Author Topic: NCAA Football 2019 Thread  (Read 9663 times)

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: NCAA Football 2019 Thread
« Reply #175 on: December 07, 2019, 06:09:08 AM »
Well shit... I was really pulling for the Utes too. Didn't watch the game, but it seems the Ducks were a hit pissed about losing last week. So I guess it's Oregon in the rose bowl and the Utes will get some top tier non playoff game. Oklahoma fans gotta be happy....

Like maybe the Siesta Bowl presented by Massengill?
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #176 on: December 07, 2019, 08:40:34 AM »
And with the Ducks, if they get you on your heels and they're fired up, you're fucked. That team is way to dangerous to even give an inch.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #177 on: December 07, 2019, 08:42:25 AM »
Well shit... I was really pulling for the Utes too. Didn't watch the game, but it seems the Ducks were a hit pissed about losing last week. So I guess it's Oregon in the rose bowl and the Utes will get some top tier non playoff game. Oklahoma fans gotta be happy....

Like maybe the Siesta Bowl presented by Massengill?

:lol

Feel bad for you guys, I was pulling for the Utes if for nothing else than to shit on the playoff system but also for you guys as well here.  Watched the first quarter and it was just as bad as it could get for Utah.  Some good playing in the 3rd to make it interesting and had me watching again but just lost it again.  Another year without the pac12 represented.  Hoping LSU wins today so Georgia doesn't get the SEC with two teams.  I'd rather Oklahoma or Baylor get a shot.  Kind of rooting for Baylor too today.

Also rooting for Ohio State to win and win BIG.  They need to make Wisconsin look like they need to fall in the rankings so they go behind PSU and give PSU the rose bowl.  I'm also at the point where I am rooting for my conference and most think OSU is in with a loss, but I want them to win the championship at this point (unless Baylor makes it, I'll root for them as they are more of a cindarella at this point and coached by a former PSU guy)

As for the bolded above, I'm speaking of football only.  PSU plays OSU in bball at noon in what could be a really solid game.  Screw you buckeyes!  :lol

If things align for PSU vs Oregon in the rose, it will be a nice rematch from 95 when PSU last went undefeated

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #178 on: December 07, 2019, 11:30:26 AM »
Careful what you wish for....

Offline T-ski

« Reply #179 on: December 07, 2019, 07:50:28 PM »
Badgers bullying the Buckeyes in the first half.

I approve.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #180 on: December 07, 2019, 08:08:50 PM »
Badgers bullying the Buckeyes in the first half.

I approve.

Seconded.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #181 on: December 07, 2019, 08:19:13 PM »
I'm shocked by that first half although didnt get to watch.  THe Big 12 game was a good one and I checked out after Georgia started pulling away.  I'll have to wacth this second half now that I'm back home.  Really wanted OSU to win, for personal reasons we all know.  It would be nice for Wisconsin to win because I would say they are one of my favorites in the big 10, but it just won't matter in the big picture (I doubt OSU misses the playoffs and that kind of makes me mad about this system).

Offline T-ski

« Reply #182 on: December 07, 2019, 09:07:30 PM »
Almost a carbon copy of their first meeting.

Ohio St. just has too much talent.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #183 on: December 07, 2019, 11:09:49 PM »
I'd say we're looking at...

(1) LSU vs (4) Oklahoma, (2) Ohio St. vs (3) Clemson.

I think I'm more intrigued by the lower tier games though...lots and lots of serious talent to choose from. And who will end up with the wrath of a playoff-less Bama??

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #184 on: December 08, 2019, 01:17:27 PM »
Not happy that Wisconsin didn't drop below PSU after losing to OSU (both by more than PSU lost to OSU, including their loss to Illinois).  At the end of the day, PSU still goes to a NY6 bowl game against #17 Memphis.  A much more winnable game than Oregon but I always like playing the best to be the best.  Oh well, let's just win and go into next year feeling good. 

Also not entirely sure LSU should be #1, I think it does matter as you'd rather play Oklahoma than Clemson, but it's definitely a close call between LSU and OSU so it's hard to argue against it other than I have my own Big10 bias. 

EDIT:

Committee member said the reason PSU over Utah (they are 11 and the reason why PSU goes to the Cotton over Utah) was because PSU had 2 wins over ranked opponents and Utah had lost their two games against ranked opponents. 
« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 01:23:44 PM by cramx3 »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #185 on: December 09, 2019, 11:22:39 AM »
App State won their conference.  What do they get?

A second straight trip to the New Orleans Bowl to face UAB (*yawn*).  Oh, and they lost their coach to Missouri.

Yay!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #186 on: December 09, 2019, 02:19:58 PM »
Hef, what other bowls does your conference champs usually get invited to? Isn't the New Orleans bowl kinda traditional? I agree that you guys deserve a shot at a bigger named program with a better record than UAB. What would have pleased you more?
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #187 on: December 09, 2019, 02:36:10 PM »
That's part of the unfortunate bowl tie ins it seems.  Unless they were the top ranked non P5 team like Memphis, the NO bowl was always the going to be their destination and since App St seems like a real solid team, seems that might be their yearly destination unless they go undefeated.  It does kind of suck though, I know I wouldn't be happy as a fan.

Some good news for my team, our OC is leaving the program to be head coach at Old Dominion.  It seems almost everyone who follows PSU football has not been a fan of his OC job since being promoted to it after Joe Morehead left to be Miss St head coach and our offense went downhill big time.  He improved a bit this year so I didn't think they'd fire him (plus he is close with Franklin) but him leaving on his own seems like the best for PSU and best for him.  This loss has me saying what Franklin says whenever we land a big time recruit (which we did today as well) except in this case it's losing a coach "we are... better"

I'm warming up to the Cotton Bowl.  We've never played there since I've been a fan, it's the game before the two playoff semis so it sets the slate for a big day of college ball, and it's a team we can beat to get to 11 wins and end the season in the top 10.  I want momentum going into next season because most predicted us to be 8-4 and maybe the 3rd or 4th best in the Big 10 East, but 10-2 and second place was a nice season to build upon for next year with our young QB and WRs.  Our amazing TE is coming back and is 4/5 of the OL.   Our new OC will have experienced weapons on day 1.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #188 on: December 10, 2019, 07:26:23 AM »
Hef, what other bowls does your conference champs usually get invited to? Isn't the New Orleans bowl kinda traditional? I agree that you guys deserve a shot at a bigger named program with a better record than UAB. What would have pleased you more?
I just hate the two-tier division in the FBS.  Too many bowls have tie-ins to make sure average or low-achieving teams from Power 5 schools get spots.  High achieving schools from the Group of 5 schools get the leftovers.  I just don't like it.

It's the same thing in the NCAA tournament.  I would much rather see high win total teams from small conferences get rewarded with tourney bids than the 10th place team from the SEC (or whatever conference) - teams that, by definition, didn't actually achieve anything.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #189 on: December 10, 2019, 11:56:37 AM »
NCAA tournament at least has an automatic bid for every conference.  It's soooo much more fair and makes much more sense when you have things set up that way, it still leaves room for teams with impressive seasons but maybe falter in their conference tournament to still make it as well.  I think the tourney is up to 68 teams now, it's really hard to argue #69 deserves to have a shot for the national championship, but in football, #5 gets left out often unfairly and maybe even up to #12 you can argue those teams are good enough to get a shot.  It's so ridiculous that a handful of people determine it all.  How does Div1AA football have this so much more correct?  :lol

Offline T-ski

« Reply #190 on: December 29, 2019, 08:52:39 AM »
what we learned from the final four games....

...there were only 3 teams worth being there.

OSU/Clemson was a great game.  Can't believe both teams just drove down the field in seconds at the end and if not for the Buckeyes receiver cutting off his route both would have scored most likely.

Can't see LSU losing the championship game.  Just hope its as good as the OSU/Clemson game.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #191 on: December 29, 2019, 10:14:13 AM »
Yea that was a great game which followed a disaster of a playoff game. This does set up an awesome match up.

Happy for PSU to get 11 wins, 42 in 4 years, 3 NY6 games and 2-1 in those, and 1 big 10 championship. James Franklin has done an awesome job loading PSU up with talent to compete at the highest of levels, shaping up next year to be a good shot at making the playoffs. Most people expected PSU to be 9-3 at best.  Also good news is the OC left and we hired the Minnesoate OC who has done a real nice job. I feel like that's a big upgrade for us. Defensive secondary needs to improve to be a playoff team though,  that's the biggest concern but another year of growing and maybe we can make it not just to the top 10 but top 4.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #192 on: December 30, 2019, 09:31:54 PM »
Unfortunately I was unable to watch due to work, but it seemed Cal finished strong today. Looking very forward to next year.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #193 on: December 31, 2019, 07:51:03 AM »
I'm not necessarily picking Clemson to win it all, but I think that anyone who thinks that LSU beats them the way they beat Oklahoma is in for a surprise.

I expect a relatively close game (10 points or less).

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #194 on: December 31, 2019, 09:22:01 AM »
I do too, Clemson proved itself with that gutsy performance against OSU, they might not have been challenged much this year, but that team is good.  Oklahoma was a fraud, this won't be the same.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #195 on: December 31, 2019, 07:13:38 PM »
While the teams are on similar footings, I'm definitely giving an edge to LSU solely on how physical the Clemson-OSU game was. It seemed they were carting fuckers off the field every play.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #196 on: January 01, 2020, 08:01:36 PM »
Tough seeing Wisconsin dominate Oregon yet turning the ball over 4 times costing them the game.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #197 on: January 02, 2020, 07:43:09 AM »
Yea that sucked, the Big 10 overall looked mostly good against their competition (lol Michigan, love seeing them lose) but Wisconsin and Ohio State both blew games where they played better than the other team.  That's how it plays out sometimes sadly. 

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #198 on: January 13, 2020, 07:18:58 PM »
Ok game on, and it looks to be a doozy.

Got a text from my father pre-game... "Officiating crew is from the Pac 12, probably the closest will get to this damn thing..."   My father is wise.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #199 on: January 14, 2020, 06:29:03 AM »
 :lol

I fell asleep once LSU maintained the double digit lead.  Really impressive for Burrow.  Was a pretty solid game to start, but these late starts after two weeks and on a Monday just makes it really hard to stay up and be interested, I almost forgot the game was even happening last night.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #200 on: January 14, 2020, 06:58:24 AM »
Not to mention game running time was over four fucking hours with all the station breaks.  :facepalm:

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #201 on: January 14, 2020, 08:49:16 AM »
I don't know anything about college football, but it looks as though my Steelers are going to have the unfortunate prospect of facing Burrow twice a year for many years to come.