still playing. If they had dropped, I just wasn't gonna go.

Same here, If they were announced earlier they dropped, I would've sold my ticket a while back.

I was really looking forward to seeing Shattered Skies just as much too.

But it is what it is, and I am going to make the best of the bands that will be playing.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #220 on: May 05, 2022, 01:50:09 PM »
I really wanted to see Night Flight Orchestra, that would have been such a blast

It is what it is.  Sucks for the promoters who I know can only do so much in any given year and had it 10x worse with the covid postponements.  But at least the main days are sold out so its not like this year will be a total failure.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #221 on: May 05, 2022, 02:01:35 PM »
I really wanted to see Night Flight Orchestra, that would have been such a blast

It is what it is.  Sucks for the promoters who I know can only do so much in any given year and had it 10x worse with the covid postponements.  But at least the main days are sold out so its not like this year will be a total failure.

It would have been amazing to form a conga line for their set.  :lol

Offline Blackcastle

« Reply #222 on: May 06, 2022, 07:25:42 AM »
I assume there are those who read these posts, have never been to ProgPower and are considering going in the future.  It does the festival and its promoters a disservice to refer to the lineup as "bad," even if tagging on an "imo." Although there is certainly subjectivity in feelings about bands, I see no fair usage of the word to describe this lineup.  The lineup is full of excellent bands, the majority of which were on the initial announcement for 2020.  If there is a need to criticize for a band not appearing this year, that criticism would be better placed on the band who chose not to reschedule -- although in almost every case it seems the festival believes the reschedulings to have been made only after reasonable efforts to appear (with some out of the band's control).  It is likely that no one is more disappointed than Glenn that Night Flight is unable to make it this year and the festival doesn't control Covid or its effects on bands and visa processing.  Speaking for myself, while I'm disappointed that some bands can't be there, I continue to count the days to returning to that magical place that is ProgPower.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #223 on: May 06, 2022, 08:04:50 AM »
Glenn, is that you?  :biggrin: (but clearly you are part of the festival, 9 posts on the site all for progpower including pushing ticket sales)

I think it's fair to say that while some, including myself, have expressed some disappointment in the line up changes, all have said they are still going so I think that shows the festival is a bit more than just the bands.  I know I still respect the hell out of the work that goes into putting this on.  I've warmed up to some of the new bands so even a band like Jason Bieler who I wasn't familiar with (and I don't love his album now that I've checked it out a few times) will present something unique and interesting.  It's going to be a fun time.

Offline Blackcastle

« Reply #224 on: May 06, 2022, 08:19:07 AM »
No, I'm not associated with the festival.  Just a big fan and part of a group of people who love attending.  I created this thread to promote the fest and help spread the word.  As you note, I don't normally post on DTF, but I do read and felt the need to respond on this topic.  It is certainly fair to be disappointed about lineup changes -- most years, I feel that also (in particular this time losing "replacement band" Green Carnation).  However, I don't believe any lineup change has ever caused by the festival.  Usually it is the visa folks, as you know well.  This time there were additional understandable factors on the side of the bands regarding an ability to commit again to a postponed show.  Just making clear that PPUSA didn't chose to lose bands and the lineup has many great ones.  I'm not saying there was intent to disparage.  I am just admittedly defensive of the festival.  See you in Atlanta!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #225 on: May 06, 2022, 08:34:14 AM »
Yep, it's usually visa issues... Except that time James was all lol nope.

Offline Blackcastle

« Reply #226 on: May 06, 2022, 08:58:02 AM »
Yes, James did the festival wrong.  Fortunately, Mike stepped up again and it ended up better.  Teramaze was another like that, too.

Offline Melphina

« Reply #227 on: May 06, 2022, 09:18:38 AM »
I don't think it does a disservice at all. It's just my opinion. I still love the fest. Just not this year's lineup. Before covid and all the cancelations, the original lineup was one of the best festival lineups for my taste I would've ever gone to. Now not so much. It's valid to express my personal disappointment in it. To me, yeah, it isn't an interesting lineup. That had nothing to do with my respect and admiration for the promoters, one of whom I'm friends with and love to death. Fully aware of how hard up against the wall they are this year and every year. I'm just gonna party more than watch the bands this time. Not complaining about that.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #228 on: May 06, 2022, 09:38:44 AM »
However, I don't believe any lineup change has ever caused by the festival.  Usually it is the visa folks, as you know well.  This time there were additional understandable factors on the side of the bands regarding an ability to commit again to a postponed show.  Just making clear that PPUSA didn't chose to lose bands and the lineup has many great ones.  I'm not saying there was intent to disparage.  I am just admittedly defensive of the festival.  See you in Atlanta!

Yeah, no one blamed the festival for the cancelations and I think we all agree the fest does best with the hand it's dealt. Like Melphina, the original line up just suited my tastes better. That's all. It's going to be fun. Curious about the bands for next year, maybe it will be include some who couldn't do this year's.

Offline Blackcastle

« Reply #229 on: May 06, 2022, 10:18:39 AM »
It's valid to express my personal disappointment in it. To me, yeah, it isn't an interesting lineup. That had nothing to do with my respect and admiration for the promoters, one of whom I'm friends with and love to death. Fully aware of how hard up against the wall they are this year and every year. I'm just gonna party more than watch the bands this time. Not complaining about that.

Certainly your opinion is as valid as mine.  Glad to see your festival comments. 

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #230 on: May 09, 2022, 09:28:02 PM »
Getting myself ready for the show, listening to albums to familiarize myself with all the bands music and styles more.

Listening and seeing videos of Spektra. I wonder if Jeff Scott Soto will end up guesting on one of their songs.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #231 on: May 25, 2022, 09:19:11 AM »
One week away!

I watched Glen's latest video about the fest and very happy to hear that all bands are still doing the signing sessions. Just need to remember to bring a mask each day since you'll have to wear it for when you get to meet the bands it seems. Not a big deal, although I do hope to be able to get to meet and take pictures with some of the bands like past festivals.  My picture with Tommy Karevik for example is one of my all time favorite selfies. And my pic with Mayan is so fucking cool. But I understand the situation and am just happy it's still happening.  I've got some things to bring now to get signed. 

Also sounds like there won't be any food inside the venue.  Not that the pizza was anything special, but it was usually clutch to have it available right there because historically with the bands and signing sessions, I often forgot to eat so being able to grab a slice was pretty useful, I guess I'll be hitting up that whole foods more.  A cashless bar isn't a big change for me either since almost all the venues around here are like that now too. 

Offline Melphina

« Reply #232 on: May 28, 2022, 06:42:40 AM »
Getting in Tuesday afternoon, staying at the Artmore. Can't wait.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #233 on: May 30, 2022, 07:04:04 PM »
See ya there, I arrive Wednesday afternoon  :metal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #234 on: May 30, 2022, 07:08:08 PM »
Ooh I see Riot V is on the bill! They kick ass. Great band! And Flotsam & Jetsam! :metal

Two of my favorites!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #235 on: May 30, 2022, 07:59:47 PM »
Flotsam and Jetsam is easily my most looked forward to band on Wednesday.  Been listening to them a bunch lately.  I think ever since I went to that Testament/Exodus/Death Angel show a few weeks ago, I've been really enjoying thrash more so seeing them is going to be a lot of fun.  I've also recently watched Get Thrashed: The Story of Thrash Metal on amazon prime, not going to say I'm all of the sudden a huge thrash fan, but I think I've been enjoying the genre maybe more than ever. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #236 on: May 30, 2022, 08:02:01 PM »
Flotsam and Jetsam is easily my most looked forward to band on Wednesday.  Been listening to them a bunch lately.  I think ever since I went to that Testament/Exodus/Death Angel show a few weeks ago, I've been really enjoying thrash more so seeing them is going to be a lot of fun.  I've also recently watched Get Thrashed: The Story of Thrash Metal on amazon prime, not going to say I'm all of the sudden a huge thrash fan, but I think I've been enjoying the genre maybe more than ever.

In that genre, F&J's vocals are much easier on the ears. Their last three albums are amazing, especially last year's Blood In The Water.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #237 on: May 30, 2022, 08:04:27 PM »
Yeah, I can see that.  And I do enjoy the recent music more than the old.  Haven't listened to an entire album though.  Just various songs on youtube and I bought the Live in Phoenix CD/DVD

Offline Melphina

« Reply #238 on: May 31, 2022, 03:41:00 AM »
The latest F&J is soooo good. Don't care about Riot though. And their mascot is the worst thing ever  :lol

Heading to the airport now. :2metal:

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #239 on: June 01, 2022, 02:22:01 PM »
I have landed...

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #240 on: June 01, 2022, 05:07:55 PM »
Yall, that Klone ain't half bad!!
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #241 on: June 01, 2022, 05:25:21 PM »

Saw them last week. Loved their set.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #242 on: June 01, 2022, 05:28:15 PM »

I saw a few songs on a buddy's livestream, seemed pretty solid.

How'd MindMaze do? I was very stoked to see Jeff and Sara get the nod to open.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #243 on: June 01, 2022, 05:34:22 PM »
Klone was okay. Talented singer (don’t tell Jackie) but after one song you know how every other song sounds. I was pretty bored.

Though their Bjork cover was pretty awesome.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #244 on: June 02, 2022, 10:25:35 AM »
Klone was pretty solid, but Adami nailed how I feel.  The songs are all too similar, about half way through their set I was starting to get a little bored.  But they were still good.  Sounded really good and had a lot of energy.  I didn't record any of their songs though, but had a lot of footage I'll edit when I get home.

Flotsam and Jetsam - Brace for Impact

Easily the best set of the night IMO was Flotsam.  They also sounded really good and tight.  The bassist commented that he liked my Haken shirt.

Mindmaze were pretty good too.  First time even listening to them, went in blind.  I thought it was a bit odd that the guitarist spoke over the singer multiple times, and one of my new friends I was chatting with also pointed that out, but otherwise I enjoyed their set. 

MindMaze - True Reflection

Hypocrisy... not for me.  Hard to comment if they were good or not when the music is just not something I enjoy.  They were definitely heavy.  They fogged out the entire venue, like even the lobby was super foggy which made for a cool atmosphere but you also couldn't see anything.  I left halfway through their set

Hypocrisy - Chemical Whore

oh and I met Adrienne Cowan of Seven Spires, I'll share that pic in the pics thread...