Author Topic: 425's Third Roulette v. Fell and rose and tried...  (Read 32642 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: 425's Third Roulette v. Round 2 Impressions Part 2
« Reply #315 on: September 30, 2019, 08:14:17 AM »
Though I may send Round Three today or tomorrow because I'm traveling the rest of the week...

Thank you. That's how it should be.

And don't apologize for your picture.

I think 425 just turned to 426 since the last round. ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline romdrums

Re: 425's Third Roulette v. Round 2 Impressions Part 2
« Reply #316 on: October 01, 2019, 02:19:14 PM »
 :corn
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt

Offline 425

Re: 425's Third Roulette v. Round 2 Pre-Results
« Reply #318 on: October 01, 2019, 06:32:03 PM »
I'm working on the writeups as we speak. Here are the pre-result rankings, although I'll give advance warning that some of these are very close and might change in the process of me listening to the songs one more time to write about them.

Cyril:
1. Billie Eilish - when the party’s over
2. Amendfoil - Skyline Escape

Elite:
1. The Ocean - Hadopelagic II: Let Them Believe
2. Ancestors - The Warm Glow

Evermind:
1. Karmakanic - Who’s the Boss in the Factory
2. Lords of Black - Ghosts of You

jingle.boy:
1. Circus Maximus - Glory of the Empire
2. Triumph - Fight the Good Fight

Kattelox:
1. Twilight Force - Flight of the Sapphire Dragon
2. Tom Waits - I Hope That I Don’t Fall In Love With You

Lethean:
1. Perihelion Ship - New Sun?
2. Agent Fresco - See Hell

Nekov:
1. The Contortionist - Clairvoyant
2. Cyril - Get Up High

Puppies_On_Acid:
1. Paatos - Tea
2. Breaking Orbit - When Isis Starts to Cry

romdrums:
1. Bjørk - Joga
2. DGM - Ghosts of Insanity

Sacul:
1. Talk Talk - Living in Another World
2. The Cardigans - Explode

Stadler:
1. Rainbow - Stargazer
2. Deep Purple - Not Responsible

TAC:
1. Anabasis - Terminal
2. Daydream XI - Watch Me Rise

Tomislav95:
1. Soen - Lotus
2. Maybeshewill - He Films the Clouds Pt. 2
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 07:09:42 PM by 425 »
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #319 on: October 01, 2019, 07:00:35 PM »
Can you bold the current round's songs?  :corn
I mean anyways I'm getting at least an 8.5 from the looks of it

I relistened to the EP I made for this roulette and it's probably like? my 4th favorite EP of all the ones I've done?

1. home's EP from like 2016
2. Elite's V3 EP I won the roulette with
3. 425 EP from last roulette
4. This one
5. Uhh I dunno either the one from Puppies' first roulette or Tomi's first roulette those are both still pretty good

so sorry but every song on my new EP is actually move systems & it's not as good as my last one

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #320 on: October 01, 2019, 07:12:25 PM »
Cyril:
1. Billie Eilish - when the party’s over >= 8.5
2. Amendfoil - Skyline Escape - 8.5

Elite:
1. The Ocean - Hadopelagic II: Let Them Believe - 8.5
2. Ancestors - The Warm Glow <= 8.5

Evermind:
1. Karmakanic - Who’s the Boss in the Factory >= 8.5
2. Lords of Black - Ghosts of You - 8.5

jingle.boy:
1. Circus Maximus - Glory of the Empire - 9
2. Triumph - Fight the Good Fight >= 9

Kattelox:
1. Twilight Force - Flight of the Sapphire Dragon >= 7.5
2. Tom Waits - I Hope That I Don’t Fall In Love With You - 7.5

Lethean:
1. Perihelion Ship - New Sun? >= 8
2. Agent Fresco - See Hell - 8

Nekov:
1. The Contortionist - Clairvoyant >= 8
2. Cyril - Get Up High - 8

Puppies_On_Acid:
1. Paatos - Tea >= 7
2. Breaking Orbit - When Isis Starts to Cry - 7

romdrums:
1. Bjørk - Joga - 8
2. DGM - Ghosts of Insanity <= 8

Sacul:
1. Talk Talk - Living in Another World >= 8
2. The Cardigans - Explode - 8

Stadler:
1. Rainbow - Stargazer  >= 7
2. Deep Purple - Not Responsible - 7

TAC:
1. Anabasis - Terminal - 9
2. Daydream XI - Watch Me Rise - <= 9

Tomislav95:
1. Soen - Lotus - 9
2. Maybeshewill - He Films the Clouds Pt. 2 <= 9

based on this I predict that everyone got 8.5 except romdrums, who got 8

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #321 on: October 01, 2019, 07:14:17 PM »
OK, everyone send Cyril your Round 3 songs now!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline 425

Re: 425's Third Roulette v. Round 2 RESULTS (finally The Slow Host delivers)
« Reply #322 on: October 01, 2019, 08:47:42 PM »
based on this I predict that everyone got 8.5 except romdrums, who got 8

Basically. Look, I could protest that it's a strong round, but my reputation is pretty much set in stone by now, isn't it?

Stadler: Rainbow - Stargazer

Impression: This song has such gravitas. There’s just this sense of authority on this song, where it feels like excellence just comes to it automatically.

I feel like people are going to accuse you of cheating on this one. It’s just one of those classics that I’ve somehow missed through the years, despite being quite familiar with a lot of RJD’s other classic albums.

Big mistake by me, I guess!

There are certain songs, most of them certified classics, where I just get a certain kind of feeling from them, which I’ve tried to capture in the word “gravitas.” If I could put it into a longer statement, I’d put it this way: It’s like the song comes right into the room and insists upon its own greatness, without having to trumpet it. These songs just announce themselves with such authority, and make it seem effortless. It almost feels like the band just sat down and rattled off a great song like it was nothing, like the song wrote itself, because everything is in just the right place.

Well, this is one of those songs. I don’t think there’s much I can say about it that hasn’t already been said, so I’ll just say that this is obviously one of the great singers and one of the great guitarists in rock both at the top of their game, backed with a strong rhythm section, performing a song that is both elegantly composed and full of rock-and-roll energy.

Score: 9.5 out of 10

Evermind: Karmakanic - Who’s the Boss in the Factory

Impression: I have to say, this song might be edging toward the danger zone in terms of lyrical content, and I’m not loving the vocals on first listen. But I find do the music itself quite strong overall.

You have no idea how close you came to Roger Waters - It’s a Miracling yourself again. And I will still say that I do not like the lyrics of this song. Without getting into P/R territory, I’ll just say that this sort of heavy-handed political commentary, from this sort of worldview, is probably something to be wary of sending me.

The saving grace here for you is that this song is very strong musically. The instrumental parts are excellent. There’s a lot going on that’s going to take more listens for me to sort of break down to the point where I’d be able to speak intelligently on it, but I’ll just generally say that the sense of melody and structure is really strong here, and the work being done by the keyboard player in particular is quite memorable indeed. Musically speaking, it’s definitely the kind of prog composition that I like a whole lot.

The factor that helps ultimately overcome the lyrics thing is the fact that I came around on the vocals, too. Now, I wouldn’t say that I rate this way up there in terms of vocal performance, but there’s something about the melodies and even the unconventional vocal style that complements the music pretty well. Also, the song is primarily instrumental, anyway, so its weaker foot is definitely not the foot that it’s putting forward.

Score: 9.0 out of 10.

Tomislav95: Maybeshewill - He Films the Clouds Pt. 2

Impression: This is a style that has typically not done much for me in the past, with some exceptions. This may end up being somewhat of an exception, in part because of its pretty liberal willingness to blend in elements of styles of music.

Sending post rock to me is really dangerous. I like it very occasionally and in very small doses, but usually I just don’t find it all that interesting. The buildups are typically too slow and repetitive for me, and it doesn’t help that the songs are often instrumental.

This particular risk paid off, precisely because, as I said, it’s not just straightforward post rock. There are, as you pointed out in your PM, some interesting beats (plus some distorted guitar!), that I think do make the admittedly somewhat repetitive beginning part more engaging.

But where things really get good is at about the midway point, where things take a sharp turn and we move away from the post rock instrumental segment of the song to the really enchanting piano piece section of the song. Because I find this vocal part truly wonderful. This is just such an uplifting-sounding section, performed so well by first a single singer and then a chorus. And then the piano and guitar outro is also a very well-done section.

This song is not flawless. I do find the first section a bit too repetitive for my taste. But the vocal section is so, so, so strong—my favorite single section of any song this round—that it still winds up one of the top performers of the round.

Score: 9.0 out of 10.

Puppies_On_Acid: Paatos - Téa

Impression: I like how this song has a subtle complexity that sort of unfolds slowly over its runtime. It doesn’t end how I expect based on the start, but the transform is so fluid that I don’t even notice it’s happening.

What the impression says. This is a song that feels like it’s going to be simple, and then it is so very much not that, in a way I haven’t really heard in anything else. It kind of fascinates me in that regard. What seems like it’s more or less just a straightforward ballad-type song reliant on a strong atmosphere and vocal performance really has a lot more going on under the surface, most of which I do not feel at all qualified to even try writing about.

What I will say is that I am a fan of the atmosphere and vocal performance, and I am also very much a fan of the drum work that seems to fluidly shift around to create a number of different vibes on this one. And of the wonderful melodic keyboard playing that comes in, especially in the second half of the song.

Definitely interested in hearing more from this artist. They have an interesting and different sound that I found pretty fascinating.

Score: 8.5 out of 10.

Cyril: Billie Eilish - when the party’s over

Impression: In this style of music, it’s really important to me to feel like the artist has something distinct to say that isn’t sort of the same generic thing that everyone else in the genre is doing. Despite some surface similarities to other artists I’ve heard, this song definitely passes that test.

Yeah, so the impression was my way of slightly disguising the following statement: She reminds me of Lorde, but she doesn’t sound like a copy, so that’s a win where I’m concerned.

To say a little more: I like pop singers who feel like they have a distinct message, where I get the sense that I’m really hearing the genuine thoughts and feelings of the singer and not something that’s sort of mass produced and labeled “for anyone with vocal talent and the right image.” I get that feeling very strongly with her on this song.

Besides that personal element, this is just a wonderfully well-done song. I love this sort of minimalist synth sound. It really complements her voice quite well. And her vocal performance here is masterful, really demonstrating a lot of range and emotion. There’s sort of a feeling about this song that reminds me of a gothic cathedral. I don’t know exactly what gives me that sense, but I like it.

Will definitely have to hear more from her.

Sacul: Talk Talk - Living in Another World

Impression: I definitely did not expect to like this one very much at all, but I actually think I might be into it. A big risk that I think will at least turn out to be a decent success.

I don’t know how to describe this style of music, but it’s not really a style of music that I would have said I was very interested in at all.

This song has changed that. It’s going to be hard for me to describe, but there’s just something about it that I really like a lot, and that has opened my mind to the potential of hearing more like this. Or maybe more than one something. I really like the passion of the singer. I feel like this type of music can often have a song who sounds sort of robotic and cold, but this guy really belts it out and conveys some real passion. I’m also a fan of the work being done by the rhythm section here, which is not something I tend to notice very often, but here stands out for sure. And the harmonica… works? Really well?

I like this song quite well. Good job turning me around on a style of music I wouldn’t have otherwise given another look!

Lethean: Perihelion Ship - New Sun?

Impression: This song seems to be trying a lot of different things stylistically, and I’ll be trying to see if on further listens it manages to come together and sound like a coherent thing, or too disjointed.

So one consideration when deciding what to send me is that you have to weigh the following competing considerations: (1) sending an epic is likely to make the slowest roulette host on DTF even slower, and (2) a prog epic of a certain quality is probably the safest submission there is, actually.

I don’t know exactly what it is about a good epic, but I’m just wild about songs that take their time and work things out over 10 or 15 minutes, so long as they make the most of that time. By that I mean, compelling melodies, multiple sections that flow well from one to the other with sense of progression, and finally a strong conclusion that brings the song to a strong sense of completion.

Well, this one definitely meets the mark on two out of three of those. There’s a lot of good melodic guitar work in the first half of its runtime. In doing a quick internet search on this artist, I saw some Opeth comparisons, and while I don’t think this sounds, like, a ton like Opeth, I do think that the riffing in the first half is somewhat reminiscent of a happier version of the type of riffing that Opeth is doing on a song like Blackwater Park. Which is a good thing. I also think that the turn to a quieter section, and transition back out of it that takes place in the second half of the song is pretty strong. Some more nice guitarwork, and a good spot use of growling. I will say that the vocal performance on this song is generally pretty unremarkable, but the melodies are strong enough that the middling quality of the performance itself doesn’t really detract.

The miss in this particular epic is not the melody or the flow, but the conclusion. There’s a lot of good buildup in the second half of this track, and the first growled part is a solid payoff… but from there it sort of seems to just keep building up until it more or less just cuts off with no real outro, no grand finale to speak of. It makes the thing feel somewhat unfulfilling in the end, and I wish there was something better at the end to tie the whole thing together.

Still, a strong epic that definitely makes me want to hear more from the artist. And maybe I’ll warm up to the finale a little bit on future listens.

And if spirit's a sign,

Offline 425

« Reply #323 on: October 01, 2019, 08:47:50 PM »
jingle.boy: Triumph - Fight the Good Fight

Impression: Huh, this one was definitely a surprise. A style of music that rarely captures my attention, with some real substance and great melodies that, for whatever reason, do appeal to me.

So, as various members keep discovering with Deep Purple submissions, the 70s/80s style of hard rock is very much hit-or-miss with me, but usually miss. And in spite of your comparison of Triumph to Rush, I found on first blush with this one that I was worried it would be another typical song of that style that just wouldn’t connect at all.

That was not the case. This is a really strong song that connects with me to a much greater degree than even other strong representatives of this style. Part of that may in fact be as simple as the fact that I like the lyrics and connect with their message pretty strong. But to chalk it up to that would be to sell short the other strengths of this song, in particular the guitarwork, the transitions between heavy and soft sections, and the excellent melodic chorus.

I’m not going to proclaim this song a new top favorite, but it’s a very strong song that I enjoy quite a bit.

Score: 8.0 out of 10.

TAC: Daydream XI - Watch Me Rise

Impression: I like the energy level right out of the gates, and the keyboard work on this song a lot. It’s kind of similar in my head to another song this round, but I think I like it better out of the two.

Just to get it out of the way: The song that feels similar to this one for me is the DGM song. They both kind of got filed early on as “melodic prog-power,” and it wound up being inevitable that I made comparisons between them. Fortunately for you, Daydream XI came off favorably in that comparison. I think this song does a pretty good job of maintaining a strong melodic sense even while going through some pretty fast power metal sections, which is an important obstacle for any sort of power metal to overcome with me.

In particular, I am a fan of the keyboard work on here. As I mentioned in my Circus Maximus writeup last time, I like when there is some substantive lead keyboard work, and the keyboard leads in this song are pretty solid. Overall, the instrumental sections here are pretty strong, which is another point of contrast to the DGM song.

I don’t quite know what impression convinced you that I didn’t like this song, but that’s not the case. True, this isn’t going to land nearly as high as your last song, which was wonderful, but I do enjoy this one and am definitely interested in hearing more from the artist.

Kattelox: Twilight Force - Flight of the Sapphire Dragon

Impression: There’s a level on which I respect the sheer boldness of this band for making this (and this participant for sending it). There’s also a level on which I respect how well-done this actually is. Then there’s a level on which I’m not sure to what extent this is something I like.

Truth be told, I’m surprised you didn’t immediately recognize this impression as yours. Because this song is very much one very particular thing pushed to the maximum degree… and that particular thing was something I’d already sort of meh’d last time when you send Rhapsody of Fire.

This song just maxes out on happy symphonic metal, with a heavy emphasis on the “symphonic” part and the “metal” part in small letters. With also fantasy lyrics about dragons and magic and destiny. Now, the thing about this, is that I think it does this very well. The melodies are quite strong, the symphonic parts are pretty well-composed, the song moves from one part to another like it’s telling a story…

The question is, is this for me? Because part of why I find this such a bold submission is that I think this would very much not for a lot of people. And that’s how I felt about it the first couple of times I heard it. After letting it settle in, to the point where I’m not jarred by the style, I really am starting to warm up to it. This is still probably not the kind of thing I would listen to all the time, but I’m now starting to get interested in hearing what a whole album of this would look like. That’s because these guys did this thing right, and produced a compelling song in a style where I think it can be difficult to do that and easy to phone it in and just write some fluff.

To be more specific, and not just sort of make general comments, what is holding me back in my enthusiasm for this one? When it comes to symphonic metal, I can be a bit fussy about the balance between low end and high end. To me, the style works best when the symphonics are complemented by a nice, thick guitar sound in the low end—the ideal example might be Nightwish’s Imaginaerum album. The guitar is a little light on this one, which gives it sort of an airy feel that’s a fluffier than I would like. The other thing is that I’m generally a little bit jaded about fantasy lyrics, and the lyrics here are, as best as I can tell, well onto the cheesy side. It helps that the vocal melodies are very strong, though.

I have to admit, this is the song I had the most trouble evaluating this round. After taking some time with it, my overall verdict is: I'm on the verge of being sold on this. Not quite there, maybe. But you can at the very least count me interested.

Nekov: The Contortionist - Clairvoyant

Impression: I really like the riffs here, but the vocals are kind of not doing a lot for me, which can be an obstacle for me to getting into something.

To more or less recapitulate the impression: I am quite impressed by a lot of the guitarwork on this song. There’s some nice riffing that manages to be pretty rhythmically interesting while maintaining a sense of melody. There’s sort of a djenty element at play here that avoids a lot of the traps that djent can easily fall into, and it’s nicely blended with elements of more traditional prog metal that keep it well away from the monotony of djent proper.

So, I really like the guitars and would like to hear more of this guitarist. The other side of the coin is the vocal parts, which, unfortunately, I really just find pretty uninspiring here. There really aren’t any particularly strong vocal melodies, and the use of several different vocal styles here doesn’t really seem to add anything? I mean, I like a blend of styles when it’s done well, but here it’s sort of three different styles, none of which stand out as being particularly strong, and no particularly strong clarity as to why the style keeps switching?

I don’t know, I don’t hate the vocals, they’re generally pretty inoffensive, but what typically gives a song staying power to me is strong melodies that I catch onto and remember. Those don’t have to be vocal melodies, of course, but as much as I like the guitarwork here, it doesn’t really feel like it’s written to be the memorable melodic lead of the song. So this winds up as a song that I like listening to, and that makes me at least interested in hearing more from the guitarist, but it doesn’t break through mainly because of a just-there vocal performance.

Score: 7.5 out of 10.

Elite: Ancestors - The Warm Glow

Impression: I really don’t know yet. This style of music is a huge risk with me, in part because it just naturally lends itself to a mood that I’m usually very much not interested in. On the one hand, there are definitely some melodies on here that I’m interested in, but there are going to be some obstacles to my enjoy this one, too.

Yeah, so you knew this was a risky send, I knew this was a risky listen, we both knew to not know what to expect, going in.

Doom metal is not a genre that, on paper, seems very compatible with me at all. I don’t like depressing music, I’m still sort of one-foot-in-one-foot-out on harsh vocals, I don’t have any particular love for atmospheric music, etc. I want to put that out there first so that I can be clear on how I genuinely liked this more than I sort of expected to. It was more melodic than I thought it was going to be, and a lot of the melodies stuck with me pretty well. I also like the way the first half of the song seems in a way to keep building bigger and bigger like a huge wave (if that description makes any sense). Although I will say that some of the more chaotic elements of that buildup were not my favorite.

One thing that did not help you here was that I could make out enough of the lyrics to get uneasy with them, and look up the rest. Not a fan of the violent imagery here, and wish that this song had different lyrics so that I could listen to it without those images in my head.

On the whole, I found this song really interesting and well-done. I enjoyed listening to it, especially when I was not thinking about the lyrics. I don’t think, however, that I would want to listen to it very much, or seek out a lot more music in this style.

Score: 7.0 out of 10.

romdrums: DGM - Ghosts of Insanity

Impression: This is definitely a solid track that stylistically ought to be right down my alley, but I worry that in terms of songwriting quality, it might be just solid and nothing more.

There are features of this song that I definitely like. Generally, I enjoy this sort of melodic approach to prog metal, especially when it doesn’t just sit in a single tempo or on a single riff. There are some solid melodies, particularly on the chorus. I could see myself liking this artist.

But overall, this song just hasn’t really grown into anything that I find to be more than solid when I listen to it. The chorus is good, but it feels like it comes up one too many times, and there’s not really enough that I’m really grabbing onto in the other parts of the song.

This is the kind of song that I feel like I would be much happier with if I was hearing it in a context where it was the 4th or 5th best track on an album. But taken on its own, there’s not enough that stands out.

Score: 7.0 out of 10.

Standings:
Tomislav95 - 18.0
Evermind - 17.5
Cyril - 17.0
jingle.boy - 17.0
TAC - 17.0
Lethean - 16.5
Sacul - 16.5
Stadler - 16.5
Elite - 15.5
Kattelox - 15.5
Nekov - 15.5
Puppies_On_Acid - 15.5
romdrums - 15.0

I guess Round 3 is actually the last round before the EP, so at some point soon I'm going to have to let you all know about a plan for eliminations. I'm sort of toying on the outside of my mind with the idea of taking EPs from everyone while finding a way to stagger it out so that the results at least come out in a steady stream, but I'm not sure if I'm actually going to be able to do that.

What I will say is that at the very least the top 6 will be safe. Since there's only a 1.5 point gap between last place and #6, this is still very much in play for everyone.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #324 on: October 01, 2019, 09:07:46 PM »
3 points between first and last  :metal

hopefully i can get another 8.5 and hold my spot near the top, i kinda doubt you'll utterly hate what i've sent this round but

also a lot of the billie eilish album is uhh. very weird and not lorde-ish but i only like the more low key songs on it almost exclusively lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #325 on: October 01, 2019, 09:15:17 PM »
The song I initially sent you before quickly changing to Sapphire Dragon was the 10 minute epic from that same album, and it features Fabio Lione from Rhapsody. I was hoping the sophistication of the orchestral side of the band and the sheer musical talent would be appealing to you despite the lyrical themes, so I think to some extent I at least succeeded there. Although the epic still might've been a better pick.

EDIT: Sent something... wicked.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 09:23:22 PM by Kattelox »
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #326 on: October 01, 2019, 10:07:24 PM »
I totally forgot about your aversion to political lyrics.  :lol Should've probably sent Send a Message from the Heart in that case, but anyway, glad that worked out for me.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #327 on: October 01, 2019, 11:25:21 PM »
Can't believe I got beat by Maybeshewill.... oh well.

I'll find something to send soon. :natalieportman:

aww, M83 is banned  :sadpanda:
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 11:31:58 PM by Puppies_On_Acid »
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Lethean

« Reply #328 on: October 01, 2019, 11:41:08 PM »

So one consideration when deciding what to send me is that you have to weigh the following competing considerations: (1) sending an epic is likely to make the slowest roulette host on DTF even slower, and (2) a prog epic of a certain quality is probably the safest submission there is, actually.
:lol  I'm not in a hurry.  Sends Light of Day, Day of Darkness

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #330 on: October 02, 2019, 12:31:24 AM »
my fault  :corn
I was about to send something from Saturdays=Youth.

Aaaaaannnnd sent something that will probably get me eliminated  :bosky:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #331 on: October 02, 2019, 05:32:36 AM »
 :sad:
It's a shame you couldn't enjoy the vocals because that whole album is really good, just not your cup of tea apparently. SEnt for round 3 already.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline romdrums

« Reply #332 on: October 02, 2019, 07:20:38 AM »
Sent for Round Three.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #333 on: October 02, 2019, 07:22:43 AM »
Can't believe I got beat by Maybeshewill.... oh well.

I'll find something to send soon. :natalieportman:

maybeshewill is good, bro. I would've sent To The Skies From A Hillside but can't knock him for sending TFTC either.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #334 on: October 02, 2019, 01:28:05 PM »
1. home's EP from like 2016
2. Elite's V3 EP I won the roulette with
3. 425 EP from last roulette
4. This one
5. Uhh I dunno either the one from Puppies' first roulette or Tomi's first roulette those are both still pretty good

I burned this one to a CD when I got it and still listen to it from time to time! :)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #335 on: October 02, 2019, 04:34:43 PM »
TAC: Daydream XI - Watch Me Rise

Impression: I like the energy level right out of the gates, and the keyboard work on this song a lot. It’s kind of similar in my head to another song this round, but I think I like it better out of the two.

Just to get it out of the way: The song that feels similar to this one for me is the DGM song. They both kind of got filed early on as “melodic prog-power,” and it wound up being inevitable that I made comparisons between them. Fortunately for you, Daydream XI came off favorably in that comparison. I think this song does a pretty good job of maintaining a strong melodic sense even while going through some pretty fast power metal sections, which is an important obstacle for any sort of power metal to overcome with me.

In particular, I am a fan of the keyboard work on here. As I mentioned in my Circus Maximus writeup last time, I like when there is some substantive lead keyboard work, and the keyboard leads in this song are pretty solid. Overall, the instrumental sections here are pretty strong, which is another point of contrast to the DGM song.

I don’t quite know what impression convinced you that I didn’t like this song, but that’s not the case. True, this isn’t going to land nearly as high as your last song, which was wonderful, but I do enjoy this one and am definitely interested in hearing more from the artist.

It was this one:

I have to say, this song might be edging toward the danger zone in terms of lyrical content, and I’m not loving the vocals on first listen. But I find do the music itself quite strong overall.

There's a line in the chorus that says, "Get down on your knees, and watch me rise.". I thought you might've been referring to that line when you mentioned lyrical content. Plus, the vocals are a real strong point, so if you don't like Russ Allen or Dio, you may not like him.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #336 on: October 02, 2019, 04:38:41 PM »
I guess Round 3 is actually the last round before the EP, so at some point soon I'm going to have to let you all know about a plan for eliminations. I'm sort of toying on the outside of my mind with the idea of taking EPs from everyone while finding a way to stagger it out so that the results at least come out in a steady stream, but I'm not sure if I'm actually going to be able to do that.

Dude, they're two week rounds as it is! :lol

Offline 425

« Reply #337 on: October 03, 2019, 07:02:55 AM »
First round was a neat 1 week! But I'm leaning heavily toward not doing that, anyway.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #338 on: October 03, 2019, 09:02:29 AM »
Great! Yeah I wasn't much into that kind of music until I listened to that Talk Talk record, it's really a beautiful and fun one. And I agree, the harmonica is wonderful (that same guy played on the last SW album). Have fun digging into it :D

Will send for next round soon.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #339 on: October 03, 2019, 10:29:03 AM »
Forgot to send yesterday, you'll get my song in a few hours.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #340 on: October 03, 2019, 10:31:43 AM »
I am already dying for results pls

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #341 on: October 03, 2019, 10:49:26 AM »
Sent! Went for a somewhat risky song this time, hopefully it pays off.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #342 on: October 03, 2019, 10:58:58 AM »
Dacul send already we need more hang
I think my song this round is longer than my last two songs combined, or it's at least close

Offline 425

« Reply #343 on: October 03, 2019, 11:20:20 AM »
Also waiting on Elite and Tomi though.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #344 on: October 03, 2019, 11:23:33 AM »
Yeah Dacul and Elite are always being waited on no shock there :neverusethis:

Results were only yesterday anyways I'm just eager to get this thing moving cause I also get to start my roulette when this goes to the final round  :corn

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #345 on: October 03, 2019, 12:45:46 PM »
Also waiting on Elite and Tomi though.
Sorry, I've been moving these days so I wasn't on my laptop. Sending today.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #346 on: October 03, 2019, 09:10:10 PM »
Sent

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #347 on: October 07, 2019, 04:30:40 AM »
:crypt:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #348 on: October 07, 2019, 06:23:08 AM »
RIP 425, his brains were blown everywhere by my awesome song

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #349 on: October 07, 2019, 06:25:51 AM »
Well, he did admit he is the slowest host ever  :lol
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants.