Author Topic: ariich’s roulette 5.0 – The End (again (the actual end this time (really)))  (Read 56872 times)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: ariich’s roulette 5.0 – Heroes & Villains (R7 hangman + 1st impressions)
« Reply #1085 on: October 14, 2019, 08:34:20 AM »
a 9.0 AND a 7.0? wow :neverusethis:
actually one round went from 6.5 to 8.5 but my joke stands

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1086 on: October 14, 2019, 10:37:48 AM »
Indeed, which means this round might have a score higher than 8.5 or lower than 6.5 or both. Nothing is decided yet though.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1087 on: October 14, 2019, 10:42:46 AM »
I hope I'm going down, down, down, lower, to the bottom, of the valley, where the train is observed

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1088 on: October 14, 2019, 11:57:40 AM »
Also, I'm hoping to have results by Wednesday evening, or Thursday at the latest. So I would definitely suggest cracking on with your concept albums, and like Cyril do feel free to send early if you like although no pressure to at all.

A reminder of the round rules:

]
Final – Concept album: Here I want both quality and a bit of creativity. Here are the unnecessarily complicated rules:
  • 40-70 minutes of music from at least 3 different artists (short interlude tracks don’t count towards this).
  • Flow and narrative are important. It doesn’t need to be a story-based concept, it’s fine for it to be thematic as long as the concept is clear and it narratively flows well.
  • You may use a small amount of music from banned artists, if this helps you get the flow/narrative right. Up to 20% of the total time (8 mins for a 40 min album, 14 mins for a 70 min album) can be from banned artists/albums. The rest needs to all be new and still be from 3 different artists.
  • The usual 4-10 points scoring will be based only on how much I like the new music and ignore anything I already know. Up to 10 additional points will also be available: 5 for how coherently the album flows musically, and 5 for quality of the conceptual/thematic narrative.

In terms of format, same as the Greatest Hits round am happy with whatever format works for you. Sending a single MP3 or collection of Mp3s often works well if you want to manually curate it (especially to help with flow etc.). But Spotify playlists are also fine.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1089 on: October 14, 2019, 12:00:17 PM »
I realize I could've sent you a spotify playlist instead of including both the single file and all the individual files but whatever

Commencing corn

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1090 on: October 14, 2019, 12:14:24 PM »
A single file is generally useful if editing is needed for track transitions or normalising voiume levels. If nothing like that is needed then yeah just the tracks or a Spotify playlist are completely fine.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1091 on: October 14, 2019, 12:22:07 PM »
Yeah I am saying I bloated up my .zip file unnecessarily by including both the 71 minute mp3 and separate files for every song when i could've just given a spotify link lol

Don't be dumb like me, kids

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1092 on: October 14, 2019, 05:31:15 PM »
Don't be dumb like me, kids
Noted

I'm working on the writeup/story/theme for my Concept Album. Should have it done tonight or tomorrow.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1093 on: October 14, 2019, 05:58:37 PM »
Alunea Pt. 4?  :metal

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1094 on: October 14, 2019, 06:28:24 PM »
Nah, this is an entirely new story line  :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1095 on: October 14, 2019, 06:36:01 PM »
Nice

Mine's entirely self contained but also each song us basically its own entire chapter because I went overboard

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1096 on: October 15, 2019, 11:58:25 AM »
compared sons when?  :corn
show me that delicious ^

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1097 on: October 15, 2019, 01:55:41 PM »
compared sons when?
Now! Though I'm not sure how helpful they are considering the last round... :P

v Tomi
^ Cyril
^ Luoto
^ Puppies
^ Clortho

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: ariich’s roulette 5.0 – Heroes & Villains (Round 7 hints...)
« Reply #1098 on: October 15, 2019, 02:04:25 PM »
i mean you've confirmed my guess for which impression tomi got was correct but that's about it  :corn

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1099 on: October 15, 2019, 02:12:05 PM »
All I've confirmed is that Tomi will be scoring 7.5 or lower.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1100 on: October 15, 2019, 02:32:26 PM »
I mean, true :P
We'll see once you post results, I guess  :corn

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: ariich’s roulette 5.0 – Heroes & Villains (Round 7 RESULTS)
« Reply #1101 on: October 16, 2019, 06:49:15 AM »
I mean, true :P
We'll see once you post results, I guess  :corn
So yes you were in fact correct. :P

ROUND 7 RESULTS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cyril
Persefone – Spiritual Migration (2013)

First impression: This is probably the best thing you’ve sent all roulette.

Final opinion: After two and a half roulettes in the 7.5-8.5 range, you finally break out of it two rounds in a row, this time with the best thing you’ve ever sent me. Especially after the last round, I honestly wasn’t expecting anything else this exciting for the rest of the roulette. At times it goes fully into death metal territory and has the intensity of other things you’ve sent me, but it’s all so fantastically balanced with a rich sense of melody and atmosphere, some real proggyness and a great amount of variety that makes it feel much shorter than its runtime (on that note, for someone who claims to prefer shorter albums, you’ve sent me a lot of really lengthy stuff!). And while the general style might not be wholly unique, the speed and tightness of the riffing is something I’ve just not heard in this sort of music. Performances are generally awesome all round and both the clean and harsh vocals give the music the impact it needs to make this a pretty thrilling album, and the very clear round winner. After scraping through the round 5 elimination and having a lot of luck in round 6, you’ve suddenly given yourself a shot at this.
Rating: 9/10
Score: 10 + 2 bonus = 12 points

Puppies
At The Drive In – Relationship Of Command (2000)

First impression: This is somehow simultaneously of its time and ahead of its time.

Final opinion: I should start by saying that I’ve been a big fan of One Armed Scissor since the early 2000s (end of school, early uni for me) and have had just that song in my mp3 collection since then. I must have checked the album out at some point back then, but evidently it never did anything for me and I never went back to it to rate it. But my tastes have expanded a lot over the years and I’m really glad to have (re-)discovered it. There is something about the grungy, punky sound that still very much reminds of that era. But it’s also got big aspects of both where they’d go next with The Mars Volta, and generally where post-hardcore would go later into the 2000s and beyond. The rawness doesn’t always quite work for me in every song, but it doesn’t stop it being a pretty exciting and energetic album. And while Scissor is still my favourite, there are a whole load of other great songs too - the ones I’ve been particularly enjoying are Mannequin Republic, Rolodex Propaganda and Non-Zero Possibility (incidentally, the titles are a bit ridiculous).
Rating: 8/10
Score: 8 + 1 bonus = 9 points

Luoto
Disillusion – The Liberation (2019)

First impression: This is heavy, pretty proggy and surprisingly dense. I like it, but not sure how much yet.

Final opinion: You didn’t need to provide any caveats about their earlier albums, as I’ve never heard them. :lol So I’ve come to this album as a complete newbie to the band, and they sound rather great to me. They definitely sound more prog metal than death metal, but there’s clearly a big element of both - kind of reminds me of Watershed-era Opeth in that regard. This album isn’t nearly as aggressive or intricate as the Persefone that Cyril sent, but tonally it’s very heavy and dense. It just borders on getting too much of a slog on a couple of occasions, but always pulls back just in time. There are atmospheric moments that provide the necessary respite, some huge melodies at times, and all held together by an intense mood that works really well. Not every song is amazing (the closer for example has some great parts but does drag a bit) but they’re all at least solid. The title track is probably the standout for me, it’s absolutely epic and one of my favourites of the whole roulette.
Rating: 8/10
Score: 7.5 + 1 bonus = 8.5 points

Clortho
Jane's Addiction – Nothing's Shocking (1988)

First impression: This has a great groove to a lot of it and should be up my alley, but the vocals aren’t doing it for me right now and could be a sticking point.

Final opinion: You’ve had some bad luck here because if you’d sent this last round, you’d have at least come second and maybe even won the round. I really do like a lot of it, and I can see why Cyril thought the “ahead of its time” first impression was about this, as there definitely is a 90s vibe to it and I gather the band will have quite influential. It has a great groove in a lot of the songs, some strong hooks and a sense of swagger that’s very enjoyable. I like Navarro’s guitar playing as well (I mostly know him from the album he did with the Red Hot Chili Peppers) which provides quite a bit of that swagger. As I suspected in my first impression, though, the thing that gets in the way is Perry Farrell’s vocals. I can’t remember what songs I’ve heard from Jane’s Addiction before, presumably from one of their later albums, but I don’t remember finding the vocals this irritating.
Rating: 7.5/10
Score: 6.5 points

Tomi
The Cure – Disintegration (1989)

First impression: This is… just a bit boring, to be honest.

Final opinion: Ok so I’ll say that this did grow on me, a little, to the extent that there are a couple of songs I rather like now (Homesick especially is genuinely really nice, and the title track is pretty cool too, with a good groove). And the rest, I’ve come to appreciate the moody vibe, but I do still find it all a bit dull and it drags a lot. I mean, why is it all so long? For my tastes, there just isn’t enough variety or interesting stuff happening to keep my attention. The Same Deep Water As You seems to encapsulate this issue - perfectly pleasant but it’s 4 minutes of content in a 9 minute song. That’s just a microcosm of the album as a whole though, which I’ve generally found hard work to get through. It works fine as background music, I want a bit more than that really.
Rating: 6.5/10
Score: 4 points

Scores after Round 7:
1. (=) Luoto    = 7.0 + 7.0 + 11.0 + 10.5 + 10.0 + 7.0 + 8.5 = 61.0
2. (^) Cyril      = 9.0 + 6.5 + 6.0 + 8.5 + 7.5 + 8.5 + 12.0 = 58.0
3. (^) Puppies = 4.0 + 11.0 + 9.5 + 6.0 + 8.5 + 5.5 + 9.0 = 53.5
4. (v) Tomi      = 7.5 + 5.5 + 8.0 + 11.0 + 6.5 + 10.0 + 4.0 = 52.5
5. (v) Clortho   = 12.0 + 10.5 + 4.0 + 4.5 + 9.5 + 4.0 + 6.5 = 51.0

So as we go into the final round, Luoto is still ahead but his lead has now dropped to 3 points. We’ve seen how much movement there is in these post-elimination rounds, so Cyril definitely has a shot, and potentially even Puppies. Technically anyone can still win, but obviously much less likely for the bottom two. The battle for a bronze medal is very much on though.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline v_clortho

• Keymaster of Gozer
  • King of DTF
« Reply #1102 on: October 16, 2019, 08:22:00 AM »
So you're saying there's a chance.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1103 on: October 16, 2019, 08:34:25 AM »
honestly if i win this it'll be the comeback of the century and the perfect ending to the three-roulette story
1st roulette: eliminated before the finals
2nd roulette: second place
3rd roulette: underdog comeback after near-elimination twice  :metal

anyways congrats luoto

also
holy sweet jesus while i was going through stuff for my concept album i just noticed a shocking hole in the banned list that i am now immediately filling
told you so. unfortunately i don't think any other persefone album lives up to this one, nothing else i've heard from them even comes close really

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1104 on: October 16, 2019, 08:45:59 AM »
So you're saying there's a chance.
:lol Mathematically, absolutely. There are 10 points between you and Luoto, and the possible scores range from 4 (round loser and no points at all for musical and narrative flow) to 20 (round winner and maximum points for musical and narrative flow).

You could say that it's a:
Non-Zero Possibility

anyways congrats luoto
:lol

also
holy sweet jesus while i was going through stuff for my concept album i just noticed a shocking hole in the banned list that i am now immediately filling
told you so. unfortunately i don't think any other persefone album lives up to this one, nothing else i've heard from them even comes close really
Yeah you got this one spot on. And no worries if their other albums aren't as good, that happened with a bunch of my favourites from the last two roulettes.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1105 on: October 16, 2019, 11:00:03 AM »
Gunning for another 9/10 or higher with my concept album btw

The beauty of these things is that I can pick and choose really great tunes and just make an album that goes hard for its entire runtime  :metal

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1106 on: October 16, 2019, 10:16:13 PM »
So I'm still working on my story.....I got a little (a lot) carried away. It's turning in to a novel... :lol

Anyway, I should have it to you by tomorrow. Sorry for the delay.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1107 on: October 16, 2019, 10:31:34 PM »
So I'm still working on my story.....I got a little (a lot) carried away. It's turning in to a novel... :lol
Evermind would be proud.

my story definitely isn't a novel but probably at least qualifies for short story status. 2031 words & 4 full pages in MS word at size 12 font, so. it's something at least  :P

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1108 on: October 17, 2019, 01:28:51 AM »
Evermind would be proud.

my story definitely isn't a novel but probably at least qualifies for short story status. 2031 words & 4 full pages in MS word at size 12 font, so. it's something at least  :P
Mine ended up not being quite that long, but close. I'm sure my story makes no sense and may need a lot of editing, but oh well. Sending in few minutes.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1109 on: October 17, 2019, 01:37:09 AM »
Evermind would be proud.

Mine ended up not being quite that long, but close. I'm sure my story makes no sense and may need a lot of editing, but oh well. Sending in few minutes.
I've headed off to work now so won't be able to download properly until this afternoon/evening. So if you want to take a few more hours to refine, I say go for it. There's no hard deadline yet anyway.

I be am boner inducing.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1110 on: October 17, 2019, 01:41:57 AM »
Evermind would be proud.

I've headed off to work now so won't be able to download properly until this afternoon/evening. So if you want to take a few more hours to refine, I say go for it. There's no hard deadline yet anyway.
Too late, I've already sent. Besides I'm going to bed now  :P I'm really happy with the music on this and how well it flows. The jury is still out on the story. :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1111 on: October 17, 2019, 01:50:41 AM »
honestly my story this time around is awesome and fairly original (or at least it isn't directly based on greek myths like the one i sent you was :P) and i think the music's awesome too (i know for at least one of the songs you'd agree) so i'm looking forward to losing to luoto

i don't really think it'll totally flop though but i'm excited to be proven wrong on that front  :metal

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1112 on: October 17, 2019, 03:20:17 PM »
So I've got three of the concept albums in and have started listening. :hat

Just waiting on Luoto and Tomi.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1113 on: October 17, 2019, 03:23:44 PM »
Tomito salad, c'mon  :corn

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1114 on: October 17, 2019, 06:03:50 PM »

Were you able to download the mp3 file from my Google drive? I've been having issues with it lately, where it will make the files unable to be downloaded for some reason.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: ariich’s roulette 5.0 – Heroes & Villains (send for final round!)
« Reply #1115 on: October 17, 2019, 06:18:02 PM »
I'm really curious to hear your album/read your story tbh but, hangmemes,

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1116 on: October 18, 2019, 12:03:55 AM »

Were you able to download the mp3 file from my Google drive? I've been having issues with it lately, where it will make the files unable to be downloaded for some reason.
Yep, worked fine for me. Same with your Depeche Mode compilation. Not sure why you're having trouble downloading your own files. :lol

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1117 on: October 18, 2019, 12:37:49 AM »
 :corn

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1118 on: October 18, 2019, 12:47:02 AM »

Yep, worked fine for me. Same with your Depeche Mode compilation. Not sure why you're having trouble downloading your own files. :lol
:dunno: weird
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1119 on: October 18, 2019, 01:23:40 AM »
Sorry, but I won't be able to send until I get home from work (in about 8 hours)
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...