Author Topic: The Countdown Has Begun - European Tour Dates CONFIRMED!  (Read 12212 times)

Offline goo-goo

Re: The Countdown Has Begun
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2019, 03:57:59 PM »
Would you guys think MP would cause a stir if the band recorded this SFAM tour and release it? would you think it would be a smack in his face? I personally wouldn't care but I'm pretty sure MP will react someway or another.

???  Why would he?  He didn't write SFAM.  Why do you think he would care about that more than any other DT material?

I think SFAM was a very emotional album from everybody in Dream Theater (make or break record, problems with label, etc). He didn't write all of it, but he wrote some songs, produced the album with JP. I would think he would feel he is "being replaced" or being "re-recorded" in the album.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2019, 04:56:36 PM »
Would you guys think MP would cause a stir if the band recorded this SFAM tour and release it?

I suppose that depends on what "cause a stir" means.  If it means say something stupid/ill-advised via social media or an interview, then maybe, but I think it's equally as likely that he says something not stupid or benign or nothing at all.  Unless the separation agreement that I assume was signed after he left the band prohibits the band from doing such a thing (which I think would be REALLY weird), then he has no ability to anything beyond that.

would you think it would be a smack in his face?

No, and I don't know why folks constantly think or ask about MP being "smack[ed] in his face" every time the band does something with material he played on.

He didn't write all of it, but he wrote some songs, produced the album with JP.

Right, and then he chose to leave the band.

I would think he would feel he is "being replaced" or being "re-recorded" in the album.

If he were to think/feel that way (and I don't think he would), then he would be an immature cry-baby.  I'm honestly not sure what "'being replaced' or being 're-recorded' in the album" might mean, but nothing the band does now impacts what that was and who played on it.  It's not like they're having MM re-record all of the drum tracks and replacing MP's tracks and re-releasing the album (a la Blizzard of Ozz and Diary of a Madman).  If I'm counting correctly, Live at Luna Park contains 14 songs from the MP era, and Breaking the Fourth Wall contains 11 such songs (including 4 from SFAM).  Was that MP being "'being replaced' or being 're-recorded' in [those] albums"?  Should Kevin Moore feel that way about all the live releases containing songs from WDADU, I&W and Awake, and should Derek Sherinian feel that way about live releases of FII material and ACOS?

To be sure, MP made some petulantly childish comments in the couple years after he left the band, but I think he's demonstrated that he's well past that sort of nonsense by now.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2019, 07:22:07 PM »
Yeah, I don't think he would say anything. Sure, he still posts some passive-aggressive comments against DT every once in a while, like last week when he shared a clip of his Constant Motion drum cam from his "Sysdrumatic Chaos" DVD on Instagram with the caption "Shame I’m not allowed to sell my DT Drum cam DVDs anymore...". I mean, he might not be allowed to do so, but why does he have to bring it up every time he can? Just move on, man; but I don't think he'd complain about them releasing another live version of SFAM in full (really hoping they don't, though).
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2019, 11:39:51 PM »
Countdown to what?
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline jadiggerdt

« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2019, 12:40:35 AM »
Only europeen tour dates with citys

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2019, 02:35:15 AM »
Only europeen tour dates with citys

Has that been confirmed?

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2019, 04:39:33 AM »
I just hope it's not another SFAM live DVD. We have one.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2019, 05:21:58 AM »
I just hope it's not another SFAM live DVD. We have one.
(which is flawed IMHO. But yes, I might not want another one either. What my wish is is that they keep some D/T pieces in the live set for the DT15 tour, I'm thinking of PBD and Barstool right now.) Then again, I'll take a live release if it sounds ok and the notes are good. Back to the topic at hand though: The countdown ends at midday next Friday (which makes it 6:00 on a Friday morning New York time. What is it about the honour of God, Aunt Kate?)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2019, 08:38:08 AM »
It's the final countdown.

I mean, hopefully.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2019, 01:19:16 PM »
Christmas is September 13th this year, just so you know.

In seriousness though, counting down to things like this is pretty silly. It's like those bands who build up and countdown to the time you can pre-order an album. Just hurry up and announce the damn thing. Release Day is something worth counting down to, not this.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2019, 01:24:34 PM »
Since Live Scenes was released on Sept. 11 and it being the 20th anniversary of the album. I still say it's the full Live scenes show on Blu-Ray.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2019, 01:41:23 PM »
Since Live Scenes was released on Sept. 11 and it being the 20th anniversary of the album. I still say it's the full Live scenes show on Blu-Ray.
although the 20th anniversary of the proper show date is August 30th in 2020.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2019, 03:21:45 PM »

I can't conceive that they'd do a countdown for something as mundane as that.  Also, and while I don't completely understand what "Bandsintown" is, it seems like it has something to do with live shows, so it seems likely that the countdown has something to do with live shows.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Volante99

« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2019, 04:06:44 PM »

I can't conceive that they'd do a countdown for something as mundane as that.  Also, and while I don't completely understand what "Bandsintown" is, it seems like it has something to do with live shows, so it seems likely that the countdown has something to do with live shows.

I agree, most likely a tour related announcement. If it was a Blu-Ray they would have announced filming at a show and surely SOMEONE would have noted a big film crew?

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2019, 06:30:27 PM »

I agree, most likely a tour related announcement. If it was a Blu-Ray they would have announced filming at a show and surely SOMEONE would have noted a big film crew?

Not if they announce a filming of a  a European show, which could make sense since the last filmed shows have been in the USA and South America. If Neal Morse, which has a smaller audience compared with DT, can film his European shows, I'm pretty sure DT can if they decide too.

Offline Volante99

« Reply #50 on: September 07, 2019, 05:42:30 AM »

Not if they announce a filming of a  a European show, which could make sense since the last filmed shows have been in the USA and South America. If Neal Morse, which has a smaller audience compared with DT, can film his European shows, I'm pretty sure DT can if they decide too.

Not ruling out a live release for this tour BUT if they haven’t filmed yet that means a Blu-Ray is at least 8-12 months out, which seems like an odd thing to have a “countdown” for.

Offline jadiggerdt

« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2019, 06:39:36 AM »

2 days left. Believe they will announce the European Tour starting in February. Will be something like the last I&M tour

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #52 on: September 10, 2019, 07:46:56 AM »

2 days left. Believe they will announce the European Tour starting in February. Will be something like the last I&M tour
I would say most likely case scenario.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline alfachino

« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2019, 02:10:24 PM »
I bet they're announcing that they're splitting up.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #54 on: September 10, 2019, 03:18:06 PM »
After 8 years, this is your comeback post?

Nice.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #55 on: September 10, 2019, 03:57:15 PM »
After 8 years, this is your comeback post?

Nice.
John Cleese (or a bad impersonation of him) may have typed that if he were a DT fan :D (seriously, though, you're right Hef)

Offline gborland

« Reply #56 on: September 11, 2019, 01:57:43 AM »
Graham Borland

Offline jadiggerdt

« Reply #57 on: September 11, 2019, 01:57:55 AM »
Well time is up. Bring it on DT!!!!!!! :metal

Offline jadiggerdt

« Reply #58 on: September 11, 2019, 02:02:44 AM »
Wow like that. Starting in Amsterdam.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #59 on: September 11, 2019, 02:16:18 AM »
Phuck yeah, Milan date, 20 years later I finally get a chance to see the whole of SFAM live  :metal

"For those of you who were there when we premiered Scenes From A Memory live in Europe 20 years ago, this will not only be a trip down memory lane but also the chance to see it presented in a completely new light and the way it was always intended to be."

More than it was with how they performed it for Live Scenes from NY? I guess they're referring to a bigger production that back in the day they couldn't afford... I mean, they got some footage and live singers and actors and everything already.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline gborland

« Reply #60 on: September 11, 2019, 02:28:56 AM »
Fecking all-seated venue, grrr.  >:(
Graham Borland

Offline Mladen

« Reply #61 on: September 11, 2019, 03:02:24 AM »
Budapest, here I come.  :metal

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: September 11, 2019, 03:43:48 AM »
Aaaaand no Russian date, as expected.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #63 on: September 11, 2019, 04:49:36 AM »
By the time those dates come round, they should be "Celebrating 21 Years of Scenes From A Memory".

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: September 11, 2019, 04:54:34 AM »
Opeth at Cirkus in Stockholm on the 13th of January and then Dream Theater on the 14th and 15th of January..... also at Cirkus

Love it!!!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #65 on: September 11, 2019, 04:59:30 AM »
By the time those dates come round, they should be "Celebrating 21 Years of Scenes From A Memory".

20 years and three months, give or take the exact day  :biggrin:
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #66 on: September 11, 2019, 06:28:07 AM »
That Hammersmith date is going to sell out quickly. Might have to resort to the secondary market for that one...  :-\
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Lalin1974

« Reply #67 on: September 11, 2019, 07:09:50 AM »
Opeth at Cirkus in Stockholm on the 13th of January and then Dream Theater on the 14th and 15th of January..... also at Cirkus

Love it!!!

I wonder which of the 2 dates would be preferable. Can JLB perform well on a back to back? Or will he be better off after a rest day? I saw them in Gasklockorna 3 months ago and thought he did surprisingly well

Offline Rushfreek

« Reply #68 on: September 11, 2019, 08:48:30 AM »
Why only two UK dates.

Glasgow would take me about 10 hours drive. London will sell out in minutes?

Surely there must be more UK dates to come?

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #69 on: September 11, 2019, 10:07:17 AM »
Presumably their last UK dates didn't sell too well and the promoters aren't willing to take the chance.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."