Author Topic: PROGPOWER USA XXIII  (Read 31186 times)

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Re: PROGPOWER USA XXI
« Reply #175 on: September 09, 2020, 07:56:39 PM »
I didn't even know Dream Evil did a Live Stream. I didn't look at the Streaming Concert Thread either to check.

But here it is...

https://youtu.be/jFGHQfF0EaY
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #176 on: September 14, 2020, 03:22:24 PM »
Beast in Black are now a US exclusive for next year  :metal  I guess they won't be touring with Hammerfall after like they were supposed to this year.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #177 on: September 14, 2020, 03:27:27 PM »
Beast in Black are now a US exclusive for next year  :metal  I guess they won't be touring with Hammerfall after like they were supposed to this year.

Let's see how many ticket buyers that adds
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #178 on: September 14, 2020, 03:55:07 PM »
Good, I didn't want to risk watching Hammerfail anyway  :lol :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #179 on: September 14, 2020, 07:41:40 PM »

:censored

I was really wanting to see them with Hammerfall.  I won't be traveling to Progpower just to see them though. 

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #180 on: November 09, 2020, 09:52:06 AM »
and.... Beast in Black are out  :facepalm: ugh, Im starting to feel like moving it from 2021 to 2022 is the better money decision and more likely to happen in the way we all want it to. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #181 on: November 09, 2020, 09:54:45 AM »
and.... Beast in Black are out  :facepalm: ugh, Im starting to feel like moving it from 2021 to 2022 is the better money decision and more likely to happen in the way we all want it to.

What do you mean by this?
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #182 on: November 09, 2020, 10:25:00 AM »

As in the bands we all expected to play actually are able to come and perform, and who knows if there are restrictions on how concerts will operate (like limited capacity or curfews).  I mean, I hope by then we are back to normal or closer to it, but so much up in the air.  I'd bet a lot of money we see more line up changes as the year goes on as well.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #183 on: November 09, 2020, 10:27:28 AM »

As in the bands we all expected to play actually are able to come and perform, and who knows if there are restrictions on how concerts will operate (like limited capacity or curfews).  I mean, I hope by then we are back to normal or closer to it, but so much up in the air.  I'd bet a lot of money we see more line up changes as the year goes on as well.

I think it's a bit early to start worrying about that personally but replacements and cancellations are the norm and to be expected especially right now so I wouldn't be too fussed, maybe by spring if the pandemic is still ripping America a new ass, then it might be time to think about cancelling the trip haha. I'm a bit sad I won't be seeing Yannis live cause he's crazy good but oh well. Hopefully the replacement is good and not more angsty prog metal  :lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #184 on: November 09, 2020, 10:43:05 AM »
Well we already saw the first wave of replacements in 2020, so another round of replacements and lack of bands available makes me think this years line up may be uninteresting and it makes this festival very different from the rest as having two rounds of cancellations is not the norm.  I already, before this announcement, find it to be my least interested line up and my two most wanted bands are out already.  Of course it's a bit early, but as Glen mentioned a couple weeks ago, they haven't applied for the visas yet and we just don't know whats going to happen.  It might be safer to hold onto the money and push back to 2022 before they spend the money and its gone without the bands even being able to show up.  Obviously that call doesn't need to be made now, but I think it should be considered as we get closer and if the pandemic doesn't get better.

Also, Beast in Black are confirmed for the 2022 festival already.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #185 on: November 09, 2020, 10:45:15 AM »
Well, I think this is the most interesting year they've had for a very long time, and a bunch of people I know are still super excited for a lot of bands  :lol everything will be fine! Hopefully they get an act you're actually interested in at least

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #186 on: November 09, 2020, 10:56:33 AM »
Well, I think this is the most interesting year they've had for a very long time, and a bunch of people I know are still super excited for a lot of bands  :lol everything will be fine! Hopefully they get an act you're actually interested in at least

This is hardly even my argument for pushing back as that's a personal preference about the bands. It's about not throwing away the money PP has. Listen to what Glenn says, if they spend the money on visas this year, that money is gone regardless of what happens and if the festival can't happen, that might mean the end of Progpower.  I'm talking about avoiding risk, if possible.  And it doesn't need to happen now, but at some point in 2021 they will have to make the call. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #187 on: November 09, 2020, 11:40:03 AM »
I didn't say that was your argument, and I agree with/know all of that... so... ???

Just saying we don't need to worry just yet, and that hopefully they book someone you like...

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #188 on: November 09, 2020, 12:39:20 PM »
Well we already saw the first wave of replacements in 2020, so another round of replacements and lack of bands available makes me think this years line up may be uninteresting and it makes this festival very different from the rest as having two rounds of cancellations is not the norm.  I already, before this announcement, find it to be my least interested line up and my two most wanted bands are out already.  Of course it's a bit early, but as Glen mentioned a couple weeks ago, they haven't applied for the visas yet and we just don't know whats going to happen.  It might be safer to hold onto the money and push back to 2022 before they spend the money and its gone without the bands even being able to show up.  Obviously that call doesn't need to be made now, but I think it should be considered as we get closer and if the pandemic doesn't get better.

Also, Beast in Black are confirmed for the 2022 festival already.

Good to hear they didn't get the band visas yet.

It's nuts, because the Music Industry is at a standstill, and unsure of what is going to happen with Live Touring. It's in limbo, and trying to keep all that goes into Live shows still going. Venues, are also struggling to keep afloat. Some are streaming Live Shows, local bands, not really doing that great. But it's something. If we fans want to see Live Music again, we need to be supporting these venues, and bands, now more than ever. But, that is also hard, as everyone is in the struggle of unsureness, we don't know things will change as we continue on.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #189 on: December 28, 2020, 06:12:38 PM »
Unleash the Archers seem to be the Beast in Black replacement, amazing replacement!  :metal

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #190 on: December 29, 2020, 07:04:45 AM »
Unleash the Archers seem to be the Beast in Black replacement, amazing replacement!  :metal

Yeah, that’s an upgrade for Glenn for sure.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #191 on: December 31, 2020, 11:01:24 PM »

I know what I'm using my Bandcamp Giftcard for...

Their new album is pretty good. Of what I could hear on Bandcamp. Great videos for Abyss, and Faster Than Light.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #192 on: January 01, 2021, 11:07:07 AM »
Abyss is a really strong album

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #193 on: January 01, 2021, 11:37:26 AM »
Abyss is a really strong album

I listened to their first 2 albums, and you can hear a vast difference in the songwriting. Good stuff, either way.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #194 on: April 05, 2021, 10:00:49 AM »
It is with sadness and resignation, I must announce the postponement of ProgPower USA again this year.  The unknown circumstances surrounding the current pandemic has simply made it impossible to move forward with safety & logistical planning. Despite progress  and optimism for the fall in the U.S., consideration has to be taken into account for both international bands and attendees who are experiencing different circumstances and restrictions. 

ProgPower USA XXI will now take place June 1-4, 2022.  Please note your current tickets will automatically carry forward to 2022.  The same Ticketmaster protocol will be followed as last year in regards to any refund requests over the next 30 days as of April 6th.  The following bands are **CONFIRMED** to return for Days 3 & 4 next year:   Conception,  Turilli/Lione Rhapsody, Jeff Scott Soto,  Green Carnation, Witherfall, Thank You Scientist,  and Aether Realm.  Replacements for two bands will be announced very soon.  The remaining three bands are unconfirmed at present.  Those bands and I are working hard to resolve the situation.

The promoters for Day 1 (Nathan Block) and Day 2 (Milton Mendonca) will be issuing their own statements in regards to their rosters separately.

Please join me on Facebook live tonight at 8pm EST for a detailed explanation of past events and our current issues still to be finalized.  I will also take questions. Thanks for your understanding, patience, and much needed support during these unprecedented times.

Glenn

I'm guessing Shattered Skies and Unleash The Archers...But man....I really hope Stratovarius can still make it. And I hope I can still make it. But those dates are not very promising.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #195 on: April 05, 2021, 10:28:58 AM »
Interesting that it's being pushed to summer 2022 and not fall of 2022.  Not surprising, I wouldn't be surprised if Center Stage is open come September, but being able to get international bands over here still seems unlikely by then so it makes sense to just pull the plug and not loose any more money. 

It would be great if they could get Beast in Black and Night Flight Orchestra back on the roster.  As of now, that's too far out to have any issue with the dates, but I don't plan on giving my tickets back. 

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #196 on: April 05, 2021, 10:47:27 AM »
Interesting that it's being pushed to summer 2022 and not fall of 2022.  Not surprising, I wouldn't be surprised if Center Stage is open come September, but being able to get international bands over here still seems unlikely by then so it makes sense to just pull the plug and not loose any more money. 

It would be great if they could get Beast in Black and Night Flight Orchestra back on the roster.  As of now, that's too far out to have any issue with the dates, but I don't plan on giving my tickets back.

That would be nice. I am not planning on not going either.

The main draw for me going in the first place is Stratovarius. And I am expecting them to be dropped as well as PoS.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #197 on: April 05, 2021, 02:27:22 PM »
I was right with Shattered Skies...

It is with regret I must announce  Shattered Skies will not be able to participate next year at ProgPower USA XXI.   The band will release their own statement in the coming days.  I wish them nothing but the best in the future.

When one door closes, another opens.   I'd like to welcome Arch Echoto the roster.   Their brand of technical & tasteful prog metal/fusion will appeal to fans of Liquid Tension Experiment.  On a personal note, they are the first instrumental band I have booked in 20 years.   The amount of talent on display is incredible.

- Glenn

The upside is the replacement is Arch Echo and that is a well worthy replacement. I've seen them live and they're just as good live if not better. The energy from the studio albums is still there and it hits twice as hard. Especially those calm to loud moments.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #198 on: April 05, 2021, 02:43:44 PM »
Arch Echo is amazing. Great band in a live setting. I first heard them opening for Tony Macalpine in San Antonio a few years back and became an instant fan. Then most of the band backed up Tony Mac as his band. Very talented guys.

Then I saw them opening up for Plini and Periphery. One of the best concerts I've ever attended.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #199 on: April 05, 2021, 02:52:42 PM »
An instrumental band doesn't totally interest me although I haven't listened to this band so I will check them out before I say anything more.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #200 on: April 05, 2021, 03:05:10 PM »
An instrumental band doesn't totally interest me although I haven't listened to this band so I will check them out before I say anything more.

Check them out Cram. They are definitely more melodical than LTE as they rely more on composition than improvisations.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #201 on: April 05, 2021, 03:35:28 PM »

Check them out Cram. They are definitely more melodical than LTE as they rely more on composition than improvisations.

I'll echo this...

I recommend Measure of A Life, Color wheel, and Iris..

https://archecho.bandcamp.com/

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #202 on: April 06, 2021, 06:46:58 AM »

Definitely.  I often think LTE are wanking around with their playing just because they can, and are all individually competing for the listeners attention.  Arch Echo is well composed music, along with technical mastery.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Blackcastle

« Reply #203 on: February 07, 2022, 02:05:10 PM »

Getting really excited for PPUSA to return in June.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #204 on: February 07, 2022, 02:35:32 PM »

Getting really excited for PPUSA to return in June.

I'm a bit lukewarm atm.  Mostly because I'm concerned if it still happens (I lean towards yes it will) but more importantly, what line up changes are going to happen still.  Basically every line up change has lowered my enthusiasm, of no fault to the people running the show, and it's more of my tastes type of thing.  I've considered the idea of trying to offload my ticket, cut my loses, and save on not spending on airfare/hotel.  But really, this festival is a great time and I think even if the line up isn't for me, I will still have fun.  I'll be more excited when we get closer and things are 100% locked.

In case anyone is wondering, here's the current line up after some major changes to Day 1 (hope I didn't screw it up, since the website isn't updated this is based on facebook posts from the last month or so):

Day 1:
Hypocrisy
Flotsam & Jetsam
Klone
Mindmaze

Day 2:
Stratovarius
Pain of Salvation
Seven Spires
NorthTale
Wilderun

Day 3:
Conception
Jeff Scott Soto (Performing a Special Queen Tribute Set)
Jason Bieler and the Baron Von Bielski Orchestra
Witherfall
Ęther Realm
Arch Echo

Day 4:
Turilli/Lione Rhapsody
Ihsahn
Ray Alder
Brothers of Metal
Thank You Scientist
Arion

I think I want to see Arion the most, followed by Witherfall and Stratovarius.  I'd love to meet Roy Khan for the Conception meet and greet as well.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #205 on: February 07, 2022, 04:27:29 PM »
Flotsam & Jetsam :metal :metal

That's a curious addition to the lineup. There's nothing prog about them. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #206 on: February 07, 2022, 04:32:00 PM »

New addition as a replacement band. They are from the US so them performing is likely a lock as they won't have to deal with visas.  But also, the fest may be named progpower but there's no rule the band needs to be either.  There's always some who don't fit the description who perform.  I don't think I had ever listened to them until the announcement of them being a replacement band, I liked what I heard. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #207 on: February 07, 2022, 04:34:02 PM »

New addition as a replacement band. They are from the US so them performing is likely a lock as they won't have to deal with visas.  But also, the fest may be named progpower but there's no rule the band needs to be either.  There's always some who don't fit the description who perform.  I don't think I had ever listened to them until the announcement of them being a replacement band, I liked what I heard.

I've been a huge F&J fan since I saw them on their first tour in 1987. Their last three albums have been fantastic, and Blood In The Water was my 2021 AOTY.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #208 on: February 07, 2022, 04:41:32 PM »
 :metal the seem like my most interested in band for Day 1 for sure, I need to listen more

Offline Blackcastle

« Reply #209 on: February 28, 2022, 02:36:27 PM »
Glad to see days 3 & 4 are sold out again.  Looking forward to all 4 days.