Author Topic: RAY ALDER – Announces sophomore solo album “II”  (Read 7945 times)

Offline NunoTenniscourt

• President of my uncle's Anti-Nepotism Organization
Re: RAY ALDER – Signs solo worldwide deal with InsideOutMusic
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2019, 06:58:43 PM »

I wish there was a little more going on during the verses of "Crown of Thorns". It sounds a little barren musically, but with Ray's vocals being so stellar, I can overlook it. That chorus is a fucking winner, though. Awesome.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2019, 10:20:03 PM »
Listened to the album today and I must say I like it a lot. Actually I like it way more than the new Vanden Plas album, which I didn't expect at all.

Favourite track is probably Shine so far.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2019, 12:22:14 PM »
This album is absolutely killer.  I've had it on repeat all day and have yet to grow tired of it.  Ray is sounding better than ever and the music has plenty of variety - some heavy tunes, some ballads, some groovy things and everything in between. 

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2019, 02:50:31 PM »
Really pumped to hear this album!  Gonna wait until my physical copy arrives.  Can't wait!  :metal
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2019, 03:35:20 PM »
this is just okay to me - I like Ray's voice but this sounds like a midtempo alt rock album and I was expecting something with more oomph

he's the star of the party imo, he sounds great - the single is the weakest link
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2019, 03:07:37 PM »
This album is absolutely killer.  I've had it on repeat all day and have yet to grow tired of it.  Ray is sounding better than ever and the music has plenty of variety - some heavy tunes, some ballads, some groovy things and everything in between.

Hoping my Laser's Edge CD/LP combo gets here today or tomorrow!
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Online goo-goo

« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2019, 03:24:12 PM »

They had a delay from the distributor. Got my shipping notification today so I hope to get it by the end of the week.

Offline krands85

« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2019, 05:11:47 PM »
Gave this a spin earlier today. Feels like it starts off a bit slowly, but mostly gets better as it goes on.

Still wish Ray was in Redemption though  :'(
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2019, 08:14:56 AM »

They had a delay from the distributor. Got my shipping notification today so I hope to get it by the end of the week.

That explains it. I got my shipping notification on Thursday or Friday, so fingers crossed it shows up soon. It was sent media mail, so probably closer to the end of this week.  :sad:
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Online goo-goo

« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2019, 09:11:47 AM »

That explains it. I got my shipping notification on Thursday or Friday, so fingers crossed it shows up soon. It was sent media mail, so probably closer to the end of this week.  :sad:

I received it today. Quite surprised at the speed since it was media mail. Might get it sooner than you think.

Online goo-goo

« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2019, 11:20:25 AM »

Apologize for the high hopes. I had ordered Nova Collective from LaserCD so that's the one I got :(

I received it today. Quite surprised at the speed since it was media mail. Might get it sooner than you think.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2019, 12:11:08 PM »

Me too. Just got here. I am ripping the CD as I type this.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2019, 09:35:31 AM »
I just got through my second listen. Really cool record. It mixes much of the styles from Ray's past bands (including a little bit of Engine to my ears), and has some really beautiful melodic moments. It's probably the original lineup QR fan boy in me, but I could swear I hear a little bit of atmosphere that is reminiscent of some of the Mindcrime segues (Waiting for 22/My Empty Room) mixed with Promised Land (someone brought that up earlier, if not on here, it was on social media somewhere). There's a bit of Fates obviously as well.

Really, really good record. So glad he did this solo album. Something to tide us over until Fates drops their next record. I know Ray has said he hopes it'll be a long time before he does another one (because he wants Fates to keep going), but honestly, I really hope he can find time to do solo records like this in-between Fates albums and tours. It was really nice to hear a cross-section of his career on a disc like this. Tony Hernando (did I get his name right) and Mike Abdow did an outstanding job writing the music. Great stuff. I hear Abdow's style embedded in it quite a bit. Hoping he gets to contribute a little more to Fates on the next Fates record.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #48 on: October 23, 2019, 10:53:08 AM »
Just playedthis this morning and really enjoyed it after going in with little expectation.
Anyway, as I was in town today and it was in HMV I picked it up.

Offline NunoTenniscourt

• President of my uncle's Anti-Nepotism Organization
« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2019, 05:15:32 PM »

I'm liking this much more than I expected. He sounds phenomenal, which is great, considering how many singers lose their vocal abilities as they get older.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: October 28, 2019, 12:50:13 PM »
Just got in my first full listen this weekend.  I'm really liking it!  I think I listened to the first song, "Lost," about 10 times before moving on to the rest of the disc.  That's probably my favorite tune, and I could actually hear it fitting on a FW album.  The album is so solid that I think Jim should consider using one of Mike Abdow's songs on the next FW album and having the rest of the band give it the FW touch.  Congrats to Ray.  He's a legendary progressive metal voice and deserves a little solo success. :)   
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: October 30, 2019, 08:19:28 AM »
Just got in my first full listen this weekend.  I'm really liking it!  I think I listened to the first song, "Lost," about 10 times before moving on to the rest of the disc.  That's probably my favorite tune, and I could actually hear it fitting on a FW album.  The album is so solid that I think Jim should consider using one of Mike Abdow's songs on the next FW album and having the rest of the band give it the FW touch.  Congrats to Ray.  He's a legendary progressive metal voice and deserves a little solo success. :)   

Such a great opening track. I love the whole record, and it grows with repeated listens. Abdow and Hernando really crafted songs that fit Ray's voice beautifully.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: November 10, 2019, 11:59:17 PM »
This album is wonderful.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #53 on: November 11, 2019, 05:16:53 AM »
Great album. Enjoying it quite a bit.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #54 on: November 12, 2019, 07:18:08 AM »
Great album. I love the melodies and arrangements a lot. I know Ray is supposed to be the shining star of this album, and really he shines, but if this is Mike's songwriting audition for Fates, I hope Jim listens to this and includes him on the next album. Not that Jim needs any help! But I'd love to hear some of this on Fates as well.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: November 27, 2019, 07:26:42 PM »

Offline Dreammajesty

• mp.com refugee
Re: RAY ALDER – “What The Water Wants” - SOLO ALBUM
« Reply #56 on: November 30, 2019, 02:52:15 PM »
Didn't expect much but it's a grower for sure one of the better albums at the end of this year

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #57 on: April 20, 2020, 02:57:24 AM »
:bump:

Late to the party, but I really like the songs with Abdow - Under Dark Skies, The Road and The Killing Floor are my favorites, and like Milena, I hope this will lead to him writing for Fates in the future. I'm not sold on the material with Hernando though, because the riffing is too generic for my taste, and having two different guitarists/cowriters gives the album a fragmented feel.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #58 on: April 20, 2020, 10:49:48 AM »
Just finished listening to this now for the first time in a while.  Really nice album.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: April 30, 2020, 11:50:13 PM »
I've pretty much been spinning this album nonstop during the quarantine. It gets better and better with every listen. The Abdow/Alder duo seems to be something special. It would be great if future Fates Warning could even incorporate some more Abdow, because I'd love to see what Alder/Matheos/Abdow could do together. I've decided that my favorite song is "The Killing Floor." Abdow's solo is freaking awesome and Ray kills it lyrically and vocally.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: RAY ALDER – Announces sophomore solo album “II”
« Reply #60 on: April 07, 2023, 08:24:51 AM »
RAY ALDER – Announces sophomore solo album “II”

Launches first single/lyric video “This Hollow Shell”
Pre-order started!

Following the fantastic feedback for the first solo album by Fates Warning vocalist Ray Alder “What The Water Wants” back in 2019, InsideOutMusic are pleased to announce the upcoming worldwide release of the follow-up effort “II” on June 9th, 2023.

Once again, just like for the “What The Water Wants” debut, the new album was written with guitarists Mike Abdow (Fates Warning touring member) and Tony Hernando (Lords Of Black) – who both also performed bass guitar on their own songs –, features drummer Craig Anderson (Ignite, Crescent Shield) and was mixed by Simone Mularoni (Rhapsody, Michael Romeo, DGM). Ray Alder’s second album is simply entitled “II”, but in musical terms this is a much more revealing, exploratory piece of work than its predecessor.

Ray Alder checked in with the following comment about “II”, whose cover artwork can be seen above:

“When we wrote the first solo album I wanted to try some different musical styles. I didn’t want it to be really heavy, but more musical with catchy choruses. I think we did a pretty good job on that first one.
But with this new album I wanted the music and lyrics to be darker and heavier. I think Mike did a fantastic job with the music. He listened to what I was saying and thinking musically. Tony knows that I like the big choruses and somewhat traditional sound. And of course Craig did an amazing job on the drums as usual. It's an honor to be able to work with them.

This album is more of a reflection of what I heard going forward as a solo artist. Longer songs, deeper lyrics and really pushing myself vocally. I hope that whoever listens to it enjoys it as much as I did while working on it...”

With the album’s pre-order starting today, you can now check out the opening track “This Hollow Shell” in a lyric-video created by Cloud Music Typography here:
https://youtu.be/mAtTyoNWjxo

Ray Alder added about “This Hollow Shell” as follows:

“’This Hollow Shell’ is the first song to be released from my new solo album “II”. When I first heard this song I knew that it was going to be one of my favorites on the new album. It was dark and moody with tons of changes. It was like a huge blank canvas that I couldn’t wait to begin painting on. In the end it became one of the songs on the album that I am most proud of.”

This is the complete tracklisting of the upcoming album:

RAY ALDER – “II” (51:20)
1. This Hollow Shell (06:02)
2. My Oblivion (04:36)
3. Hands Of Time (06:08)
4. Waiting For Some Sun (04:29)
5. Silence The Enemy (04:41)
6. Keep Wandering (05:51)
7. Those Words I Bled (05:51)
8. Passengers (05:51)
9. Changes (07:45)

“II” is available as limited first-pressing Digipak CD edition with a bonus track (An acoustic version of the opening track “This Hollow Shell”), as Digital Album (Also including the bonus track!) and as LP on 180gr. vinyl, both on unlimited black vinyl as well as on transparent red vinyl in a limited edition of 300x copies, available exclusively via the IOM Webshop and from CM Distro.

You can pre-order the album in its various formats here:
https://rayalder.lnk.to/two

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: April 07, 2023, 10:09:24 AM »
I posted this in the FW thread, but...

Absolutely killer track. Wonderful moodiness, and then a couple kicks to the face at points. Ray hit a homerun with this track for sure. I tweeted at him asking if Mike or Tony wrote the music to it. The solo sounds like Mike.

Really great launch of II. Looking forward to the record.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: April 08, 2023, 06:15:59 AM »
I posted this in the FW thread, but...

Absolutely killer track. Wonderful moodiness, and then a couple kicks to the face at points. Ray hit a homerun with this track for sure. I tweeted at him asking if Mike or Tony wrote the music to it. The solo sounds like Mike.

Really great launch of II. Looking forward to the record.

Really nice song, love the whole tone and atmosphere of it. 

I don't have much to go off but from the solos Mike has done in FW, there's a few little things in this song that I think it's him on the solo too.  Amazing solo also.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #63 on: April 08, 2023, 08:50:53 AM »
like the new song.

The thing I don't often get with him is the lack of mention of his previous solo project Engine. I get that this album is the 2nd album under his own name, but really, Engine was his baby and like a solo series of albums.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #64 on: April 08, 2023, 08:53:02 AM »
Really like those Engine records!

They were modern-sounding but with just the right dose of melancholy, and great vocals from Alder.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: April 10, 2023, 10:31:12 AM »
He played a few Engine songs when he played at Prog Power. I have to admit, I don't remember at the time whether Engine was considered a solo project or if it was indeed a new band they were trying to get off the ground. Either way, enjoy both those records a lot.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #66 on: April 10, 2023, 12:22:16 PM »
He played a few Engine songs when he played at Prog Power. I have to admit, I don't remember at the time whether Engine was considered a solo project or if it was indeed a new band they were trying to get off the ground. Either way, enjoy both those records a lot.

I don't exactly remember either, but my recollection leans more towards it being a band proper.

Listening to Superholic as we speak, btw...

Offline WardySI

« Reply #67 on: April 10, 2023, 09:29:26 PM »
May well be wrong but I recall them promoting Engine as a band not solo.  Might see if I can find some old articles somewhere...

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: April 11, 2023, 04:30:40 AM »
Pretty sure I have an Engine CD.  I don't think I ever listened to it.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: April 11, 2023, 01:52:47 PM »
IIRC, Engine was Ray, Joey Vera on bass, Bernie Versailles on guitar...and don't remember the drummer.

Goes to Wiki...Pete Parada.

Damn good band.