Author Topic: NCAA Football 2019 Thread  (Read 9583 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: NCAA Football 2019 Thread
« Reply #70 on: September 30, 2019, 11:51:32 AM »
Appalachian State wins again!  That win last week against North Carolina looks even better this week lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #71 on: October 05, 2019, 01:24:40 PM »
I expected a big win at home against a bad Purdue team and that's what happened.  Now the season really starts, 5-0 is nice but we didn't beat anyone.  Next three games are against current top 25 teams and 2 of those are on the road.  At the end of October, we will know for sure what kind of team PSU is.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #72 on: October 05, 2019, 10:14:39 PM »
Tough loss for Cal...second string QB, skeleton crew O-line, and walking into the ever dangerous Autzen Stadium to face the No 13 Ducks. Actually shut them out for the first half, can't even think of a time that's happened in recent memory, but the team depth proved too much for our D, they found their cracks and put a few into the zone. Modster, the 2nd string QB, showed some signs of brilliance, and makes me feel a bit more hopeful that our starter will be our for the forseable future. With our toughest game of the season out of the way, lets see what we can make of the rest of the year.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #73 on: October 10, 2019, 07:28:09 AM »
Big win for Appalachian State last night on the road at Louisiana, who was probably the second-best team in the conference.

They should roll through the rest of conference play.  If they can also manage to beat South Carolina, and if Boise State slips, they could be looking at a big New Year's bowl game!  How exciting!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: October 10, 2019, 07:48:54 AM »
I'm worried about this weekend's game at Iowa.  It's a night game and they are doing their stripe out with the crowd.  PSU has beaten Iowa I think 5 times in a row now, so I should feel more comfortable but Iowa has also been known to upset PSU quite often especially at home at night.  Also, easily the toughest game of the season so far so this is a real challenge for our first year QB.  I feel our defense is really really good so I'm not worried about them scoring too much, but I am worried about how much we can score. 

In other news, PSU was featured last night on HBO's new 24/7 College Football show which is similar to Hard Knocks but just focuses on one school for the episode for one week of practice going into a game, which was filmed the week before leading up to the Purdue game last weekend.  I watched some and really enjoyed it, I'll watch the rest tonight.  I really like Coach Franklin, he hasn't been the greatest game day coach (look at all the close losses when leading in the 4th quarter for example) but he comes off as a such a good guy that you'd want to be leading your team. 

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #75 on: October 12, 2019, 11:17:53 PM »
Just checking in to express my fondness for LSU beating Florida. Two top 10 victories and zero games scoring less than 42 points feels quite nice. Really looking forward to the bama game since we finally have an offense to be proud of.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #76 on: October 14, 2019, 09:24:25 AM »
Wow, LSU looks scary good.

Also, really proud of my alma mater Appalachian State, getting ranked # 24 in both major polls.  :metal  And we have a game against South Carolina (the Georgia-slayers) in a few weeks.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 01:08:28 PM by hefdaddy42 »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: October 14, 2019, 11:09:40 AM »
LSU looks really strong, that'll be a good one when they play Bama.

I stumbled into a bar after the Incubus concert in DC and ended up with some PSU alum to watch the end of the Iowa game. Seems it was a big 10 defensive game and I'm glad we came out on top.  First test of the season passed, not with flying colors but a win on the road against a ranked team at night is all I need to be satisfied.  Now Michigan comes on the road at night to PSU and bring on college gameday!

Offline T-ski

« Reply #78 on: October 14, 2019, 11:26:34 AM »
don't know if it's been lack of competition or if Wisconsin is actually this good, but the Badgers have been rolling everyone.

will know in two weeks when they travel to Ohio St.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: October 14, 2019, 11:28:59 AM »
don't know if it's been lack of competition or if Wisconsin is actually this good, but the Badgers have been rolling everyone.

will know in two weeks when they travel to Ohio St.

A mix of both I'd think.  Wisconsin's a good team, are they #6 worthy?  I ask the same thing about PSU being #7 now.  Things will be settled on the field.  Also Minnesota 6-0 out of no where, but also not tested.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #80 on: October 14, 2019, 05:58:37 PM »
Also, really proud of my alma mater Appalachian State, getting ranked # 24 in both major polls.

It'd be awesome if they somehow managed to gradually become a perennial power. I think it'd easily take 10-15 years for it to happen but Howard Schnellenberger did so with Miami and Boise St. flirted with it a decade ago so it seems it's still possible for the have-nots to break through and dine with the blue bloods.

Now Michigan comes on the road at night to PSU and bring on college gameday!

If you leave a tooth under your pillow the night before CGD comes to town, Lee Corso has to say "Fuck" on live TV. There's actually a law.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 06:16:30 PM by black_biff_stadler »
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: October 19, 2019, 10:27:58 AM »
Lee Corso is so hard to listen to, he totally messed up the We Are chant on college gameday, regardless and I am baised here, PSU has the best college gameday atmosphere.

I'm bringing my work phone to the Toto concert tonight to stream the PSU game.  I dont plan on watching, but to check in from time to time.  I'm in the last row so I wouldnt be bothering anyone if I pulled it out to watch for a moment either. 

Offline T-ski

« Reply #82 on: October 19, 2019, 01:25:20 PM »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: October 19, 2019, 01:42:13 PM »
that was a tough loss, I was rooting for Wisconsin there too

Offline dparrott

« Reply #84 on: October 20, 2019, 11:46:41 PM »
CCU/GSO went 3OT and that was overshadowed by UNC/VT 6 OVERTIMES!!!
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #85 on: October 21, 2019, 07:40:39 AM »
CCU/GSO went 3OT and that was overshadowed by UNC/VT 6 OVERTIMES!!!
I watched the UNC game.  No one wanted to win.

I've gotta say I really like the extended OT rule changes.  Once you get to the fifth OT, no more 4 downs from the 25.  You get one play, a 2pt conversion from the 3.  It was pretty cool.  Kind of like going to a shootout in hockey.

Appalachian State becomes the first team from the Sun Belt to win as a ranked team.  Looking forward to the South Carolina game in a couple of weeks.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: October 21, 2019, 07:57:08 AM »
That whiteout atmosphere looked insane last weekend.  Looked like PSU might give up a game after a nice lead so it was really good to see us hold on where as PSU under Franklin has lost those games in the 4th quarter previously.  Michigan State this weekend, we should beat them on paper, but it's on the road and MSU has upset us the last couple years.  Going to be a big challenge, and if they pass that, they get to stay on the road and play a likely 8-0 Minnesota team.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: October 21, 2019, 09:26:00 AM »
Hey, lonestar. Our teams face off this weekend. Are we going to have a friendly bet this year?

Looks like the Bears are pretty banged up on offence (I haven't really been following them closely the last several weeks) but your defense seems up to the task. With Cal's history of knocking down ranked teams, are you looking forward to the game?
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #88 on: October 23, 2019, 09:25:34 AM »
A bet? That depends, am I getting the 21 pts you guys are favored by?  :p

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #89 on: October 23, 2019, 11:26:17 AM »
Illinois had a HUGE win against an undefeated Wisconsin over the weekend.  It was a definite boost for the team and for us fans and alumni.  We'll have to see if it helps them turn the season around...that 3 week schedule of Minnesota/Michigan/Wisconsin was brutal. 

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #90 on: October 26, 2019, 09:23:36 PM »
Not watching the game, thankfully, but it seems Utah is pretty much having their way with Cal.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: October 26, 2019, 09:48:52 PM »
Big 10 is looking good as well as the SEC, so glad to see Notre Dame go down  :yarr

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #92 on: October 26, 2019, 11:11:01 PM »
35-0 after the 3rd, and Cal has a sum total of 60yds passing and 17 rushing. Damn.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: October 27, 2019, 06:40:54 AM »

Dang, I missed that earlier.

35-0 after the 3rd, and Cal has a sum total of 60yds passing and 17 rushing. Damn.

Cal had a decent rushing attack on the first series, then it got pretty well shut down. The reason it showed 17 rushing yards at that point was primarily because the QB was sacked a few times and lost about 35 yards in one possession.

I think Brasch is going to be great at some point, but damn is he young now.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #94 on: October 27, 2019, 08:26:51 AM »
The Big Ten is Ohio State and then it’s everyone else.  Bucky held for just over a half but the obvious talent gap showed the rest of the game.

If the Badgers win out they get a rematch, but I fear the results will be the same.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #95 on: October 27, 2019, 01:35:11 PM »

Dang, I missed that earlier.

Cal had a decent rushing attack on the first series, then it got pretty well shut down. The reason it showed 17 rushing yards at that point was primarily because the QB was sacked a few times and lost about 35 yards in one possession.

I think Brasch is going to be great at some point, but damn is he young now.

They're just way to beat up on both lines to be anywhere near competitive, especially that o-line. Oh well, at least we were ranked for a brief week.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #96 on: October 27, 2019, 04:47:11 PM »
The poll voters pulled their heads out of their asses for one week to finally rank LSU #1 in the AP just so they can drop them 6 spots if they lose to bama. Crazy that LSU, with two top 10 victories, was still ranked behind them despite their only ranked victory being against a #24 Texas A&M who's now unranked with 3 losses.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: October 27, 2019, 05:16:04 PM »
Yup, LSU deserves to be #1, OSU should be #2 but it doesn't matter much as most of this will be settled on the field still  :yarr

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #98 on: October 29, 2019, 08:06:34 AM »
Appalachian State gets a home game against longtime archrival Georgia Southern on Halloween Night on ESPNU, before the game at South Carolina November 9th on ESPN2.  Great to be able to actually watch my team play in these big games!

If they get through those games, and roll through the rest of their conference games undefeated, they could have the makings of a very special season, especially if some of the other Group of Five teams ranked above/around them (SMU, Cincinnati, Boise State, Memphis) could do us a favor and lose between now and the end of the season.  Of course, SMU and Memphis play this week, and Memphis plays Cincinnati at the end of the season.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: October 29, 2019, 01:55:10 PM »
Sadly a 4 team playoff leaves no room for an unbeaten non p5 team.  I just can't see the committee ever even considering it unless everyone else had 2 losses.  Which sucks because I think most people do enjoy seeing those Boise St vs. OKlahoma type games, and more so when there's something on the line other than a glorified scrimmage.  I do hope they go undefeated and say beat the #5 team soundly to make people question a 4 team playoff further. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #100 on: October 29, 2019, 02:18:39 PM »
Sadly a 4 team playoff leaves no room for an unbeaten non p5 team.  I just can't see the committee ever even considering it unless everyone else had 2 losses.  Which sucks because I think most people do enjoy seeing those Boise St vs. OKlahoma type games, and more so when there's something on the line other than a glorified scrimmage.  I do hope they go undefeated and say beat the #5 team soundly to make people question a 4 team playoff further.
True, but the highest ranked Group of 5 team gets a New Year's Day bowl bid.  Which gets us at least one "Boise/Oklahoma" game.

Of course, this year that could equate a Boise/Oklahoma rematch!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: October 29, 2019, 02:21:57 PM »
True, it's certainly a great season, just sucks the system is set up in a way that isn't fair for the occasional Cinderella

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: November 03, 2019, 04:40:24 AM »
Sorry to see that App State dropped one. Tough loss, Hef.

The only other upsets that I can see are SMU (who we all probably suspected wasn't as good as their ranking) and Florida.

Tough victory for the Utes over the Dawgs. Man, I was so impressed with the Huskies preparation and beginning the game playing with pride and intensity. They were probably insulted to have the Utes favored (I would be with their history) on their home field and played like it. But in the end, the relentless play of the Utes looked like it exhausted Washington. Those two 4th quarter drives by Utah were a-typical of their team: lots of rushes, quick strike passes, eat up the clock, grind out the yardage, pound it into the end zone.

Well the part of the season where we have to play programs and teams I respect is over. Now I can truly hate the opponents with UCLA, Arizona and Colorado left to play!  :biggrin:

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #103 on: November 03, 2019, 05:14:10 AM »
Dawgs game out blazing, I thought you guys were fucked. Utes showed some great resilience and tenacity in a bitch of a hostile environment. Things are building up to a hell of a showdown with the Ducks for what will probably be a playoff spot.

Cal thankfully had a bye, we fucking needed it man....

Offline dparrott

« Reply #104 on: November 04, 2019, 01:30:18 AM »
Good wins for Coastal, Southern and Boise St, but EMU and LIU...oof. 
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.