Author Topic: The Countdown Has Begun - European Tour Dates CONFIRMED!  (Read 12284 times)

Offline krands85

Re: The Countdown Has Begun - European Tour Dates CONFIRMED!
« Reply #105 on: September 18, 2019, 05:40:10 AM »
I know it's boring complaining about the cost, but I was just looking back at the prices of previous DT shows I've been to.

I saw them at Rock City in Nottingham in 1993 and I think it was about £15.
Nice, bet that was a good show! Would love to have seen the band in that era, to see James in his prime especially.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #106 on: September 18, 2019, 06:02:52 AM »
Some of that can be explained by the recent crash of the pound. Back in 2012 we were at $1.60, now we're at $1.25, so the same amount in dollars costs us about 30% more in pounds. But yeah, that doesn't explain all of the difference. DT are trying to set themselves up for retirement.

Yeah doesn't sound too far from the truth to be honest.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #107 on: September 18, 2019, 08:40:49 AM »
Some of that can be explained by the recent crash of the pound. Back in 2012 we were at $1.60, now we're at $1.25, so the same amount in dollars costs us about 30% more in pounds. But yeah, that doesn't explain all of the difference. DT are trying to set themselves up for retirement.

I think Jordan has the higher risk of walking away from touring. The rest of the band maybe has 2-3 more album cycles unless they want to retire earlier than 65.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #108 on: September 18, 2019, 04:17:11 PM »

Do Dream Theater actually set the ticket prices though? Genuine question. I always assumed DT charge an amount for each show and then it’s up to the promoter who pays them to then sell tickets at whatever price he/she feels will make the most profit on their investment.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #109 on: September 18, 2019, 04:18:38 PM »

Do Dream Theater actually set the ticket prices though? Genuine question. I always assumed DT charge an amount for each show and then it’s up to the promoter who pays them to then sell tickets at whatever price he/she feels will make the most profit on their investment.

It's the promoter who sets the ticket prices. DT's fee probably has increased as the band got more popular so ticket prices do go up.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #110 on: September 19, 2019, 06:22:02 AM »
Well, DT will know how much their costs and overheads are, lighting, screens, travel, hotel and catering requirements, etc, so they have a bottom line on what they want per show.

The promoter is really only adding venue hire and their own costs and profit margin onto that.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #111 on: September 19, 2019, 06:59:12 AM »
Well, DT will know how much their costs and overheads are, lighting, screens, travel, hotel and catering requirements, etc, so they have a bottom line on what they want per show.

The promoter is really only adding venue hire and their own costs and profit margin onto that.

Although that is basically true, you are still missing a bunch of steps in between DT's own costs and the overall ticket prices.  There are lots of costs that the band and their entire team have no idea or control over.  And they don't necessarily know or keep track of how many tickets are likely to sell in a given market, which also impacts ticket prices.  In short, there are LOTS of variables after the band's guaranteed contract price for taking a gig that impact ticket prices.  The band's management team basically says, "We need X to play a gig in this market," and the promotion team in that market factors in all the different variables to come up with a venue that makes sense based on how many tickets they think they can sell, and then sets the ticket prices in an amount that will cover all costs.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #112 on: September 19, 2019, 08:30:41 AM »

Bosk, it's been too long since you teased us about the upcoming setlist. You should resume promptly! :)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #113 on: September 19, 2019, 08:36:50 AM »
Come on, man.  You know I can't say anything specific.  :)  I did think of a cute hint that I was considering dropping.  But the problem is, you guys are way too sharp for somebody to not figure it out pretty quickly.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #114 on: September 19, 2019, 09:29:00 AM »
The new leg of the tour starts in exactly one week, so it won't be too long untill we find out :biggrin:
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #115 on: September 19, 2019, 09:41:36 AM »
Very true.  I wonder whether the "new" set list will commence immediately, or if they will do the "old" version in those markets where they haven't played yet (I don't know the answer to that).  But even though the changes are relatively small, I think the new set will leave people in awe.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #116 on: September 19, 2019, 09:48:30 AM »
But even though the changes are relatively small, I think the new set will leave people in awe.

I see what you did there.  :hat
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #117 on: September 19, 2019, 09:49:57 AM »
Very true.  I wonder whether the "new" set list will commence immediately, or if they will do the "old" version in those markets where they haven't played yet (I don't know the answer to that).  But even though the changes are relatively small, I think the new set will leave people in awe.

:corn :o
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #118 on: September 19, 2019, 09:53:02 AM »
:lol  Wishful thinking.  If you are implying what I think you are implying about what you believe I implied, I think I have thoroughly addressed why that is a longshot for this tour as long as they are playing SFAM in its entirety.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #119 on: September 19, 2019, 10:01:29 AM »
:lol  Wishful thinking.  If you are implying what I think you are implying about what you believe I implied, I think I have thoroughly addressed why that is a longshot for this tour as long as they are playing SFAM in its entirety.

;)
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online geeeemo

« Reply #120 on: September 19, 2019, 12:50:39 PM »

Ooh, I hope they change it for all the venues....I saw the first leg 2x and now they are coming to my home town (yay!!)..so ya.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #121 on: September 24, 2019, 04:04:24 AM »
Second date added in London.... and  both will be filmed!

(Just in from DT's FB)
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!