Poll

Who is MVP of A Change of Seasons (the song)?

Petrucci
Portnoy
Labrie
Sherinian
Myung

Author Topic: Who is MVP of A Change of Seasons?  (Read 1969 times)

Offline LKap13

Who is MVP of A Change of Seasons?
« on: August 19, 2019, 11:29:37 AM »
This is a tough one for me. I'm torn between Portnoy, Petrucci and Sherinian (even though I believe a lot of they keyboard work was written by Moore). Ultimately I voted Portnoy.

Edit: I'm talking about the song here.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 01:04:56 PM by LKap13 »

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
Re: Who is MVP of A Change of Seasons?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2019, 11:36:42 AM »
James LaBrie, 100%. His vocal performance on ACOS is utterly stellar.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2019, 11:39:46 AM »
I went JP. That tone is amazing.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2019, 12:43:04 PM »
I'm sort of thinking only about the song, but maybe you meant the album/"EP" as a whole.

In any event, in terms of performance, everyone was pretty much on fire.  I'd probably put DS down a slight notch since the song was already written before he joined (although I don't know when the changes were made in relationship to when DS joined and whether he had any involvement in writing).  That being the case, I gave the MVP to MP, by a nose, for the lyrics.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2019, 12:49:07 PM »
though I think JP and MP are amazing in this piece, I will go with Labrie. This is the one piece where I think from beginning to end he is stellar. Even on the recent I&W tour he was incredibly good on that song. Better than I expected.

The "Another world" is so emotionally driven because of Labrie.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2019, 12:55:06 PM »
If we're talking the whole EP then it's absolutely James. His voice on those covers is  :heart
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2019, 01:00:13 PM »
If we're talking the whole EP then it's absolutely James. His voice on those covers is  :heart

Oh, good point about the EP. I was thinking the song only and voted for MP. If we're talking EP I'd vote JP because of his chameleon playing on side 2. It's one thing to match other players tones but to accurately imitate everyone from Davey Johnstone to Kerry Livgren to Steve Morse is astonishing.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline CharlesPL

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2019, 01:46:56 PM »
MP

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2019, 02:33:13 PM »
James, IMHO anyway. Nice vocal lines by him on all pieces, good range as well. (possibly JP as well)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2019, 04:33:49 PM »
It's one thing to match other players tones but to accurately imitate everyone from Davey Johnstone to Kerry Livgren to Steve Morse is astonishing.

He is amazing.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Volante99

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2019, 05:19:09 PM »
Portnoy.

I actually think LaBrie sounds a bit weak here.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2019, 06:22:55 PM »
Derek's keyboard choices in both sound patches and solos are a VAST improvement over Kevin Moore's prior version.  When taking the original version into consideration, this is a showcase piece for Derek with the way he distinctly infuses his personality in the song, therefore Derek gets my vote.

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2019, 06:53:05 PM »
I chose James, I agree with others, his performance is among the best of his career.
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2019, 09:10:43 PM »
Went with Petrucci as lots of memorable guitar moments but LaBrie runs him a very close second, that “oh come let us adore him” section gives me chills every time for the vocals and the solo.

Surprised at how many votes Portnoy is getting on this one, seem to remember that the drums sound pretty horrible on this, probably the worst drum sound of his career. I suppose he did write the lyrics and vocal melodies though so I can understand it more for that reason.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2019, 08:20:25 AM »
Portnoy. His drumming is amazing on it and his lyrics are among the best in their entire discography.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Loggins

• Rocks.
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2019, 09:38:24 AM »
Labrie for sure. This album is really amazing all the way around, but James is what I always think of here.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2019, 09:42:32 AM »
I can't vote for this one.  For one thing, it's one song, aside from the heavily-doctored live tracks (which I love, by the way).  But more importantly, I just don't ever listen to this EP.  When I want my ACOS fix, I always go for the live version from LSFNY.  Always.  When I listen to the EP, it is usually for the Perfect Strangers cover or The Big Medley.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2019, 12:54:57 PM »
I can't vote for this one.  For one thing, it's one song, aside from the heavily-doctored live tracks (which I love, by the way).  But more importantly, I just don't ever listen to this EP.  When I want my ACOS fix, I always go for the live version from LSFNY.  Always.  When I listen to the EP, it is usually for the Perfect Strangers cover or The Big Medley.
I do too (mostly, these days I only listen to the Budokan version in 2017, it's cleaner and easier to listen to for me), because of Jordan's funny bits. I actually like James' performance on the EP though (on all tracks), so I voted

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2019, 01:23:52 PM »
I do too (mostly, these days I only listen to the Budokan version in 2017, it's cleaner and easier to listen to for me), because of Jordan's funny bits. I actually like James' performance on the EP though (on all tracks), so I voted

That's the reason I prefer the LSFNY version, every time I listen to the original version, my ears keep expecting those parts.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2019, 01:26:05 PM »

That's the reason I prefer the LSFNY version, every time I listen to the original version,my ears keep expecting those parts.
mine do too

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2019, 02:12:53 PM »
Portnoy tbh. His drumming on here is pretty good, but darn it A Change of Seasons is some of the best lyrical work in all of DT.

LaBrie would be the runner-up, as the vocals and lyrics are really what makes this song great.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2019, 05:02:55 PM »
Derek's keyboard choices in both sound patches and solos are a VAST improvement over Kevin Moore's prior version.  When taking the original version into consideration, this is a showcase piece for Derek with the way he distinctly infuses his personality in the song, therefore Derek gets my vote.

While I do not agree with the Kevin Moore comment, and wouldn't necessarily pick Sherinian as the MVP of this record, I will say that I was so thrilled and relieved in regards to the keys when I first heard this song. I was majorly bummed when Kevin Moore left the band, and even though I saw the band for the first time on the Awake tour with DS, it was impossible to know how things would go on new material, but then I heard A Change of Seasons and thought, "Yes, everything is going to be okay!" :coolio

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2019, 05:09:22 PM »
Did you still think that when you heard FII? (a tad bit of snark there, but genuinely curious). I hadn't heard about the lineup change till I saw the FII booklet, and didn't hear the ACoS EP till later. When I heard NM, then YNM, I wondered what the hell happened? Certainly it couldn't be just a new keyboardist, though his sounds didn't help matters.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2019, 05:20:41 PM »
Did you still think that when you heard FII? (a tad bit of snark there, but genuinely curious). I hadn't heard about the lineup change till I saw the FII booklet, and didn't hear the ACoS EP till later. When I heard NM, then YNM, I wondered what the hell happened? Certainly it couldn't be just a new keyboardist, though his sounds didn't help matters.

Yes.  Very few Dream Theater moments have wowed me on their first listen like the keyboard lead at the beginning of Lines in the Sand did. Plus, I was never disappointed with Falling into Infinity as a whole.  While it was clearly a step down from I&W and Awake, it was still damn good and it wore out my CD player. :metal

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2019, 05:25:42 PM »
Surprised at how many votes Portnoy is getting on this one, seem to remember that the drums sound pretty horrible on this, probably the worst drum sound of his career. I suppose he did write the lyrics and vocal melodies though so I can understand it more for that reason.

Given the trends at the time, MP's snare sound felt like an intuitive move to me in 1995, as I knew other metal drummers that were gravitating toward a more "pop" tom sound.  I welcomed it openly.  But that's just me.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2019, 05:26:14 PM »
When I heard NM, then YNM, I wondered what the hell happened?

You and me both, Brother.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2019, 06:05:46 PM »

I love Derek's "solo" on ACOS (a LOT better than anything I've ever heard JR do in that place), so I had no big concerns about KM leaving.

However, when I heard FII, I also wondered "what the fuck?! but it didn't really have anything to do with the keys"  The intro to New Millennium sounded promising, but it's a complete mess of a song that, to this day, I regard as a bottom 10 DT song.  I remember liking Hollow Years from the start, but nothing else resonated with me for a LONG time, and I still consider FII a bottom 2 or 3 album.  Fortunately, things got better quickly.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2019, 09:16:07 AM »
I went with Portnoy because I think ACOS is the apex of his creativity as a drummer and his drumming shines on this song. I wonder if there is an isolated drum track on YouTube for ACOS?

The lyrics are Portnoy's too.

LaBrie's vocals are awesome. I almost went with him on this poll but I think his vocals on Awake are better by a hair.

These are all difficult to choose!

Offline jjfumbly

« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2019, 06:31:42 AM »
I voted James but the mixing plus the dialing in on the amp gave the guitar an amazingly snappy tone on that track. Really unique sound for DT.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2019, 09:49:23 AM »
MP. Between the drumwork, the lyrics, and most importantly the theme of the whole thing, it's his finest hour.

Agree completely (though still vote for MP).
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson