Author Topic: writing fast guitar solos with keyboard  (Read 2243 times)

Offline icysk8r

• DTF Resident Magician
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • www.bedeceived.com
writing fast guitar solos with keyboard
« on: September 04, 2009, 01:11:06 PM »
any tips on writing fast guitar solos using a keyboard?
www.bedeceived.com

ZOMG WHAT'S AT BEDECEIVED.COM?

I DUNNO!  CLICK THE DARNED LINK TO FIND OUT!

Offline brakkum

• DT.net Member
  • Bass Boy
Re: writing fast guitar solos with keyboard
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 03:45:42 PM »
like what? i dont get it.

jut write what sounds good. chances are what sounds good on a piano will not sound good or (definitely not) the same on a guitar.
https://concertculture.blogspot.com/

https://brakmusic.tumblr.com/

And on the 8th day, God created Dream Theater. God then proceeded to rock out with his cock out.

Offline icysk8r

• DTF Resident Magician
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • www.bedeceived.com
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 07:49:02 PM »

jut write what sounds good. chances are what sounds good on a piano will not sound good or (definitely not) the same on a guitar.
I use the guitar sounds on the keyboard, and the problem is, I can't make something fast that sounds good.  I just don't know how, which is why I am asking.
www.bedeceived.com

Offline brakkum

• DT.net Member
  • Bass Boy
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 11:04:02 PM »

I use the guitar sounds on the keyboard, and the problem is, I can't make something fast that sounds good.  I just don't know how, which is why I am asking.

theory, know some theory, is about all i can tell ya. pentatonic scales are your friend.

And on the 8th day, God created Dream Theater. God then proceeded to rock out with his cock out.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 11:11:26 PM »

theory, know some theory, is about all i can tell ya. pentatonic scales are your friend.
This. Also learn the church modes. Then learn what sounds good with what, i.e. - thirds, fifths, octaves, etc.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 11:35:17 PM »
Find good MIDI transcriptions of fast solos and analyze how they're constructed.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline icysk8r

• DTF Resident Magician
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • www.bedeceived.com
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 11:51:41 PM »
all of that memorizing scales stuff is so hard though.  ugh, I wish it was easier to just create a petrucci-like solo and move on, I hate my songs getting dragged down by slow solos.
www.bedeceived.com

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2009, 12:06:28 AM »
all of that memorizing scales stuff is so hard though.  ugh, I wish it was easier to just create a petrucci-like solo and move on, I hate my songs getting dragged down by slow solos.

If everyone could do it you wouldn't be saying Petrucci-like.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline brakkum

• DT.net Member
  • Bass Boy
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2009, 12:29:24 PM »

well if you want to be a reliable musician somewhere down the road i suggest you get to know them now. and the ones stated above (church modes) are just the tip of the iceberg. its better to learn them now rather than have someone ask if you know them later on and jus say "erm.. i never got around to those" then they most likely will think you never bothered to take music seriously.

/tangent

in the end scales and how the sound together are the key to making a great and memorable solo, period. pentatonic scales as i mentioned earlier are key to also getting into that neighborhood.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2009, 07:20:39 PM »

well if you want to be a reliable musician somewhere down the road i suggest you get to know them now. and the ones stated above (church modes) are just the tip of the iceberg. its better to learn them now rather than have someone ask if you know them later on and jus say "erm.. i never got around to those" then they most likely will think you never bothered to take music seriously.

/tangent

in the end scales and how the sound together are the key to making a great and memorable solo, period. pentatonic scales as i mentioned earlier are key to also getting into that neighborhood.
Also. Pentatonics tend to lead to "playing on a box." Learning all the modes lets you branch out more in your solos.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline brakkum

• DT.net Member
  • Bass Boy
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2009, 08:54:49 PM »

/tangent

Also. Pentatonics tend to lead to "playing on a box." Learning all the modes lets you branch out more in your solos.

yep. i concentrated heavily on pentatonics when i started learning scales around 6 years ago, now i get stuck in them constantly. though they are helpful for finding great ways to launch yourself into improvisation.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2009, 09:07:08 PM »
Eh, modes again.  :\

The "trick" about writing a guitar-sounding solo is to think in strings. That is, as a guitarist you're writing stuff that is playable on the strings. As an example, playing a succession of fourths is really hard to play because it comes down to either moving the same finger really fast from one string to the next, or trying to roll off the finger, but that often doesn't give you good separation of the notes.
So, you won't get many fourths in a guitar solo. In stark contrast, perfect fifths and minor sixths => guitarists love them. Makes it easy to finger.
Also very easy to play: Same note, over and over. Hard to play on piano, easiest thing in the world on guitar.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."