Author Topic: ariich’s roulette 5.0 – The End (again (the actual end this time (really)))  (Read 57210 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: ariich’s roulette 5.0 – Prelim results, part one (5 in, 3 out)
« Reply #245 on: August 31, 2019, 08:58:23 AM »
If I’m not safe, you won’t be safe either.

:lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #246 on: August 31, 2019, 09:02:42 AM »
Dragon, why do you cry? is still the best song I got in my lates roulette, sad to see TAC out because of it :/

Thanks Tomi. I thought it was definitely getting through this round, especially considering what did.. ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #247 on: August 31, 2019, 09:18:48 AM »
Am I the only old fogey left?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline v_clortho

• Keymaster of Gozer
  • King of DTF
« Reply #248 on: August 31, 2019, 09:39:43 AM »
I'm a fogey.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #249 on: August 31, 2019, 09:47:47 AM »
Am I the only old fogey left?

Tokenism
[ˈtōkəˌnizəm]

NOUN
the practice of making only a perfunctory or symbolic effort to do a particular thing, especially by recruiting a small number of people from underrepresented groups in order to give the appearance of sexual or racial equality within a workforce.
"the use of gay supporting characters is mere tokenism"
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #250 on: August 31, 2019, 09:48:58 AM »
I truly thought I was in the undecided category but I am happy to see you enjoyed the song. I didn't know you had a thing for Scottish accents and I don't think that I can appeal to that any further :lol. Hopefully you will enjoy the rest of the album just as much
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #251 on: August 31, 2019, 10:05:57 AM »
ah coulda been a contenda

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #252 on: August 31, 2019, 10:18:58 AM »
 :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #253 on: August 31, 2019, 10:56:05 AM »
For me, roulettes aren't about sending your favourite stuff, but instead trying to figure out what you think the host will like most.

Well, I'm 50/50 on that statement. I've approached roulettes both ways. I try and use roulettes mostly to get to know people through music.
It's not always about winning, but it's more about participating back and forth. It's one of the reasons I don't like elimination roulettes (not directing this at you Ariich). But once I'm out, I'm out.
Yeah for sure, I tried round-by-round elimination in my first album roulette but didn't really like it. The only reason I still have some form of elimination (prelim, and then in the latter stages) is to keep things manageable for me during album roulettes. I think if I was doing a song roulette, I've have as many participants as wanted to play, and keep them all in for the whole thing. Might do that at some point, but this prelim has shown me how hard I find it to rate and rank single songs.

For me, roulettes aren't about sending your favourite stuff, but instead trying to figure out what you think the host will like most.

Well, I'm 50/50 on that statement. I've approached roulettes both ways. I try and use roulettes mostly to get to know people through music.
It's not always about winning, but it's more about participating back and forth.

I too think it's 50/50.  I'd never send something that I didn't love, just on the hopes that it would match up with the hosts tastes.  For the way I play, it's an even blend of both.  And the having fun part too. 
Oh absolutely, when I participate in a roulette, my list of options is only artists that I've rated 4 stars or above. I just mean what I pick from that list I try and mostly tailor to the individual. Still doesn't always work though, of course.

Hell, if it was JUST about discovering new music, then the AI algorithms at Spotify, last.fm, YT, Apple can do just as good a job at recommending new music to try ... maybe even better.
I'm inclined to disagree quite strongly. I've tried those sorts of things and the hit rate has been lower than anyone who has participated in my last couple of roulettes.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #254 on: August 31, 2019, 12:00:32 PM »
Being annoyed with Spotify suggesting me things that I don't actually like is one of the reasons I started doing roulettes actually. It's weird. Sometimes they nail my 'favorite artists' and then they pick others that I have no interest in as 'favorites.' It's weird.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #255 on: August 31, 2019, 12:33:07 PM »

It's not always about winning, but it's more about participating back and forth. It's one of the reasons I don't like elimination roulettes (not directing this at you Ariich). But once I'm out, I'm out.

I'm with TAC:  first and foremost, it's the people.  Then it's sharing music that I like that I think maybe got overlooked or short-shifted to see if there is common ground. Yeah, the Cult is known as an "80's band", but if all you know is "Love Removal Machine", you don't know The Cult.   That album - Sonic Temple - has eleven songs and I think only one doesn't really measure up.   

I'm sure I could send stuff I don't know or don't like in order to curry favor, but that's not how I approach this (and my results prove that out, I'm sure!   :tup) but first and foremost it has to be a song/album that means something to me, to see if I can make a bridge.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #256 on: August 31, 2019, 01:02:40 PM »
I'm a fogey.

Never knew v.  How old are you?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline v_clortho

• Keymaster of Gozer
  • King of DTF
« Reply #258 on: August 31, 2019, 01:52:12 PM »
Turned 50 in May.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #259 on: August 31, 2019, 01:58:19 PM »
And don't forget, Katt survived and musically speaking he's basically a fogey too. :P

I think I might have made the final decisions, but god this is hard. I like too many of these songs too much and find it really hard to judge how much I might like the full albums. So hopefully results later this evening.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #260 on: August 31, 2019, 02:19:41 PM »

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #261 on: August 31, 2019, 02:28:29 PM »

I'm with TAC:  first and foremost, it's the people.  Then it's sharing music that I like that I think maybe got overlooked or short-shifted to see if there is common ground.
You know, I really like the way you both think about roulettes. I definitely value those aspects of roulettes, but I do also put a lot of focus on music discovery. Which does still feel the right priority for me and I'm loving this current roulette already, but your comments do make me think of some of things I might miss. I think I might design a future roulette to shift the focus, like a song roulette with no eliminations and just for fun and exploration, e.g. decade-specific rounds.

Right, decisions are made. Just need to do write ups and then will post results.

I be am boner inducing.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Prelim results, part 2 of 2
Part 1 here: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=54225.msg2580315#msg2580315

THE FINAL FIVE:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Luoto
Maraton – Blood Music (from Meta, 2019)

First impression: Immediately enjoyable, dark and energetic.

Final opinion: I didn’t put this in the safe category because, although I loved it on first listen, listens 2 and 3 I felt less sure. There have definitely been bands who play a sort of poppy hard rock with prog stylings where I’ve really liked them at first and then ended up finding their stuff too samey. As I’ve said before, I find it hard to make judgements based on a single song, but it was just something that made me hesitate. But ultimately, I can only go with how much I’m enjoying these songs, and so happy to say this quickly became safe. It’s got a great, dark vibe, and I dig the vocals. Look forward to hearing the album.

Survivor

Evermind
The Reticent – The Decision (from On the Eve of a Goodbye, 2016)

First impression: This is evidently from a concept album. I like it, but I'm not sure how well it works out of context.

Final opinion: I did like this a lot from my first listen, and I considered it likely to survive. I just found it hard to commit because both musically and lyrically it feels very much part of a narrative that I didn’t know, and so it took a bit longer to form a proper view on it. It’s a really solid song though - like if Opeth went rock-opera. The music is really good, and there seems to be a real emotional sincerity to the storytelling even though I only have a partial idea of what it’s about. The climax at the end is particularly immersive.

Survivor

Cyril
Actor | Observer – Dilettante (from Pareidolia, 2018)

First impression: Solid example of exactly the sort of thing I'd expect you to send. I do wonder if you've played it too safe here though.

Final opinion: Oh look, post-hardcore. I liked it right from the start, but it didn’t excite me initially as I wasn’t sure it was offering me anything special. It’s a definite grower though, the chorus in particular is really solid once I’d heard it a couple of times, and the atmospheric stuff in the second half of the song provides some really nice contrast in the dynamics. I’d also highlight the vocalist who may not have the most unique style but he delivers it really, really well and helps give the music the right amount of energy.

Survivor

Puppies
Spirit Adrift – Angel and Abyss (from Divided by Darkness, 2019)

First impression: Enjoyable modern version of an otherwise dated style. Not sure about the vocals so far.

Final opinion: Ok let’s get this out of the way. I just cannot get over how much this sounds like what bands like Metallica and Maiden were doing in the 80s. Like, musically there’s not one thing here that those bands weren’t doing 30+ years ago. It does have a nice modern production though, really punchy and deep. And despite being so completely derivative, it’s really, really good for what it is. I don’t see it becoming an all time favourite or anything, but I’ve enjoyed it more and more with every listen and I’m really curious to hear the album and try and get more of a feel for their style. And regarding the vocals, that Ozzy-styling isn’t entirely my cup of tea but it can work really well in the right context (like early Sabbath) and actually it works fine here.

Survivor

Tomi
Baroness – Chlorine & Wine (from Purple, 2015)

First impression: Cool song, but possibly held back by the production.

Final opinion: You mentioned the production being weird, but you needn’t have because it was one of the first things I noticed. :lol It did bother me at first, and I thought it might be the reason for elimination. But the song itself is great. Really catchy hooks, great guitar flourishes that keep getting stuck in my head, and just a ton of charm. I can see the Mastodon similarity you mentioned, and I agree that it’s a bit warmer and more emotional than a lot of their stuff - kind of Alter Bridge overtones at times. After getting used to the song, the production doesn’t bother me so much, and actually it’s only really on earphones that I find it especially noticeable - in the car and on my computer, it sounds fine. So congrats on making it through!

Survivor

THE DIFFICULT ELIMINATIONS:

Sacul
Slowdive – Alison (from Souvlaki, 1993)

First impression: Warm and pleasant... but that might be it. Don’t really remember anything else about it.

Final opinion: So I do actually like this quite a bit, which just shows how much I like the songs ranked above it. It has a real warmth to it, and there’s something about the sounds and production that feel of its time and reminiscent of my teenage years. The main gap for me is the vocals - I find both his voice and the melodies really quite boring, which can be a sticking point for me in a lot of genres and that definitely includes shoegaze. The song grew on me and did become a contender briefly, but in the end I just prefer the other ones.

Eliminated

Romdrums
In the Presence of Wolves – Man of the Times (from Thalassas, 2014)

First impression: There’s loads to like here but some of the vocals grated me a bit, which could be a sticking point.

Final opinion: Another example of strong music being let down by the vocals, and even then only by some of the vocals. The music here is really, really good all the way through. It’s intricate but not overly flashy, surprising and well-performed. And for a lot of the song the vocals are good too - kind of unusual and exciting and they fit the music well. But as the song goes on there are some vocal moments that really, really annoy me to the point of no longer enjoying the song. Firstly there’s the “and it’s a sign” bits, which the delivery of just feels really out of place. I’d probably get past that, but then there’s a big climax around 6 minutes where the singing is just so out of tune. I’m still really interested to check out the album, but this bothered me too much to survive.

Eliminated

Elite
Major Parkinson – Madeleine Crumbles (from Blackbox, 2017)

First impression: Great vibe, but after one listen I'm not sure the song has enough of a focal point.

Final opinion: This is some nice prog pop. Kind of dark and quirky, but also bouncy and cinematic. Great use of strings really give the song quite a unique vibe. I’m not sure I was quite right to say it had no focal point, but I can see why I felt that way on first listen. The melodies are pleasant, but a bit in the background and not especially engaging. This was a contender for survival earlier on, but ultimately it just doesn’t grab me enough compared with other songs I received.

Eliminated

King
Mile Marker Zero – 2001 (from The Fifth Row, 2018)

First impression: Nice prog, but it didn’t make a big immediate impression on me.

Final opinion: This is one of two songs that were really, really hard to eliminate. It’s really fun, energetic prog that, while it didn’t grab me much on my first listen or two, quickly grew on me. The chorus in particular is really catchy, and the way the guitars and synths weave throughout is pretty enjoyable. I don’t have anything bad to say about the song, it ultimately just came down to not feeling as excited by it as the other contenders.

Eliminated

BIZKIT
The Pineapple Thief – White Mist (from Dissolution, 2018)

First impression: I've heard this artist before, but this definitely sounds more interesting, if still a little lacking in wow factor.

Final opinion: Of all the songs I’ve had to eliminate, this was the hardest and came closest to surviving. As you know, I’ve heard some Pineapple Thief before, but never rated them above 3.5 stars. I like their music, it’s really pleasant, sincere prog, but I did always find them a little bit PT-lite. This is no different, but a bit more exciting because of Gavin Harrison’s really fantastic drumming which adds so much to everything he plays in although doesn’t exactly make the PT comparison less valid. It’s a lovely song with great build up. I’m not sure I like it any less than some of the songs that survived, but I had to make a decision. Ultimately, it just came down to feeling more excited about checking out the full albums of other submissions that this one. I’m definitely going to be giving this a listen, and I’m really grateful for you prompting me to do so.

Eliminated

ROUND 1

That full list of survivors then, congrats you’re now in from rounds 1-5!

Seneca
Clortho
Katt
Nekov
Train
Luoto
Evermind
Cyril
Puppies
Tomi

Per the OP, the expectation for Round 1 is that it’s the full album from Round 0. I really liked all 10 songs (and even some of the songs I had to eliminate) and am really keen to check out all 10 albums. I did say there’d be the option to select something else, and I’m a man of my word. From my perspective, there’s no reason at all for any of you to change your minds. But if after seeing the results and write-ups you feel you’d like to send something else instead, please let me know ASAP explaining why. For now I’m going to start listening to the albums.

And don’t forget the sidekick rule. Batman, find your Robin!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
Awesome I made it through! I'll be sticking with my album, no need to change for round 1.

Too bad Evermind didn't get eliminated so I could have him for my sidekick  :biggrin:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Too bad Evermind didn't get eliminated so I could have him for my sidekick  :biggrin:
I did briefly consider it could be safe to eliminate you (to help me make some decisions) as you could join with Ruslan. :lol But I quickly decided I should be fair and rank just based on the songs and how interested I was in hearing the albums.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
i refuse to change my mind, you're getting one of the best albums of last year and you can deal with that

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
I didn’t put this in the safe category because, although I loved it on first listen, listens 2 and 3 I felt less sure. There have definitely been bands who play a sort of poppy hard rock with prog stylings where I’ve really liked them at first and then ended up finding their stuff too samey.

I wouldn't say it was particularly risky to send this but it's one of the more accessible songs, yet the core of their sound is still there. Glad that I'm through, looking forward to your thoughts on it :) It's also a Discover Weekly find of mine; these days Spotify mostly recommends artists I either already know or stuff that doesn't interest me, but occasionally it throws gems at me.
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Well, that sucks :lol:
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Tomislav95

That Baroness' album has really weird ("bad") production and some other songs suffer from it more than Chlorine & Wine but I think it's great album and won't send something else
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
ariich, there's a catch with my album. That specific recording of Galactic Funk is from Asian Dreamer, which is 2 CDs. So in accordance with the rules I think you should listen to disc 2, which has Galactic Funk on it.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #270 on: August 31, 2019, 05:46:18 PM »
If I’m not safe, you won’t be safe either.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
ariich, there's a catch with my album. That specific recording of Galactic Funk is from Asian Dreamer, which is 2 CDs. So in accordance with the rules I think you should listen to disc 2, which has Galactic Funk on it.
tbh you should be disqualified for sending a song off an album that's ineligible by the ruleset :neverusethis:

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Awe man.  I was hoping give you 5 albums.  Rich, still check that album out.  Thanks for having me.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
tbh you should be disqualified for sending a song off an album that's ineligible by the ruleset :neverusethis:

Length: No maximum or minimum length. In general, I have no particular preference for longer or shorter albums, though albums that don't have much variety of tone or style tend to be better if they're not too long IMO. And on the flipside, an EP of just three short songs probably won’t have much impact unless they’re really good.

I mean I guess he can listen to both discs if he wants to but I thought it would be acceptable to just go with one disc to be fair

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Awe man.  I was hoping give you 5 albums.  Rich, still check that album out.  Thanks for having me.

You can be my robin if you'd like. I remember you doing pretty well on my last unfinished roulette so I think we have a lot of music in common.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni

You can be my robin if you'd like. I remember you doing pretty well on my last unfinished roulette so I think we have a lot of music in common.

You bet.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: ariich’s roulette 5.0 – Prelim results & Round 1 (Batman, find your Robin)
« Reply #276 on: September 01, 2019, 01:27:32 AM »

Length: No maximum or minimum length. In general, I have no particular preference for longer or shorter albums, though albums that don't have much variety of tone or style tend to be better if they're not too long IMO. And on the flipside, an EP of just three short songs probably won’t have much impact unless they’re really good.

I mean I guess he can listen to both discs if he wants to but I thought it would be acceptable to just go with one disc to be fair
Yeah, no maximum length so 2 disc albums are eligible.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #277 on: September 01, 2019, 01:34:46 AM »
I'll stick with The Reticent for this round, it's a great album.

Good to see Puppies also made it, now we can kick each other's asses I guess.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #278 on: September 01, 2019, 02:57:25 AM »
Awesome!! Yeah that one cool riff is very very Opeth, I love it. I’ll stick to this album for round 1, maybe interesting to know that i was very close to picking the song Terence, curious to see how much you like that one and whether that would’ve put me through round 0.

We declared it in the thread already but Elite is my teammate. Elite, send me some albums djude!
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: ariich’s roulette 5.0 – Prelim 1st impressions & HANGMAN
« Reply #279 on: September 01, 2019, 03:38:01 AM »
Also let me just say that I find it hilarious that I'm in with The Reticent and Tim is eliminated. :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.