Author Topic: Re: Deadeye Deep Dives: Iron Maiden (Volume 9. Fear of the Dark)  (Read 1996 times)

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
Re: Deadeye Deep Dives: Iron Maiden (Volume 5.5. Live AFter Death)
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2024, 08:29:47 AM »
I have always felt that Bruce's voice on Live After Death was not that great.  When Rock in Rio came out, I was amazed at how much better his voice had become with age.  He seems like he's always screaming or yelling on Live After Death and not actually singing.  I do love the Hammersmith songs though, and he soars through those.

That being said, the album is 100% iconic - the cover art is amazing, the band is generally on fire and their greatest tour is represented in audio and visual form.  I remember listening to this album after I became a fan in the mid 90's, seeing the pictures in the CD's, with the big Eddie mummy towering over the stage, thinking that if I could see one tour from the 1980's, it would likely be this one (over Metallica in 1989). 

Thankfully, we got the Somewhere Back in Time tour in 2008, with a really amazing recreation of the tour, and I finally got to see the giant Eddie mummy in person.   :metal

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2024, 04:42:28 PM »
I'm not a live album fan in general and LAD might be why. Doesn't do anything for me. The gatefold sleeve was hugely exciting though, with the live shots and amazing artwork.

I'm amazed they never went back and tagged Churchill onto the studio Aces High. It's the mightiest of intros.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2024, 07:11:56 PM »
Phantom kills on that album! I wore the VHS version out when I got it in ‘85.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2024, 08:00:33 PM »
My favorite live album ever! While the performances may not be the best, the energy the band exudes overcomes any flaws. To be honest, this was my introduction to Maiden when I was a freshman in high school, right around the same time that Somewhere in Time was released.

I'm surprised that you didn't comment on the much faster tempo that Revelations was played - I remember when I finally got Piece of Mind, I was shocked at how much that song dragged. I agree on your comments on how Running Free is annoying with the audience participation. Funny enough, I didn't discover it until much later since my friends (who lent it to me) had the cassette which had that whole crowd thing edited out.

One other thing you didn't mention was the 3 other tracks that ended up as live B-sides: Los'fer Words, Sanctuary and Murders in the Rue Morgue - all which are worth giving a listen, IMO.

While I highly doubt it will happen, I would love it if one day the band reissued the album and put everything in the correct order, placing what was "side 4" as well as the B-sides, in their relative spots (I know not all the songs were performed throughout the tour) as a sort of "ultimate version". Ah well, one can dream...
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
Re: Deadeye Deep Dives: Iron Maiden (Volume 6. Somewhere in Time)
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2024, 12:27:30 AM »
Somewhere in Time - 1986
Tracklisting: 1. Caught Somewhere in Time. 2. Wasted Years. 3. Sea of Madness. 4. Heaven Can Wait. 5. The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner. 6. Stranger in a Strange Land. 7. Deja Vu. 8. Alexander the Great.

https://open.spotify.com/album/0OEg65hPhgP7B0Dy9TqP2L?si=swkKW6OAQP6o__4K7vcFoQ

Happy Easter everyone! In honour of the double meaning of Easter Egg, I purposely waited for today to talk about an album with a cover chock full of references. I could get into them all, but we’re primarily here to talk about the music, so here’s a link to an iHeart article all about what’s hidden in Derek Riggs’ iconic artwork. https://www.iheart.com/content/2017-09-28-32-hidden-references-on-iron-maidens-somewhere-in-time-cover/

Following the World Slavery Tour, the band needed a proper break, and subsequently took the later third of 1985 off. This absolute exhaustion led to Bruce Dickinson writing several acoustic-based songs, feeling the band needed a Physical Graffiti type album to avoid fading away, though this material was rejected by the rest of the band. On the other hand, Adrian Smith ended up contributing three fully formed songs for the album, two of which became the album’s singles. The band also had time to experiment with some new equipment, incorporating guitar synthesisers into the music, creating a major shift in the band’s sound. Recorded once again at Compass Point studios in the Bahamas, here is my deep dive of Somewhere in Time

The sonic shift is felt immediately, with the immense opening to Caught Somewhere in Time. Oh man, what a way to open an album. Straight out of the gate, we’re met by two harmonised guitar riffs, leading into the band’s signature gallop and Bruce’s quickfire vocal delivery. The structure of this song is a little all over the place, adding quick turnarounds within the verses and a rather interesting guitar segue into the iconic chorus. Structurally, one could argue this is Aces High but prog. The solos on this one are great, and to save time for the rest of the album to come, Adrian Smith is absolutely the MVP of this whole album. You know a song must be pretty good when it acts as the double threat of opening song and title track. Aces is definitely much more iconic, but this is probably tied for the best opening track the band has ever produced.

Wasted Years follows, and this is a powerhouse of a single. This song deals with the subject of homesickness and a sense of alienation, almost in direct response to the World Slavery Tour and all that had been in the last few years. The opening riff is iconic to the band’s sound, and it was one that Adrian had written off as being “far too commercial for Iron Maiden” when it was originally written, though Steve convinced him to write something with it. The chorus is anthemic live and having been used as the closing statement of the Book of Souls and Future Past tours, carries almost a different sentiment now of “look at everything we’ve done”. At 5:08, it’s also the second shortest song on the album. It’s also one of only 3 to have been played on more than two tours. It also stands as number 5 on the band’s most streamed songs, so do with that what you will.

Sea of Madness up next, and this is a real thrashy song by Maiden standards. I find the lyrics a bit more abstract, but I have to say that this chorus absolutely slaps. The harmony vocals on this album are definitely much more prominent on Adrian’s songs and they are real highlights. One of my favourite parts of this song is the breakdown into the bridge section  and the way it builds back out into the main riff. The song is vastly overlooked, and I’m kinda bummed this one didn’t make the cut for Future Past as it stands as one of my favourites from the album. Everything here results in a total banger! Maybe on this year’s leg?

A song that I don’t like quite as much on the album is Heaven Can Wait. This song is about a nightmare of dying and going to heaven, but not wanting to go for feeling that things are left undone. I don’t really like the verses and chorus section on the album, though the bridge is pretty good. I really like the way Bruce handles the key change in the bridge, and the “oh oh oh” chant is fairly fun. I don’t really have enough words to explain why I don’t like this as much, and I’m really hoping seeing it live will help that out. Everyone does a great job, and I think this is one of Nicko’s best drum parts on the album. I think a lot of it comes down to the chorus, which is just a little too corny for me. Feel free to tear me a new one, but these deep dives are all about my opinions. This is the most played song from the album live, so maybe it’s a little overplayed.

A deep cut that was only ever played once live, The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner is a rather complex little number. Opening with a beautiful melody into a chaotic verse, and I have to admire Bruce for sticking it out for the song to ever be recorded. What absolutely floors me is the instrumental to the song. This is such a fast song, yet the band still finds ways to sustain the lead notes and create some truly captivating melodic sections, not to mention the solo section. This song is honestly a masterpiece from the band, but I absolutely understand why the song didn’t last live. Speaking to the nature of the long distance runner himself, this song is a test of endurance for every member of the band. Dave, Adrian and Bruce are the only members who get to even slow down at any point during these six and a half minutes. It’s amazing how much goes into this.

Track 2 on Side 2 is also Single #2. Stanger in a Strange Land is a fantastic song depicting the story of an Arctic explorer who dies and becomes frozen in ice for future explorers to find. Everything about this song slaps, but then we reach the solo section, which may be Adrian’s solo of all time, much as Powerslave is Dave’s. It can bring a tear to the eye if you really stop to listen. This is the third of the three songs that’s made it to more than two tours, though it only saw the first couple of dates for the 1999 Ed Hunter tour (which is a big deal that we’ll get to down the line). This is also one of only 5 songs Iron Maiden has ever released with a fade out, which I’ve always taken as being symbolic of the explorer’s frozen body dying out. Maybe it’s morbid, but that’s my interpretation anyway.

Deja Vu sees the return of Dave Murray’s writing, after an absence on Powerslave. You can often tell a Dave song because of the opening solo over clean chords. This one absolutely erupts straight after it though. This song is about the concept of déjà vu, as the title would suggest. Instrumentally, it’s one of the more interesting songs, like Long Distance Runner, but the lyrics are a little bit lacking. This is now the only song from the album that has never been played live, but if any song has stood out as filler on this album, it’s definitely this one. Still worth a spin, but it’s just not as strong as the rest of the album for me.

We’ve had songs based on historical events from Iron Maiden before, but have you ever wanted a straightforward “here’s the facts” kind of lyric, but set to awesome music? Then I present to you Alexander the Great, this album’s closing song. Bruce absolutely nails his vocal delivery here, and while the riff is a simple gallop, it moves around enough to stay interesting. Couple this with the instrumental link between chorus 1 and verse 2, and you’re already off to a great start. But when we get past the second chorus, oh man. The second solo for the song sets such a magical vibe, building into one of the most evil sounding riffs the band has produced to this point. And from there? Let’s just have one of the best harmony sections ever. Not enough for you? Adrian, can you please do a segmented solo, between which we’ll have Steve and Nicko lock in on a really cool little run, then get Dave to send it on home with the final solo of the album. DUDE! Alexander the Great is that good, the fans demanded it live from 1986 to 2023! And at that point, Iron Maiden made a tour around Somewhere in Time just to play it live. Lord, what a song. Hallowed be thy Name may prove me wrong, but Alexander might be the best album closer the band has ever produced.

And that, my friends, is Somewhere in Time. What else can be said except that this is the middle chapter of my favourite trilogy of albums from the band. It might be my favourite album of all, though there is another coming in about 20 years time from here that rivals it. What do you guys think? Banger or not a banger? Was the band right to ignore it all these years or should this have been in their good graces this whole time? Let me know what you think, and I'm especially keen to hear what everyone's favourite song is on this album.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2024, 05:21:03 PM by Deadeye21 »
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Re: Deadeye Deep Dives: Iron Maiden (Volume 6. Somewhere in Time)
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2024, 02:54:19 AM »
For a long time this was my favourite Maiden album. It's now at #2 after Seventh Son.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2024, 07:27:26 AM »
One of my favorite albums ever!! Loneliness is the only song I don’t love. HCW is vastly over-criticized for the chorus, it’s a top 10 song for me as everything else absolutely smokes. Great write-up! I’ll add more later.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2024, 12:12:46 PM »
Definitely my favorite Maiden album. It was also the first studio album I heard from them, so that might have a little to do with it. But I agree with pretty much your whole writeup Deadeye! Disappointed that SoM didn't make it into the setlist for the current tour (although as you said, we can hope for it this year!) because it is such an amazing song. Definitely the underrated of the trio of songs that Adrian penned for this album - I think the chorus for this one is the best of the three. Maybe he needs to write more songs on his own?

Notwishstanding the repeat-the-song-title-in-the-chorus-numerous-times, which I believe someone (Jammindude?) pointed out started with this album, I absolutely LOVE the title track. In particular I love how the solo section flows right back into the main song (from about 4:45-4:52) without nary a breath!

For me, HCW is the lowpoint on the album (I've actually grown to love DV over the years) and figure it's really down to the chorus - not only the repetitive lyrics, but also the cheesy music. Had they done something better and more interesting, that song would have risen up the rankings.

TLotLDR is the one other track that's just OK for me. I think I've grown in appreciation of it over time, but it still would rank in the bottom half of the album for me. The intro, as beautiful as it is, just seems so foreign to the rest of the album, even with it being recalled at the end of the song. To an extent I view it the same way as others view the original '96 version of Burning My Soul. Would be interesting to see what they would've done had they separated the two sections and come up with something more complimentary for each.

Love AtG - so glad it's finally getting a proper airing live. Such a great track, especially the instrumental section.

And it goes without saying that this is the best Maiden cover art bar none! I'm a sucker for futuristic stuff anyway, so this is right up my alley, especially with all the cool easter eggs (ha!) that Riggs included. While I know the vast majority of them have a connection to the band and/or their history, one that I'd love to know why it was included were the 4 Hebrew letters that spell out God's name (the Tetragrammaton). Anyone have a clue as to why they were included?

edit: BTW Deadeye, where's the link to the iHeart article about the cover art?
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2024, 01:30:54 PM »
Dejavu is super catchy.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2024, 04:33:37 PM »
Amazing record. I love LotfLDR but never play Heaven Can Wait.

Offline Deadeye21

« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2024, 05:17:40 PM »

edit: BTW Deadeye, where's the link to the iHeart article about the cover art?

Oh my god. I don’t think I even put the album link on this one, now that you mention it. WHOOPS! Thanks for calling me out on that one. Editing now.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2024, 05:48:43 PM »
I have always loved this album!  The only song I don't really care for is Long Distance Runner, but I need to listen to it again.  Heaven Can Wait is ok, and I wish they'd play other songs from the album live.  Deja Vu and Sea of Madness are both AWESOME and deserve to be played live. 

I'm really excited for this year's Future Past show so I can finally see a few more songs from the album live (i've only seen them do Wasted Years and Heaven Can Wait).  I plan to go apeshit for Stranger in a Strange Land. 

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2024, 07:33:29 PM »
Oh my god. I don’t think I even put the album link on this one, now that you mention it. WHOOPS! Thanks for calling me out on that one. Editing now.
No problem. Actually, I found this link thanks to the Wikipedia page about the album which has a lot more info on the making of the cover art. Pretty interesting read. And the Wikipedia page itself lists many references/easter eggs in the artwork including some not in that iHeart article.
https://www.ironmaiden-bg.com/web/index.php/somewhere-in-time-artwork

Offline Deadeye21

Re: Deadeye Deep Dives: Iron Maiden (Volume 7. Seventh Son)
« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2024, 06:23:00 AM »
Seventh Son of a Seventh Son - 1988
Tracklist: 1. Moonchild. 2. Infinite Dreams. 3. Can I Play With Madness. 4. The Evil That Men Do. 5. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son. 6. The Prophecy 7. The Clairvoyant. 8. Only The Good Die Young.

https://open.spotify.com/album/1rG6IgNdwE1IGFuIKuYosz?si=ZQJ72IrCSnSrG3I_0UoYsg

For the last two albums, Iron Maiden had been working with concepts that ran through the majority of the songs. Powerslave had dealt with the concept of power and Somewhere in Time with the concept of time. But as the 87 leg of Somewhere on Tour ended, Steve Harris had a vision. Inspired by the novel Seventh Son by Orson Scott Card and the recent death of Doris Stokes, a well-known psychic, Steve handed down to the band the idea of doing a concept album about the titular seventh son. Bruce, who felt a little jaded that his role on the previous album was only as a singer, fully supported the idea.

While the final product isn’t perfectly a concept album, this is one of Maiden’s most ambitious efforts to date, and probably the absolute furthest it could have been pushed with the lineup as it was. We have full blown synthesizers, we have some of the thickest guitar tones from the band to date, and we have the band debuting at number one on the UK charts to boot.

We open in an antitypical way for Maiden. A simple acoustic guitar strumming with Bruce’s vocals opening with a passage about “seven deadly sins”. The synth swells in with a kickass riff, and the band stabs on a few chords underneath. As this swells into action, Bruce lets rip with an absolutely sinister vocal rasp. Moonchild, the album opener, is more or less the devil issuing a warning about the upcoming birth of a child, warning to kill the child at birth lest the devil take control of his fate. Everything about this song is pretty banging, though I must say a slight step down from the last two album openers we’ve had. Dave Murray has the first solo here and it’s downright evil! Adrian plays some controlled chaos in his licks too, but Dave steals it on this one for me.

Infinite Dreams seems to be cut from the same cloth as Children of the Damned, leading with a much more withdrawn approach, though growing more and more chaotic as the track goes on. While Infinite Dreams clearly paints the picture of nightmares and visions of the afterlife he fears he may never awaken from, to me, this is the father (the original seventh son, who I’ll name call SS1) dealing with the warning from the devil’s warning. This song has probably the best overall instrumental section for my money, as the harmonised riffs on this track are beyond reproach! Special props to Nicko who is on fire across the whole album, but absolutely smokes this song.

Track three, Can I Play With Madness, is possibly one of the band’s most divisive songs from the classic era, right next to Heaven Can Wait. This is almost bordering on a pop song for Maiden, given its huge harmonised vocal hooks and straightforward rhythm (now complete with cowbell!). This is a song that goes through phases for me, and I gotta say, I really enjoyed listening to it this time through. With all the darkness of the last two songs, it’s really somewhat refreshing to hear. The lyrics are straightforward; following on from the events of Infinite Dreams, SS1 goes to see a prophet to help him decipher his dreams to no avail, though the prophet stares back and says that he’ll burn in hell. Great little instrumental section here which is really effective!

The good that men do is oft interred with their bones, but The Evil That Men Do lives on and on. Here’s a fan favourite if ever I heard one. The Evil That Men Do is probably the closest to a love song that Iron Maiden has ever written, and it’s fantastic! I don’t really know that I could say it furthers the story too much, though it does reference having “slept in the dust with his daughter” and “the book of life open before me” so I believe this is the final moment before the seventh son’s seventh son is born. Adrian’s solo on this song rivals the Stranger in a Strange Land solo, and the riff leading into it is such a banger. It’s really hard to not name this song the highlight of the album!

Opening side 2, we have the birth of the Seventh Son of a Seventh Son. This is a barely under 10-minute epic, very much driven by Bruce’s vocals. This is where we find out the true importance of this child. Firstly, he is from an unbroken generation of sons, which is a statistical nightmare. He has the power to heal, plus the powers of clairvoyance. In the second verse, the son’s powers begin to take hold, and it is told that he is struggling with using his powers for good or for evil. At around the 4:18 mark, the song take a dramatic shift into a clean guitar and a bassline, with some iconic narration from Bruce. This then starts to open out, with chugging distortion echoing out before becoming much more constant. By god, the havoc that ensues once this section meets it’s ending is an eargasm. We get the most intense soloing that Dave and Adrian have ever recorded and it’s all put together as a massive duel! Between bouts of soloing, there are also some amazing bridging riffs. ARGH! Is there anything this band can’t do!? The song closes out on a great couple of harmonies and sinister chord movements backed with a choir. Such an amazing song! Nicko is once again an MVP here, keeping the song rhythmically captivating, even while the band are simply chugging during the verses. This song is amazing!

After the first five songs though, the story seems to slip a lot. The Prophecy is the only song that really deals with the titular character’s (let’s call him SS2) clairvoyant powers. Sadly, the people do not listen to his prophecy that undisclosed is coming, and when it comes to pass, they blame him for it. While lyrically weak, I actually really love the main riff of this one, and there’s a great bit of studio produced vocal from Bruce where he sings as both the light and dark side of the Seventh Son’s conscience. Yeah, it’s pretty close to filler, one of only two songs I can say that about on this album, but at least it’s got some strong instrumental hooks. My favourite of which is actually the acoustic outro, which features the second fadeout in an Iron Maiden original. Those with a keen ear will almost certainly have spotted the handiwork of Dave Murray in the writing team for this one through the intro alone.

The Clairvoyant is another great song, and the one that actually started the whole process on this album. The first verse of the song deals with SS2 describing his own powers and contemplating how they’re only growing stronger, but he doesn’t know if he’ll be able to control the for much longer. The chorus poses that “there’s a time to live and a time to die”, before some major key soloing which feels really upbeat. But when we return for the second verse, we’re met with a third person perspective that offers the information that SS2 couldn’t see his own death, despite all of his power. It’s never explained how he died, but that’s the main character dead.

Only the Good Die Young is the least progressive song on the album, though probably the fastest paced. The lyrics here paint the picture of the disaster that SS2 predicted but no one heeded. It laughs in the face of those, asking if miracles are all they can trust and likening SS2’s life to a pawn on a chessboard. Steve Harris actually gets a mini bass solo in this one, while both Dave and Adrian get a turn in. The album then ends up going full circle, finishing up with the opening of Moonchild, though omitting the “your trip begins” line.

And that’s Seventh Son of a Seventh Son. You know, this used to be one of my favourites, but listening through again, I’m not sure it still holds up. Don’t get me wrong, this is the third part of an epic trilogy that started with Powerslave, but I almost feel a fatigue in this one rather than an expansion from where we left off with Somewhere in Time. This album absolutely has it’s highs, but it just doesn’t stick the landing as well as I would have hoped. I could liken it to the Original Trilogy for Star Wars fans. This is Maiden’s Return of the Jedi. It’s great, but it’s greatness doesn’t go beyond what Empire/Somewhere in Time did a few years earlier. And I may not be the only one who shares that sentiment, given that this is the last of the classic era.

But, that’s just me. Now I scream allowed to the readers, I say don’t lie, don’t say you don’t know. What do YOU think of Seventh Son of a Seventh Son? Does it end in heaven or in hell for your rankings?

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2024, 02:53:53 PM »
My #2 so yeah it holds up. I like The Prophecy a lot too. The vocals and melodies on this are some of their best and the drums sound fantastic. Title track is a top 5 song for me.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2024, 03:20:25 PM »
It's a good album, but yeah, the execution isn't quite there. This album came out the same year as Operation: Mindcrime, and after hearing that album, Bruce admitted (I'm going by memory from a long time ago, so don't hold me to this) something to the effect of SSoaSS not being as well done as O:M in terms of telling a story as a concept album. It does make me wonder what the album would have been like if they had worked the story out more. Musically the album holds up fairly well, but the "repeat the song title in the chorus several times" started to get really long in the tooth with this album - especially on TETMD and the title track. I can put up with the title track because of the instrumental second half, but TETMD is this album's HCW which is the track I'm prone to skip because of how repetitious it is.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Re: Deadeye Deep Dives: Iron Maiden (Volume 7. Seventh Son)
« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2024, 12:00:05 AM »
It's been my favourite Maiden album for a long time now. I love every track (even CIPWM which seems to be getting some undeserved hate) except The Prophecy, but that outro is cool though.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2024, 06:16:54 AM »
Love this one, unsurprisingly. The first Maiden album that came out when I was already a fan.

There are a couple of things I don't adore (CIPWM lyrics are garbage, title track chorus) but nothing I hate.

Oddly, I love The Prophecy particularly. Great lyrics and vocals, imo. OTGDY is one of my top Maiden songs.

Following SIT, the guitar tone is again quite unusual. I think they were using a different brand of amps for this one. Anyone remember what they were? Much like SIT, I don't recall hearing another album that sounded like it.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #53 on: April 08, 2024, 08:14:26 AM »
I like about half of Seventh Son - Moonchild, Infinite Dreams, The Evil that Men Do (:metal), Seventh Son, The Clairvoyant.

Can I Play with Madness is my least favorite song on the record.  Not much else for me to share - I've seen them play Moonchild, Evil that Men Do, The Clairvoyant and CIPWM live, which is good enough for me. 

Offline billboy73

« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2024, 09:48:50 AM »
This is my favorite Maiden record, with Powerslave close behind.  Moonchild is one of their best album openers and one of my favorite Maiden songs.  I love Can I Play with Madness.  Yes, it's poppy, but it is so damn catchy, and it has a good instrumental section.  The title track is another highlight for me.  The Prophecy is my least favorite track, but I don't find it skippable or terrible.  Only the Good Die Young is a great way to close out this album too.  When I was discovering Maiden, this is one of the first studio albums I bought (Rock in Rio was the first Maiden album I snagged).  My local music shop had a used copy so I grabbed Seventh Son and never looked back.

Offline Deadeye21

Re: Deadeye Deep Dives: Iron Maiden (Volume 8. No Prayer for the Dying)
« Reply #55 on: April 14, 2024, 02:00:50 AM »
No Prayer for the Dying - 1990
Tracklist: 1. Tailgunner. 2. Holy Smoke. 3. No Prayer for the Dying. 4. Public Enema Number One. 5. Fates Warning. 6. The Assassin. 7. Run Silent Run Deep. 8. Hooks in You. 9. Bring Your Daughter… to the Slaughter. 10. Mother Russia.

https://open.spotify.com/album/21ZEAwY2TDnoQvVMJKkjUk?si=OsK4rbcxT522JZq-COBnvw

The sound of Iron Maiden had become very synth heavy with Somewhere in Time and Seventh Son, though I would dare argue that it still felt like somewhat of a natural progression. However, facing the turn of the decade and seeing the rise of Grunge throughout 89, Maiden revaluated their trajectory and went for a “back-to-basics” approach. Boy, how I wish I could say everyone was on board. Through a growing dislike for how fast the band were playing songs live and a disagreement on the change in direction, Adrian Smith decided to call it a day with Iron Maiden. His departure would mark the start of a decline for Maiden in the eyes of many.

Replacing Adrian was no easy task, but the job was ultimately given to Janick Gers, who had played with Ian Gillan from Deep Purple between 1980 and 1982. He had also teamed up with Paul Di’Anno and Clive Burr, as well as Pete Willis (ex-Def Leppard) for the Gogmagog EP in 1985. As luck would have it, Bruce Dickinson had been approached to record a song for the Nightmare on Elm Street 5 soundtrack, and he had asked Gers to play on it. This gave him an in for the job when the time came.

With the new lineup in place, songs were recorded using the Rolling Stones Mobile Studio on Steve Harris’ property in Essex. The outcome of which became No Prayer for the Dying, an album which consistently ranks very low for fans and has been largely ignored since 1993. But is that reputation deserved? Let’s dive in!

The album opens with a bass lead over chugging guitars and Nicko’s hi-hats, which then opens into the first verse. This is Tailgunner, looking into the battle over Dresden back in World War II. It’s almost a sequel to Aces High in it’s own way, with a similar structure of verse, chorus, solo, verse, chorus, out. However, I find this one stripped of a certain identity that many of the Maiden openers have had to this point. This is a very straightforward song. No real harmony lines, no big opening moment. Even Bruce’s vocals seem to have dipped an octave or two from his usual operatic forte. The chorus is very repetitive lyrically, though I must say I like the key change throughout. The solo section here is pretty effective though and does set up Janick really nicely. I think it’s a good song, but it just doesn’t have a certain factor that makes it Maiden for my ear.

Holy Smoke delivers on the harmony guitars from the start. The instrumental is much simpler, but Bruce has a frantic pace to his vocals here. The lyrics here take a very critical stance on televangelism, with Bruce giving his vocals a real raspy quality. This is one of the first times in memory that we’ve had a slightly expletive word here, with the line “I’ve lived in filth, I’ve lived in sin, and I still smell cleaner than the shit you’re in”. The solo here really doesn’t stick with me the same as so many before it have. If this is Iron Maiden’s Leper Messiah, then I think Metallica had them beat on this particular subject.

If Tailgunner felt like a sequel to Aces High, No Prayer for the Dying is a direct sequel to Infinite Dreams. The intro melodies are very similar, though I think I actually enjoy this version a little more. I’m not a huge fan of Bruce’s delivery on this song, which is a shame because I think it’s actually a very good lyric. These lyrics deal with the questions of the meaning of life and asking God for answers in the song’s closing bridge. I really like the pacing of the second half of the song, ramping up from the quiet approach the first two verses had taken. Still, the solos don’t hit me, but the riff beneath them does. I really like the rhythm bursts beneath the ending flurry of the solo.

Public Enema Number One is a politically charged song, talking about the dire ways of the world. Everything about this song really works for me, Bruce’s snarl is perfect and I love the riffing on this one. What’s even better is that the solo actually really hits me, aided significantly by the way the instrumental section begins. This is one of my favourites on the album, though I haven’t got much to say about it. The title pun speaks for itself coupled with the lyrics. I want to highlight the line “I don’t need a crystal ball to sell ya”, which I feel is not just a good line about “I know what’s going to happen and I can’t see the future” but also a throwback to Can I Play With Madness and, in context, almost contrasts with Die With Your Boots On. Just something to think about next time you visit the album.

Fates Warning is sadly not a tribute to the kickass proggers, but is a song about the inevitability of fate. This song is definitely a Dave Murray song, which you can tell from the intro. This is fairly bulk standard for this period of Maiden but actually has one of my favourite bridges on the album just because of the sound that almost calls back to Total Eclipse in my ear. This has one of the cooler solo sections on the album, topped off by a really decent harmony section connecting the two solos. This one never saw the light of a live performance, but it’s a ripper of a song IMO.

The Assassin is a real mixed bag. I really love the instrumental in the verses which are full of tension. There’s also some riffs supporting the chorus that feel very reminiscent of To Tame a Land. The soloing is awesome! There’s so much to love here, I even like the fact that the lyrics are almost a retelling of Killers but from the killer’s perspective. So why do I not think this song lands? Well, firstly, it’s too short and never hits a true climax worthy of what’s been set up throughout the rest of the song. Secondly, that chorus is awful on the album version, and I specify that because I think it actually works far better live. But, sometimes, Iron Maiden can be like that, prioritising that live moment even if it makes the recorded version a little bit worse. Ah man, this could have really been up there for me if it had been done slightly different.

Run Silent Run Deep opens with such a mysterious air to it, which is extremely fitting for the subject matter of submarine warfare. Bruce has recounted that these lyrics actually date back to some of his rejected material for Somewhere in Time and while they wouldn’t have fit that album, I’m really glad they made them off of the cutting room floor, for the most part (that Davy Jones line is kinda dumb). This has my favourite harmony of the album for sure, it’s just so upbeat. Everything on this song should’ve added up to being a classic Maiden track, even if in the same category as songs like Sea of Madness where its off the beaten path but still loved by the fans. However, Maiden never brought this song to the stage and Run Silent Run Deep is a forgotten deep cut.

Hooks in You features a riff written by Adrian Smith before he left the band. The instrumental to this song is awesome, though I must admit the lyrics are kinda dumb. Bruce has explained this song is about a bit of an S&M vibe, in the non-Metallica sense. I must admit, I really love the vibe of the bridge with the lead guitar shining above the chord chugging. Great song for instrumental, but just not a great vocal or lyric. Some have argued that this is the third part of the Charlotte the Harlot quadrilogy due to the opening line of “I’ve got the keys to view at number 22”, but it has very little to do with the character ultimately.

Bring Your Daughter… to the Slaughter is the second to last song on the album, and this is almost a cover as far as Iron Maiden is concerned. This is the song that Bruce had written for Nightmare on Elm Street that Janick had played on. Well, the lyric here is actually not about slaughter as in a killing, but rather much more personal. Bruce didn’t think very much of the films so decided to write something a bit daft. Steve Harris ended up liking it, so the band rerecorded it for this album. Somehow it ended up being the band’s only number one single in the UK, though it’s had very little airplay. This is the only song from the album that has been played since 1993, and I don’t think it really needed to be. There are so many better songs on this album, and I think I’d end up putting this dead last in my ranking for the album. There's just nothing here for me to really get into. The verses are boring as anything, and the chorus is very repetitive. Don't get me wrong, there are Maiden songs coming up that do the repetitive chorus well, and there's definitely worse songs coming up, but I just don't dig it.

Mother Russia, on the other hand, is pretty rocking. This is the ‘epic’ for the album, and as such, I feel there are some slight similarities to Seventh Son of a Seventh Son’s title track. Bruce has said the song is about a great land with a terrible of being overrun and people being massacred and wishing they could get things together and live in peace. Well, this song came out in the 90s and we’re currently in the tenth year of the Russo-Ukrainian conflict. Many Russians don’t like the song as they feel it to be a little patronising and I can definitely see that point of view. This doesn’t exactly end the album on a triumphant note, nor really give it any closure but to peter out sadly.

And that’s No Prayer for the Dying. I have to say I don’t think it’s as worthy of the hate that it has received over the years, but it certainly isn’t a great album by any stretch of the imagination. I find this to be largely forgettable, though it has some really strong moments. I would urge you to take another listen to the middle of the album, specifically Public Enema Number One through to Run Silent Run Deep again, as I feel these songs deserve a bit more love than they’ve seen in recent years. I find it odd that this has two more songs than Seventh Son did, but according to Spotify, these two albums are exactly the same length and according to Wikipedia, this is actually the shorter album.

What do you think of the album? We’ve finally entered the really divisive era of the band, so I think the discussion here is gonna be great!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2024, 07:19:13 PM by Deadeye21 »

Offline Dream Team

Re: Deadeye Deep Dives: Iron Maiden (Volume 9. No Prayer for the Dying)
« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2024, 06:20:48 AM »
Barf emoji

Offline Trav86

« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2024, 08:10:33 AM »
I like it more than most do. It’s a time period thing.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Fonzie

« Reply #58 on: April 14, 2024, 10:18:20 AM »
I like it. Not my fave, but definitely better than the next…

Offline Grappler

« Reply #59 on: April 14, 2024, 07:11:28 PM »
The best thing about No Prayer is when Jack Dalton sang a tiny bit of Mother Russia on the MacGyver reboot at the end of this clip:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jS9YZ9CUI8

:lol

Tailgunner is cool, Bring Your Daughter kicks ass, but that's about all I usually listen to from this album. 

Offline Deadeye21

« Reply #60 on: April 14, 2024, 08:55:18 PM »
The best thing about No Prayer is when Jack Dalton sang a tiny bit of Mother Russia on the MacGyver reboot at the end of this clip:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jS9YZ9CUI8

I had never seen that before! That’s awesome

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #61 on: April 15, 2024, 04:33:34 AM »
Pretty much in agreement with Deadeye on No Prayer. Run Silent Run Deep is one of my favourite Malden songs.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #62 on: April 15, 2024, 09:21:01 AM »
Sorry Deadeye you deserve better than “barf emoji” after all that effort you put in. Here’s my story with this album. Bought it upon release and after taking it home and seeing the track lengths I knew I was in trouble. My two favorite Maiden albums were the two previous ones with the epic songwriting so when I saw all the 4s at the beginning of the songs (not to mention some lame titles) I knew I was screwed. The opener was nice and peppy so I liked that but afterward it was a slog until the last song which had a nice epic feel. Since then I’ve come to appreciate Run Silent Run Deep but this album has always been my least favorite except for the 2 albums with you-know-who (not talking about Dianno). Production also took a giant step backward and with no Adrian on board it was a huge dip in quality for me.

Offline Deadeye21

Re: Deadeye Deep Dives: Iron Maiden (Volume 9. Fear of the Dark)
« Reply #63 on: April 22, 2024, 07:17:58 PM »
Fear of the Dark - 1992
Tracklist: 1. Be Quick or Be Dead. 2. From Here to Eternity. 3. Afraid to Shoot Strangers. 4. Fear is the Key. 5. Childhood’s End. 6. Wasting Love. 7. The Fugitive. 8. Chains of Misery. 9. The Apparition. 10. Judas Be My Guide. 11. Weekend Warrior. 12. Fear of the Dark.

https://open.spotify.com/album/16Su3EUFLPqWVyrwN1q5wO?si=lpzSdLoxSqOciFr_J7wiFw

WARNING: There is a song on this album that really irks me, and I wasn't afraid ripping it a new one. I have used the censored emoji, but if it offends you to see this song being torn apart, remember that all of this is subjective. Right, onto it!

After using the Rolling Stone Mobile Studio for No Prayer for the Dying and having less than stellar results, Steve Harris ended up fleshing out his set up into a fully-fledged recording studio, nicknamed Barnyard, which Martin Birch helped to supervise the sound of. The first album produced there became the longest to date and the band’s first double LP. Inspired by the turn of the decade, there were a lot of darker themes on this album, with the concept of fear permeating through in several places.

So is this album a light in the black, or a dark spot in the band’s discography? Let’s dive in.

Be Quick or Be Dead wastes no time in smacking you over the head with it’s aggressive, almost thrash metal sound. This song is absolutely ferocious, opening with a killer riff and an awesome scream from Bruce. Lyrically, Be Quick or Be Dead targets dodgy deals and corruption within the political system at the time. While many would probably find fault with Bruce’s vocal style on this song, I have to admit this is a highlight for me straight out of the gate. I really hope this makes a comeback someday. Nicko’s drumming is absolutely driving here and it’s just a high point for the album, adding some much needed ballsiness that I felt was missing from No Prayer.

The same cannot be said for From Here to Eternity, however. This song is the return and ultimate end of Charlotte the Harlot, who meets up with the devil and takes a motorcycle ride that ultimately ends in their deaths. Sadly, the lyrics are lacking, even from the lust filled lyrics from her debut. The solos on this song are an absolute highlight, and the chorus does have some real singalong quality, but ultimately, there’s no real body to the song and kinda feels like a song written just to be a single. Bruce ends the track saying something about “Get on your M11” which is the highway linking North-East London to Cambridge, so at least we have an approximate location of where she died, I guess? I don't know why, but I just don’t really like this song much.

Back to some killer Maiden material, and one of the only songs that Maiden has ever returned to after the initial touring behind the album. Afraid to Shoot Strangers is about the Gulf War and “how shitty war is that it's started by politicians and has to be finished by ordinary people that don't really want to kill anybody” as Bruce puts it. It’s a unique position for a war song for Maiden in that this doesn’t deal with the combat like The Trooper or the aftermath like Metallica’s One. Instead, this gets into the head of a soldier about to go to battle. While the final verse is a little bit shaky, I think this has some really great lyrics. With the opening ballad section over, we move into a classic sounding Maiden with great guitar leads and impressive soloing feats. This is a great song, and another huge highlight on the album. This was brought back on the Maiden England tour in 2012 and 2013 until it was replaced by Revelations, but I really hope they bring it back again before Maiden calls it a day. It's pretty special with the three guitars, so here's a quick link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZNkhRyUVHU

Fear is the Key is a song about AIDS. I think the riff rocks, and there’s definitely a bluesy element to it all. There’s actually a lot of greatness in this song, and I have to really agree with one of the key lines to this song, being “nobody cares until someone famous dies”. And then you get past a decent solo section into the second bridge, and the song just changes for the worst. I think the instrumental under this bridge has a lot going for it, but Bruce just goes too far into weird territory for me. It’s not a bad song, but there is some odd choices made and I think it could’ve been a far better song. Ah well.

One song that I really love that I never see anyone talking about is Childhood’s End. These lyrics take a look at children dying because their so-called leaders don’t care about them, and basically goes on to say that humans can’t remain children when there are so many pointless wars and catastrophes. Everything about this song is amazing. There’s a real emotional element to the riffs and a huge tension in the verses and the sparseness of the choruses. And then there’s all the soloing goodness, of course. And it all comes to an abrupt halt with the only utterance of the title. Hands down, one of my favourite songs from the 90s and wouldn’t you know, Maiden never touched it live. If they’re gonna start changing the rules and playing songs that have never been played after 37 years, they can turn around and do this one from 32 years ago next tour, thanks very much.

Wasting Love is probably the closest that Maiden ever really got to a ‘love song’, and it’s also one of their first real power ballads. This talks about the loneliness that comes from having sex with a lot of different people but never really coming to love someone or care about them beyond that momentary pleasure. This is Iron Maiden’s 9th most streamed song on Spotify, which I find interesting as, while it is a decent song, it’s so outside of what I consider classic Maiden that it almost doesn’t register as being their song, it always feels like solo Bruce to me somehow.

One of the deeper cuts for the album is another one that I’ve always really liked, The Fugitive. This is much like The Prisoner in that it’s based off of the TV series (which coincidentally was made into a film with Harrison Ford and Tommy Lee Jones the following year). This just has a great vibe to it, and Bruce sells the story perfectly. I’ve always really liked the intro, starting heavy and then breaking down into the clean. I also really like the way this comes back around after the first solo, which manages to have an air of mystery and danger to it. This also pulls off a great plot twist, where Bruce says “even if I’m proven innocent, now I gotta get them all and make them pay”. I think it’s a great song, so of course, it’s another one that Maiden never played live. They’re getting great at that on the last few albums.

Going back to the bluesier vibe, we have Chains of Misery. According to Bruce, this lyric is about the devil on your shoulder, dishing out the worst possible advice that, if heeded, would absolutely ruin your life. It’s such a rocker of a song, and the solo section is a totally different vibe that compliments the song so well. This is a song with a co-writing credit from Dave Murray, and it’s probably the least Dave Murray song since Charlotte the Harlot. This is a pretty short song that doesn’t really leave me with a whole lot to say about it, but I enjoy it.

Ok, the f :censored just happened? The Apparition takes all the good will I had for this album, crumpled it up and threw it back in my face. This song is terrible. And the problem with that is that the riff that kicks us into the solo section would have been a perfect main riff for the song. The solos themselves are great, and the harmony is absolutely killer. But when you stick that in the middle of something so bland and repetitive as this, it just can’t save it. The lyric itself is actually excellent and full of great life advice. Just, I don’t want to hear Bruce out. This song shouldn’t have happened, and if it had to, they should have done a lot better. Bruce is almost kicking back like he’s about to bust into an early 90s rap, the backing track is uninspired, and the “chorus” turnaround is weak. No stars awarded. EUGH!

Judas Be My Guide takes on the hard task of trying to win us back after that, and it actually does a fairly admirable job. This is another Dickinson / Murray credit, and this absolutely slaps! As one of Maiden’s shortest songs (not counting Ides of March), this takes on a solid pace and doesn’t waste much time. On Bruce’s first solo album, there is a song called Son of a Gun with a lyric that mentions “In a blood red sunrise, take me to Jesus with Judas my guide”. That line gave Bruce the inspiration to flesh it out into a full song, and I’m glad it did, because this is another highlight. Everything here is top notch, and I’d even recommend checking out the LORD cover, which came up during my roulette.

Weekend Warrior is a bit of filler, which a lot of people don’t really care for, but I like enough when it’s on. Lyrically, this song is about football hooliganism, and the “fake fans” that don’t care about the game in the slightest but live for starting fights. I have to say, I like the reset between at the end of verses, though I wish it had reverted to just the guitars without Bruce repeating the last line. The solos are killer, the harmony is fantastic, and even if the rest is a little bit mundane, it’s good filler unlike The Apparition which is a total waste of nearly 4 minutes. Sorry, that song was that bad.

We end the album on the title track and the big classic that hasn’t left the setlist for more than a single year since release, Fear of the Dark. The lyric here is exactly what we all know, being the fear of something being hiding in the darkness that we can’t see until it’s too late. I must admit to something that I think every single Maiden fan has found since probably 2002 when Rock in Rio released, I don’t think the studio version has much impact on me, while the live versions are always stellar. I don’t know what it is, but this song really comes to life on stage, where I don’t know that the album version ever really did. Nonetheless, this closes the album out on a strong note that I think we all needed. Since I did make mention of Wasting Love’s streaming record, I may as well mention that this is currently Maiden’s number 3 most popular on Spotify. If there’s one thing I don’t love about this song, it’s that it all closes on the clean closing vocals. I just wish it had ended a bit stronger since it is the album closer.

And that’s Fear of the Dark. I must say, I wasn’t looking forward to revisiting this one, which did contribute to the lateness of this writeup. This does mark the breaking point for the band, as shortly after this album’s release, Bruce left the band in a far less than positive manner. The third show of the tour was particularly notable though, as the opening band was none other than Dream Theater, who were still a month out from Images and Words.

This album is such a mixed bag that I don’t know if I like it or not. There are a few pretty great songs, and then there’s tunes like From Here to Eternity and The  :censored ing Apparition that kinda plague this album. I’m keen to have some discussion on this one to see what you guys think. With Bruce gone, The X Factor comes next.

Offline DTA

« Reply #64 on: April 23, 2024, 05:44:21 AM »
Childhoods End always reminded me of Fish-era Marillion, like something from Script or Fugazi. The title is also a Marillion song title.

I find the two early 90’s albums really enjoyable. There’s a dumb simplicity to them that I appreciate, and I’ve been kind of hoping they would go back to shorter song lengths like these two.

The Apparation is indeed garbage but I really enjoy the rest of the album. The Fugitive is one of my top underrated Maiden songs. 

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #65 on: April 23, 2024, 06:52:11 AM »
FotD feels really unfocused and messy, just a collection of songs rather than a cohesive album (even No Prayer feels like Maiden had a vision for that album).  Without a shadow of a doubt the worst Bruce Maiden album in my opinion, and the title track while decent isn't worthy of a legendary status.
Oh yeah and  :censored is terrible!  ;D

Offline Grappler

« Reply #66 on: April 23, 2024, 07:05:06 AM »
I think the album starts incredibly strong and finishes strong. 

BQOBD / Eternity / Afraid / Fear is the Key / Childhood's End - all killer songs for me, right from the start.
Then the album plods along, The Fugitive kicks ass, Judas Be My Guide is AMAZING, and the title track caps it off. 

This was the very first Iron Maiden album I had ever heard.  When I was 13-14, (93/94) I realized that my town's library had cassettes and CD's that you could check out.  Being a new metalhead, I looked through the rock and heavy metal sections and found a cassette of this album.  I checked it out, enjoyed it and copied it onto a blank tape.  I knew nothing about Maiden other than the fact that some of the songs on this album grabbed me as a teenager getting into metal.  Years later, I bought Best of the Beast and heard the older songs for the first time and had my mind blown.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #67 on: April 23, 2024, 04:12:38 PM »
FotD feels really unfocused and messy, just a collection of songs rather than a cohesive album (even No Prayer feels like Maiden had a vision for that album).  Without a shadow of a doubt the worst Bruce Maiden album in my opinion, and the title track while decent isn't worthy of a legendary status.
Oh yeah and  :censored is terrible!  ;D

About the same. JBMG is the only really great song for me. BQOBD, ATSS and FOTD are good but not great. The breakout riff on the title track is an absolute piece of perfection, mind.

The rest is a dull, mediocre or crap. It sounds dry and dull, too. I still remember the disappointment teenage me felt with it. Flush.