Author Topic: NCAA Football 2019 Thread  (Read 9649 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
NCAA Football 2019 Thread
« on: August 22, 2019, 08:07:15 AM »
The season is very close, the top 25 polls are out:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/rankings

Thoughts and feelings for your team and this season?

It seems like it'll be another year of the Clemson/Bama show overall which is kind of uninteresting at this point, would love to see another team knock those off, but it just seems unlikely.

PSU should have another solid season, but they are not a championship team this year.  New QB means growing pains.  The defense might be really good which will keep them in games and allow them to win more than lose, but I don't see them beating Michigan or Ohio State this year, so if they can get passed Iowa and Michigan State, a 10-2 season is possible, but I think 9-3 or 8-4 may be more likely for the younger team.  9-3 would likely put them around #15 where they sit in the preseason poll so that seems legit to me.

Coach Franklin has pulled in tons of great recruits, some of the best classes ever at PSU, but if his assistant coaches can't coach them up, heads are going to need to roll in the off season.  The talent is too good here to be out coached by Michigan State again this year.  I think that would be the hardest loss again this year if that happens.  The offensive coordinater needs to improve this offense with his young talent.  I don't think Franklin himself is on the hot seat, but he will be pressured to make necessary changes as he did a few years ago (but sadly those coaches went on to become head coaches so that leaves us here).

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
Re: NCAA Football 2019 Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2019, 08:35:00 AM »
Illinois is going to continue to suck.  We haven't had a winning record in a long time.

I love Lovie Smith to death, but he has the same problem that he had when he coached the Bears - you can't do much when you don't have enough talent, or healthy talent.  Illinois hasn't been able to recruit well for years, and our star players continue to have season-ending injuries early on. 

Lovie is in his fourth year of a six-year contract.  At the end of the fifth year, he should have the majority of his own recruits playing for him.  So we'll see how he does in a year or two.  I don't think continuously changing coaches out is the right move for teams, and I would love to see Lovie stay at Illinois.  They just have to start getting better recruits and staying healthy.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2019, 08:47:27 AM »
I'm surprised Lovie isn't able to recruit well for Illinois, you'd think a guy well known for being an NFL head coach would have more success, even at Illinois, than he is having.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2019, 09:41:58 AM »
I'm surprised Lovie isn't able to recruit well for Illinois, you'd think a guy well known for being an NFL head coach would have more success, even at Illinois, than he is having.

They're still coming out of a player mistreatment scandal from the prior head coach (Tim Beckman), who forced players to play while injured, or forced his medical staff to clear players too quickly.  So they hired Loved Smith, which was a great move - he coached for the Bears, 2 hours away in Chicago, and had a connection to the state.  He's also known for being a player's coach and treating his players right.  Perfect scenario.

He just can't seem to build a team and has trouble landing recruits from in-state.  If they can get some success again, then maybe the higher level recruits will follow - I just want a winning season and potential for a bowl game each year.  They'll never contend for the playoffs, which is fine. 

Offline T-ski

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2019, 09:42:16 AM »
should be a solid 8-4 for the Badgers!

Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2019, 01:05:58 PM »
Florida state gonna suck this year probably

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2019, 07:43:29 AM »
Nebraska is going to continue to improve this year now that the lazy culture has been abolished. Plus they have a relatively easy schedule with the quality opponents.  8-10 wins should be very doable this year.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2019, 07:50:30 AM »
Nebraska is going to continue to improve this year now that the lazy culture has been abolished. Plus they have a relatively easy schedule with the quality opponents.  8-10 wins should be very doable this year.

Starting the season ranked 24 in the AP.  Honestly surprised just because they haven't proven themselves yet although they certainly should be better by a decent amount, but it would be nice for the Big10 West to have Nebraska back to where they should be traditionally. 

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2019, 05:02:45 PM »
Go Bears Baby!!!!

So the Golden Bears of California are looking to have one of the best defenses in the country.....and one of the worst offenses. Only time will tell how this will play out in the coming year. Outside of conference play only Ole Miss is anything worth noting. Expecting another return to a mid tier bowl, unless they find a way to put points on the board, then it could be quite exciting.

Let's do this.... :gobears:

Offline dparrott

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2019, 11:28:15 PM »
Next Saturday is CCU vs. EMU.  I'm a fan of both teams, so that'll be fun.

Long Island University renamed themselves the Sharks and have a new look.  I'll keep my eye on them.

Boise State redid their blue turf, it really needed it.

"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2019, 08:26:16 AM »
should be a solid 8-4 for the Badgers!

I hope it’s higher!
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2019, 08:54:02 AM »
My purple and gold, snarling Dogs from Montlake Blvd. are supposed to take the Pac this year. Let's see how much defensive depth we have; as we had to replace like 9 starters. We should be okay. But the really only questionable group are the linebackers. Unfortunately, I'm old, and long ago wore out my knees in Husky stadium, running stairs everyday and bringing the pain on Saturdays. Not to mention I'd used up all my eligibility when I graduated. So, I'm not much help. They'll have to do it without me. Here's to their success. Let's go Huskies.

Bow Down to Washington!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QuWBVymXI08
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2019, 10:20:30 AM »
Appalachian State looks to have another conference championship caliber team, and another bowl game in their future.

They also have games against both North Carolina and South Carolina this season.  It surely would be awesome to get wins against one or both of them.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2019, 10:33:36 AM »
I'm hoping the University of Utah lives up to their preseason ranking. First game this Thursday vs. BYU. We'll see.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2019, 01:29:21 PM »
I'm hoping the University of Utah lives up to their preseason ranking. First game this Thursday vs. BYU. We'll see.

I was thinking the same thing and was surprised to see them so high out of the gate.  The thing about Utah football is that there's always things you can count on - great defense, a good running game, and a stout O-line.  Their weakness is always that they don't usually have any standout receivers, and they haven't had a noteworthy QB since Alex Smith.  Whenever they're ranked quite high, I like the attention they get, but still take it with a grain of salt.

And please, for the love of God, do not lose to the Cougars...

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2019, 01:25:05 PM »

I was thinking the same thing and was surprised to see them so high out of the gate.  The thing about Utah football is that there's always things you can count on - great defense, a good running game, and a stout O-line.  Their weakness is always that they don't usually have any standout receivers, and they haven't had a noteworthy QB since Alex Smith.  Whenever they're ranked quite high, I like the attention they get, but still take it with a grain of salt.

And please, for the love of God, do not lose to the Cougars...

I have three grandchildren, two of which are nine-year-olds, that have never witnessed a BYU victory vs. the Utes.  :biggrin:
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2019, 02:21:32 PM »
Coach Franklin under a bit of heat as a former team doctor is suing the school because he said Coach pushed back on him to let players get back on the field.  Well, sooo many players came on to support Franklin including Barkley.  That helps bury the story a bit as it seems this is a fired doctor who is probably looking for a cash grab, but also is making the school/team look bad.  I'm glad Barkley came out for support as he is the biggest name associated with Franklin's time at PSU.

Idaho tomorrow, should be a 40+ point blow out.

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2019, 02:45:49 PM »
Coach Franklin under a bit of heat as a former team doctor is suing the school because he said Coach pushed back on him to let players get back on the field.  Well, sooo many players came on to support Franklin including Barkley.  That helps bury the story a bit as it seems this is a fired doctor who is probably looking for a cash grab, but also is making the school/team look bad.  I'm glad Barkley came out for support as he is the biggest name associated with Franklin's time at PSU.

I'm trying not to be a homer on this one, but I'm also a bit skeptical.  Maybe having been on the receiving end of a fabricated whistleblower complaint after terminating someone has biased my view a bit...
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2019, 02:52:39 PM »
It just has a lot of that smell to it with you look closely, which as a PSU fan, I will, but of course the headlines are harsh and I'm just happy it's not looking to be true because Franklin has been a fantastic recruiter and head coach, does and says all the right things, except in the 4th quarter of close games, so he's really likeable but if this were to be true it would be hard to support him.  It just so far doesn't seem like anything else that goes on between coach and doctor.  This doctor just happened to get fired.  Also, PSU has had a few players unable to play for loooong time... aka Tommy Stevens who should have been the starting QB this year but is now starting for Miss State.  Guy couldn't get cleared to play at PSU.  :huh:

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2019, 08:14:52 PM »
Golden Bears are 1-0 after holding off a mighty effort by the Aggies of UC Davis....

Focusing on the Oregon-Auburn game....

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2019, 08:31:22 PM »
Florida state gonna suck this year probably

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2019, 09:56:12 PM »
PSU won 79-7... great game... honestly, I expected a 45-0 type game so Im glad they delivered, but these types of games just make no sense for the sport overall

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2019, 09:42:28 AM »
PSU won 79-7... great game... honestly, I expected a 45-0 type game so Im glad they delivered, but these types of games just make no sense for the sport overall

These matchups occasionally make sense...just ask App State or Ga Southern :)
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2019, 07:24:20 AM »
Huskers struggled mightily on Offense this week against a pretty weak opponent. The pre-season hype machine was getting out of hand so it may not be a bad thing to come back down to reality.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2019, 09:25:15 AM »
App State won big in the debut of a new head coach.  Longtime coach Jerry Moore (see: Michigan upset) was there for pregame festivities as well.  Nice.

Also, glad to see the Return of the Mack for UNC against the Gamecocks. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2019, 09:36:25 AM »
Illinois beat up on Akron.  Whoo!  1-0.   NATIONAL CHAMPS THIS YEAR!   :lol   Lost a player to a season-ending injury though.  What else is new?  Up next is Connecticut and Eastern Michigan.

Though when they hit the Big-10 schedule, it's going to be tough.  Nebraska/Minnesota/Michigan/Wisconsin, all in a row. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2019, 10:12:12 AM »
Ain't nothing easy about hitting the big10 schedule other than Rutgers plus it's a 9 game conference schedule, I feel like that gets forgotten when people discuss strength of schedule.

PSU plays Buffallo on Saturday Night while I'll be at progpower so not sure how much if any ill be able to catch but that should be another easy win albeit not as easy since Buffalo is better than Idaho.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2019, 11:48:46 PM »
10:45pm here on the West Coast on Saturday night, decided to check the result of the UW game (curiosity for my alma mater). I see it is 0-0, with 3:33 left to go.... in the first freaking quarter! Who the hell is watching this game? I know the whole "the national media ignores teams on the West Coast" complaint can get tiresome, but Jesus Balls I would too if a game started at my local time of 1:00AM!!!!!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2019, 12:43:09 AM »
10:45pm here on the West Coast on Saturday night, decided to check the result of the UW game (curiosity for my alma mater). I see it is 0-0, with 3:33 left to go.... in the first freaking quarter! Who the hell is watching this game? I know the whole "the national media ignores teams on the West Coast" complaint can get tiresome, but Jesus Balls I would too if a game started at my local time of 1:00AM!!!!!

geeze, just got back from progpower and see its halftime  :rollin almost quarter to 3am here

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2019, 07:57:23 AM »

There was like a two hour weather delay in the game, which never helps a 7:30 start anyways.

But you can't argue with those results.... Hey Tempus... :gobears:

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2019, 09:56:51 AM »

There was like a two hour weather delay in the game, which never helps a 7:30 start anyways.

After I typed my post I wondered if the game was in SEA and the weather delayed it. I am about 20 miles north of Seattle and from 9p-930p or so the thunder and lightning here where crazy, I can't recall the last time we had a storm like that.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2019, 10:11:51 AM »
Yeah, but let's ignore the late start and focus on Cal upsetting the Huskies in Seattle!!! Roll on you Bears....

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2019, 09:54:07 AM »
Yeah, but let's ignore the late start and focus on Cal upsetting the Huskies in Seattle!!! Roll on you Bears....

I'm looking forward to when the Utes play Cal at your place in October, lonestar. Always a fun game against the Bears!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2019, 07:33:45 PM »

I'm looking forward to when the Utes play Cal at your place in October, lonestar. Always a fun game against the Bears!

For sure...if Cal's D plays like they did Saturday, we stand a chance against pretty much anyone. As long as there's no injuries, it's gonna be an interesting year...