Author Topic: R.I.P. Taylor Hawkins  (Read 4701 times)

Offline Glasser

Re: R.I.P. Taylor Hawkins
« Reply #70 on: March 27, 2022, 03:22:31 PM »
Absolutely awful. Such a sweet human too! Scares me because I suffer from a few mental issues such as severe panic disorder, OCD, and crippling anxiety since I was a teenager. 21 years ago while in the hospital suffering a nasty panic attack that felt like a heart attack the doctors put me on klonopin (4 mgs a day). Now I'm literally stuck on this and doctors say its very dangerous to come off safely. I HATE being on this and working with 2 doctors to get me down to a low dose safely. I'm petrified being reliant on this crap. The struggle is real and it breaks my heart to know Taylor was in pain. 💔
« Last Edit: March 27, 2022, 03:45:03 PM by Glasser »

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #71 on: March 27, 2022, 03:33:30 PM »
I was talking the band in general, so the first two albums.  I know the debut was all Dave.

Understood. I didn't, as I was checking their discography on wiki when you mentioned their first two albums, so I was surprised to know he wasn't there from the beginning. As I've said before, I've not really gone deep with the band, so I guess everything is still new to me.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #72 on: March 28, 2022, 01:47:20 AM »
Some bands on tour is already paying tribute to Taylor in their live shows.  My Hero seems like the easy song for the live tributes.

Mammoth WVH - My Hero

Daughtry with Mark Tremonti and Lyell - My Hero

Offline Volante99

« Reply #73 on: March 28, 2022, 02:19:08 AM »
Hell of a drummer- Dave Grohl is a beast on drums in his own right, so obviously you need to be pretty damn special to get that gig. Hawkins had a ton of energy and always delivered the goods. I remember seeing them live and they played for almost 3 hours with no break.

Like them or hate them- Foo Fighters were really the modern torch bearers for Rock/metal in contemporary music. It’s sad to think with their generation slowly passing away, in 20-30 years there won’t be any BIG “rock stars” left. Maybe I’m nostalgic, but it’s tragic to think there won’t be a single rock band that will be able to fill a 15-20k seat arena. It’s up to Gen Z If they want to bring rock back, but I don’t see that happening.

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #74 on: March 28, 2022, 10:45:58 PM »
https://youtu.be/0wut21tZkFY

Here’s a 6 minute clip from the last Foo Fighter’s concert I decided to highlight to show how amazing Taylor Hawkins really was on the skins, in his final performance.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #75 on: March 30, 2022, 10:41:26 AM »
He was a major Rush fan too.  He also did an interview for The Rush Documentary Beyond the Lighted Stage.  RIP  :(
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline svisser

• Pineapple. I like to eat it.
« Reply #76 on: March 30, 2022, 06:32:46 PM »
Foo Fighter's are in my top 5 bands and Taylor is in my top 5 drummers. I loved the guy. I will miss him. Dave must be crushed. I pray the best for him and the rest of the band. First he lost a band leader and friend as a drummer. Now he lost a friend and a drummer as a band leader.
She can turn a drop of water
         Into an ocean
                                           In the room the women come and go
                                                 Talking of Michelangelo.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #77 on: March 30, 2022, 06:57:55 PM »
https://youtu.be/0wut21tZkFY

Here’s a 6 minute clip from the last Foo Fighter’s concert I decided to highlight to show how amazing Taylor Hawkins really was on the skins, in his final performance.

Wow, that was awesome!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #78 on: March 30, 2022, 07:44:47 PM »
Has enough time passed to ask a few questions?

I was watching this video tonight and Taylor's young son is sitting there....and a year later he is without a father.

Look, Taylor was a musical force and a great talent but...

Was he an addict, or did he like to party? Was he addicted to partying?
Did he do drugs when at home off tour?

If he was an addict, who the fuck was in charge of watching him on tour? If being on tour put him at risk, then why was he there, and not at home with his young family?

Apologies if these questions are offensive to anyone. I'm not faulting him for being an addict, if indeed he was one, and I'm not convinced he was, but if he was..fine. But if he was, he seemed to have the biggest support system available to anybody, and it seemed they all looked the other way. Unless in the end, there was nothing they could really do. I just wonder what safeguards were built in to his daily regimen while on tour.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2022, 07:50:22 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline nick_z

« Reply #79 on: March 30, 2022, 07:52:24 PM »
Has enough time passed to ask a few questions?

I was watching this video tonight and Taylor's young son is sitting there....and a year later he is without a father.

Look, Taylor was a musical force and a great talent but...

Was he an addict, or did he like to party? Was he addicted to partying?
Did he do drugs when at home off tour?

If he was an addict, who the fuck was in charge of watching him on tour? If being on tour put him at risk, then why was he there, and not at home with his young family?

He had a very close call in 2001, when he overdosed on heroin - this is talked about quite candidly in the Foo Fighters' Back and Forth documentary (highly recommended, by the way). What breaks my heart is that I was under the impression he had been ok since. But, truly, what do we know from the outside? I guess you never really get past that? Or at least it's extremely rare?

He seemed such a positive, happy guy  :'(

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #80 on: March 30, 2022, 07:54:42 PM »
He had a very close call in 2001, when he overdosed on heroin - this is talked about quite candidly in the Foo Fighters' Back and Forth documentary (highly recommended, by the way). What breaks my heart is that I was under the impression he had been ok since. But, truly, what do we know from the outside? I guess you never really get past that? Or at least it's extremely rare?

He seemed such a positive, happy guy  :'(

Yes, I'm aware of that, but in the interviews I've seen, he chalks it up to bad shit, and not his fault, which is what an addict will do I guess.

Of course, we don't know what was going on in his life, but the overall consensus is that he struggled with addiction, and I guess my inner Stadler is coming out to ask...are we sure about that?

Offline nick_z

« Reply #81 on: March 30, 2022, 07:58:09 PM »

Yes, I'm aware of that, but in the interviews I've seen, he chalks it up to bad shit, and not his fault, which is what an addict will do I guess.

Of course, we don't know what was going on in his life, but the overall consensus is that he struggled with addiction, and I guess my inner Stadler is coming out to ask...are we sure about that?

Not sure, really...maybe in time we'll learn more, directly from the band...in any event, just terrible, terrible stuff.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #82 on: March 30, 2022, 07:59:40 PM »
Yeah, I'm not trying to put blame on him per se. Seems there was enough failure to go around. At the end of the day 3 children are fatherless.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #83 on: March 30, 2022, 08:21:53 PM »
I don't have any personal history with it, but I seem to recall that addicts are often pretty good at hiding it from family and friends, even the ones closest to them, so it is very possible that his close friends and family didn't know he was still taking as much as he was.  For all we know, he was staying sober most of the time on the road, but when he'd be back in his hotel room at night alone, he would hit it hard and wake up the next day and no one was the wiser. 

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #84 on: March 30, 2022, 08:38:33 PM »
I saw a story where he talked about his OD and was not apologizing for it. He actually was saying he likes to do drugs and the OD made him realize he needed to set limits for himself. It sounds like he never stopped and was never sorry for doing it. Was really surprised to read that.

EDIT: Also, not sure if anyone saw it, but the coroner said his heart was twice the size it should of been. He was a time-bomb waiting to explode.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #85 on: March 31, 2022, 12:06:32 AM »
Absolutely awful. Such a sweet human too! Scares me because I suffer from a few mental issues such as severe panic disorder, OCD, and crippling anxiety since I was a teenager. 21 years ago while in the hospital suffering a nasty panic attack that felt like a heart attack the doctors put me on klonopin (4 mgs a day). Now I'm literally stuck on this and doctors say its very dangerous to come off safely. I HATE being on this and working with 2 doctors to get me down to a low dose safely. I'm petrified being reliant on this crap. The struggle is real and it breaks my heart to know Taylor was in pain. 💔

All strength to you, man.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #86 on: April 04, 2022, 12:48:30 AM »
Just some thoughts: The fact that in the grand scheme of things he's just another rockstar gone to soon...  I hate that sentiment because to me even though he played in the biggest rockband today, he never had that status to me. He was always that happy guy that really loved playing drums and he also felt so sweet and humble and kinda shy at times. You could tell he really looked up to Dave and from what i've heard he felt that pressure of being the drummer for "Dave's band". That could not been an easy thing and a part of me wonders if just the pressure of being the drummer in the biggest rockband in the world leads you to taking stuff to calm you down, I mean it gotta be kinda common sadly.

I can't imagine the pressure a gig like that has on you with cameras and cellphones always filming you.
I did a gig yesterday and did a few mistakes but luckily no one gave a shit.  :lol

In all seriousness his passing really made me sad compared to other celebs, knowing he was a loving father. I remember seeing cute clips on his son playing along to his father backstage during gigs.  :heart

https://youtu.be/9oHZiZVLak4

As a drummer and a teacher the thought of that kid losing his biggest inspiration and mentor in life is bigger than the Foos losing their drummer if you know what I mean.

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #87 on: April 04, 2022, 01:45:24 AM »

Apologies if these questions are offensive to anyone. I'm not faulting him for being an addict, if indeed he was one, and I'm not convinced he was, but if he was..fine. But if he was, he seemed to have the biggest support system available to anybody, and it seemed they all looked the other way. Unless in the end, there was nothing they could really do. I just wonder what safeguards were built in to his daily regimen while on tour.

Knowing a lot of people who have gone mainly from complications caused by Alcohol addiction, the bolded sums it up.

There is only so much a person can do, even having a good support system or safeguards is not enough. In the end, it's up to the person how much they want to get better. No one can force a person to do that.

It's also no one's fault, not the people that were his support nor himself. That's how powerful addiction is and it's something that is a personal battle.

I don't have any personal history with it, but I seem to recall that addicts are often pretty good at hiding it from family and friends, even the ones closest to them, so it is very possible that his close friends and family didn't know he was still taking as much as he was.  For all we know, he was staying sober most of the time on the road, but when he'd be back in his hotel room at night alone, he would hit it hard and wake up the next day and no one was the wiser. 

Also this.

Addicts will not want to worry their families or those they care about, so they'll go to the lengths to hide that fact. My brothers sister-in-law is someone who did that very thing. She said she was sober, but she passed away of a heart attack in the shower, they later found out she had alcohol in her system, which she said she was sober. She played off the smell, and hid it well from her spouse.

All the information that was released now makes this situation unfortunate and I have sympathy for his family and those close to him. It sucks knowing that you possibly could've done something more to help a person get better. But, I have learned that as a person, there's only so much you can do to help someone. An addict is also a human, a human that can think for themselves, no one can change that fact. You can give them all the resources they need to get themselves better, but they themselves have to have that will to pursue and utilize them.

At the end of this battle, it's up to the persons own will and strength to fight it. It's one battle that is fought alone. The one thing you can do  best as a person is be there when they fall, be there for them as much as you can, and be understanding. Temptations are out there as well, and if a person does not have a strong will in the presence of those easily accessible temptations, it will get to them where they will say..."Hmm, just one wouldn't hurt." and that "one more" will end up being their last.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #88 on: April 05, 2022, 11:45:19 AM »
This looks like something similar to what happened to Heath Ledger.  Prescription drug interaction combined with recreational use.  Sometimes a deadly recipe.  :(
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #89 on: April 05, 2022, 12:00:03 PM »

Knowing a lot of people who have gone mainly from complications caused by Alcohol addiction, the bolded sums it up.

There is only so much a person can do, even having a good support system or safeguards is not enough. In the end, it's up to the person how much they want to get better. No one can force a person to do that.

It's also no one's fault, not the people that were his support nor himself. That's how powerful addiction is and it's something that is a personal battle.

Also this.

Addicts will not want to worry their families or those they care about, so they'll go to the lengths to hide that fact. My brothers sister-in-law is someone who did that very thing. She said she was sober, but she passed away of a heart attack in the shower, they later found out she had alcohol in her system, which she said she was sober. She played off the smell, and hid it well from her spouse.

All the information that was released now makes this situation unfortunate and I have sympathy for his family and those close to him. It sucks knowing that you possibly could've done something more to help a person get better. But, I have learned that as a person, there's only so much you can do to help someone. An addict is also a human, a human that can think for themselves, no one can change that fact. You can give them all the resources they need to get themselves better, but they themselves have to have that will to pursue and utilize them.

At the end of this battle, it's up to the persons own will and strength to fight it. It's one battle that is fought alone. The one thing you can do  best as a person is be there when they fall, be there for them as much as you can, and be understanding. Temptations are out there as well, and if a person does not have a strong will in the presence of those easily accessible temptations, it will get to them where they will say..."Hmm, just one wouldn't hurt." and that "one more" will end up being their last.

We have a number of people who are far more knowledgeable about this than I am, but it's always been sort of my tacit understanding that willpower isn't enough.   There can be the desire to be clean and sober, but unless something else changes - removing the stressors, changing the environment, replacing the "need" with something else - success isn't that great.  I don't know him well enough, I don't know the details of his inner mind, but that's one of the amazing things to me about Mike; he just seemed to walk away.  I know it wasn't THAT easy, but still.   Taylor was STILL the younger brother playing drums for his idol.  Taylor was STILL touring the world on an arena/stadium level... you know what I mean?   I can't imagine with all that was going on with the Foo Fighters that his stress levels were DECREASING. 

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #90 on: April 05, 2022, 02:13:11 PM »

Also this.

We have a number of people who are far more knowledgeable about this than I am, but it's always been sort of my tacit understanding that willpower isn't enough.   There can be the desire to be clean and sober, but unless something else changes - removing the stressors, changing the environment, replacing the "need" with something else - success isn't that great.  I don't know him well enough, I don't know the details of his inner mind, but that's one of the amazing things to me about Mike; he just seemed to walk away.  I know it wasn't THAT easy, but still.   Taylor was STILL the younger brother playing drums for his idol.  Taylor was STILL touring the world on an arena/stadium level... you know what I mean?   I can't imagine with all that was going on with the Foo Fighters that his stress levels were DECREASING.

Oh I understand all of that. But his love for his passion of music was more important than getting better for himself. That's his decision he made and I do not fault him for wanting to live out his life however he so desired. Even if that environment was stressful. It's what he wanted to do and chose to deal with those desires.

It's all choices and understanding what consequences those decisions can have. He could've decided to get help for himself and postponed the tour for the fans, or the band could've gotten another drummer to tour with them. But Taylor decided to go out in that environment and play for the fans, even though he knows that environment was dangerous for his habits and behavior. And I am sure the band understood that as well, and were there to support him.

It's why he is not at fault, it's why you can't force someone to decide what's best for them. They make that decision on their own because it's their life to live.

It is sad when people make these decisions, but it's their life and I do not fault a person for choosing to go down that path. It's the same as why I don't blame my ex for taking a pill from a random stranger, and dying because of it. It was his decision and he chose that. I am sad he did it, but I dont blame him for making that decision.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #91 on: April 14, 2022, 04:19:58 PM »
Since this aspect of the situation has been brought up and discussed . . .

I was having this discussion on another forum that doesn’t require as much tiptoeing and eggshell-walking; basically my thought being that if Grohl had the right perspective and integrity he’d be using this opportunity for a PSA for kids and young teens or his fans in general about the very real and deadly dangers of messing with these substances. But I suppose his dealer wouldn’t like that. We’ll see what he does, if anything.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #92 on: April 14, 2022, 04:37:48 PM »
Since this aspect of the situation has been brought up and discussed . . .

I was having this discussion on another forum that doesn’t require as much tiptoeing and eggshell-walking; basically my thought being that if Grohl had the right perspective and integrity he’d be using this opportunity for a PSA for kids and young teens or his fans in general about the very real and deadly dangers of messing with these substances. But I suppose his dealer wouldn’t like that. We’ll see what he does, if anything.
I assume you're referring to dealer of Dave? I could have sworn I read somewhere that he said he's been clean since the 90s although he still smokes cigarettes.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #93 on: April 14, 2022, 05:17:17 PM »
Yeah, I can't imagine Dave is keeping his mouth shut about the evils of drugs so as not to piss off some drug dealer.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #95 on: June 08, 2022, 08:03:58 AM »
Damn, Wish I could attend. I hope they live stream it.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #96 on: June 08, 2022, 08:06:47 AM »
My guess would be that they have a rooster of drummers for that gig altough I wouldn't be surprised if Chad Smith played most of it given their friendship.

Then of course Dave might do it himself and sing.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #97 on: June 08, 2022, 08:44:33 AM »
Wow, that's really interesting. I'm pretty sure the Queen guys will guest at the London show.

Probably lots of guests for these concerts.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #98 on: June 08, 2022, 01:07:28 PM »
My guess would be that they have a rooster of drummers for that gig

[TAC]I'm sure there will be some sort of pecking order![/TAC]
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #99 on: June 08, 2022, 01:10:12 PM »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #100 on: June 08, 2022, 02:20:34 PM »

HAHAHAHA