Author Topic: The Countdown Has Begun - European Tour Dates CONFIRMED!  (Read 12218 times)

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 10:52:56 AM by MinistroRaven »

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
Re: The Countdown Has Begun
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2019, 06:51:53 PM »
 :justjen :corn
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2019, 07:16:08 PM »
Posted about this on the other thread, it has me intrigued. It's related to bandsintown so it probably has to do with touring, but the background art used is the same one as the Paralyzed single. Hmm...
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2019, 08:54:24 PM »
My bet is on European tour in January/February with the full SFAM production instead of the summer festival set.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2019, 06:03:31 AM »
I really hope so - they've really short-changed their European fans in recent years, both with a general lack of touring and playing some poor venue choices.

DT: We'll be playing in the UK in the summer!
UK fans:  ;D
DT: One festival show, doing a 30 minute set on the second stage at 3pm.
UK fans:  :'(
DT: But we'll be back in the fall!
UK fans:  ;D
DT: Playing one show in a hideous arena that resembles a cattle shed that most bands avoid like the plague because it's got terrible acoustics.
UK fans: Oh well, it could be worse. There's many countries where they don't play at all, we should be thankful for what we get.
DT: Tickets start at £75!
Ticketma$ter: And we'll at least double that!
UK fans:  :'( :'( :'(
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2019, 05:51:22 AM »
The only thing that justifies a countdown like this is news of new music.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2019, 06:09:45 AM »
That official Back to Budokan release? That would be nice, they need some new product on the shelves for Christmas...
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2019, 06:21:50 AM »
This seems like such odd timing, does it not?   

I feel like it's far too early to announce a new record, and there's almost nothing I can envision happening on a tour that justifies a week of promotional counting down. Then again, the site says "TRACK US ON BANDSINTOWN AND CRACK THE COUNTDOWN", so it's got to be tour related.   

« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 06:29:51 AM by Chino »

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2019, 07:21:19 AM »

I feel like it's far too early to announce a new record, and there's almost nothing I can envision happening on a tour that justifies a week of promotional counting down. Then again, the site says "TRACK US ON BANDSINTOWN AND CRACK THE COUNTDOWN", so it's got to be tour related.   

Pretty much. No need to overhype tour dates with a week-long countdown, unless it's a live album recording or something big like that.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2019, 07:41:40 AM »

Pretty much. No need to overhype tour dates with a week-long countdown, unless it's a live album recording or something big like that.

Yeah, I'm curious what this is. If it's just a tour announcement, the week-long countdown seems like overkill. A live album is the only announcement I can think of that makes sense at this point in their touring cycle.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2019, 07:45:04 AM »

Yeah, I'm curious what this is. If it's just a tour announcement, the week-long countdown seems like overkill. A live album is the only announcement I can think of that makes sense at this point in their touring cycle.

I'm going to be livid if we get a second live version of Scenes after The Astonishing got the shaft.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2019, 07:48:08 AM »
I'm going to be livid if we get a second live version of Scenes after The Astonishing got the shaft.

Well, prepare to be livid. That's what seems most likely to me.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2019, 08:49:02 AM »
A live release from this tour would only make sense without SFAM and with a more D/T focused setlist, imo. An Astonishing suite (playing a few songs back to back) would be a nice addition too. But there's definitely no need for another full live release of SFAM (and it is my favorite album).

Offline pg1067

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2019, 10:27:47 AM »
I wonder what "crack the countdown" means.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2019, 10:42:31 AM »
it Has to be some sort of special event
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online EPIC Outro

« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2019, 02:47:58 PM »

It's counting down to the opening of a Dream Theater themed escape room: "Trapped Inside *this* Octavarium."

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2019, 02:52:54 PM »

Not going to be livid, but it would be the first DVD/video that isn't an automatic buy upon release for me.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline pg1067

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2019, 03:39:17 PM »

Not going to be livid, but it would be the first DVD/video that isn't an automatic buy upon release for me.

Ditto (especially since the non-SFAM set was, IMO, just "meh").  Actually being "livid" would reflect an unwarranted entitlement to something.

Now...if JP invited MP to do a commentary track with him....   :biggrin:
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline gborland

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2019, 04:06:04 PM »

http://dreamtheater.net

:corn

Well, this was actually the first time I've visited dreamtheater.net in years. I think maybe it was the buildup to The Astonishing last time I was there.
Graham Borland

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2019, 04:46:01 PM »

No way. Commentary track with MM, MP, James, and Myung!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2019, 04:51:01 PM »
One Night Only. The Astonishing Live...to be recorded for a live album/Blue Ray 
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2019, 05:35:10 PM »

I am in for that! I will fly wherever.  :eek

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2019, 05:44:26 PM »

A man can dream...

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2019, 09:01:47 PM »

Ditto (especially since the non-SFAM set was, IMO, just "meh").  Actually being "livid" would reflect an unwarranted entitlement to something.

Please

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2019, 12:07:19 PM »

This would be amazing. Saw it twice. Wasn't a fan of the studio album but the live presentation kicked ass.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2019, 12:18:39 PM »

This would be amazing. Saw it twice. Wasn't a fan of the studio album but the live presentation kicked ass.

Yeah, that would be amazing, but I don't see it happening. If think if they were going to do that, they would have when touring the album.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2019, 12:29:24 PM »

The current stage could easily work for The Astonishing as well.

Online EPIC Outro

« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2019, 02:10:08 PM »

The Astonishing live with Orchestra and Choir - AND a special 1 hour encore of fan favorite DT tunes backed by orchestra and choir.

Offline Volante99

« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2019, 02:21:08 PM »

The Astonishing live with Orchestra and Choir - AND a special 1 hour encore of fan favorite DT tunes backed by orchestra and choir.

Ugh no. Seriously, ever since Metallica S&M, why does EVERY live release have to have an orchestra these days? I’ve been waiting 20 years for that gimmick to die.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2019, 02:28:25 PM »

Ugh no. Seriously, ever since Metallica S&M, why does EVERY live release have to have an orchestra these days? I’ve been waiting 20 years for that gimmick to die.

Well, "EVERY" live release doesn't.   But as for what is being discussed, an orchestra would make perfect sense for a live release of The Astonishing, since there is a TON of orchestration on that album. 

...if, hypothetically, that is what the countdown is about.  ;)  But I'll leave it to you all to reason through for yourselves whether that is likely at this point in time.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2019, 02:52:12 PM »
Would you guys think MP would cause a stir if the band recorded this SFAM tour and release it? would you think it would be a smack in his face? I personally wouldn't care but I'm pretty sure MP will react someway or another.

Offline Chris Hinton

« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2019, 03:01:32 PM »
Countdown to when they'll announce a Seattle date?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2019, 03:11:07 PM »
Would you guys think MP would cause a stir if the band recorded this SFAM tour and release it? would you think it would be a smack in his face? I personally wouldn't care but I'm pretty sure MP will react someway or another.

???  Why would he?  He didn't write SFAM.  Why do you think he would care about that more than any other DT material?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2019, 03:12:44 PM »

???  Why would he?  He didn't write SFAM.  Why do you think he would care about that more than any other DT material?

This.

Plus, he seems to be in a good place with Petrucci and Rudess again to where I doubt he'd say anything publicly to fracture the friendships that have been repaired.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2019, 03:34:51 PM »
Live at Scenes Blu-Ray with full video of 2nd set.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD