Author Topic: Top 20 Albums That Shaped My Taste In Music  (Read 2564 times)

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Top 20 Albums That Shaped My Taste In Music
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2021, 09:41:05 AM »
I will be doing this when I can.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2021, 10:46:34 AM »
Rush - A Farewell To Kings
Rush - Moving Pictures
Queensr˙che - Operation: Mindcrime
Iron Maiden : The Number of the Beast
Kiss : Unmasked
TNT : Knights of the New Thunder
Metallica : Ride The Lightning
Mercyful Fate : Don't Break The Oath
Marillion : Brave
Dream Theater : Images And Words
Black Sabbath : Sabotage
Judas Priest : Defenders of the Faith
King Crimson : Red
Deep Purple : In Rock
Pink Floyd : The Wall
Accept : Restless And Wild
Dio : Holy Diver
Megadeth : Peace Sells ... But Who's Buying?
King Diamond : Fatal Portrait
Helloween : Walls of Jericho

Damn you have a lot of great and interesting albums. You should post more often!

Restless And Wild :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2021, 10:49:33 AM »
At one point or another each of these groups were my favorite band.  These are still my favorites today and while I do explore new music all the time, it's very rare that I find a group that qualifies to be added to this list.  Starting in 1976 at the ripe old age of 12 I got my first record player for my bedroom and my parents also gave me the first three albums on this list for Christmas that year. 

If I am fortunate enough to have some of you buy my group's next album, or if you've heard our debut you can probably pick up on the influences of these groups in the music I write, especially Iron Maiden (guitars) Dream Theater (song structure) and Spock's Beard (vocal melodies).  Anyway, here's the list - these are the albums that shaped my taste in music.

1976 - Judas Priest - Sad Wings of Destiny
1976 - Rush - 2112
1976 - Kansas - Leftoverture
1977 - Foreigner - s/t
1977 - Styx - The Grand Illusion
1981 - Triumph - Allied Forces
1982 - Iron Maiden - Number of The Beast
1983 - Saxon - Power and the Glory
1987 - Savatage - Hall of the Mountain King
1988 - Queensryche - Operation: Mindcrime
1992 - Dream Theater - Images & Words
2000 - Spock's Beard - V
2000 - Transatlantic - SMTPe (tie with Spock's Beard)
2000 - The Flower Kings -Space Revolver 
2000 - Symphony X - V: The New Mythology Suite
2001 - Avantasia - The Metal Opera
2005 - Redemption - The Fullness of Time
2005 - Opeth - Ghost Reveries
2012 - Hourglass - The Journey Into
2013 - Kamelot - The Black Halo
]   Nice list Kirk
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2021, 11:09:11 AM »
I put some thought into this and explained how each record affected me.  Many of them were introductions to something - a period of a band, a subgenere of metal, or a genre of music.  I kept it to one album per band as well to diversify the list.

1.   Styx – Caught in the Act / Live
This was part of my parent’s record collection.  My brother and I used to listen to the single, “Music Time” and created a dance to it when we were young.  This was my introduction to rock music.

2.   Metallica – The Black Album
I heard Enter Sandman in 1992 and it blew my mind.  My true introduction to heavy metal.

3.   Black Sabbath – Paranoid
Rock and Roll Racing was a NES game that had 8-bit versions of classic rock songs.  Paranoid caught my ear and I loved the catchiness of the song. 

4.   Led Zeppelin – IV
I had a 7th grade music class in 1993, where the teacher took us through a history of rock and roll (Elvis, The Beatles, Led Zeppelin).  It was a really cool class and I was introduced to this album and more classic rock music, instilling a deep appreciation and respect for the artists covered in the class. 

5.   Megadeth – Countdown to Extinction
I discovered this around the same time as the previous 3 albums, learning of the connection of the band to Metallica and Mustaine’s amazing songwriting.

6.   Iron Maiden – Fear of the Dark
I checked this out from the library when I was in high school and discovered the band.  I eventually got Best of the Beast, heard their classic material and was off and running as a giant Maiden fan.

7.   Slayer – Season in the Abyss
A long-hair in my computer class in high school saw my Metallica/Megadeth logos on my notebooks and let me borrow this, leading me further down the path of heavier and heavier music. 

8.   Radakka – Malice & Tranquillity
A local Chicago scene band, they were signed to Century Media in 1995 and released two excellent albums.  This one landed in my lap, as my dad knew the guitarist through his day job.  The
album opened my eyes to melodic metal, with phenomenal singing and hard-hitting riffs and melodies.

9.   Pantera – Cowboys from Hell
I discovered this in the used bin at a local record shop and it blew my mind.  They were flying the flag when nobody else was in the mid-90’s.

10.   Iced Earth – Something Wicked This Way Comes
The album came out several months after I discovered the band and I LOVED the sound, the vocals, the riffs and the songs.  This catapulted them into becoming my favorite band.  I pretty much only listened to Iced Earth for the last half of 1998.

11.   Queensryche – Operation: Mindcrime
Empire was my exposure to the band, but one night in college, this album clicked and sent me on a ten-year obsession with the band.  They’ll never top this one, and it remains a desert island disc, even if I rarely listen to it now.

12.   Dream Theater – Images and Words.
DT were introduced to me by a college roommate, who was an exchange student from Mexico.  I took a chance on this in the used bin and I’m glad I did.  Another desert island disc.

13.   Stratovarius – Visions
My introduction to European power metal.  Amazing musicianship and vocals.  I still love this album.  Bands like Blind Guardian and Helloween eventually followed as I discovered a whole new continent full of metal.

14.   In Flames – The Jester Race
I always loved how heavy death metal was, but the vocals would grate on me.  I took a chance on this record (which I bought from an S&M/goth store on my college campus).  The melody in the music caught me off-guard.  It was heavy, but very catchy, with some acoustic guitar mixed in.  I loved it, and the growled vocals became something that I started to enjoy.  This album finally created a path for me to enjoy death metal and eventually black metal.

15.   Nightwish – Oceanborn
Heavy metal with females singing?  I was amazed by their talent and by Tarja’s vocals.  Another eye-opening record, showing me that girls can be part of the club too. 

16.    Control Denied – The Fragile Art of Existence
Just before I got into In Flames, this album came out.  I loved the idea of a death metal guy (Chuck Schuldiner) putting out a full-on power metal album.  About 10 years later, I bought The Sound of Perseverance, which is musically just liked this album, but with Chuck’s Death vocals and became a MASSIVE fan of Chuck and Death.

17.   Candlemass – King of the Grey Islands
I never paid attention to doom metal until I heard some songs from this album, with Robert Lowe singing.  I loved the album and it again opened a door to another band and subgenre of metal.

18.   Black Sabbath – Heaven and Hell
I was an Ozzy-or-die Sabbath fan for a very long time.  I heard a song from this album a couple of years before they reunited with Dio and quickly learned that the Dio-era is my favorite period of the band.

19.   Death Angel – The Dream Calls for Blood
I’ve always loved thrash, but stuck to the bigger bands.  This album showed me that there are a lot of lower-tiered bands that can thrash like maniacs and reignited my enjoyment of that genre.

20.   Kenny Chesney – No Shirt, No Shoes, No Problems
An outlier in the list.  In the early 2000’s, my mom told me to listen to “Young,” a song by Kenny Chesney.  She said it was a perfect song for me.  The lyrics revolved around Kenny Chesney’s high school days, wearing “rock and roll t-shirts with bad attitudes.”  It was a description of me!   The song got me listening to country radio, where I began to enjoy the music, realizing that it’s still guitar-based, with lyrics that were based in real life and with a lot of humor.  The song broke my long-time hatred of country music and I respected it for what it was, also eventually learning that a lot of the musicians in the bands behind the artists were big metal fans as well.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 11:40:20 AM by Grappler »

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2021, 11:21:43 AM »
Thinking about this, there's one oddity. The single most impactful event that ever happened to me in terms of music--you know, that moment when you realize that you feel something that others don't feel--is when my Uncle in Seattle slapped a pair of headphones on me from his high-end system and set the needle down on Riders On The Storm. I was 11. Everything changed in that moment and yet I don't own a single Doors album. That seems wrong. I'm going to buy their discography .

Now that you mention this, it occurs to me that I forgot to mention Aerosmith because their first 5 or 6 albums were in regular rotation in my cassette deck in the 66 Volkswagon Beetle I was driving by around 1980/81 timeframe.  Joe Perry was never a flashy or highly technical player but he has a unique style all his own that is quite recognizable. 

I probably owe an honorable mention to Led Zeppelin II as well.  But I never really connected with too much more of their catalog, which is why I didn't put them on the list.

Same with AC/DC - I loved Back in Black and I also had a live album of theirs "If You Want Blood" and loved them, but never ended up getting further into them.

Still, they both cemented my general preference of distorted electric guitar-centric music.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2021, 11:22:44 AM »
I put some thought into this and explained how each record affected me.  Many of them were introductions to something - a period of a band, a subgenere of metal, or a genre of music.  I kept it to one album per band as well to diversify the list.

1.   Styx – Caught in the Act / Live
This was part of my parent’s record collection.  My brother and I used to listen to the single, “Music Time” and created a dance to it when we were young.  This was my introduction to rock music.

2.   Metallica – The Black Album
I heard Enter Sandman in 1992 and it blew my mind.  My true introduction to heavy metal.

3.   Black Sabbath – Paranoid
Rock and Roll Racing was a NES game that had 8-bit versions of classic rock songs.  Paranoid caught my ear and I loved the catchiness of the song. 

4.   Led Zeppelin – IV
I had a 7th grade music class where the teacher took us through a history of rock and roll in 1993(Elvis, The Beatles, Led Zeppelin)

5.   Megadeth – Countdown to Extinction
I discovered this around the same time as the previous 3 albums, learning of the connection of the band to Metallica and Mustaine’s amazing songwriting.

6.   Iron Maiden – Fear of the Dark
I checked this out from the library when I was in high school and discovered the band.  I eventually got Best of the Beast, heard their classic material and was off and running as a giant Maiden fan.

7.   Slayer – Season in the Abyss
A long-hair in my computer class in high school saw my Metallica/Megadeth logos on my notebooks and let me borrow this, leading me further down the path of heavier and heavier music. 

8.   Radakka – Malice & Tranquillity
A local Chicago scene band, they were signed to Century Media in 1995 and released two excellent albums.  This one landed in my lap, as my dad knew the guitarist through his day job.  The
album opened my eyes to melodic metal, with phenomenal singing and hard-hitting riffs and melodies.

9.   Pantera – Cowboys from Hell
I discovered this in the used bin at a local record shop and it blew my mind.  They were flying the flag when nobody else was in the mid-90’s.

10.   Iced Earth – Something Wicked This Way Comes
The album came out several months after I discovered the band and I LOVED the sound, the vocals, the riffs and the songs.  This catapulted them into becoming my favorite band.  I pretty much only listened to Iced Earth for the last half of 1998.

11.   Queensryche – Operation: Mindcrime
Empire was my exposure to the band, but one night in college, this album clicked and sent me on a ten-year obsession with the band.  They’ll never top this one, and it remains a desert island disc, even if I rarely listen to it now.

12.   Dream Theater – Images and Words.
DT were introduced to me by a college roommate, who was an exchange student from Mexico.  I took a chance on this in the used bin and I’m glad I did.  Another desert island disc.

13.   Stratovarius – Visions
My introduction to European power metal.  Amazing musicianship and vocals.  I still love this album.  Bands like Blind Guardian and Helloween eventually followed as I discovered a whole new continent full of metal.

14.   In Flames – The Jester Race
I always loved how heavy death metal was, but the vocals would grate on me.  I took a chance on this record (which I bought from an S&M/goth store on my college campus).  The melody in the music caught me off-guard.  It was heavy, but very catchy, with some acoustic guitar mixed in.  I loved it, and the growled vocals became something that I started to enjoy.  This album finally created a path for me to enjoy death metal and eventually black metal.

15.   Nightwish – Oceanborn
Heavy metal with females singing?  I was amazed by their talent and by Tarja’s vocals.  Another eye-opening record, showing me that girls can be part of the club too. 

16.    Control Denied – The Fragile Art of Existence
Just before I got into In Flames, this album came out.  I loved the idea of a death metal guy (Chuck Schuldiner) putting out a full-on power metal album.  About 10 years later, I bought The Sound of Perseverance, which is musically just liked this album, but with Chuck’s Death vocals and became a MASSIVE fan of Chuck and Death.

17.   Candlemass – King of the Grey Islands
I never paid attention to doom metal until I heard some songs from this album, with Robert Lowe singing.  I loved the album and it again opened a door to another band and subgenre of metal.

18.   Black Sabbath – Heaven and Hell
I was an Ozzy-or-die Sabbath fan for a very long time.  I heard a song from this album a couple of years they reunited with Dio and quickly learned that the Dio-era is my favorite period of the band.

19.   Death Angel – The Dream Calls for Blood
I’ve always loved thrash, but stuck to the bigger bands.  This album showed me that there are a lot of lower-tiered bands that can thrash like maniacs and reignited my enjoyment of that genre.

20.   Kenny Chesney – No Shirt, No Shoes, No Problems
An outlier in the list.  In the early 2000’s, my mom told me to listen to “Young,” a song by Kenny Chesney.  She said it was a perfect song for me.  The lyrics revolved around Kenny Chesney’s high school days, wearing “rock and roll t-shirts with bad attitudes.”  It was a description of me!   The song got me listening to country radio, where I began to enjoy the music, realizing that it’s still guitar-based, with lyrics that were based in real life and with a lot of humor.  The song broke my long-time hated of country music and I respected it for what it was, also eventually learning that a lot of the musicians in the bands behind the artists were big metal fans as well.

This is awesome!  :tup

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2021, 12:05:38 PM »
Great topic Barry.  The ones on my list below aren't necessarily my favorites of that artist but these are the albums of that artist that got me started with them.

1) Barry Manilow - One Voice.  Yeah, I know.  But I still love Barry to this day.  It shaped my love of melody and performance.

2) Elton John - Two Low for Zero.  Continuation of Barry, but slightly heavier.  Still love this album.

3) The Beatles - 1962-1966 (The Red Album).  This was my starter for The Beatles.  I love all their stuff now but the early years took with me faster.

4) Styx - Paradise Theater.  Moving a little towards progressive.  Just a little.

5) Yes - 90125.  This was my gateway into progressive although it's so poppy, I didn't realize it.

6) Yes - Classic Yes.  Yes gets two.  I liked 90125 so much  I got Classic Yes.  Surprise, it was different.  Learned to love it though.

7) Jethro Tull - Aqualung.  Not sure if this directly shapes anything but a continuation of moving towards progressive.

8) Guns 'n Roses - Never much into hard rock/metal but the melodies and Axl's emotion moved me in that direction.

9) Queensryche - Empire.  Wasn't sure where to go to find "another GnR" but the track Empire sort of had that emotion so this was good.

10) Dream Theater - Images and Words.  By this time, internet boards had started and I heard Dream Theater was "like Styx".  I don't agree with that but I bought the CD and really liked it.

11) Angra - Holy Land.  Now I was starting to buy stuff based on Internet word of mouth.  This was a winner and had me move towards less known prog metal.

12) Viper - Soldiers of Sunrise.  Like Aqualung, not sure this moved the needle but it's still my favorite CD of all time.  RIP Andre.

13) Iron Maiden - Greatest Hits.  Maiden was at it's peak when I was in HS.  But I was listening to Elton John and Yes.  Reading interviews with DT, Angra, etc, they all talked about Maiden being one of their biggest influences.  So I got this.  Wasn't long until I sold it and ordered the discography.  This was a HUGE influence as it moved me towards to many melodic metal bands.

14) Arch Enemy - Doomsday Machine.  So I hated growls.  I went to an Iron Maiden show in 2004/5 and AE was opening.  I didn't like it but something about it keep pulling me back.  Eventually I came to love the track Nemesis and tried AE more.  Now the vocals don't bother me at all and I love AE.

15) Mors Principium Est - Dawn of the 5th Era.  Another that didn't truly move the needle but now that I loved Arch Enemy, when I head "I am the Sleep" I wanted to hear more.  "Seven", while a lousy name for an album, is my album of the year for 2020 and it's not close.

I will stop there.  So many others I love but probably didn't move the needle with regard to shaping my taste.  Barry Manilow to Mors Principium Est.  It's been a fun journey.  And, of course, I still love everything on this list.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 12:21:28 PM by BelichickFan »

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2021, 12:12:37 PM »
Barry Manilow fucking rules  :metal

King of the power ballad  :hat

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2021, 12:25:45 PM »
Not to make this about Barry, but is my favorite of his.  Lyrics are so awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJe6_DAbTxc

No One is What They Look Like
Everyone's So Much More
No One is What They Look Like
And We're Not What You See, That's for Sure

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2021, 03:53:29 PM »

King of the power ballad  :hat

My mum had a couple of Barry albums. His version of Read em And Weep was good.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2021, 04:21:59 PM »
My oldest son (special needs) loves Copacabana. Listens to it all the time. There were like 3 nights last week that my wife played Barry Manilow in the kitchen all night.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2021, 08:13:15 PM »
My family had Barry Manilow Live on cassette and Barry Manilow Greatest Hits on LP.  Some of those songs are just gold.   I loved the "Very Strange Medley" (the commercial jingles he wrote/helped write), and I still will seek out "Mandy" on occasion.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2021, 08:32:05 PM »
No way I can do a Top 20, but chronologically:

In the late 80s, I was listening to random stuff, from MTV, radio, what my parents listen to. When I heard songs off Def Leppard - Hysteria, and eventually bought the CD (my 1st "favorite album" and the 2nd CD I ever bought with my own money, everything I had enjoyed about rock music up till them all came together.

In the early 90s when my region was being engulfed by grunge, I heard:

Rush - 2112 (the song)
Pink Floyd - Delicate Sound of Thunder, and shortly thereafter, The Wall
Dream Theater - Images and Words.

Those four shaped my musical tastes for the next, damn, it's almost been 30 years!

Shortly thereafter, as I was delving in to classic rock: The Who - Maximum R&B (a 4 disc greatest hits collection).

Iron Maiden - Essential Iron Maiden (a greatest hits release after Dance of Death). Wow, metal didn't have to be all speed and thrash and crap like Metallica and Slayer!

Somewhere along the way I heard symphonic metal. I cannot pinpoint the time and place, I believe it was Nightwish, maybe Once, but cannot say for certain.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2021, 10:06:38 PM »
These are the albums that had the biggest impact of shaping my taste in music. These will be in order of the year when I first heard the album and/or when it actually had an impact on me.

Late 80's (not 100% sure): Journey - Escape -- Not exactly sure when I first heard this album. As far as I can tell, I've always known and loved it. This is the album that set me on my music journey (haha, get it?) when I was old enough to start seeking out music (mostly from my parents extensive collection) when I was about 4 or 5.
1991: Rush - Moving Pictures -- I found this CD in my parents collection and boy oh boy, I had no idea the ride I was in for. Imagine the proggiest stuff you have ever heard in your life was Journey and then putting this on.....This started my roughly 9 year obsession with Rush. They became my favorite band and still are to this day. Probably always will be.
1992: Alice in Chains - Dirt -- At the time I thought this was the heaviest stuff ever. I remember seeing a music video on MTV (remember when MTV still showed music videos? Pepperidge Farms remembers....) of Alice in Chains and it blew me away. I have an older cousin that had this album and let me listen to it. This was the only band I got into at the time that was even remotely considered Grunge. Never did get into Nirvana or Pearl Jam or Soundgarden (at least not until much later) at the time when Grunge was still a thing, but Alice in Chains really resonated with me.
1995: Def Leppard - Pyromania -- I grew up listening to Def Leppard quite a bit because my mom loved them, but I never really truly became a fan until I really listened to this album front to back. I remember this being the soundtrack to the times when I was playing the video game Descent (remember that game?). Good times.
1995: Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness -- Bought this album when it came out with my own money. I remember being fascinated by the fact the album took up 2 CD's. I'd never seen that before. Doesn't hurt that the album is filled with amazing songs.
1996: Dire Straits - Love Over Gold -- I first heard this album while on a road trip with my dad. He put this on and a variety of other albums for me to listen to on this road trip. This was the album that stuck out the most for me. Just the dynamics and the build up in Telegraph Road alone is goosebump inducing every time I hear it.
2000: Metallica - Ride the Lightning -- I'd heard Metallica here and there for years up to this point, but I borrowed this album from a friend in high school one day and was just blown away. This was my first true foray into Thrash Metal.
2001: Dream Theater - Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence -- This was my introduction to DT. My high school computer teacher recommended them to me based on out mutual love for Rush. Picked up this CD right after he told me about them and I was completely floored when The Glass Prison first kicked in. Been a fan ever since.
2002: Tool - Lateralus -- I was a little late to the Tool party. I had heard Schism on the radio tons of times prior to getting the album, and never really thought anything of it at the time. When I finally picked up the CD, mostly because it was on sale, it was basically a life-changing experience. This album is just so.....transcendent. It's now my 3rd favorite album of all time.
2003: Coheed and Cambria - In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth:3 -- A good friend of mine gave me this album, saying he didn't like it. Well, turns out, his loss! What a great album! Epic and catchy at the same time. Reminded me of Rush in a lot of ways.
2005: Porcupine Tree - Deadwing -- I picked up this album on a complete whim while browsing for new music in Best Buy one day (I think I was intrigued by the band name and album cover). I had no idea this band was an amazing prog band, let alone even existing up until this point. I very quickly bought every single album they had up to that point. And this band led me to the next band on the least by way of Steven Wilson.
2005: The Mars Volta - Frances the Mute -- Another album I picked up sort of on a whim. This girl I was dating at the time said she liked the song The Widow, so I decided to buy the album to give to her as a gift. I figured I'd listen to it first. Long story short, I kept the album. It would have been wasted on her anyway, besides we only dated for like a few months
2006: Opeth - Ghost Reveries -- This was the album that got me into harsh vocals. Up to this point in my life I couldn't stand them. Well something with this album and Mikael Akerfeldt just clicked with me and now I love harsh vocals in its many varieties. This led me down an Opeth hole for several months.
2006: Between the Buried and Me - Alaska -- I had started a new job in the summer of '06 and everyone I worked with were huge metal heads. They liked stuff like Pantera, God Forbid, Darkest Hour, and a little band called Between the Buried and Me. Once I heard the song Backwards Marathon I was hooked.
2006: Enslaved - Isa -- My first foray into any kind of Black Metal. I'd always thought Black Metal was just monotonous tremolo picking recorded in a bathroom, while screeching about Satan. How wrong I was. These guys are the epitome of Progressive Black Metal.
2007: Marillion - Marbles -- This is now my favorite album of all time. The full 2 CD version, mind you. It's a perfect mix of emotion, tension, melody, and hooks.
2007: Agalloch - Ashes Against the Grain -- So my first foray into some semblance of Atmospheric Black Metal. This album took quite a while to click. I literally fell asleep trying to listen to it the first few times, I was so bored. I have no idea why I kept coming back to it, but it finally just clicked. Or maybe I'm suffering from Stockholm Syndrome.
2007: Moonsorrow - Verisakeet -- So, my second favorite album of all time. This led me to seek out any other band that sounded even remotely like them. Sadly there are few bands that pull off Epic folk/black metal like these guys, but I still search to this day.
2009: Vektor - Black Future -- This band took Thrash metal and turned it on it's head. Seriously, this is some wild stuff, man.
2014: Casualties of Cool - Casualties of Cool -- An alt country album from Devin Townsend? What is the world coming to. Well, a round of applause to Hevy Devy for getting me to not only appreciate some other forms of country music, but even loving some of it (namely, this album). Still my favorite Devy album.

Seems the majority of my major musical discoveries and shaping took place in the 2000's, interesting!
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online HOF

« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2021, 11:07:42 PM »
So this list misses some bands/artists who have been among my favorites over the years. I’m generally going with albums that were sort of a doorway to a new musical world for me, something that changed the direction of my tastes significantly from what I had been into before. These are roughly chronological by order I got them (and not by release date obviously).   

1. Gin Blossoms - New Miserable Experience
2. Gary Hoey - Animal Instinct

- These are the first two albums I owned, both on cassette. They represent a lot of what I listened to for the first 15 years of my life or so. Basically a mix of 90s rock and classic rock (and I was really interested in instrumental guitar music at the time, so Hoey’s was one I really loved for a while. Oddly, I’ve never owned it on CD). I don’t listen to Gary Hoey much at all anymore, but I still really dig The Gin Blossoms, and NME is one of the best popular rock albums of the 90s IMO.

3. Dream Theater - Images & Words
4. Winger - Pull
5. Journey - Time 3 (cheating I know)

- These three all came into my life circa 1998, the year I got my first CD player and started buying actual CDs of my own, though I initially swiped Images & Words and Pull from my brothers’ collections. Journey on the other hand was my own thing, a band that nobody else my age knew or liked and that was just fine with me. This was the year I sort of started revolting against popular music (Dave Matthews Band and Counting Crows were two notable exceptions). Can’t say I’ve listened to much of anything current and popular since then. Dream Theater was the biggest thing for me that year, but I was also pretty heavily into hair metal too, and it was more the metal than prog thing that drew me to DT at that point. Mr. Big was another band I was really getting into that year, and Bump Ahead could have easily been on this list as well. I’ll throw a nod toward Van Halen III which came out this year and was a big part of that summer for me. 

6. Liquid Tension Experiment (I and II acquired at the same time)
7. Eric Johnson - Venus Isle
8. Kip Winger - Songs from the Ocean Floor
9. Rush - Retrospective II

- This is a group of CDs I picked up over my last couple years of high school that really started pushing me towards prog and away from metal/hair metal. You could include Falling Into Infiniti here, as that was the first album that made me realize I liked DT’s prog/classic rock side better than their metal side. King’s X’s self titled would be another one that could have fit in here. I do recall I was still into stuff like Dokken and Queensryche in this period. Retrospective II was the first thing I bought by Rush, and probably explains a lot of why the 80s are my favorite Rush period (it would actually be a while until I really got into Rush, in part because my next experience was 2112 which I HATED when I got it).

10. Transatlantic - SMPTE/Bridge Across Forever (acquired months apart)
11. Chroma Key - Dead Air for Radios
12. Marillion - Season’s End
13. Peter Gabriel - Up
14. Genesis - Foxtrot
15. XTC - Nonsuch

- These were some of the notable discoveries in my college years that expanded my pallet and really opened the door to the broader world of prog as well as whatever you call other more art rock type of stuff that wasn’t quite prog and definitely wasn’t metal. While I still listened to a lot of DT in college, those years were pretty much the last years of my interest in prog metal. I could have included several Spock’s Beard albums here, but the Transatlantic albums were my first introduction to Neal Morse and that style of prog, so they got the nod. Porcupine Tree and Enchant were two other bands I got into in this period. In Absentia could have been on the list here for sure. Season’s End was my introduction to Marillion while Foxtrot was my introduction to 70s Genesis. Those two aren’t necessarily my favorites by those bands, but they got the ball rolling for what have become two of my top three favorite bands (along with Rush).

16. King Crimson - Beat
17. Crowded House - Temple of Low Men
18. The Blue Nile - Hats
19. Talk Talk - The Colour of Spring
20. Big Big Train - English Electric (Full Power)

- This covers a swath of time from right after college, getting married, getting through grad school, and having kids. That all sort of slowed down some of my music buying and getting into new stuff. But once I finished grad school and started working, things picked backed up. This period started with me really getting into Rush, Genesis, and Marillion, as well as the Bellew era of King Crimson. But then there was a several year period that was kind of less about prog and more about some of the 80s and 90s stuff I’d missed. U2, Pearl Jam, Toad the Wet Sprocket were some other bands I got into for a while. Crowded House, The Blue Nile, and Talk Talk were interests that sort of grew out of my love for Marillion, as those three are Steve Hogarth favorites. Tears for Fears could have been on here too. Then when I got into Big Big Train I really started getting back into prog in a big way, especially the stuff from the 70s I hadn’t explored before (King Crimson, Camel, Yes, Steve Hackett), but also other current artists like Fernando Perdomo and The Flower Kings.

A couple bonus albums that are new enough to me that I’d need to revisit down the road but which almost made the list:

1. The Clientele - Music for the Age of Miracles
2. Sweet Billy Pilgrim - Motorcade Amnesiacs.

Those have become two of my favorite bands in a short time and are both largely outside the realm of prog, metal, or classic rock.

Online HOF

« Reply #50 on: January 06, 2021, 11:31:37 PM »
These are the albums that had the biggest impact of shaping my taste in music. These will be in order of the year when I first heard the album and/or when it actually had an impact on me.

Late 80's (not 100% sure): Journey - Escape -- Not exactly sure when I first heard this album. As far as I can tell, I've always known and loved it. This is the album that set me on my music journey (haha, get it?) when I was old enough to start seeking out music (mostly from my parents extensive collection) when I was about 4 or 5.
1991: Rush - Moving Pictures -- I found this CD in my parents collection and boy oh boy, I had no idea the ride I was in for. Imagine the proggiest stuff you have ever heard in your life was Journey and then putting this on.....This started my roughly 9 year obsession with Rush. They became my favorite band and still are to this day. Probably always will be.
1992: Alice in Chains - Dirt -- At the time I thought this was the heaviest stuff ever. I remember seeing a music video on MTV (remember when MTV still showed music videos? Pepperidge Farms remembers....) of Alice in Chains and it blew me away. I have an older cousin that had this album and let me listen to it. This was the only band I got into at the time that was even remotely considered Grunge. Never did get into Nirvana or Pearl Jam or Soundgarden (at least not until much later) at the time when Grunge was still a thing, but Alice in Chains really resonated with me.
1995: Def Leppard - Pyromania -- I grew up listening to Def Leppard quite a bit because my mom loved them, but I never really truly became a fan until I really listened to this album front to back. I remember this being the soundtrack to the times when I was playing the video game Descent (remember that game?). Good times.
1995: Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness -- Bought this album when it came out with my own money. I remember being fascinated by the fact the album took up 2 CD's. I'd never seen that before. Doesn't hurt that the album is filled with amazing songs.
1996: Dire Straits - Love Over Gold -- I first heard this album while on a road trip with my dad. He put this on and a variety of other albums for me to listen to on this road trip. This was the album that stuck out the most for me. Just the dynamics and the build up in Telegraph Road alone is goosebump inducing every time I hear it.
2000: Metallica - Ride the Lightning -- I'd heard Metallica here and there for years up to this point, but I borrowed this album from a friend in high school one day and was just blown away. This was my first true foray into Thrash Metal.
2001: Dream Theater - Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence -- This was my introduction to DT. My high school computer teacher recommended them to me based on out mutual love for Rush. Picked up this CD right after he told me about them and I was completely floored when The Glass Prison first kicked in. Been a fan ever since.
2002: Tool - Lateralus -- I was a little late to the Tool party. I had heard Schism on the radio tons of times prior to getting the album, and never really thought anything of it at the time. When I finally picked up the CD, mostly because it was on sale, it was basically a life-changing experience. This album is just so.....transcendent. It's now my 3rd favorite album of all time.
2003: Coheed and Cambria - In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth:3 -- A good friend of mine gave me this album, saying he didn't like it. Well, turns out, his loss! What a great album! Epic and catchy at the same time. Reminded me of Rush in a lot of ways.
2005: Porcupine Tree - Deadwing -- I picked up this album on a complete whim while browsing for new music in Best Buy one day (I think I was intrigued by the band name and album cover). I had no idea this band was an amazing prog band, let alone even existing up until this point. I very quickly bought every single album they had up to that point. And this band led me to the next band on the least by way of Steven Wilson.
2005: The Mars Volta - Frances the Mute -- Another album I picked up sort of on a whim. This girl I was dating at the time said she liked the song The Widow, so I decided to buy the album to give to her as a gift. I figured I'd listen to it first. Long story short, I kept the album. It would have been wasted on her anyway, besides we only dated for like a few months
2006: Opeth - Ghost Reveries -- This was the album that got me into harsh vocals. Up to this point in my life I couldn't stand them. Well something with this album and Mikael Akerfeldt just clicked with me and now I love harsh vocals in its many varieties. This led me down an Opeth hole for several months.
2006: Between the Buried and Me - Alaska -- I had started a new job in the summer of '06 and everyone I worked with were huge metal heads. They liked stuff like Pantera, God Forbid, Darkest Hour, and a little band called Between the Buried and Me. Once I heard the song Backwards Marathon I was hooked.
2006: Enslaved - Isa -- My first foray into any kind of Black Metal. I'd always thought Black Metal was just monotonous tremolo picking recorded in a bathroom, while screeching about Satan. How wrong I was. These guys are the epitome of Progressive Black Metal.
2007: Marillion - Marbles -- This is now my favorite album of all time. The full 2 CD version, mind you. It's a perfect mix of emotion, tension, melody, and hooks.
2007: Agalloch - Ashes Against the Grain -- So my first foray into some semblance of Atmospheric Black Metal. This album took quite a while to click. I literally fell asleep trying to listen to it the first few times, I was so bored. I have no idea why I kept coming back to it, but it finally just clicked. Or maybe I'm suffering from Stockholm Syndrome.
2007: Moonsorrow - Verisakeet -- So, my second favorite album of all time. This led me to seek out any other band that sounded even remotely like them. Sadly there are few bands that pull off Epic folk/black metal like these guys, but I still search to this day.
2009: Vektor - Black Future -- This band took Thrash metal and turned it on it's head. Seriously, this is some wild stuff, man.
2014: Casualties of Cool - Casualties of Cool -- An alt country album from Devin Townsend? What is the world coming to. Well, a round of applause to Hevy Devy for getting me to not only appreciate some other forms of country music, but even loving some of it (namely, this album). Still my favorite Devy album.

Seems the majority of my major musical discoveries and shaping took place in the 2000's, interesting!

Lot of really good stuff on this list. I’m amazed you were into Dream Theater but didn’t hear about Porcupine Tree until you bumped into Deadwing in a store!

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2021, 12:14:25 AM »
Yeah my musical discovery arc took a lot of strange turns. Until about 2007 or 2008 there were some surprising holes in my musical library.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2021, 06:59:47 AM »
My oldest son (special needs) loves Copacabana. Listens to it all the time. There were like 3 nights last week that my wife played Barry Manilow in the kitchen all night.

I had a co-worker who used o sing the same few lines from this so much I wanted to kill her, but it's a cool song. Did I just say that?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2021, 07:10:22 AM »
Anything you guys have actively grown out of?  Or actively grown into? 

I know for me, when I go back and revisit things I usually can remember exactly why I liked them to begin with. I'm not the hugest modern day Priest fan, but put on Stained Class, and I'm right back there.    I can't name anything that I actively dislike now that I liked back then.   The opposite though:  I HATED the Dead for years and years, and then one day they clicked, and now I have more Dead on my iPod than any other band by a factor of two (most of that is due to the Dave's Picks, which I've bought as a subscription since the second or third year, so I have I think 38 or 39 volumes of that, each one a dedicated live show).

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2021, 11:00:40 PM »
Anything you guys have actively grown out of?  Or actively grown into? 

I know for me, when I go back and revisit things I usually can remember exactly why I liked them to begin with. I'm not the hugest modern day Priest fan, but put on Stained Class, and I'm right back there.    I can't name anything that I actively dislike now that I liked back then.   The opposite though:  I HATED the Dead for years and years, and then one day they clicked, and now I have more Dead on my iPod than any other band by a factor of two (most of that is due to the Dave's Picks, which I've bought as a subscription since the second or third year, so I have I think 38 or 39 volumes of that, each one a dedicated live show).

Most of the bands like Korn, Slipknot, all the bands on Sirius XM Turbo station, I grew out of...I will still listen to them, but won't go out of my way to listen to them. I may go see them live, but it also depends on the line-up.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD