Author Topic: PROGPOWER USA XXIII  (Read 29476 times)

Offline Lethean

Re: PROGPOWER USA XXI
« Reply #140 on: June 10, 2020, 06:42:33 PM »
Could it go the opposite way though?  I mean, some people will have enjoyed the extra savings they've had during this time if they were able to keep working.  Some people will be recovering.  Some people might not be super excited to get back on a plane.  So wouldn't it be better to lower prices to entice people to come back? 

It's possible that I'm just being overly optimistic.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #141 on: June 10, 2020, 06:53:22 PM »
I think people are very eager to get back to going to shows. Of course many are not going to and that's why you won't see shows this year, but by next year if things are getting back to normal (the key here), I think you might see prices increase not only because consumers would feel OK going to an event, but also because of all the lost revenue from 2020 that venues/artists/livenation will want to try and recover.  That's why I think it's similar to airlines, these businesses have and are losing a lot of money and are just trying to stay afloat.  Concerts halls won't get the bailout airlines do, so I think it's even more likely we might see increase in concert ticket prices.  Also, livenation's summer tours were giving back a %125 credit, I believe, if you opted for that.  To me, that's also a hint that things might be more expensive next year.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #142 on: June 17, 2020, 09:42:51 AM »
Green Carnation for ProgPower next year.  :)

*Now* I am excited. :)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #143 on: June 17, 2020, 09:45:26 AM »
Green Carnation for ProgPower next year.  :)

*Now* I am excited. :)

ooohh... not a bad replacement for NFO.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #144 on: June 17, 2020, 09:47:32 AM »
That's pretty cool. Not really a fan so it doesn't nearly make up for NFO imo. I don't dislike them but they're just so boring
« Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 09:53:58 AM by The Walrus »
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #145 on: June 17, 2020, 10:00:11 AM »
That's pretty cool. Not really a fan so it doesn't nearly make up for NFO imo. I don't dislike them but they're just so boring

Stratovarius is also cancelled and replaced by Judas Priest, Glenn just posted it on FB
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #146 on: June 17, 2020, 10:02:25 AM »
Glenn wasn't exaggerating when he posted that their previous set was one of the best in festival history.  I'm not going to hold them to that standard, but I do have high expectations.  Even their live stream was pretty awesome.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #147 on: June 17, 2020, 10:02:53 AM »

Stratovarius is also cancelled and are replaced by Judas Priest, Glenn just posted it on FB

:lol :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #148 on: June 17, 2020, 10:04:35 AM »
Wait until PowerQuest is replaced with Threshold!
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #149 on: June 17, 2020, 10:07:18 AM »
Jokes are on both of ya'll, bands don't get booked two years in a row and ProgPower couldn't come anywhere close to affording Priest.  :biggrin:

And even if Strato does cancel (new album on the horizon, lots of touring to do), I still got PQ, NorthTale, and Witherfall. Can't bring the walrus down, mofos!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #150 on: June 17, 2020, 11:59:44 AM »
Jokes are on both of ya'll, bands don't get booked two years in a row

But these are unprecedented times!  Maybe not Threshold... maybe Maiden uniteD?   :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #151 on: June 17, 2020, 12:07:12 PM »
Jokes are on both of ya'll, bands don't get booked two years in a row

But these are unprecedented times!  Maybe not Threshold... maybe Maiden uniteD?   :lol

Not today, Satan.

Offline Blackcastle

« Reply #152 on: June 17, 2020, 12:38:06 PM »

The Green Carnation set in 2016 was amazing.  I'm very excited to see them again.

Offline Blackcastle

« Reply #153 on: June 18, 2020, 12:49:33 PM »

A limited number of tickets are back on sale because of those who elected for a refund when the festival was delayed.  Get yours now and help spread the word.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #154 on: June 18, 2020, 01:03:34 PM »
Sucks people wanted a refund, but really hard to blame them with so much uncertainty in the world these days. 

As for Green Carnation, I'll have to check them out.  I only saw a bit of the 2016 set and not enough to have any real opinion on them, but I'm just still a bit upset NFO are out.  I know it's nothing of the festivals fault and I know them not being really prog or power would make them a harder band to replace (doing like for like as the festival traditionally does), but that set was probably my most looked forward to because it would have just been so fun and different for the crowd.  Also Aeromantic is such a good album, hopefully they can make it to another PP in the future or maybe do a US tour or something.  I really want to see them one day.  Conga line dreams at PP are postponed.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #155 on: June 18, 2020, 01:09:29 PM »
Marc... the 60 minute investment in Light of Day, Day of Darkness is worth it.  I would recommend giving it your attention at least twice - and bear thru the lull in the middle.  If it clicks, it is SOOOOO worth it.

Oh, and the new album is pretty hawt.  Other than that, rely on Lethean - who knows more than I do about their discog.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #156 on: June 18, 2020, 01:16:20 PM »
LoDDoD is super overrated imo, which means you will love it. Everybody else and their bleeding mothers do, anyway

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #157 on: June 18, 2020, 01:50:56 PM »
LoDDoD is super overrated imo, which means you will love it. Everybody else and their bleeding mothers do, anyway

Hot take # 743

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #158 on: June 18, 2020, 01:54:50 PM »

Hot take # 743

Is it really a hot take? Green Carnation has what, 20 fans outside of the ProgPower USA crowd? I do a big sleep

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #159 on: June 18, 2020, 02:07:34 PM »

Hot take # 743

Is it really a hot take? Green Carnation has what, 20 fans outside of the ProgPower USA crowd? I do a big sleep

Like no? Even my best friend (who's kinda into prog metal) and his dad (who's absolutely not into prog metal) like Green Carnation. Also, Green Carnation, The Dear Hunter and Wilderun were my biggest draws to ProgPower Europe this year.

Hey Katt, what's your opinion on The Dear Hunter and Wilderun? Just thinking if I should quit your roulette now or persevere.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 02:13:15 PM by Evermind »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #160 on: June 18, 2020, 02:13:34 PM »

Hot take # 743

:lol considering I side with Mr Walrus' musical opinions about 10% of the time, this is more likely a sign that I'll enjoy it.  And if everyone and their bleeding mothers enjoy, that's also a good sign.  Having said that, I have never heard of this band outside of the PP community.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #161 on: June 18, 2020, 03:29:31 PM »
I actually got into Green Carnation well after Light of Day, Day of Darkness.  I didn't know anything about the band or that they had an album like that.  I started with The Quiet Offspring, which is very different from their other stuff.  I was kinda underwhelmed at first, didn't really like the singer, etc.
But something stayed with me enough to keep it and it really grew on me.  Also, I saw them live at a small bar around that time and they were really good.

So I went back and discovered Light of Day, Day of Darkness.  It needed some growing time too, but for me there's definitely something special about it. So, I will agree with jingle that you should check that album out just because it's so good.  And I also agree with him about the lull in the middle - sometimes I listen to the whole thing and sometimes I skip through it.

However, I doubt they'll be playing it at ProgPower next year.  So don't use it as your ProgPower prep.  On their recent live stream, they did a mix of all of the rest of their albums, so it's hard to say where you should start.  However, they don't have that many, so I say just listen to them all.  :) - Edit: you can probably skip their first album as far as ProgPower prep goes; it doesn't have their current singer and the redid one of those songs anyway for their latest album.

I have a soft spot for The Quiet Offspring because it was my first (and hopefully ariich likes the songs I sent him from that album).  I revisited it earlier this year and remembered again how much I like it and have been listening to it, and the band in general, a lot lately.  I couldn't believe it when they were announced for ProgPower - perfect timing for me and I can't wait to see them again.

I'll add one, or two, more things.  I don't know why, but their singer is way way way more impressive live than he is on the albums.  At least for me.  And second, you've probably read people raving about their 2016 set.  Deservedly so.  I can't even explain how good it was.  But I'll caution against measuring them against that set.  Both for those like me who saw it, and those who didn't.  The setlist will obviously be different, and I imagine there will be a different vibe to their set next year than there was to that one.  No need to hype it up in your mind so much that the real thing can only be a bit of a let down.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 08:17:57 PM by Lethean »

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #162 on: June 18, 2020, 10:17:05 PM »
I went into PP16 not having heard a single note of Green Carnation. Within 15 minutes of their set I was on my phone quickly buying LoDDoD from Amazon. It was a truly phenomenal set, one of my favorites of the festival even though I was not familiar with them. Album is just as good, and deserving of the accolades it receives.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Lethean

« Reply #163 on: June 18, 2020, 11:01:05 PM »
That's awesome. :) It was just one of those experiences you can't really explain.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #164 on: June 19, 2020, 04:33:03 AM »
I went into PP16 not having heard a single note of Green Carnation. Within 15 minutes of their set I was on my phone quickly buying LoDDoD from Amazon. It was a truly phenomenal set, one of my favorites of the festival even though I was not familiar with them. Album is just as good, and deserving of the accolades it receives.

I remember that ... you elbowing me showing me the amazon receipt.   :lol

It is probably the most impressive concert moment I've ever experienced.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #165 on: June 19, 2020, 06:20:59 AM »
All this talk made me rewatch A Night Under the Dam, and yeah, I still love it as much as before. I like the metal side of the band, but this acoustic performance might be my favourite thing they've released so far.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #166 on: June 19, 2020, 08:28:27 AM »
Man I just do not get what people see in GC  :lol

Offline Lethean

« Reply #167 on: June 19, 2020, 10:35:37 AM »
All this talk made me rewatch A Night Under the Dam, and yeah, I still love it as much as before. I like the metal side of the band, but this acoustic performance might be my favourite thing they've released so far.

Yeah - that's a great performance.  It's not my favorite of everything, but I'd love to see an acoustic show from them in person one day.  I guess for now I'll just consider myself lucky to be seeing them at all.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #168 on: June 21, 2020, 05:04:09 AM »

Personally, I spend more time *listening* to them.  Maybe that’s your problem! :neverusethis:

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #169 on: June 21, 2020, 08:48:37 AM »

I finally gave LoDDoD a listen a few weeks ago. I shut it off at about the 9 minute mark. There was literally nothing going on in it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #170 on: June 21, 2020, 11:13:03 AM »

I finally gave LoDDoD a listen a few weeks ago. I shut it off at about the 9 minute mark. There was literally nothing going on in it.

Imagine if Mrs TAC shut you off 1/6 of the way in. She’d never know your brilliance!

Offline Lethean

« Reply #171 on: June 21, 2020, 11:22:49 AM »
Yeah, I'd say if you're going to give it a try, at least listen to the whole thing.  I never have really come to like the middle part all that much, but I do listen to it from time to time to see if my mind's changed.  But the rest is great.  Or maybe listen to the live version (Last Day of Darkness), if they have it somewhere where you could stream it.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #172 on: June 21, 2020, 02:21:25 PM »

Imagine if Mrs TAC shut you off 1/6 of the way in. She’d never know your brilliance!

I don't need any help shutting off 1/6th of the way in. :lol

Yeah, I'd say if you're going to give it a try, at least listen to the whole thing.  I never have really come to like the middle part all that much, but I do listen to it from time to time to see if my mind's changed.  But the rest is great.  Or maybe listen to the live version (Last Day of Darkness), if they have it somewhere where you could stream it.

I tried. I just couldn't go on with it. Seemed kind of pointless. I'll give it another shot some day.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #173 on: September 08, 2020, 03:55:25 PM »
Sad Times as we all would've been getting ready, on our way, or actually there in Atlanta for this years ProgPower.

Out of all the bands, Stratovarius is the reason I really wanted to attend this year. The rest just solidified it for me.

The disappointment of this year (other than the virus) is The Night Flight Orchestra not being able to play. That set would've added a lot of fun to the entire fest. As good as Green Carnation is a good replacement, they're an entirely different mood of what TNFO would have brought. Doesn't matter to me as much though, because I'll be able to see them, and it'll be more than one song at that.

Gonna be watching videos I can find of the past ProgPowers. And I'm still waiting for my Redemption Blu-Ray to arrive so I can relive that set.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #174 on: September 08, 2020, 04:29:02 PM »
Yea, this hurts a lot as I'd be flying out tomorrow morning and hanging with everyone by the afternoon before the music starts.  Man, everytime has been so damn fun and we get none of that this year. 

I made this playlist yesterday of 33 bands playing 1 song each from the 3 progpowers I attended.  I guess my own little virtual fest from previous shows. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8Xat1WaNEGsD7A_gwnFf57n0LC_WNm-u  I've been watching a lot of these lately, but it kind of bums me out so I can't watch too much. 

NFO dropping out is definitely the worst of the news regarding the postponement, but at the end of the day, not getting to relish in the overall vibe of the festival hurts even more.