Author Topic: Goodbye, Ginger Baker.  (Read 1100 times)

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
Goodbye, Ginger Baker.
« on: October 06, 2019, 05:19:36 AM »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-49827436

80. Nice innings. Great drummer, bit of a nutter.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Re: Goodbye, Ginger Baker.
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2019, 06:28:36 AM »
Great drummer, bit of a nutter.

Both of this. May he find his peace.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2019, 09:31:22 AM »
I only know his work with Cream, but he was definitely a heckuva drummer, especially for that time period.  He and Keith Moon took rock drumming to a level never seen before in the mid to late 60's.

R.I.P.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2019, 09:57:58 AM »
Rest in Peace Mr. Baker

One of my favorites among his catalog, the incredibly underrated/overlooked Hawkwind album "Levitation."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9G_Out0R58

I also loved him with Blind Faith and Cream of course.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2019, 01:09:58 PM »
Which makes Eric Clapton the only member of Cream to still be alive right now.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2019, 09:52:49 AM »
RIP to a right mad drummer.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2019, 09:38:26 AM »
Like his stuff outside of Cream more.  Only saw him once in a very small club with his Jazz Confusion band a few years back. He needed help getting to and from his kit, but man could he play once he was there.

Never forgot that night since it happened. He was that good.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2019, 04:07:50 PM »
Cream was a pioneering hard rock band that had some incredible tunes, but overall they were a miss that underachieved. I know that Jackie Bruce held bitter feelings toward Led Zeppelin.  For good reason. They accomplished what Cream tried to do. 
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2019, 05:25:05 PM »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2019, 05:59:43 PM »
Cream was a pioneering hard rock band that had some incredible tunes, but overall they were a miss that underachieved. I know that Jackie Bruce held bitter feelings toward Led Zeppelin.  For good reason. They accomplished what Cream tried to do.

Hmmm, that is an interesting take.

Given the glowing terms of which are almost always spoken about them, it's hard for me to say they underachieved.  Sure, you could say they had no longevity, but it was pretty normal back then for bands to have a very short shelf life (even the Beatles didn't even last 10 years), and they do after all have a handful of stone cold classics that have stood the test of time. 

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2019, 08:11:05 PM »
I’ve got all their albums and most of their live stuff and found myself wanting more. I wanted to love this band,  but the handful of great songs was just a tease to me. God knows they had the chops. Live, they fell into the trap of endless blues jams that sorta went nowhere. And this is coming from someone who listens to live Dead and Allman Brothers.

Zeppelin started off in a similar vein on their first album with a preponderance of blues standards, but they evolved into something that transcended that.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2019, 06:40:32 PM »
True, but I think most bands from the late 60's and 70's will pale in comparison if we put what they did up against what the mighty Zeppelin did.

Full disclosure: Cream is one of those many 60's/70's bands where you give me their best 10-15 songs and that's all I need.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2019, 07:17:35 PM »
I’ve got all their albums and most of their live stuff and found myself wanting more. I wanted to love this band,  but the handful of great songs was just a tease to me. God knows they had the chops. Live, they fell into the trap of endless blues jams that sorta went nowhere. And this is coming from someone who listens to live Dead and Allman Brothers.

Zeppelin started off in a similar vein on their first album with a preponderance of blues standards, but they evolved into something that transcended that.

I've never been a Clapton fan, which I suppose is why Cream never did much for me. Now that I consider it, the "endless blues jams that sorta went nowhere" might be a reason why.

I really love most of what Bruce and Baker did individually and in other projects, but Cream (Clapton) never really did a lot for me.

Offline Silent Man

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2019, 04:32:30 PM »
Rest in Peace Mr. Baker

One of my favorites among his catalog, the incredibly underrated/overlooked Hawkwind album "Levitation."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9G_Out0R58

I also loved him with Blind Faith and Cream of course.

Thank you for that information. I heard about Hawkwind before, but never actually bumped into or listened to them until now. I streamed the album and it’s brilliant! The music is like nothing else I’ve heard before, maybe a hint of punk...and then that pumpin bass. I listened to some of their other albums, and they are crazy different, always surprising and never predictable. I prefer to have the CDs instead of streaming, so I expect a mighty expence now...

Ginger Baker was in my top 5 drummer list, may he R.I.P. He was one of the few whose style could be recognized amongst 100s. FWIW, my top drummer list would be Baker /Collins /Bruford /Moon /Hiseman - all totally different and masters of drumming in their own way.