Author Topic: Awake 25th Anniversary  (Read 1425 times)

Offline liquidjo

Awake 25th Anniversary
« on: August 22, 2019, 09:21:57 PM »
Good evening... I’m here at home listening to Awake and just realized that this year (October 4) will be the 25th anniversary of the release .... just sitting here contemplating if they’ll be doing something special that night in Baltimore? and if I should go ahead and buy some tickets?..it would be nice to know.. wouldn’t mind an acoustic set of the of this masterpiece.. ☺️ It’s nice to dream

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
Re: Awake 25th Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2019, 08:06:49 AM »
Oh that's interesting.

I don't think they will necessarily do anything special for the set. At most maybe acknowledge it and play 1-2 songs (maybe a medley).
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2019, 08:14:40 AM »
Maybe I shouldn't speak 'cause so far I haven't even attended the tour and so I don't know what's going on with the recent sets, but I would assume that they're not gonna change the set up for a single night.

If an Awake song is already in the set (don't know and don't wanna know until I see them early next year), maybe they could acknowledge it.... if they even remember it, that's it  ;D (not remembering in the sense that they don't know their own discography, it's just that with so many albums and the focus being SFAM it's easy to not have in your mind every waking moment the exact 25th anniversary of an album)
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2019, 09:41:07 AM »
They did "Lie" on their European run. Not sure if they'll incorporate it into the second leg of the North American tour or not.

25 years is a big deal but do they need to do something special on tour regarding every album's anniversary? Other than just saying something like, "this year marks the 25 anniversary of the release of Awake so here's one from that album called Lie." If they went to lengths to do something crazy special on a tour to commemorate an album's anniversary, it's getting to be a frequent occurance and would be exhausting for the band and maybe for fans. Look at their early discography...

WDADU released 1989. (30 years) They could recognize it this year (they already did on the 15th anniversary)
IAW released 1992 (27 years) They recognized it 2 years ago on IW&Beyond
Awake released 1994 (25 years) Don't know if they did anything special before.
FII released 1997 (22 years) Same as Awake
SFAM released 1999 (20 years) They're doing something now.

Keep in mind SFAM is a special album in DT history, so it makes sense that they're doing this now.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2019, 09:59:58 AM »
As far as I know, the only time DT has done anything special to mark an anniversary of an album was when they did When Dream and Day Reunite to mark the 15th anniversary of WDADU.  Yes, they've done the anniversary tour thing (which has been exhaustively discussed in other threads), but that's a different thing.  It doesn't seem like they're into doing the whole "change things up for a single night" thing like they did when MP was calling the shots.  After all, they didn't do anything special to mark the 10th anniversary of BC&SL when they played in Switzerland on June 23, 2019 (the 10th anniversary of the release of BC&SL).  Did JLB even mention it when they played ANTR?

Admittedly, though, you've now got me wondering what might happen at the October 26 show in Tucson (which will be the 20th anniversary of SFAM's release date).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Ruba

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2019, 10:41:13 AM »

They played the latter half of the album in 2014, which also marked the live debut of Space-Dye Vest. So I'm doubtful they'd be celebrating Awake now, since that was only five years ago.

Offline liquidjo

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2019, 11:44:26 AM »
Oh that's interesting.

I don't think they will necessarily do anything special for the set. At most maybe acknowledge it and play 1-2 songs (maybe a medley).

You’re probably right.  I’ll hold off and wait .  I’d rather prefer them doing it now than later... 30th anniversary is right around the corner.. 

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2019, 01:18:50 PM »
I don’t think they have to acknowledge every album anniversary ever (they have 14 of albums and every couple years is a different album anniversary). They should focus on supporting D/T, and, possibly, changing things up for DT’s 35 years next year, but not for every “important” album from their catalog.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2019, 01:20:50 PM »
They did "Lie" on their European run.

You mean second part of The Mirror, right?  :biggrin:
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline JLa

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2019, 12:21:09 PM »
I doubt they'll even remember unless someone mentions it to them.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2019, 10:24:11 AM »

They played the latter half of the album in 2014, which also marked the live debut of Space-Dye Vest. So I'm doubtful they'd be celebrating Awake now, since that was only five years ago.

Yes, and they released those on BTFW recorded in Boston.  No need to do it again.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White