Author Topic: 425's Third Roulette v. Fell and rose and tried...  (Read 32459 times)

Offline 425

425's Third Roulette v. Fell and rose and tried...
« on: September 04, 2019, 11:13:45 AM »
Hello all! It’s been about a year since I ran my v2, and I’ve been feeling like another roulette for a good few weeks now, so with my current work schedule allowing me more time to listen to music than I’ve had in the past, there was every reason to take the plunge again and none not to.

This roulette will be shorter than the typical DTF roulette. I’ve found, when doing an 8 or 9 round roulette, that I start to get fatigued in the later rounds. As a result, the rounds start to take longer and longer, which causes frustration and tension. So, to avoid that unpleasantness, I’m just going to shorten things up in this and most likely all roulettes I run in the future.

The format will be straightforward: three open rounds and an EP round (standard EP rules: 40 minutes, substantial material from at least 3 artists). I don’t think I’m going to do any gimmicks or anything in this one. I tried some experiments last time, which mostly did not really work, so I figure it’s best to just keep it simple this time around.

There will be no limitations on song length. If you want to send that 20-minute epic, send that 20-minute epic. I love ‘em, so the more the merrier. Just with the caveat that obviously a long, complex song might not fully sink in as quickly as a shorter one, and I’m not going to allocate extra listens to a song on account of length.

As for participants: Last time I had 18, which I think might be the most a roulette has ever had. Honestly, I had a blast with such a huge field, and would be happy to have just as many again. So there will be no cap on the number of participants, but I will cut the field for the EP round so as to keep that manageable. I don’t know exactly how many will make the EP round—I’ll make that determination once I know the number of total participants—but I don’t really envision it being more than 6.

I've gone ahead and listed everybody who has already said they wanted in. Let me know if I missed you.

I prefer Spotify links for submissions, but I’m happy to accept YouTube links as well if necessary.

Tastes:
First off, here are the links to the previous three roulettes I’ve either run or been a judge in:

Roulette v1
2016 Roulette Championship
Roulette v2

I will warn you in advance that the only one of these I would actually suggest using as a guide to my current tastes is the v2. My preferences have changed a lot since the other two, and looking back at those, there is a lot that I would score differently if it was in front of me today.

The v2 roulette is probably a better guide to my tastes than any writeup I could give, so I’ll keep the rest of this brief.

Right now, I am probably more receptive than I have ever been to two genres: Modern prog metal and neo-prog rock. This might make this roulette a little more promising of an opportunity to people whose tastes have jarred with mine in the past—and on the other hand might make things less favorable to others I’ve gelled with better before.

I am also more receptive than I have ever been to growled vocals. I am still not a person who likes growls, per se, but I am more likely than I’ve ever been before to either let them go right by me or enjoy them in limited capacity, so long as I like the music.

What I look for in music is melody and emotion. I like grandiose music, and I like music that takes itself seriously, to the point where music with a strong comedic element is at a significant disadvantage with me.

In terms of mood, music that is very depressing or bleak will tend to be hit-or-miss at best. I can appreciate it, but it’s not my preferred mode. Here I’m thinking particularly of artists like Steven Wilson, who, to me, frequently convey a mood of hopelessness or despair. Typically I will only listen to music with this emotional quality in small doses.

Lyrics can matter to me. I don’t look up the lyrics to every roulette song, but I make no promises that I won’t look them up in a particular case, and of course I might just hear them and react. In terms of lyrics, it will be to a song’s disadvantage if the lyrics come across as unserious—party-type lyrics, needlessly sexual lyrics, and comedy lyrics would fall into this camp. Word salad Jon-Anderson-type lyrics are no problem so long as they’re played straight. I also very much do not like lyrics that are nihilistic or morbid, so I would suggest caution there as well.

I think that’s about all I want to say off the top, but I’m happy to answer any questions about tastes in-thread.

Rounds:
Round 1: Open
Round 2: Open
Round 3: Open
Round 4: EP Round

Participants:
Evermind
Cyril
Puppies_On_Acid
Sacul
Kattelox
TAC
jingle.boy
Stadler
romdrums
Elite
Tomislav95
Nekov
Lethean

Banned Artists:
Here is where I’m going to be more restrictive than last time around. I’m primarily interested in hearing new artists that I have not heard before, rather than giving second and third listens to artists that I’m on the fence about or are on my list to check out from previous roulettes.

Therefore, in addition to the artists in my library, every artist that I awarded at least a 7.5 out of 10 in my v2 or the Championship, or at least an 8 out of 10 in my v1 (I was a more generous scorer in that roulette), is banned entirely. This allows a genuine second chance for poorer scoring artists, while ensuring that people mostly have to send stuff I haven’t heard before.

For purposes of convenience, I’m linking to my master spreadsheet of roulette submissions. To find out if an artist is banned, just do a ctrl-F search of the spreadsheet. If the cell is color-coded green, the artist is eligible for resubmission. If it’s white, they’re banned.

Banned from roulette spreadsheet

Here’s the list of artists in my library. These are artists from whom I own at least one album. By no means should you take their presence on this list to indicate that they are favorites, just that they are banned. I’ve bolded ones that I would consider favorites.

Amorphis
Anathema
Anderson/Stolt
Avantasia (all banned, but favorite status mainly applies to the last three albums)
Ayreon
Beach House
Beyond the Bridge
Black Sabbath
Blaze Bayley
Bon Iver
Bruce Dickinson
Bruce Hornsby and the Range
Coheed and Cambria
Coldplay
David Maxim Micic
The Dear Hunter
Death Cab for Cutie
Dio
Dire Straits
Dream the Electric Sheep
Dream Theater
Epica
Florence + The Machine
The Flower Kings
Flying Colors
The Gentle Storm
God is an Astronaut
Green Carnation
Haken
Headspace
iamthemorning
Imagine Dragons
Iron Maiden
IQ
John Petrucci & Jordan Rudess (solo material from either of these individually is not banned)
Journey
Judas Priest
Kamelot
King Crimson
Led Zeppelin
Liquid Tension Experiment
Lorde
Markéta Irglová
Meat Loaf
Megadeth
Metallica
Neal Morse
The Neal Morse Band
Nightwish
Opeth
Pink Floyd
Porcupine Tree
Pure Reason Revolution
Queensrÿche
Radiohead
Redemption
Rush
Seventh Wonder
Sigur Rós
Spock’s Beard
Steve Harris
Steven Wilson
Sufjan Stevens
Sunburst
Susanne Sundfør
Symphony X
Taylor Swift
Tesseract
Thank You Scientist
Thrice
Transatlantic
Tuomas Holopainen
Vanden Plas
Voices from the Fuselage
The Who
Yes

Let's get rocking!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 07:57:30 PM by 425 »
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: 425's Third Roulette v. Time for a Quickie
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2019, 11:27:35 AM »
I won't be at DTF at all for the next week (and also the weekend after that) due to travelling, but I'm in, expect something soon from me, probably tomorrow. Got some ideas already.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2019, 11:28:03 AM »
I'm going to send exclusively songs under 3 minutes, including for my EP

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2019, 11:30:15 AM »
I'll play, if you'll have me. 

Offline 425

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2019, 12:46:52 PM »
Happy to, Stads! Looking forward to hear some more classics that I've missed.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline romdrums

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2019, 12:49:06 PM »
I'm in.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline 425

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2019, 01:04:39 PM »
Awesome. Gotta have my defending champion!
And if spirit's a sign,

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2019, 01:29:39 PM »
I made it to EP round last time, so I suppose I should have a go again!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2019, 02:15:19 PM »
….Sent!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline romdrums

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2019, 02:46:53 PM »
Sent.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2019, 03:57:01 PM »
I'm in, will send soon :metal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2019, 03:59:00 PM »
I've never heard anyone refer to Friday as "soon".
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2019, 04:20:17 PM »
Sent
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2019, 08:31:57 PM »
sent first three rounds 'cause i'm like that

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2019, 08:34:35 PM »
You didn't send your EP, slacker?

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2019, 08:35:25 PM »
i'm putting it together tonight, i'll send it later

i know you asked this in jest but you should've expected this response

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2019, 08:39:38 PM »
 :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2019, 11:50:06 PM »
so i spent a few hours making an EP and even tho all the songs on it are great the overall product is eeehhhhHHH and i don't think 425 will like it much either, meh  :lol
if i even get to the EP round maybe i'll make something else, if not it'll just be what i send after i get cut as a bonus, dunno

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2019, 01:25:11 AM »
so i spent a few hours making an EP and even tho all the songs on it are great the overall product is eeehhhhHHH and i don't think 425 will like it much either, meh  :lol
if i even get to the EP round maybe i'll make something else, if not it'll just be what i send after i get cut as a bonus, dunno
My EP is going to be WILD!
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2019, 01:39:33 AM »
okay reordered literally every song except the last one on my EP and now it's good & SENT :metardica:

here's the new order compared to the original order, for what it doesn't matter:

I won't win with this EP but I do enjoy it more than most EPs I've made. it's not the super flawless fantastic EP I sent last roulette though, which is nigh-unbeatable from my point of view. the only EP I've ever made that I like more is the one I made for home's first roulette, I think, and even then it's super close
puppies your challenge is to make an EP heavier than mine; 6 out of the 7 songs on mine have growls

also on the subject of shorter roulettes I kinda have in mind what I want to do for my next roulette and the intent of it is gonna be to run 8 rounds with 8 players as fast as i can, with ranked rounds and a matrix of optional themes & probably really crappy writeups compared to my usual but i'm already generally the exception to the rule anyways when it comes to writeups so w/e y'all can deal
excited for this one to be over in like a month though

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2019, 08:20:57 AM »
I have three playlists of 'Top 111 Songs' - one is what I genuinely believe to be the top rock songs of all time; one is my list of personal favorites of all time, and one is my personal favorites from 2000 forward.  Think I'll just pick the highest ranking band/song that isn't banned from each, and go with that as my round 1-3 submissions.

Sending shortly.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2019, 09:43:25 AM »
I've never heard anyone refer to Friday as "soon".
Indeed, that's why I just sent. Will prob keep going with pop and electronic stuff for the rest of the roulette.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2019, 10:53:53 AM »
I'll be honest I don't think I'll have time to send a song until Sunday what with the banned list etc. ProgPower is taking over my life atm.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2019, 10:54:05 AM »
Sent!

I'll be honest I don't think I'll have time to send a song until Sunday what with the banned list etc. ProgPower is taking over my life atm.

Yeah, I wonder how the ProgPower folks are going to manage it. I don't think I'll have any time to send anything next week during that Ayreon shows thing. Hopefully it's going great for you guys, I wish to visit ProgPower one day. Given how it's only like five festivals left, I'd better hurry up.

Offline 425

« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2019, 11:46:06 AM »
Don't worry about it, Katt, take your time. I'll make Monday the informal deadline for people to sign up and submit round 1. Don't want to take anyone away from ProgPower, or lose out on any festivalgoers who want to play.

Participant count is currently at 10, which is a fine number, but I'd be more than happy to add to that!
And if spirit's a sign,

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: 425's Third Roulette v. Still accepting participants until 9/9!
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2019, 11:57:34 AM »
By the way, 425 has just confirmed that I cockblocked myself by playing stuff from Arch/Matheos - Winter Ethereal in plug. :facepalm:

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2019, 12:26:36 PM »
By the way, 425 has just confirmed that I cockblocked myself by playing stuff from Arch/Matheos - Winter Ethereal in plug. :facepalm:

:rollin :rollin
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline 425

« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2019, 02:08:09 PM »
Evermind's run of spectacular luck in my roulettes continues... :lol
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2019, 12:38:13 PM »
gonna take the lack of response to my PMs to mean that 425 is fine with everything i sent  :corn
anyways 9/9 is when the celeste chapter 9 DLC releases so y'all won't see me for a while but it's okay because i already sent everything for this one anyways

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2019, 01:11:12 PM »
Fuck it, I'm in! :metal
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline 425

« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2019, 02:11:06 PM »
gonna take the lack of response to my PMs to mean that 425 is fine with everything i sent  :corn

Yeah, sorry, forgot to send over a reply. Your entries are all good.

Great to have you, Tomislav! Looking forward to seeing what you have to send.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2019, 02:23:27 PM »
Thanks for the invite 425. I was going to skip this since I didn't know if I would have enough material, but given it is a short one I might as well give it a try.
Will send you something soon
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline 425

« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2019, 03:10:51 PM »
I understand that. That's why I rarely play in roulettes: I don't have nearly as much material as others on this forum, plus almost everything I have, I got from DTF... mostly from frequent roulette players. But I'm glad you're giving it a go, because I was really into a lot of what you sent. In particular, I'm spending some time right now going into all the various projects you sent me in the John Mitchell EP, which was a really cool theme.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2019, 03:48:31 PM »
 :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Sent
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2019, 04:36:49 PM »
The Light and Shade of Grey is banned, I checked :P
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...