Author Topic: Worst album of your favorite band/artist?  (Read 7039 times)

Offline Snow Dog

Worst album of your favorite band/artist?
« on: August 20, 2019, 09:35:25 AM »
To piggyback from the “Worst song...” thread, what about albums? Which set collections of songs are so bad in your view that hearing them once was one time too many? Or is decent but just the weakest release in an otherwise strong catalog. Might be some interesting choices here.

To start:
Rush - Caress of Steel, Signals
Dream Theater - Black Clouds...
Threshold - Extinct Instinct
Pagan’s Mind - God’s Equation
Evergrey - Monday Morning Apocalypse through Glorious Collision
Fireflight - Innova

Offline MirrorMask

Re: Worst album of your favorite band/artist?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2019, 09:42:30 AM »
Iron Maiden - No Prayer for the Dying or Virtual XI
Dream Theater - When Dream and Day Unite I guess
Savatage - Fight for the Rock
Helloween - Chameleon
Metallica - St. Anger
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2019, 10:28:09 AM »
Rush:  Grace Under Pressure

So bad it warrants it's own post, undiluted by other bands' messes.  I actually don't usually put it at last on my Rush album rankings (probably Rush or Test For Echo) but for the time, and given what surrounds it, it's a dreadful misstep. 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2019, 10:29:01 AM »
Rush - Roll the Bones
Dream Theater - Systematic Chaos
Fates Warning - FWX
Iron Maiden - No Prayer for the Dying
Metallica - Load (I say this with recognition that what came after might be worse, but this was the album that killed a juggernaut)
Judas Priest - Turbo or Nostradamus
Yes - Big Generator or Talk
Triumph - The Sport of Kings
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2019, 10:35:17 AM »
Kiss:  Crazy Nights
Deep Purple:  Come Taste The Band
DT: WDADU (if that's too obvious, then The Astonishing)
Genesis: the first one (if that's too obvious, then... not sure, probably Calling All Stations)
Yes: Open Your Eyes
Marillion: This Strange Engine (though Somewhere Else is frighteningly close).

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2019, 10:41:27 AM »
Marillion - Somewhere Else or Sounds That Can't Be Made (splitting hairs)
Kevin Gilbert - The Kaviar Sessions
Fates Warning - Darkness in a Different Light
Rush - Snakes and Arrows
King's X - Black Like Sunday
Genesis - From Genesis to Revelation
Yes - Union or Heaven and Earth (splitting hairs)
Dream Theater - The Astonishing
Pain of Salvation - Road Salt 1
The Dear Hunter - Migrant
dredg - Chuckles & Mr. Squeezy
Ours - Ballet the Boxer I or New Age Heroine II (splitting hairs)
Pink Floyd - The Endless River

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2019, 10:45:53 AM »
Rush:  Test For Echo

So bad it warrants it's own post, undiluted by other bands' messes.  I actually don't usually put it at last on my Rush album rankings (probably Vapor Trails or Hold Your Fire) but for the time, and given what surrounds it, it's a dreadful misstep.

agreed
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2019, 11:05:00 AM »
DT: everything apart from ADTOE and DT12 (TA is executed rather well, so it's exempt)
Yes: Union and probably TFTO (although I may turn out to like these too at some point, who knows)
Toto: Toto XIV (unfortunate, because the songs are great as ever, the drumming ruins it)
Steely Dan: Everything Must Go, Can't Buy A Thrill and Countdown To Ecstasy (same as with Toto)

that's all I can think of now, some of my other favourite artists didn't release an album I don't like (Kraftwerk and Sade, among others)
Edit: some other ones that came to mind just now:

Muse: Showbiz and Origin Of Symmetry (again, I may like these at some point)
Genesis: probably Tresspass (not a bad album IMHO, just one I rarely listen to)
Kate Bush: every album after The Sensual World (she lost her power as a singer by then, especially painfully evident on her live album that came out fairly recently. It hurts.)

« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 01:19:23 PM by Max Kuehnau »
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2019, 11:35:26 AM »
Marillion - Somewhere Else or Sounds That Can't Be Made (splitting hairs)
Kevin Gilbert - The Kaviar Sessions
Fates Warning - Darkness in a Different Light
Rush - Snakes and Arrows
King's X - Black Like Sunday
Genesis - From Genesis to Revelation
Yes - Union or Heaven and Earth (splitting hairs)
Dream Theater - The Astonishing
Pain of Salvation - Road Salt 1
The Dear Hunter - Migrant
dredg - Chuckles & Mr. Squeezy
Ours - Ballet the Boxer I or New Age Heroine II (splitting hairs)
Pink Floyd - The Endless River

I actually like Onion, but I forgot Heaven And Earth.  That's abysmally disappointing.

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2019, 11:39:00 AM »
DT: everything apart from ADTOE and DT12 (TA is executed rather well, so it's exempt)

You dislike every Dream Theater album except for two or three, yet they're one of your favorite bands? :lol
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2019, 12:14:20 PM »

You dislike every Dream Theater album except for two or three, yet they're one of your favorite bands? :lol
not every aspect of these albums, but I don't listen to the MP era ones nearly as often as the other ones. (FII is my least favourite of the MP era though) Hope this will clarify some things.

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2019, 12:17:09 PM »

So bad it warrants it's own post, undiluted by other bands' messes.  I actually don't usually put it at last on my Rush album rankings (probably Caress of Steel or Snakes and Arrows) but for the time, and given what surrounds it, it's a dreadful misstep.

Meanwhile, Grace Under Pressure is one of my favorite synth era albums along with Power Windows. It’s not perfect, but it’s still strong in my book. I’d say the same thing you did about Signals, though. Apart from Subdivisions and Losing It, it’s largely forgettable for me. And, like Kattelox, I changed the albums in your parentheses to reflect my own opinion. I totally skipped Snakes and Arrows in my list above. I’ve railed on that one here several times in the past, so I’ll spare it this time.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2019, 12:21:12 PM »
Rush - Test for Echo (that was easy)

For other favorites:

Porcupine Tree - On the Sunday of Life
Neal Morse - Lifeline
Dream Theater - Systematic Chaos
Pink Floyd - Ummagumma (studio disc only)
Devin Townsend - Physicist
The Flower Kings - The Sum of No Evil

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2019, 12:21:30 PM »
Meanwhile, Grace Under Pressure is one of my favorite synth era albums along with Power Windows. It’s not perfect, but it’s still strong in my book. I’d say the same thing you did about Signals, though. Apart from Subdivisions and Losing It, it’s largely forgettable for me. And, like Kattelox, I changed the albums in your parentheses to reflect my own opinion. I totally skipped Snakes and Arrows in my list above. I’ve railed on that one here several times in the past, so I’ll spare it this time.

What are you talking about? Those were his words!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2019, 12:21:41 PM »
TO put p/g in perspective, I LOVE Signals and really like Power Windows (side two is a drag though), so while I've (slightly) warmed to p/g over time, it's still SUCH a letdown from Signals.   

My top Rush albums rotate, but from a pool of AFTK, Hemispheres, MP, Signals, and Presto.   I really like parts of Caress Of Steel (Fountain is excellent, as is Bastille Day, though I could do without Lakeside Park and I Think I'm Going Bald, despite it's origins).

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2019, 12:22:18 PM »

So bad it warrants it's own post, undiluted by other bands' messes.  I actually don't usually put it at last on my Rush album rankings (probably Rush or Test For Echo) but for the time, and given what surrounds it, it's a dreadful misstep.
strangely enough, I like some of Neil's lyrics and some (or probably even most) of the songwriting on 80s Rush albums, Grace Under Pressure included (another band of which I love every album, not necessarily Neil's drumming in every case but everything else)
Manhattan Project is another one of these great Neil lyrics IMHO

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2019, 12:29:49 PM »

What are you talking about? Those were his words!

Oops. My bad. Missed that his post was quoted, which of course is always verbatim and impossible to alter. :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2019, 12:39:24 PM »
All you fools that have posted their Rush album forgot the self titled.  Sorry but all the other albums are better than that.  I never listen to it and I'm a Rush nut.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2019, 12:42:43 PM »
All you fools that have posted their Rush album forgot the self titled.  Sorry but all the other albums are better than that.  I never listen to it and I'm a Rush nut.

The first Rush album is pretty damn good. I'm surprised you feel that way.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2019, 12:44:22 PM »
I'm bored by it.  It's unlistenable in my book now. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2019, 12:44:51 PM »
Pain Of Salvation - Road Salts.
Metallica - Death Magnetic

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2019, 12:45:41 PM »
I call it their "Greta Van Fleet" album :D

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2019, 12:45:48 PM »

But you're not bored by Power Windows? Test For Echo? Caress Of Steel? Snakes & Arrows?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2019, 12:58:13 PM »
Nope, nope, nope & nope.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2019, 12:59:15 PM »
I like Test for Echo.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2019, 01:23:10 PM »

Yeah, count me among those who don't get it either.  :dunno:

Anyhow, I'll throw out a couple that haven't been done yet.

Queensryche:  Dedicated To Chaos.  Just...what were they thinking?  I might also include Q2K as an album I don't really care for, outside of a couple of songs.  They definitely had some misfires on most of the other post-HITNF Tate albums, but there was still plenty to like on most of them. 

Def Leppard:
-Adrenalize:  At the time, there were enough songs I thought were decent that I didn't hate it.  But it definitely raised some red flags.  And in retrospect, it is now easy to see it as the beginning of a big decline for me.  And going forward, they slipped from being my favorite band. 
-Slang:  Looking back, I can kinda see what they were going for.  But this album was a total miss. 
-X:  I felt that Euphoria was a complete return to form.  The fans demanded that the band get back to what they do best, and it is pretty clear that the band heard the message loud and clear, even if Euphoria may not have been quite near the height of the band's golden age.  X stayed in that general sonic territory, but was just bland and totally forgettable. 

I don't really count Yeah!, since it is a covers album.  And although Sparkle Lounge wasn't great, I get what they were going for, and it was an experiment that yielded some fun songs.  Unfortunately, I never got around to getting the s/t album from 2015, so I can't comment on that one.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2019, 01:29:44 PM »

Queensryche:  Dedicated To Chaos.  Just...what were they thinking?  I might also include Q2K as an album I don't really care for, outside of a couple of songs.  They definitely had some misfires on most of the other post-HITNF Tate albums, but there was still plenty to like on most of them. 

Def Leppard:
-Adrenalize:  At the time, there were enough songs I thought were decent that I didn't hate it.  But it definitely raised some red flags.  And in retrospect, it is now easy to see it as the beginning of a big decline for me.  And going forward, they slipped from being my favorite band. 
-Slang:  Looking back, I can kinda see what they were going for.  But this album was a total miss. 
-X:  I felt that Euphoria was a complete return to form.  The fans demanded that the band get back to what they do best, and it is pretty clear that the band heard the message loud and clear, even if Euphoria may not have been quite near the height of the band's golden age.  X stayed in that general sonic territory, but was just bland and totally forgettable. 

I don't really count Yeah!, since it is a covers album.  And although Sparkle Lounge wasn't great, I get what they were going for, and it was an experiment that yielded some fun songs.  Unfortunately, I never got around to getting the s/t album from 2015, so I can't comment on that one.
I've listened to the s/t one when I visited friends some time ago and all I can remember is that I like the earlier ones quite a bit more (up to and including Hysteria), I don't think anyone missed anything by not listening to s/t Def Leppard. I don't own it to this day either bosk, like you.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2019, 01:32:53 PM »
Metallica - St. Anger
Dream Theater - Black Clouds and Silver Linings
Neal Morse - Momentum
“Weird Al” Yankovic - Mandatory Fun or Polka Party
Green Day - Warning
311 - Soundsystem
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2019, 01:34:01 PM »

The first Rush album is pretty damn good. I'm surprised you feel that way.

Meh...

Working Man deserves every bit of praise it gets, but it goes downhill from there.

Finding My Way and What You're Doing are no better than good (although there are some great live versions of FMW).

In the Mood is kischy and fun, but it's certainly nothing great.

The rest of the album is pretty forgettable.  Need Some Love's only saving grace is that it's only 2:16.  Take a Friend is pretty dumb.  I can barely remember what Here Again and Before and After sound like, although I recall that one or the other is a monotonous blues dirge.

But I'd take the s/t on a loop for days over Roll the Bones (and most of GUP, side 2 of PoW and most of HYF).

not every aspect of these albums, but I don't listen to the MP era ones nearly as often as the other ones. (FII is my least favourite of the MP era though) Hope this will clarify some things.

Still not following.  The thread asks for the worst album by your favorite band, and you're saying that 11 of 14 DT albums are its worst.  I suppose that could mean that you think ADTOE and DT12 are the best and everything else comes next in no particular order, but I'm not sure that's what you meant.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2019, 01:37:36 PM »

Def Leppard:

I've listened to the s/t one when I visited friends some time ago and all I can remember is that I like the earlier ones quite a bit more (up to and including Hysteria), I don't think anyone missed anything by not listening to s/t Def Leppard. I don't own it to this day either bosk, like you.

Listening to it now.  So far, it's not bad.  Hard to say where I'd rank it, since I'm only a few songs in on my first listen ever.  But based on what I'm hearing so far, even if it ends up not ranking very high, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't put it among a list of "worst." 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2019, 01:42:27 PM »
OK, so: DT is one of my favourite bands. I own all the albums. ADTOE and DT12 are ones I listen to regularly. All the other albums have aspects that I don't enjoy. Do I not like all of these albums? No and I still listen to these,though not regularly. I really don't like FII and I almost never listen to FII. What I will say is that I'm not a fan of MP's drumming at all, but I mostly like the songwriting (although not on FII and not Take The Time). That's all for now (and in case anyone is interested, I updated my post with Muse, Genesis and Kate Bush. I'll elaborate if you want.)

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2019, 02:10:25 PM »
Dream Theater: When Dream and Day Unite
Diablo Swing Orchestra: The Butcher's Ballroom (still good tho)
Muse: Drones
iamthemorning: All of them are 5/5 tbh soooo Miscellany? I guess?
Ne Obliviscaris: Citadel (still good tho)
Taylor Swift: Self-titled
Haken: Vector
Epica: The Quantum Enigma
Ayreon: Either The Final Experiment or Actual Fantasy
The Dear Hunter: Migrant or maybe one of the color EPs

Honestly that could be the Dream Theater fanbase motto.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2019, 02:16:36 PM »
Dream Theater: When Dream and Day Unite
Diablo Swing Orchestra: The Butcher's Ballroom (still good tho)
Muse: Drones
iamthemorning: All of them are 5/5 tbh soooo Miscellany? I guess?
Ne Obliviscaris: Citadel (still good tho)
Taylor Swift: Self-titled
Haken: Vector
Epica: The Quantum Enigma
Ayreon: Either The Final Experiment or Actual Fantasy
The Dear Hunter: Migrant or maybe one of the color EPs

Honestly that could be the Dream Theater fanbase motto.
I would agree (also in that: Who hates bands more than their own fans? No one. Quite the dichotomy isn't it? Same as with Star Wars apparently) and that is a side effect of being turned into more and more demanding fans over time. I'm sure that happened with DT fans over time too. I certainly can say it was like that in my case. (I know I'm not innocent in that regard.) I do try to enjoy what I'm given. Sadly it doesn't always work.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2019, 02:49:07 PM »
I do try to enjoy what I'm given. Sadly it doesn't always work.

And as I recall, you are German, right?  Which means that you sound like you hate everything, even if you don't.  :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2019, 02:51:25 PM »
I do try to enjoy what I'm given. Sadly it doesn't always work.

And as I recall, you are German, right?  Which means that you sound like you hate everything, even if you don't.  :lol

:lol Reminds me of that Dana Carvey bit about Germans who say nice things