Author Topic: PROGPOWER USA XXIII  (Read 30601 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: PROGPOWER USA XXI
« Reply #105 on: January 07, 2020, 10:39:04 AM »
Not sure on prices but I imagine they'll be about $100-110ish... something like that. Hopefully.

Stratovarius won't play a single song from the self-titled, so your best bets are the singles from their last 3-4 albums and a lot of their classic hits. They haven't really promoted a new record since 2015 so I'd bet money that's what their PP set will be. Nemesis and Eternal would be your best bets for new listening, just my two cents though
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #106 on: January 07, 2020, 10:42:12 AM »
Yea, I didn't think so, it's not a great album and I read up on wikipedia about all the member changes so I would think the last couple albums would be better for me to start.  They are also playing some festivals this summer, I think that'll give us a good idea on what they will play at PP. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #107 on: January 07, 2020, 11:07:19 AM »
I think the self-titled freaking rules personally, but it's definitely not popular  :lol but even the band didn't play a single song from it on the promo tour because of the internal strife, so yeah. I'm just happy they're finally coming back to play.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 11:35:27 AM by Kattelox »
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #108 on: January 07, 2020, 11:21:28 AM »
And I listened to Conception's Flow a few more times recently, it's starting to click although I wonder if it's a bit forced from my end.  Regardless, I'm a bit more excited to see them today than I was a couple months ago.

Try Parallel Minds, which has more of a progressive/melodic metal feel to it.  Flow was a change from their prior style.

They also have a new EP that came out a year ago.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #109 on: January 07, 2020, 11:46:56 AM »
I really liked the song Flow which is why I went that way, but I can try that one out too.  I remember sampling and not being a huge fan of the new songs either, just like I really wasn't a fan of Flow when I started listening to the album.  I do love Roy and his singing, it's just the songs besides Flow itself, had not been very catchy or stood out in anyway to make me want to keep listening.  Now that I've been starting to enjoy Flow more, I have been finding more songs I do enjoy, in fact I listened to the album again since that post and it was fairly enjoyable.  I just can't tell if I forced myself to like them.  I'll check out Parallel Minds next.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #110 on: January 07, 2020, 11:53:53 AM »
It's not a popular take (surprise) but I think their new EP is better than their old stuff; not a fan of the old albums... Grand Again is my favorite Conception song

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #111 on: January 07, 2020, 12:16:08 PM »
Here, I'll help - if that big, crunchy riff in Roll the Fire doesn't get you jamming, you're lost to all hope.

Conception - Roll The Fire (from Parallel Minds).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hO1Cg42PKhQ

And here's the title track, with a big, juicy chorus:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxxgMWnvBw8

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #112 on: January 07, 2020, 01:13:31 PM »
Yea, a bit heavier but still kind of similar.  Not bad but not mind blowing.  I'll probably enjoy it more with more listens.  But honestly, I'm more hyped about seeing them now than before and that's a positive.  I'm starting to feel this years line up is really strong overall the more I dig in.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #113 on: January 11, 2020, 09:16:26 AM »
Bought my day 2 ticket about 10 minutes ago :)

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #114 on: January 11, 2020, 09:22:47 AM »
Just got mine  :metal :metal

Was thinking, funny how they said things would change and maybe the show wouldn't be as big with day 1 being in the loft.... and in the end, it actually got a bit bigger with an extra band on day 2.   :metal :metal

Been listening to Stratovarious' latest album, Enigma 2, but I guess that's a compilation album.  Regardless, I like what I hear more than the self titled album. 

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #115 on: January 11, 2020, 11:20:53 AM »
Just secured mine and saved the email.

Personally Day 2 looks to be an amazing one. Finally getting to hear Forever, which I hope they'll definitely play.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #116 on: January 18, 2020, 02:03:49 PM »

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: January 27, 2020, 05:29:29 PM »
Finally went back this weekend and created all the youtube icons for my PP2019 videos, only took me 4 months...

anyway, the song Oblivion by Stratovarious  :hefdaddy really enjoying that one.  I want to dig in deeper with their newest albums which I expect to be doing soon.  Thinking of ordering a CD too so I can have them sign the cover ala Caligula's Horse last year. 

Actually considering buying more physical media than ever so I can bring it to be signed which was never a thing for me until last year, but now that I've got some of my memorabilia on display in my basement, I definitely want to add more.

Also, Darkwater's Human album is fantastic.  Day 2 is going to be another huge hit for me this year I am starting to feel it.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #118 on: January 29, 2020, 09:33:50 AM »
Hey Kat, as you are likely the resident Power Quest expert.  Their Magic Never Dies album, is that available on CD anywhere?  Their website only shows a digital download.  To go back to what I said, I'm thinking of picking up some albums to potentially get signed, being they will play this album and I would like to listen to it, it may be one I want to purchase (assuming its not some crazy cost).  Otherwise I'll just get the digital download from their website and scrap the idea for this band.  Maybe they will sell it at the festival but I'd rather not buy it in two formats if I can avoid that.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #119 on: January 29, 2020, 09:41:52 AM »
Hey Kat, as you are likely the resident Power Quest expert.  Their Magic Never Dies album, is that available on CD anywhere?  Their website only shows a digital download.  To go back to what I said, I'm thinking of picking up some albums to potentially get signed, being they will play this album and I would like to listen to it, it may be one I want to purchase (assuming its not some crazy cost).  Otherwise I'll just get the digital download from their website and scrap the idea for this band.  Maybe they will sell it at the festival but I'd rather not buy it in two formats if I can avoid that.

Power Quest's catalogue prior to Sixth Dimension (possibly excluding Blood Alliance) is out of print, so unless you can find an affordable copy on eBay, discogs etc. you're out of luck. I don't even have physical copies of the old records anymore as I lost them in a car wreck over 10 years ago... They'll likely only have Sixth Dimension for sale at ProgPower (shirts, CD/vinyl maybe), maybe there will be a couple copies of Blood Alliance or Master of Illusion, but I'd be surprised. I think 6D is the only PQ album available on vinyl and they might play one or two songs off that if they have time (likely Kings and Glory, Lords of Tomorrow, or Face the Raven)

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: January 29, 2020, 09:43:38 AM »
Damn, oh well.  I'll buy the download so I can get some listens in then. 

Just pre-ordered the new Night Flight Orchestra and also Nemesis by Stratovarious, I like the song Unbreakable.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: January 29, 2020, 09:45:17 AM »
Nemesis is so freaking good. Like all the late 90s Strato records were in my top 50 but honestly I could've thrown at least 5 more of their albums in that list, including that one... I have no idea what they'll play at PP from that record. Unbreakable is super likely as is Halcyon Days. I'd like to hear a lot more off that one but they probably won't play more than that, although if I had it my way they'd just play every set, every day of the fest  :lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #122 on: January 29, 2020, 09:53:16 AM »
Their most recent set which was a short festival set:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/stratovarius/2019/hipodromo-de-los-andes-bogota-colombia-339a6c39.html

I'd imagine they'd play all those for a headline set too.  At least that's my current guess, we'll have a better idea when they play some summer shows, but for me, getting to know these songs is a good start. 

and here's a full show set:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/stratovarius/2019/teatro-caupolican-santiago-chile-2b9a24f2.html

which includes Oblivion that I really like. 

Just so damn hard to get into a band with such a large catalog and many different versions of the band.  I think I'm likely to not stray far from the newer albums and their classic songs, for now at least.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: January 29, 2020, 10:02:32 AM »
Very strange that they're playing Oblivion. That's not the kind of song they generally throw into their sets. That's cool. Same with 4000 Rainy Nights - that one hasn't really appeared in many sets, AFAIK, since the early 2000s, and is one of my favorite power ballads of all time. Otherwise, yeah, same old hits. Honestly, look at any of their setlists over the last 5 years and you'll get a great idea of what they like to play. Black Diamond, Eagleheart, Hunting High and Low, Phoenix, Forever, Unbreakable, Winter Skies, etc... very large catalogue but their setlists are extremely predictable because they try to squeeze so many classics and popular songs in.

They play nothing from the first 4 records anymore except maybe occasionally Twilight Symphony, I guess. They played that one in 2009 so I was really delighted I got to see that

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #124 on: January 29, 2020, 10:12:04 AM »
I saw they also played Enigma, I'm guessing because they were supporting their latest release which has those songs on it.  I like Enigma too.  I think I'm liking the recent releases quite a bit from what I've heard so far compared to their older stuff.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #125 on: January 29, 2020, 10:26:34 AM »
New stuff definitely is a different animal from the old stuff in a lot of ways; the difference between one guy writing 99% of the lyrics/music vs. 4-5 guys collaborating and tweaking lyrics and music together is staggering. For a band heading into its 36th year of existence they sure still sound fresh. Lineup changes were a boon in the case of this band!  :corn

I'm only surprised at Enigma and Oblivion being played because they're on a collection of B-sides and that's totally out of the norm for them, but it's awesome to see them shake it up even a little bit. But I didn't get Forever the last time they were in Chicago so they better play it this time damn it  :censored

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #126 on: January 29, 2020, 10:31:08 AM »
According to wikipedia, those were new songs for the b-sides compilation album.  Not sure what category that puts those songs (Maybe still b-sides in the end?) but I think that's why they are playing them. Oblivion is also considered a single https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enigma:_Intermission_2

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #127 on: January 29, 2020, 10:40:15 AM »
Yeah, they're new compositions specifically for that one, so it does make sense. But maddeningly, their other new composition, Until The End Of Days, isn't on it, it's only on the Best Of that was released recently and that's not even the best compilation they could've made  :facepalm: damn labels...

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #128 on: February 10, 2020, 02:30:19 PM »
I've got a little extra cash from working OT soooo flight is booked.  About the same cost as usual, but my first flight booked with United Gold status so I get an automatic upgrade to economy plus, so front row (behind first class) booked for both flights.  Essentially noon Wednesday to noon sunday will be good times  :metal :metal

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #129 on: February 10, 2020, 03:48:07 PM »
Thanks for reminding me to book mine as well. Figure get that out of the way. Still need to Book a room too. Don't know where though?
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #130 on: February 14, 2020, 04:41:27 PM »
Listening to Arions Debut, pretty good stuff. It'd be awesome if they played You're My Melody, that song is a great ballad.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #131 on: February 14, 2020, 04:44:33 PM »
I really like both of their albums.  I can't imagine them not playing that song.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #132 on: February 15, 2020, 04:08:31 PM »
Day 1 ticket purchased, I know the least about day 1 compared to the rest, but I still want to get that Power Quest album I asked about, but just have been listening to other music (like Stratovarius) I will get to it.  Need to check out Mindmaze and I watched some of the youtube videos of Artificial Language which I enjoyed so I will check them out more.  Seemed like djenty prog.

also there was this announced for Day 1

I am very proud to announce that the legendary SNOWY SHAW will be performing onstage with DREAM EVIL as a very special addition to the already stellar Day #1 line-up. SNOWY will be performing on drums as well as singing with the band.

In addition, SNOWY will be performing a special ACOUSTIC SET before the show as well as promoting his brand new book – the autobiography The Book of Heavy Metal! SNOWY will be selling and autographing his book in the vendor’s room on Friday & Saturday.

I wish to thank Snowy for his participation in what will be a very memorable performance at ProgPower USA Day #1!

Nathan Block
ProgPower USA
Promoter, Day #1

Curious about the acoustic set before the show, also JSS is doing an acoustic set for gold badgers, I wish I could sneak in for that

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #133 on: February 15, 2020, 05:54:59 PM »
Zero interest in this Snowy Shaw character, personally, but it's cool that there's a bonus set. I'll check it out.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #134 on: March 07, 2020, 11:42:06 AM »
With the addition of Snowy Shaw, The Ballad is gonna be amazing to witness live. They better play that dammit.

Also, listening to Power Quest and Dream Evil made me want to get a Day 1 ticket now. Since I'm arriving that day, would be neat to see. I wont be upset either if I miss Mindmaze, they're alright.

Offline EVILPROGBOY

« Reply #135 on: May 01, 2020, 11:57:02 AM »
Speaking of Witherfall they released a wine!

https://charlieandecho.com/product/2019-witherfall-tempest/

Offline Blackcastle

« Reply #136 on: June 10, 2020, 01:42:30 PM »
Rooms at the Artmore are open today for 2021.  Going fast.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #137 on: June 10, 2020, 03:07:14 PM »
I still have to cancel my flight, looks like United will give me a full refund in travel credit, but no money back.  I expected that unlike Delta who was giving money back.  Either way, I fully expect to use that travel credit regardless so at least they aren't charging me.  I just wonder what the costs of flights will be next year if things go back to "normal" and the airlines want to recover their losses.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #138 on: June 10, 2020, 03:08:15 PM »
I still have to cancel my flight, looks like United will give me a full refund in travel credit, but no money back.  I expected that unlike Delta who was giving money back.  Either way, I fully expect to use that travel credit regardless so at least they aren't charging me.  I just wonder what the costs of flights will be next year if things go back to "normal" and the airlines want to recover their losses.

That's what I'm waiting on.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #139 on: June 10, 2020, 03:10:33 PM »
I wonder the same thing about concerts too, I feel like when things open up, it's going to be a much more expensive hobby than it already was