Author Topic: ariich’s roulette 5.0 – The End (again (the actual end this time (really)))  (Read 57202 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: ariich’s roulette 5.0 – Prelim 1st impressions & HANGMAN
« Reply #210 on: August 30, 2019, 07:03:10 PM »

Kat v Pup: Dawn of Roulette Justice

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #211 on: August 31, 2019, 12:56:30 AM »
Slowdive and Mile Marker Zero are the unguessed bands
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #212 on: August 31, 2019, 01:51:57 AM »
Slowdive is probably Sacul
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #213 on: August 31, 2019, 02:09:26 AM »
 Train sent Mile Marker Zero then
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #214 on: August 31, 2019, 02:36:54 AM »
Ehhh I used to, that was one of those albums where I was really into the music at first but got super bored with it after a while. No es mio :/

I think I’m a contender judging by the lengths (longest songs group), year (2018) and given that it’s fairly obviously from a concept album.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #215 on: August 31, 2019, 04:17:09 AM »
Wanna team up after this round then? :neverusethis:
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #216 on: August 31, 2019, 04:36:09 AM »
Unless we’re both in or both out after the prelims, we have a deal!
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #217 on: August 31, 2019, 05:01:09 AM »
Evermind: The Reticent – The Decision
TAC: Idle Hands – Dragon, Why Do You Cry
?: Marah in the Mainsail – Bone Crown
?: Casiopea – _a_act_c __n_
?: Keor – Petrichor
Seneca: Phoebe Bridgers – Funeral
?: The Pineapple Thief – White Mist
?: Baroness – Chlorine & Wine
Nekov: North Atlantic Oscillation – Expert with Altimeter
Sacul: Slowdive – A__son
?: In the Presence of Wolves – Man of the Times
Stadler: The Cult – Soul Asylum
Luoto: Maraton – Blood Music
Cyril: Actor | Observer – Dilettante
Elite: Major Parkinson – Madeleine Crumbles
Puppies: Spirit Adrift – Angel and Abyss
Jingle: Mystery – How Do You Feel
?: Mile Marker Zero – ____

Guessed letters: HAND SPORT CE

First set of results will be up in an hour or two.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #218 on: August 31, 2019, 05:22:38 AM »
Happy birthday Rich. 

Let the buttering up begin!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #219 on: August 31, 2019, 05:23:28 AM »
Mile Marker Zero is The King.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #220 on: August 31, 2019, 05:26:16 AM »
You don't say.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #221 on: August 31, 2019, 06:14:55 AM »
Casiopea - Galactic Funk
Mile Marker Zero is either 2001 or 2020
Alison
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #222 on: August 31, 2019, 06:29:04 AM »
Casiopea - Galactic Funk
Congrats on correctly guessing your own song. :P

Here's the full hangmang:

Evermind: The Reticent – The Decision
TAC: Idle Hands – Dragon, Why Do You Cry?
Clortho: Marah in the Mainsail – Bone Crown
Kattelox: Casiopea – Galactic Funk
Train: Keor – Petrichor
Seneca: Phoebe Bridgers – Funeral
BIZKIT: The Pineapple Thief – White Mist
Tomi: Baroness – Chlorine & Wine
Nekov: North Atlantic Oscillation – Expert with Altimeter
Sacul: Slowdive – Alison
Romdrums: In the Presence of Wolves – Man of the Times
Stadler: The Cult – Soul Asylum
Luoto: Maraton – Blood Music
Cyril: Actor | Observer – Dilettante
Elite: Major Parkinson – Madeleine Crumbles
Puppies: Spirit Adrift – Angel and Abyss
Jingle: Mystery – How Do You Feel?
King: Mile Marker Zero – 2001

First 5 survivors and 3 eliminations coming right up. Sorry to say that it's not been the best performance from the fogeys...
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 06:34:10 AM by ariich »

I be am boner inducing.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #223 on: August 31, 2019, 06:36:17 AM »
. Sorry to say that it's not been the best performance from the fogeys...

No surprise there. I didn't expect to last very long in this roulette..
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: ariich’s roulette 5.0 – Prelim results, part one (5 in, 3 out)
« Reply #224 on: August 31, 2019, 06:39:03 AM »
Prelim results, part one

SAFE FROM EARLY ON:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Seneca
Phoebe Bridgers – Funeral (from Stranger in the Alps, 2017)

First impression: Beautifully emotive, with a sonic richness I didn't expect in the opening of the song.

Final opinion: I don’t usually have a lot to say about individual songs, but I feel I’m going to want to say quite a bit here. I loved it on first listen (though it wasn’t my immediate favourite) and it just got even better with every listen. Musically, it’s beautiful and delicate. Sonically, it has a wonderful and surprising depth in the range of sounds used throughout - folky violins, subtle electronic rhythms later on. But it’s the lyrics that really elevate it. There seems to be a generation of millennial artists (women mostly) who write about sadness in a really engaging, powerful way that I’ve not seen before. I read a comment about the album this is from (which I’ve not heard yet), which said that it’s not about wallowing, but moving through it. This song definitely doesn’t wallow, and it doesn’t try to suggest answers either. It just examines sadness and sorrow with curiosity. While very different in tone, in this way it reminds me of the TV show Fleabag, written and produced by (and starring) her almost-namesake Phoebe Waller-Bridge, a sitcom about sadness that’s funny and sometimes absurd, but also reflective and extremely moving. This song spoke to me on a level I can’t fully explain, so I’ll stop trying and instead just say thank you, and welcome to my roulette!

Survivor

Clortho
Marah in the Mainsail – Bone Crown (from Bone Crown, 2017)

First impression: This is a lot darker than I was expecting. It’s really cool and I already can't wait to hear the album.

Final opinion: Yeah, I absolutely love this and did so right from the very first listen, when it was my immediate favourite (which only later got overtaken by Funeral). I don’t know if you hit a sweet spot for me by luck or by a perceptive examination of my tastes, but this dark, cinematic folk is right up my alley. The lyrics are a little ridiculous at the start, but as the song gets more intense (musically and lyrically) it becomes clear this is from a concept album that’s probably actually quite dark and allegorical. And I’m really excited to hear it.

Survivor

Katt
Casiopea – Galactic Funk (from Asian Dreamer, 1994)

First impression: This sounds like a jazz cover of Japanese video game music. Is it corny or awesome though?

Final opinion: The answer, of course, is that it’s awesome (well, ok it’s a bit corny too - the two aren’t mutually exclusive), the first impression was just worded to sew doubt. There aren’t many jazz fusion artists I particularly like as it’s often quite indulgent, meandering and/or simply inaccessible. Even my favourites, Return to Forever, had some real duds alongside their great stuff. This is only one song of course, but it’s just SO. MUCH. FUN. Very cool playing, but never overly flashy. Jazzy and intricate, but also extremely melodic. And yeah in some of the sounds and melodies, there are real hints of music from 90s Japanese video games, but that’s no bad thing.

Survivor

Nekov
North Atlantic Oscillation – Expert with Altimeter (from Fog Electric, 2012)

First impression: Takes a while to get going, but it's a lovely song that hits an extremely niche soft spot of mine.

Final opinion: Welcome back, former champion. So that extremely niche soft spot of mine is Scottish rock and indie singers whose accent is noticeable when they sing. My wife and all her family is Scottish, and most Scottish accents, when spoken softly, I just find really lovely. Obviously the music has to be good too, but I’ve no doubt that me being such a big fan of Biffy Clyro and Frightened Rabbit is helped by the accents. As for the song itself, it’s fantastic. The start is a little slow but it’s completely fine once you know what’s coming. Once it gets going, it’s gorgeous, warm, and the sound ebbs and flows in a way that feels very fitting of the band’s name. Lovely stuff.

Survivor

Train
Keor – Petrichor (from Petrichor, 2018)

First impression: Takes even longer to get going, but boy when it does it has some really exciting stuff.

Final opinion: Welcome back, current champion! I have to admit that on first listen, I wasn’t too sure about this  in the first few minutes. The Steven Wilson vibe you mentioned is undeniable, and the start of the song is very cool, but in an unusual almost esoteric way. Odd suspended chords and no obvious hooks. After three and a half minutes I was wondering if it was like that all the way through, but then the dark, intense, Opeth-esque riffs kick in and suddenly the whole dimension of the song has changed. There are more surprises and great touches too - I like the way those riffs come back in a more melodic fashion later on, and there are also strong hints of Devin Towsnend towards the end. This really is exciting, dynamic stuff.

Survivor

YOU ARE THE WEAKEST LINK GOODBYE:

TAC
Idle Hands – Dragon, Why Do You Cry? (from Mana, 2019)

First impression: Pretty fun song despite being quite moody. Nice guitar work. Not sure I find it very exciting though.

Final opinion: Sadly this song didn’t grow on me at all, in fact if anything I lost interest. I do quite like the way it merges metal tendencies with the moody yet upbeat stylings of traditional goth rock. The latter has just never been a style that’s particularly interested me, and the vocals aren’t really my cup of tea (especially in some of the cheesier moments, like the countdown). I still dig the guitar work though, which is the highlight of the song for me.

Eliminated

Jingle
Mystery – How Do You Feel? (from Lies and Butterflies, 2018)

First impression: I've heard this artist before, and once again on paper they sound good but the music just isn't grabbing me (so far).

Final opinion: Yep, this hasn’t really changed my opinion of Mystery at all. It was pretty brave to send them after a previous album of theirs got eliminated from the prelim of my last roulette. Like that album, this song just sounds like mid-tier Rush. It’s not bad by any means, far from it. All of the components are good, it has a nice vibe, the performances are solid (the guitar and drums in particular, especially in the solo towards the end) and this time the production is pretty strong. It’s perfectly pleasant each time I listen to it. There just isn’t really anything about it that makes me want to listen to it again.

Eliminated

Stadler
The Cult – Soul Asylum (from Sonic Temple, 1989)

First impression: Pretty much the sort of thing I’d expect you to send. It’s nice enough, but it’s not really doing much for me.

Final opinion: This has actually grown on me a little. The general 80s metal vibe of the song is cool, and it has some nice nuances as the song develops that stand out more with repeat listens. I’m guessing Spotify has a remaster as the sound is very nice too - punchy and surprisingly modern sounding. But I still stand by my initial feeling that it’s just not very exciting. The tempo is incredibly plodding and the whole first half of the song just lacks any kind of drive or energy. You seem determined to only send me music from the 70s and 80s, which was a hit the first time with Rainbow, but has been a series of misses since.

Eliminated

I be am boner inducing.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #225 on: August 31, 2019, 06:40:25 AM »
Age discrimination!!!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #226 on: August 31, 2019, 06:43:20 AM »
Age discrimination!!!
Hey, it's not my fault Stadler insists on only sending me 70s and 80s music, Jingle can't keep away from middle-of-the-road prog, and you seem to use a random number generator (or possibly a dart board and a blindfold) to choose what to send me. :P

EDIT: I'm going to miss your blindfolded-darts approach by the way, it produced some real gems last time.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #227 on: August 31, 2019, 06:48:58 AM »
Thanos just snapped three good people out of this roulette. But I'm safe! Lord, it's a miracle! Now after that writeup I KNOW I'm getting eliminated with the full record  :lol

Galactic Funk is a super fun song and that's exactly why I sent it. An instrumental track has to have some kind of memorable hook to come back to, and GF has that, but I also think the rest of the playing is super tasty. There's actually a live video of them playing it on YouTube that I enjoy just slightly more because you can see how freaking talented they are and how much fun they're having while playing it.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #228 on: August 31, 2019, 06:50:51 AM »
Now after that writeup I KNOW I'm getting eliminated with the full record  :lol
To be clear, every survivor is safe until round 5.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #229 on: August 31, 2019, 06:51:18 AM »
Now after that writeup I KNOW I'm getting eliminated with the full record  :lol
To be clear, every survivor is safe until round 5.

Oh! Fudge yeah then.  :metal

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #230 on: August 31, 2019, 06:59:14 AM »
Age discrimination!!!
Hey, it's not my fault Stadler insists on only sending me 70s and 80s music, Jingle can't keep away from middle-of-the-road prog, and you seem to use a random number generator (or possibly a dart board and a blindfold) to choose what to send me. :P

EDIT: I'm going to miss your blindfolded-darts approach by the way, it produced some real gems last time.

Well, it's really because I have no idea, obviously.

I am not upset or complaining, please don't in any way take it that way.. :) :)

But I just listened to a couple of the survivors. Oh boy.. :lol

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #231 on: August 31, 2019, 07:01:12 AM »
:lol It's cool I know, I was just bantering back.

And yeah, tastes!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #232 on: August 31, 2019, 07:03:30 AM »
TAC, if you got something bad to say about Galactic Funk, you better funk on right out this thread!  :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #233 on: August 31, 2019, 07:04:23 AM »
That wasn't one of the ones I checked.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #234 on: August 31, 2019, 07:11:03 AM »
That wasn't one of the ones I checked.

Well why the hell not?!  :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #235 on: August 31, 2019, 07:13:37 AM »
Well, because it said it was funk, and that's its own thing. I'll check it and get back to you.

EDIT: So funky!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #236 on: August 31, 2019, 07:32:44 AM »
Unsurprising.  I can't help you if you think that Mystery is MOR prog  :P ;).  And I still fail to comprehend how one can rate Frost* high, but then consider Darwin's Radio to be middle of the road.  But as I always say ... TASTES!

As soon as I saw the list of albums you put in the Top 10 for 2019 thread, I knew I was doomed - even if there was any appeal from Mystery.  We are clearly not a match if my #2 song of the year is MOR for your ears.  It's all good though.  Onwards and upwards for the rest of ya!
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #237 on: August 31, 2019, 07:40:56 AM »
Really liked all the songs that made it. Keor is an album I need to buy asap.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #238 on: August 31, 2019, 07:57:08 AM »
Unsurprising.  I can't help you if you think that Mystery is MOR prog  :P ;).  And I still fail to comprehend how one can rate Frost* high, but then consider Darwin's Radio to be middle of the road.  But as I always say ... TASTES!
Indeed, and in my case at least (and many other people) my tastes aren't anchored around genres and not even really around styles either. Frost and DR play in the same genre in a similar style, but the things that excite me about Frost aren't really present in DR. It's as simple as that, really.

As soon as I saw the list of albums you put in the Top 10 for 2019 thread, I knew I was doomed - even if there was any appeal from Mystery.  We are clearly not a match if my #2 song of the year is MOR for your ears.
I'm not sure it's that straightforward. Cyril and I have huge differences in our tastes and almost nothing in common in our top 10s, but I've won his last two roulettes and he's come 2nd and 3rd in my last two. There's definitely plenty of overlap between my tastes and yours, which you hit well last time with Abime and Alithia. Same with Tim sending me Euphoreon and Kaelling (and to some extent Hyperomm). For me, roulettes aren't about sending your favourite stuff, but instead trying to figure out what you think the host will like most.

TL;DR: I still love you guys. :heart

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #239 on: August 31, 2019, 07:57:41 AM »
Crap, I'm out :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #240 on: August 31, 2019, 08:03:33 AM »
For me, roulettes aren't about sending your favourite stuff, but instead trying to figure out what you think the host will like most.

Well, I'm 50/50 on that statement. I've approached roulettes both ways. I try and use roulettes mostly to get to know people through music.
It's not always about winning, but it's more about participating back and forth. It's one of the reasons I don't like elimination roulettes (not directing this at you Ariich). But once I'm out, I'm out.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #241 on: August 31, 2019, 08:13:17 AM »
For me, roulettes aren't about sending your favourite stuff, but instead trying to figure out what you think the host will like most.

Well, I'm 50/50 on that statement. I've approached roulettes both ways. I try and use roulettes mostly to get to know people through music.
It's not always about winning, but it's more about participating back and forth.

I too think it's 50/50.  I'd never send something that I didn't love, just on the hopes that it would match up with the hosts tastes.  For the way I play, it's an even blend of both.  And the having fun part too.  Hell, if it was JUST about discovering new music, then the AI algorithms at Spotify, last.fm, YT, Apple can do just as good a job at recommending new music to try ... maybe even better.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #242 on: August 31, 2019, 08:24:07 AM »
I generally try to introduce people to new stuff in roulettes unless they specify that they're looking for something particular from the contestants, themed or not. Variety is the spice of life. Plus, if I don't really have a good grasp on their musical taste, I'll just send blindly until I start to get somewhere. I've sent everything from Benny Goodman to Swedish black metal to Enya to rap to country etc. At least to me that's the most fun thing about roulettes. Especially when people don't expect a certain kind of music from you.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #243 on: August 31, 2019, 08:47:32 AM »
If I’m not safe, you won’t be safe either.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #244 on: August 31, 2019, 08:53:05 AM »
Dragon, why do you cry? is still the best song I got in my lates roulette, sad to see TAC out because of it :/
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...