Author Topic: S2N instrumental version  (Read 2491 times)

Offline LKap13

S2N instrumental version
« on: August 19, 2019, 01:03:42 PM »
I love S2N but I find it to be a song that is better as an instrumental than with vocals. For some reason the vocals feel a bit misplaced and bring the song down a notch despite the fact that the music under them is great. Anyone else feel that way?

Here's a link to the instrumental version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTQcJ9BWPmc

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
Re: S2N instrumental version
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2019, 01:18:09 PM »
I disagree with your take. The song was meant to have vocals. It's still a good piece, but it feels like it's missing the driving melody without vocals.

But that's just me.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 01:28:22 PM by Vmadera00 »
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2019, 01:21:51 PM »
Vocals are absolutely pivotal to any song that has them. And S2N is one of the best songs vocally and lyrically on the entire album. You're taking a vitally important element of the song out, and the song will suffer as a result.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2019, 02:34:28 PM »
Vocals are absolutely pivotal to any song that has them. And S2N is one of the best songs vocally and lyrically on the entire album. You're taking a vitally important element of the song out, and the song will suffer as a result.
I agree (and this applies to all the pieces on D/T IMHO, Out Of Reach would be another example and PBD as well, if I were to name a few other ones)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2019, 02:41:37 PM »
S2N was the song that surprised me the most as far as how it started (fast paced), how it progressed to a very Rush-esque song (with Petrucci mirroring Lifeson signature chord playing), and the chorus is just phenomenal. Sounded very fresh and original to my ears but still keeping the DT sound. Probably my 2nd favorite behind At Wit's End, which follows the more traditional DT song structure. The vocals in S2N play a big part in this song to my ears.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2019, 02:44:29 PM »
S2N was the song that surprised me the most as far as how it started (fast paced), how it progressed to a very Rush-esque song (with Petrucci mirroring Lifeson signature chord playing), and the chorus is just phenomenal. Sounded very fresh and original to my ears but still keeping the DT sound. Probably my 2nd favorite behind At Wit's End, which follows the more traditional DT song structure. The vocals in S2N play a big part in this song to my ears.
the introductory measures have the "DNA" of Rush in them too though IMHO (think Anthem and/or some other really early Rush piece I can't name right now)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2019, 02:58:12 PM »
I agree with all of what has been said the last few posts.  Taking vocals out of a song does not make the song better.  To me, hearing an instrumental version of a song is nothing more than a cool once-off or twice-off experience.  It's cool to hear some of the instrumental nuances that aren't so clear when the vocals are there, and can help appreciate some parts more.  But after that, I have no desire to revisit an instrumental of a song that has such a huge, vital piece missing.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2019, 04:30:20 PM »
^Agreed.  This kind of makes me wonder what an LTE song would be like with lyrics.  ???  :lol
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2019, 04:47:42 PM »
I agree with all of what has been said the last few posts.  Taking vocals out of a song does not make the song better.  To me, hearing an instrumental version of a song is nothing more than a cool once-off or twice-off experience.  It's cool to hear some of the instrumental nuances that aren't so clear when the vocals are there, and can help appreciate some parts more.  But after that, I have no desire to revisit an instrumental of a song that has such a huge, vital piece missing.
Well said. You summed up my feelings perfectly.

^Agreed.  This kind of makes me wonder what an LTE song would be like with lyrics.  ???  :lol
Too busy.  :P  Actually, it would probably sound an awful lot like DT with someone on vocals.

The thing is, LTE songs (and instrumental DT songs) are written specifically where the instruments carry the driving lead melody throughout the song. When DT (and most if not all other bands) write songs with vocals, they intentionally leave space open for the vocals, as is pretty evident from this instrumental version of S2N.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2019, 07:40:05 PM »

I almost completely agree with you.  There is one DT song I sometimes prefer as an instrumental and that's Beneath the Surface.

Not being a Rush fan, I didn't know it had a Rush feel, but it also very much surprised me when I first heard it.  I really love the effect that is on James' voice and initially I thought there was a guest vocalist helping sing parts of the song.  I also really love the lyrics and the outro is amazing! :metal  It is in my top 3 songs on the album.
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Offline Volante99

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2019, 11:04:39 PM »
The song definitely sounds better to me with vocals. But I also think this song has one of the better vocal melodies on the album.

I WILL say the instrumental track makes me appreciate Mangini more. He’s totally playing his ass off here. Myung too. Unfortunately, it also reinforces how much I really reeeally dislike the album production.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2019, 12:06:04 AM »
The song definitely sounds better to me with vocals. But I also think this song has one of the better vocal melodies on the album.

Huh, I think the vocal melodies are some of the weakest on the album. And this:

It's cool to hear some of the instrumental nuances that aren't so clear when the vocals are there, and can help appreciate some parts more.  But after that, I have no desire to revisit an instrumental of a song that has such a huge, vital piece missing.

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2019, 08:57:01 AM »

I almost completely agree with you.  There is one DT song I sometimes prefer as an instrumental and that's Beneath the Surface.

Yeah, I'm not saying there might not be exceptions to the rule.  Just stating the general "rule," that's all.

I WILL say the instrumental track makes me appreciate Mangini more. He’s totally playing his ass off here. Myung too.
Totally.  And that kind of thing is what I was getting at when I said that it is a cool novelty that I can enjoy once or twice.  I actually do find it VERY cool to listen to instrumental tracks to be able to pick up on these sorts of things that I might not otherwise hear.  It's just that, after doing that once or twice, I don't have any desire to revisit it.  I would rather go back to the full track with that new appreciation of those little gems.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline MarkFitDT

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2019, 11:35:32 AM »

Agree completely, love the vocal melodies on this song.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2019, 12:17:26 PM »

Yeah, I'm not saying there might not be exceptions to the rule.  Just stating the general "rule," that's all.

I WILL say the instrumental track makes me appreciate Mangini more. He’s totally playing his ass off here. Myung too.
Totally.  And that kind of thing is what I was getting at when I said that it is a cool novelty that I can enjoy once or twice.  I actually do find it VERY cool to listen to instrumental tracks to be able to pick up on these sorts of things that I might not otherwise hear.  It's just that, after doing that once or twice, I don't have any desire to revisit it.  I would rather go back to the full track with that new appreciation of those little gems.
I'm sure JM and Mike had fun recording S2N, they lock really well on this piece (and all the others too on D/T of course, not as much as on DT12 though IMHO)

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2019, 12:36:59 PM »

I'm sure JM and Mike had fun recording S2N, they lock really well on this piece (and all the others too on D/T of course, not as much as on DT12 though IMHO)

I'm sure JM was the happiest of them all while making this album. It's what he's been wanting to do according to the Scenes DVD commentary.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2019, 01:46:47 PM »

This song has all the energy of the most energetic songs from WDADU.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2019, 02:12:34 PM »
Kinda funny how your brain automatically fills in the missing lyrics and vocal melodies when listening to the instrumental version.  Karaoke anyone?  :lol
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2019, 06:13:45 PM »
As a casual musician, I really appreciate the instrumental versions so I can focus on the music from another frame of mind.  I'm glad Dream Theater puts these out, which I'm more than happy to buy via the artbook release of the album.

Offline fischermasamune

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2019, 12:03:28 AM »
As much as I like listening to DOT in its entirety, lately I have been listening a lot of the instrumental version of the album, from start to end, and on repeat. Each time I discover something new. I think that it has enough musical wealth and diversity to be interesting on its own. Even after dozens (but not hundreds) of full listens, I'm far from bored of it.

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2019, 08:25:31 PM »
As much as I like listening to DOT in its entirety, lately I have been listening a lot of the instrumental version of the album, from start to end, and on repeat. Each time I discover something new. I think that it has enough musical wealth and diversity to be interesting on its own. Even after dozens (but not hundreds) of full listens, I'm far from bored of it.

You convinced me to listen to the instrumental version of the album.  And you're right!  There are a lot of musical tid bits that you miss on the regular version of the album.  I don't think I'll do this very often but it has given me a new perspective on the music.
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Offline fischermasamune

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2019, 10:15:13 PM »
You convinced me to listen to the instrumental version of the album.  And you're right!  There are a lot of musical tid bits that you miss on the regular version of the album.  I don't think I'll do this very often but it has given me a new perspective on the music.

Others I frequently go back to are the instrumental version of Images & Words and Scenes From A Memory. Many cool hidden (at least to the untrained ear) moments pop up after the vocals are removed.

Edit: As examples, the wild bass in Take The Time, the aggressive drumming in Learning To Live, the accelerating sinusoidal sound from the keyboards in Beyond This Life, the chugging guitar in Home, and the melody under the first verse in Fatal Tragedy.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 10:23:03 PM by fischermasamune »