Author Topic: The Who (live)  (Read 3669 times)

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Who (live)
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2019, 11:37:53 PM »
I did the below list 9 years ago, but it wouldn't look the same now.  Neal Morse and Spock's, for one, are way too low on that list (cannot remember why).  And there are a few artists there I'd leave off and replace with others.  Steven Wilson (solo), XTC, Tears for Fears and Haken would all easily make it now. Looks like I had the Who at 42 back then.

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=12360.msg405747#msg405747

Wow, I was going to mention that I did go through that whole thread by the following weekend, and then life got in the way.  A good read on various artists that I'm not that familiar with. 

As to The Who, I listened to the original one LP 'Live at Leeds' for the first time back in January.  A really disappointing effort, considering the hype it was given by RS.  The later double LP was much better, but still just didn't resonate all that well with me. 
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2019, 05:57:57 PM »
I did the below list 9 years ago, but it wouldn't look the same now.  Neal Morse and Spock's, for one, are way too low on that list (cannot remember why).  And there are a few artists there I'd leave off and replace with others.  Steven Wilson (solo), XTC, Tears for Fears and Haken would all easily make it now. Looks like I had the Who at 42 back then.

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=12360.msg405747#msg405747

Wow, I was going to mention that I did go through that whole thread by the following weekend, and then life got in the way.  A good read on various artists that I'm not that familiar with. 

Which ones? I am guessing the "newer" ones like Death Cab, Wilco, Flaming Lips and The Decemberists.  None of those bands get talked about much around here. :(

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2019, 11:04:44 PM »
As to The Who, I listened to the original one LP 'Live at Leeds' for the first time back in January.  A really disappointing effort, considering the hype it was given by RS.  The later double LP was much better, but still just didn't resonate all that well with me. 

What is this malarky? In seriousness, Live at Leeds usually receives high praise. What did you not enjoy about it?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2019, 09:59:39 AM »
I was (sadly) at this one.  What a cluster all around, but, what a semi wonderful blurred memory looking back now

http://thewholive.net/concert/index.php?GroupID=1&id=474&Jahr=1982

Leeds….it  just didn’t ‘grab’ me.  The Who were hit or miss for me.  Lots of great stuff on ‘Tommy’.  ‘Who’s Next’ is Top 50, easily.  Side Four of ‘Quadraphenia’ is in my top ten album sides (Side 2 ‘Abbey Road’, Side 1 ‘Don’t Look Back’, Side 2 ‘Dark Side of the Moon’, Side 2 of Queen’s ‘Opera’ and ‘Races’, Side 1 ‘Yes Album’ to name a few). I could list other Who releases that hit, many that miss.  ‘Leeds’ didn’t come close to the hype.  Not ‘dissing’, it’s just that it fell short to me. 

(Kev….I’ve actually been to two Decembrist concerts and liked an EP and one album.  Very ‘eclectic’ group)
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2019, 10:02:39 AM »

(Kev….I’ve actually been to two Decembrist concerts and liked an EP and one album.  Very ‘eclectic’ group)

For sure.  Their last few albums have been just okay, but they had a great stretch there in the 00's. Picaresque is a tremendous record.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2019, 10:56:09 AM »
http://thewholive.net/concert/index.php?GroupID=1&id=474&Jahr=1982

Leeds….it  just didn’t ‘grab’ me  ….Not ‘dissing’, it’s just that it fell short to me. 

Thank you for explaining. Fair enough. What was wrong with the 1982 show?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2019, 08:40:14 PM »
Read the review.  It was every bit as bad as described.

Never attended a concert ending that late.  I wanted to leave much earlier, but it wasn't my car (though I drove back).  Add on another couple of hour drive home starting at approximately 230AM, and then......maybe an hour of sleep, ears still ringing, and then a shared office work environment. 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2019, 10:19:08 PM »
New tour started. Setlist looks great, a bit more Quadrophenia and Tommy than the last tour. And an acoustic take on a classic. Can't find any good videos featuring the orchestra on YT yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWuqpTk5ZZM

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2019, 10:11:49 PM »

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2022, 03:13:28 AM »
bump.

Tenacious D did a cool medley

https://www.instagram.com/tv/Cekc6bzsoFC/

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2022, 11:03:24 AM »
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP