Author Topic: PROGPOWER USA XXIII  (Read 29484 times)

Offline Blackcastle

PROGPOWER USA XXIII
« on: September 13, 2019, 11:22:21 AM »
Friday, Sept. 11, 2020  Day 3:
Conception (Norway) *US EXCLUSIVE*
Jeff Scott Soto’s Tribute to Queen (USA)
The Night Flight Orchestra (Sweden) *US DEBUT & EXCLUSIVE*
Eternal Tears of Sorrow (Finland) *US DEBUT & EXCLUSIVE*
Witherfall (USA)
Shattered Skies (Ireland, England) *US DEBUT & EXCLUSIVE*

Saturday, Sept. 12, 2020  Day 4:
Turilli / Lione Rhapsody (Italy) *US EXCLUSIVE*
Ihsahn -Official- (Norway) *US EXCLUSIVE
theGathering (The Netherlands) *US EXCLUSIVE*
Beast In Black (Multi-national) *US DEBUT*
Thank You Scientist (USA)
Arion (Finland) *US DEBUT & EXCLUSIVE”

Dates: September 11-12, 2020
Tickets on sale Sat., Oct. 12 at 10am ET via Ticketmaster
Roster for Days 1 & 2 is TBA
« Last Edit: October 16, 2023, 12:48:21 PM by Blackcastle »

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: PROGPOWER USA XXI
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2019, 11:47:28 AM »
My friend is the keyboardist for Witherfall. Soooo happy for him. There isn't a single bad entry for these days so I really hope the visa process goes better for next year's fest... it's such a good lineup.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2019, 06:28:28 AM »
Ill be seeing Battle BEast soon, haven't gotten a chance to dig into Beast in Black, but I got a feeling I'm already going to really like them.  But yea, I expect to be back in ATL next year but I got a lot of homework to get digging into.  Probably won't start for another month or so though, just got myself so backed up on music to listen to. 

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2019, 05:50:45 PM »
Shattered Skies should kick ass
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2019, 03:06:23 PM »
Night Flight Orchestra seem to be an oddball to the progpower sound, but damn do I really like what I've been listening to.  Bring on the 80s.  :yarr

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2019, 03:08:58 PM »
Night Flight Orchestra seem to be an oddball to the progpower sound, but damn do I really like what I've been listening to.  Bring on the 80s.  :yarr

Yeah they're absolutely blowing my mind. I can't be happier with Amber Galactic, whatever they play off that one I will go nuts for. I really want to hear that three song run of Domino, Josephine, and Space Whisperer in particular.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2019, 02:08:09 PM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/B2_9SXOAE35/

ProgPowerUSA XXV will be the final festival apparently.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2019, 02:14:42 PM »
Yup, that was announced last year.  I'm really hoping Milton/Nathan takes over or something and that it's not the end of the whole thing.  It's really too unique and adored to just disappear completely. 

Or maybe someone else completely and moves it somewhere like NYC (I'm being selfish here) just something to keep it going because it's really the only opportunity for Americans to see these bands outside of crazy travel and expenses.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2019, 03:26:33 PM »
I agree, I hope it doesn't end. It's too important for so many music fans and bands to get exposure here even if it's just for one night of the year. With the rising VISA issues and Glenn departing, about the only hope people have is like Marc said, that Milton and Nathan take it over. I think they're capable of it, and they have the backing of the fans for sure.

Plus I just started going last year soooo I want to be one of those guys in his 40s that's talking about how it's his 17th ProgPower in 2035  :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2019, 03:30:59 PM »
 :lol

Funny how I sat next to two dudes at the Delain/Amorphis/Anneke show a couple weeks ago and I wore my PP shirt.  The guy asks how many have you gone to? "3, what about you?" "17"  :rollin It's amazing how so many people have gone to so many. 

In other PP news, I've got a lot of homework to do for next year.  I'm kind of in a lul this week for new music so started listening to some PP bands I don't know.  I mentioned Night Flight Orchestra the other day, but today has been Shattered Skies  :metal I feel like this is the modern djent/prog metal band for this year and I'm liking it what I hear.

On the other end, Eternal Tears of Sorrow hasn't really hit me from the few songs I listened to today.  Not bad, but the harsh vocals aren't my favorite and kind of take away from the music and the clean vocals I did enjoy. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2019, 03:34:28 PM »
My thoughts exactly. The harsh vocals turn me off of what I do like about ETOS - but when there aren't harsh vox, oh man, good stuff. Shattered Skies is a band I'm currently in love with, same with Night Flight Orchestra. Next year is going to be sooo good. NFO in particular has me spellbound with that early Toto vibe and I will be thoroughly intoxicated shaking my booty the whole set  :rollin

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2019, 03:38:08 PM »
 :lol yea, their music has a cool groove to it that makes me want to dance like we are at a disco.  I'm really really really digging them.  I'll be getting their latest album soon (I want it on my phone before my next flight Thursday).    I'm guessing their band members are a reason why they are playing the festival (I've read their wiki, soilwork and arch enemy members) because the sound really doesn't fit.  Seems like  Poets of the Fall for this year, as in a band that's not really metal but has enough relationship to possibly work.  I think they are going to be SO MUCH FUN

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2019, 03:46:06 PM »
I can't imagine if I was still attending these every year.

I went to I II, III, V, and X.

Loved all of them, especially the 1st (PoS), but cost and taste has never found me going back. I still check out the roster every year and follow Glenn/PPUSA on Social Media though.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2019, 03:47:05 PM »
I've just come from the future and found footage of myself on the floor while NFO plays Domino next year

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2019, 03:48:31 PM »
I'm in on that  :metal  :lol

Loved all of them, especially the 1st (PoS), but cost and taste has never found me going back. I still check out the roster every year and follow Glenn/PPUSA on Social Media though.

Taste as in your own taste or the festival's taste has changed?

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2019, 08:49:55 PM »
I'm in on that  :metal  :lol

Taste as in your own taste or the festival's taste has changed?

probably more to do with my own, but in a nutshell: when PPUSA started, they had a lot of Prog Metal bands I wanted to see, and even some Power Metal. Power Metal as-a-whole has never been a genre I've loved, but I find some exceptions.

But there are more artists that play the festival now, even among the Prog Metal acts, that I'm either not into or don't know.

But there are some recent years with groups I'd enjoy seeing, but the cost (beyond budget limits, I would have a hard time justifying it to my wife given she would have no interest whatsoever). But I also find the counter being to just use what money I have on seeing local shows, or in the rare occasion taking a trip with my wife, for something we'd both enjoy (more her primary taste, that I also enjoy).

We'd all like to hold our own festival (hold, not RUN I'm sure), and I would say back in 2001, 2002, 2004, the Prog Metal bands that played or might play PP I loved, but the last decade or more, I would say my primary taste is not with the Prog Metal, as it was back then. Is it because Prog Metal was better back then? maybe. Or perhaps I just am not into traditional sounding Prog Metal, even if so many others that attend PPUSA every year are.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2019, 07:50:09 AM »
Yea I can see how progmetal was different in the early 2000s compared to today.  Bands like Caligula's Horse or Shattered Skies didn't exist yet and they represent a very different style of progmetal today.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2019, 09:56:54 AM »
I've just come from the future and found footage of myself on the floor while NFO plays Domino next year

You’d really let some strange dude kiss you like that?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2019, 10:04:05 AM »

I'd be that other chick laughing.

NFO is one band I'm looking towards. Gonna buy my ticket and hope for the best in making the show.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2019, 10:06:17 AM »

You’d really let some strange dude kiss you like that?

:rollin

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2019, 11:13:49 AM »

That strange dude could be me

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2019, 12:35:14 PM »

Haha could very well be...

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2019, 01:29:50 PM »

I'm the bald one.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2019, 02:00:28 PM »
You are but I don't see any bald person in that  :lol also if its a fight to kiss Kat, you can win that

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2019, 02:04:18 PM »
I am clearly the bald hoo-man

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2019, 02:34:25 PM »
You are but I don't see any bald person in that  :lol

I didn't pay close attention to the .gif all the way thru... in the first part, it just looks like a reflection off his dome.   :lol
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2019, 02:40:00 PM »
 yup I figured you saw the shine of the head and thought that  :lol

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2019, 02:50:35 PM »
yup I figured you saw the shine of the head and thought that  :lol

I guess I'm just so used to seeing that!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2019, 03:10:54 PM »
YEAH BUDDY!! One of my favorite guitarists Bill Hudson and his band NorthTale put out one of my favorite records of 2019, their debut "Welcome to Paradise" - and they're playing day 2 of next year's ProgPower! Check out the video here:

https://vimeo.com/user20776087

Although that song is pretty much the one anomaly on the record, 'cause almost everything else is traditional Helloween/Stratovarius-style power metal :2metal:

Every day has at least one band I am massively hyped for and the full day 1-2 roster isn't even announced yet. Power Quest on day 1, NorthTale on day 2, Witherfall and Shattered Skies on day 3, Turilli/Lione Rhapsody on day 4. I CAN'T WAIT!!

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2019, 08:39:52 PM »
Well, this doesn't do anything to push me closer to wanting to attend. I know that album gets you stiff, Katt... but i thought it was as dry as a popcorn fart.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2019, 09:54:28 PM »
That sounds.... not too nice jingle.  :lol

Do you like Darkwater at all? 

I think you should come next year no matter what.  You'll get to know some of the bands better and probably like them.  Only a few years left.  You have some courtyard time to make up for.  It'll be fun. :)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2019, 09:58:49 PM »
I was kind of worried the progpower sickness might have made you not want to come back at all

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2019, 10:02:12 PM »
I don't blame Chad. NorthTale is scratching a very specific power metal itch, and it's a bullseye for Katt. It certainly wouldn't be something I expect Chad to like, they're squarely on the traditional power metal crowd's radar. I don't care if anybody else isn't psyched. I'm hyped AF  :lol

Also I agree Chad, and all other forumites, show up :)

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2019, 06:14:47 AM »
That sounds.... not too nice jingle.  :lol

Do you like Darkwater at all? 

I think you should come next year no matter what.  You'll get to know some of the bands better and probably like them.  Only a few years left.  You have some courtyard time to make up for.  It'll be fun. :)

I do like Darkwater. This years release is their best so far, imo.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2019, 09:28:43 AM »
USA has been demanding The Ocean to come back for years and years, looks like they're finally coming back to the next ProgPower :corn
I'm not sure what the progpower crowd is like but if there's anything The Ocean are not it's power metal :lol

https://vimeo.com/365021344?fbclid=IwAR1ITlOmVzaYahE8DihPwWTQBD3jwf7YWVBTaxHuGD2ZfChWmvRQ2R4aSuo
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.