Author Topic: RAY ALDER – Announces sophomore solo album “II”  (Read 7943 times)

Offline nick_z

Re: RAY ALDER – Announces sophomore solo album “II”
« Reply #70 on: April 11, 2023, 06:21:08 PM »
Pretty sure I have an Engine CD.  I don't think I ever listened to it.

You should  :)

Offline T-ski

« Reply #71 on: April 11, 2023, 08:26:14 PM »
Watching the new lyric video and I gotta say, the “II” looks like the Dodge logo.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: April 11, 2023, 09:19:32 PM »

Yeah mate, I'll hunt it out.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #73 on: April 12, 2023, 08:30:18 AM »

Go for it my friend.  I have both Engine albums.  Love em!  First one is the best, but 2nd not too far behind.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: May 04, 2023, 07:17:39 PM »
Hey everyone! I had the opportunity to interview Ray today, and I'll be sharing it with all of you very soon. Get ready to enjoy some great insights and conversation! Stay tuned!

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #75 on: May 05, 2023, 08:20:29 AM »
Hey everyone! I had the opportunity to interview Ray today, and I'll be sharing it with all of you very soon. Get ready to enjoy some great insights and conversation! Stay tuned!

Bring it on, man. I'm really enjoying the new album. Ray is a rare example of a singer whose range has diminished over the years, but his delivery got WAY better. The songs are great...heavy at times, moody here and there...and Michael Abdow's work on the album is absolutely stellar.

Offline WardySI

« Reply #76 on: May 05, 2023, 06:19:33 PM »

Bring it on, man. I'm really enjoying the new album. Ray is a rare example of a singer whose range has diminished over the years, but his delivery got WAY better. The songs are great...heavy at times, moody here and there...and Michael Abdow's work on the album is absolutely stellar.

New album?  You're listening to the the new one?

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: May 05, 2023, 08:37:02 PM »

New album?  You're listening to the the new one?

Yes, new solo album

Offline WardySI

« Reply #78 on: May 06, 2023, 06:12:33 AM »
Lucky you.

Are you allowed share some thoughts? Comparisons to What The Water Wants?  Harder more progressive more whatever or same?...

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: May 06, 2023, 07:11:13 AM »
Harder, darker, heavier

There's embargo until two weeks before release date

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #80 on: May 08, 2023, 08:21:30 AM »
While the first one took a few more listens for me to click with, II is a lot catchier, and has more of an immediate impact.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #81 on: May 08, 2023, 02:46:15 PM »
Harder, darker, heavier

While the first one took a few more listens for me to click with, II is a lot catchier, and has more of an immediate impact.

So something like what we hear on songs such as "One," is what I think based on those comments. Wouldn't be a bad thing. And we all know how Ray loves "One" (as do I!)
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline WardySI

« Reply #82 on: May 09, 2023, 09:09:39 PM »
Hoping for more stuff along the lines of WAIT which was IMO exactly what I want hear from Ray at this point of his career.  Splendid stuff ;)

Anyway thanks for the comments and looking forward to reading/hearing more when into those couple weeks pre-release then ;)

Offline Awaken

« Reply #83 on: May 10, 2023, 06:29:38 AM »
New song is up, going to need a few more listens it's not resonating the same as This Hollow Shell.  Still quite unexpected, and love the way Ray's voice has aged.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: May 10, 2023, 07:25:51 AM »
Check out the track “Waiting For Some Sun” in an atmospheric video created by Manu Giménez / MG Media Productions here: https://youtu.be/hbOoZjzO_HM

Ray Alder comments about “Waiting For Some Sun” as follows:
“I wanted a totally different style for a song on the new album. Something that set itself apart from the rest. Mike and I got to talking and I said I want a song where the chorus is in the beginning but builds and gets bigger every time it repeats. Also dark with a lot of attitude. This is the music he came up with. I personally love how the vocal melody has nothing to do with the guitars. A sort of chaos that makes sense. At least to me...”

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #85 on: May 10, 2023, 02:06:28 PM »
Wow, I like Ray and all, but this new song is a big bucket of nothing. Those heavy guitars are tuned so low it hurts my ears.
Maybe it'll sink in with repeated listens, but honestly, I'm not all that motivated. I'll drop the needle on the new album for sure, but..ugh.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #86 on: May 11, 2023, 04:05:47 AM »
I definitely did not expect this. So far, both songs surprise me and I really like them. I prefer the verses to the choruses as Ray's voice is not so subdued there. This album is getting even more promising. The song does end a bit abruptly for me, though, kind of left underdeveloped and underwhelming. At least on first listen.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: May 11, 2023, 08:50:42 AM »
This second song is a surprise. I dig it. Listening right now for the first time. I'm at the end now. Enjoyed the build up.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: May 11, 2023, 04:58:48 PM »
I actually really liked that song, the chorus IMO is fantastic.

Offline WardySI

« Reply #89 on: May 12, 2023, 03:54:42 AM »
Yep took me a few spins and fully appreciate the comments from others here but this is cool as f**k!  Not sure it will prove best choice for a 'single' but great stuff regardless \m/

Think the video actually helps on this occasion...

https://youtu.be/hbOoZjzO_HM

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: May 16, 2023, 08:22:11 AM »
Here's my interview with Ray:

https://lotsofmuzik.com/insights-into-the-upcoming-release-of-solo-album-ii/

Well done and good questions.

You may want to go back and correct a couple spelling mistakes Mike Abdow has a w at the end of his name, etc., things like that. Give it a once over to make sure all that is corrected. But your English is way better than my Spanish! Glad you got to talk to him and thanks for sharing.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #92 on: May 16, 2023, 08:46:49 AM »
Thanks for the interview. Interesting read and very much looking forward to this album.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #93 on: May 16, 2023, 05:22:39 PM »

Great interview, man. And I thought you were going to interview him in Spanish! How come Ray lives in Spain and hasn't taken the opportunity to improve his Spanish!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: May 16, 2023, 06:18:30 PM »

I have the self titled Engine CD.  Spun it yesterday and it was enjoyable.  Definitely a blatant attempt at what was going on at that time but it was a nice mix of heavier Disconnected style Fates with say Psycho Motel with a little Soundgarden thrown in.  Ray sounds great on this one.  Not something I'll revisit often but a solid output.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #95 on: May 16, 2023, 06:56:58 PM »
I have the first Engine album. Bought it as soon as it came out. I was very disappointed with it. It's OK. I remember really liking one song.. The Tree Of Life..is that what it's called? haven't listened to it in ages.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: May 16, 2023, 07:10:51 PM »
I have the first Engine album. Bought it as soon as it came out. I was very disappointed with it. It's OK. I remember really liking one song.. The Tree Of Life..is that what it's called? haven't listened to it in ages.

Yeah, that's the one I have.  I can see it not being your thing.  I feel they focussed too much on trying to fit in with the alternate grunge thing at the time and that hurts it.  The ideas and groove is there but some prog flair and a little more experimentation would have helped too.  It also seems like they did a St. Anger and deliberately omitted guitar solos and tried to make everything as simple as possible in that department.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: May 16, 2023, 07:19:33 PM »

Great interview, man. And I thought you were going to interview him in Spanish! How come Ray lives in Spain and hasn't taken the opportunity to improve his Spanish!

I was ready to do the interview in Spanish, but I am glad it was on English, that way I didn’t spend time translating the whole thing.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: May 18, 2023, 08:41:13 AM »
re: Engine - definitely of its time. No guitar solos, etc., a dead giveaway. But it's heavy as hell, and I really enjoy it.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #99 on: May 18, 2023, 03:56:00 PM »
Agreed. I might have a slight preference for Superholic, but they are both good. The cover of Fascination Street is pretty cool…

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #100 on: May 18, 2023, 05:05:57 PM »
Yep took me a few spins and fully appreciate the comments from others here but this is cool as f**k!  Not sure it will prove best choice for a 'single' but great stuff regardless \m/

Think the video actually helps on this occasion...

https://youtu.be/hbOoZjzO_HM

its still not hitting me... idk.  pleasant and plodding but just left me flat
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline abydos

• DT.net

Offline WardySI

« Reply #102 on: May 24, 2023, 05:29:11 AM »
That's how ya do it  \m/

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: May 24, 2023, 08:45:58 AM »
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns