Author Topic: Your top ten Dream Theater songs.  (Read 29785 times)

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
Re: Your top ten Dream Theater songs.
« Reply #140 on: November 14, 2019, 01:58:29 PM »
10- Just let me breathe

:omg:

That’s for the controversial thread :lol

Seriously, I'll never understand why hardcore DT fans hate that song...
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #141 on: November 14, 2019, 02:22:08 PM »
10- Just let me breathe

Same.  I really dig this song, more than many others on FII

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #142 on: November 14, 2019, 02:37:55 PM »
As simply as I can put it:

1) The chorus, which is extremely unsatisfying because it barely differs from the verses, yet the transition into (& out of) it is so flow-breaking & abrupt that it implies something wildly different should be there. It's basically impossible to have fun with the song's groove because the transitions are so disjointed & awkward. It also doesn't that JLB just kind of just rambles the lyrics without them following much of a melodic line.

2) The lyrics, which are the most surface-level critiques of the music industry that an angry teenager could write in 5 minutes, & have the subtlety of a brick.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline pg1067

« Reply #143 on: November 14, 2019, 03:51:39 PM »
10- Just let me breathe

I don't hate it; I just don't think it's very good.

2) The lyrics, which are the most surface-level critiques of the music industry that an angry teenager could write in 5 minutes, & have the subtlety of a brick.

The first of many juvenile MP-is-angry-at-something lyrics.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #144 on: November 14, 2019, 04:14:24 PM »
10- Just let me breathe

I don’t hate it, but there’s A LOT other songs I would rank higher than it.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Volante99

« Reply #145 on: November 14, 2019, 08:41:49 PM »
10- Just let me breathe

I don’t hate it, but there’s A LOT other songs I would rank higher than it.

Ditto. I don’t hate it, but if I never heard it again, I wouldn’t miss it.

...kind of like FII in general...or my ex wife har har.

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #146 on: November 15, 2019, 07:06:16 AM »
10- Just let me breathe

I don't hate it; I just don't think it's very good.

Same way I feel.  There are a lot of FII songs I like, but JLMB is not one of them.  But the song doesn't quite get to the "hate" category.
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #147 on: November 15, 2019, 07:26:40 AM »
I think JLMB is a below average song from DT. I render the studio version useless, honestly. But live, this song comes alive. It has a ton of latent energy that the FII version really doesn't capture.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #148 on: November 15, 2019, 08:04:42 AM »

I don't dispute your description of the lyrics themselves, but the implication is that the rest of DT's lyrics are a Shakespearian master-class.   While they have their moments (and that includes even Mike), they are not. 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #149 on: November 15, 2019, 11:31:57 AM »

I don't dispute your description of the lyrics themselves, but the implication is that the rest of DT's lyrics are a Shakespearian master-class.

Ummm...how do you figure?  Saying the lyrics to JLMB "are the most surface-level critiques of the music industry that an angry teenager could write in 5 minutes, & have the subtlety of a brick" neither says nor implies anything about any other DT lyric (much less that all other songs' lyrics are exceptional).  I can criticize Song Z without implying anything about Songs A-Y.  Are there other DT songs with lyrics that are equally or more cringe-worthy as JLMB?  Sure there are, but most are better and many are much better.  Also, IMO, comparing something to Shakespeare's works would not be anything even remotely approaching complimentary (with the exception of PMU).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #150 on: November 15, 2019, 02:56:02 PM »
Some of y'all have never done a top 50 and it shows! Loads of controversial choices drop out of the top 10 to make room for the songs we all love for a reason. I think I had one or two but less than I thought I would have when I went into the exercise.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #151 on: November 15, 2019, 03:07:13 PM »
I have always liked JLMB, including the lyrics.  I don't find anything about them to be "cringe-worthy," and I think thou doth cringe too easily if that be the case for you.  :lol  I remember years ago on the dt.net forums when we were doing a "rate and review the song" thread, and I gave that song a 7/10.  I still stand by that.  It is what I would consider to be a good (not great) song, by DT standards.  Not my favorite by any stretch, but not at all bad.  And, IMO, it rates as high as it does because the lyrics take it up a notch from where I might otherwise rate it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #152 on: November 15, 2019, 03:15:35 PM »
Are there other DT songs with lyrics that are equally or more cringe-worthy as JLMB?  Sure there are

I disagree :P

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #153 on: November 15, 2019, 08:50:26 PM »
I have always liked JLMB, including the lyrics.  I don't find anything about them to be "cringe-worthy," and I think thou doth cringe too easily if that be the case for you.  :lol  I remember years ago on the dt.net forums when we were doing a "rate and review the song" thread, and I gave that song a 7/10.  I still stand by that.  It is what I would consider to be a good (not great) song, by DT standards.  Not my favorite by any stretch, but not at all bad.  And, IMO, it rates as high as it does because the lyrics take it up a notch from where I might otherwise rate it.

So I just listened to the song again.  The instrumentation is great, but I really don't like the melody at all, and the lyric subject matter just makes me want to skip to the next song.  I'm glad you like it, I just don't. :)

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #154 on: November 17, 2019, 11:04:05 AM »

I don't dispute your description of the lyrics themselves, but the implication is that the rest of DT's lyrics are a Shakespearian master-class.

Ummm...how do you figure?  Saying the lyrics to JLMB "are the most surface-level critiques of the music industry that an angry teenager could write in 5 minutes, & have the subtlety of a brick" neither says nor implies anything about any other DT lyric (much less that all other songs' lyrics are exceptional).  I can criticize Song Z without implying anything about Songs A-Y.  Are there other DT songs with lyrics that are equally or more cringe-worthy as JLMB?  Sure there are, but most are better and many are much better.  Also, IMO, comparing something to Shakespeare's works would not be anything even remotely approaching complimentary (with the exception of PMU).

Sure.  Most of it is opinion, so free from my criticism, but I think my logic is sound. 

- To single out the lyrics of a song means they matter to your liking of a song. 
- To single out the lyrics of one song from a band you claim to like DOES imply that those lyrics are exceptional compared to other songs. Else, presumably you wouldn't like the other songs and thus wouldn't like the band.
- It's fair to assume that all or most of the rest of the lyrics in the catalogue are NOT singled out, and are therefore NOT bad. 

And I'm saying that's not necessarily true for others.  Forget Shakespeare (you're being pedantic on that point; it's symbolism and I think you know that), but I don't think the lyrics of JLMB are any more or less juvenile, surface-level, or unsubtle than many of the other songs in the catalogue.   So if that's enough to ruin JLMB, it's hard to reconcile why more songs aren't equally ruined.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #155 on: November 17, 2019, 12:51:54 PM »
What are these "other songs" & why can't I find JLMB worse than them lyrically?

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #156 on: November 18, 2019, 08:05:03 AM »
What are these "other songs" & why can't I find JLMB worse than them lyrically?

Of course you can.  Not at all saying otherwise; but with that, you confirm what I'm REALLY talking about, that is, that you DO think them worse than all the other songs.

I'm just noting that it's a sort of harsh and not obvious criticism from an outside perspective.  Of course, it's your opinion and no can take that away from you.  I can, though, say it's a hard opinion to understand from an outside perspective.  And I offered a different, conflicting opinion.  (I was told in another thread that also seemed to bag on Portnoy that that's what we do on forums like this.   :)  ). 

As for songs that I don't think are "better" than JLMB lyrically, just on that album:
- You Not Me
- Peruvian Skies (though I love the song)
- Burning My Soul

On other albums:
- Vacant (yes, I know it's about 12 words total, but in my view it's not high literature)
- The Great Debate (and that has NOTHING to do with the politics of it)
- Build Me Up, Break Me Down

This is purely off the top of my head.  Surely if I saw the lyrics or thought about it I'd come up with more.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #157 on: November 18, 2019, 12:19:41 PM »
- To single out the lyrics of a song means they matter to your liking of a song. 
- To single out the lyrics of one song from a band you claim to like DOES imply that those lyrics are exceptional compared to other songs. Else, presumably you wouldn't like the other songs and thus wouldn't like the band.
- It's fair to assume that all or most of the rest of the lyrics in the catalogue are NOT singled out, and are therefore NOT bad. 

And I'm saying that's not necessarily true for others.  Forget Shakespeare (you're being pedantic on that point; it's symbolism and I think you know that), but I don't think the lyrics of JLMB are any more or less juvenile, surface-level, or unsubtle than many of the other songs in the catalogue.   So if that's enough to ruin JLMB, it's hard to reconcile why more songs aren't equally ruined.

The part I highlighted is where opinion comes into it.  Your subjective evaluation of JLMB doesn't play into the opinion of "IDontNotDoThings,"  When IDNDT says that the lyrics of JLMB "are the most surface-level critiques of the music industry that an angry teenager could write in 5 minutes, & have the subtlety of a brick," that opinion does not take into account your opinion that "the lyrics of JLMB are any more or less juvenile, surface-level, or unsubtle than many of the other songs in the catalogue."  Since IDNDT may have completely different opinions about the relative merits of JLMB's lyrics and the lyrics of other songs, it's not at all "hard to reconcile why more songs aren't equally ruined."  Moreover, who says other "songs aren't equally ruined"?  Maybe, for IDNDT, they are.  However, JLMB was the only song under discussion, which gets back to my original point....

I completely disagree with your second bullet point above:  "To single out the lyrics of one song from a band you claim to like DOES imply that those lyrics are exceptional compared to other songs."  No it doesn't -- especially when one particular song is being discussed.  Maybe we're having a discussion about about the Los Angeles Rams, and someone says, "Jared Goff" is terrible.  That statement implies nothing about any other quarterback, so it would not be appropriate to respond by saying, "well, yeah, but it's not like Josh Rosen is the second coming of Joe Montana."  While it may be true, the person commenting on Jared Goff is not implying anything about any other quarterback.

And, just to be clear, what I'm quibbling with is the assertion that IDNDT's expression of an opinion about JLMB's lyrics necessarily implies that the lyrics of other DT songs are exceptionally good (or whatever you hyperbolically meant by the Shakespeare analogy).

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #158 on: November 19, 2019, 07:17:00 AM »
I completely disagree with your second bullet point above:  "To single out the lyrics of one song from a band you claim to like DOES imply that those lyrics are exceptional compared to other songs."  No it doesn't -- especially when one particular song is being discussed.  Maybe we're having a discussion about about the Los Angeles Rams, and someone says, "Jared Goff" is terrible.  That statement implies nothing about any other quarterback, so it would not be appropriate to respond by saying, "well, yeah, but it's not like Josh Rosen is the second coming of Joe Montana."  While it may be true, the person commenting on Jared Goff is not implying anything about any other quarterback.

And, just to be clear, what I'm quibbling with is the assertion that IDNDT's expression of an opinion about JLMB's lyrics necessarily implies that the lyrics of other DT songs are exceptionally good (or whatever you hyperbolically meant by the Shakespeare analogy).

We're quibbling about the same thing; I would like to make clear that I'm not questioning IDNDT's opinion. That's hers.  I get it.

But your QB analogy isn't complete; we're talking about a BAND that we presumably LIKE.   Your logic for the analogy of QBs works, because we have no data on the other QBs.  Here, we DO.  We - presumably - know that IDNDT is a FAN of Dream Theater.  Being a fan of a band - presumably - means you like their music. 

- IDNDT doesn't like the lyrics to JLMB;
- IDNDT therefore doesn't like JLMB;
- IDNDT is otherwise a fan of Dream Theater;
- IDNDT therefore likes other DT songs.

I'm not saying this is 100% bulletproof, but it's also not a wild-ass stretch either. There's an underlying logic to the assumption. It's still an assumption, to be sure, but it's not completely without justification. 

And further, it's all conversation; I'm not being critical.  There doesn't necessarily have to be a logic to what we like.   

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #159 on: November 19, 2019, 03:46:44 PM »
Just because I'm a fan of Dream Theater doesn't mean that I find all of their other songs or lyrics to be exceptional. I also don't like the lyrics to Test That Stumped Them All, Goodnight Kiss, Solitary Shell, Honour Thy Father, I Walk Beside You, Never Enough, parts of A Nightmare To Remember, The Best Of Times, Build Me Up Break Me Down, or S2N, but 1) those lyrics are cringe-worthy at worst, while JLMB's are offensively terrible, & 2) some of those songs are actually good, which helps balance out their worse lyrical moments.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #160 on: November 19, 2019, 05:23:30 PM »
We - presumably - know that IDNDT is a FAN of Dream Theater.  Being a fan of a band - presumably - means you like their music. 

I'm not saying this is 100% bulletproof, but it's also not a wild-ass stretch either. There's an underlying logic to the assumption. It's still an assumption, to be sure, but it's not completely without justification. 

The one thing you wrote initially was this:  "the implication [of IDNDT's opinion that "[t]he lyrics [of JLMB] are the most surface-level critiques of the music industry that an angry teenager could write in 5 minutes, & have the subtlety of a brick"] is that the rest of DT's lyrics are a Shakespearian master-class."

That's it.

I agree that the comment implies that IDNDT thinks some, but not all (and perhaps even most), other DT songs are lyrically better (whether a little bit better or a lot better).  What I had a problem with was the hyperbole about "a Shakespearian master-class."  While you may want to chalk up my reaction to your hyperbole as "pedantic," I don't understand the point of defending hyperbole that's so excessive as to be wrong.

Bro hugs and beers?

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #161 on: November 20, 2019, 07:30:15 AM »
We - presumably - know that IDNDT is a FAN of Dream Theater.  Being a fan of a band - presumably - means you like their music. 

The one thing you wrote initially was this:  "the implication [of IDNDT's opinion that "[t]he lyrics [of JLMB] are the most surface-level critiques of the music industry that an angry teenager could write in 5 minutes, & have the subtlety of a brick"] is that the rest of DT's lyrics are a Shakespearian master-class."

That's it.

I agree that the comment implies that IDNDT thinks some, but not all (and perhaps even most), other DT songs are lyrically better (whether a little bit better or a lot better).  What I had a problem with was the hyperbole about "a Shakespearian master-class."  While you may want to chalk up my reaction to your hyperbole as "pedantic," I don't understand the point of defending hyperbole that's so excessive as to be wrong.

Bro hugs and beers?

Of course.   Always.   

It was hyperbolic.  It was meant more to be funny than absolute, but I get where you're coming from.  We're good.  :)

Offline pg1067

« Reply #162 on: November 20, 2019, 09:51:51 AM »

That's it.

Bro hugs and beers?

Of course.   Always.   

It was hyperbolic.  It was meant more to be funny than absolute, but I get where you're coming from.  We're good.  :)

:-* :-*

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #163 on: November 25, 2019, 02:26:39 PM »

I couldn't care less about lyrics. Not just these, but any. For me it's all about music.
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #164 on: November 29, 2019, 01:39:14 PM »
10- Just let me breathe

Oh man! I just watched the Sons of Apollo dvd "Live in Plovdiv",  and they really breathed (pardon the pun) new life into this song.   I highly recommend seeing that it you haven't already.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #165 on: November 29, 2019, 01:47:47 PM »

1) The chorus, which is extremely unsatisfying because it barely differs from the verses, yet the transition into (& out of) it is so flow-breaking & abrupt that it implies something wildly different should be there. It's basically impossible to have fun with the song's groove because the transitions are so disjointed & awkward. It also doesn't that JLB just kind of just rambles the lyrics without them following much of a melodic line.

adding to that that it's not known for rhythmic complexity, one of their most simplistic songs in that regard (apart from the ballads of course) Yes, I consider myself a hardcore fan. Yes, I never listen to it nowadays. Back to topic: picking a personal top ten is very hard for me. (which on the other hand speaks for DT IMHO, because as much as I dislike Portnoy, I rarely dislike the songwriting)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 01:54:43 PM by Max Kuehnau »
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #166 on: November 29, 2019, 05:38:44 PM »

adding to that that it's not known for rhythmic complexity, one of their most simplistic songs in that regard (apart from the ballads of course) Yes, I consider myself a hardcore fan. Yes, I never listen to it nowadays. Back to topic: picking a personal top ten is very hard for me. (which on the other hand speaks for DT IMHO, because as much as I dislike Portnoy, I rarely dislike the songwriting)

I'm very confused about what you're trying to say here :huh:

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #167 on: November 30, 2019, 02:24:19 AM »

I'm very confused about what you're trying to say here :huh:
a) why JLMB is (IMHO) so disliked among us hardcore fans (myself included) and b) being back on topic again, why it's hard for me to find my top 10 songs by them (because so many of them are good concerning the songwriting aspect (IMHO  again)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Bentower

« Reply #168 on: November 30, 2019, 11:06:56 AM »
1. Learning to Live
2. Lines in the Sand
3. Space-Dye Vest
4. Surrounded
5. Voices
6. A Change of Seasons
7. Scarred
8. Trail of Tears
9. Under a Glass Moon
10. Only a Matter of Time

Post-FII honorary mentions: Fatal Tragedy, Finally Free, The Great Debate, In the Name of God, This Is the Life, Breaking All Illusions, A New Beginning, Moment of Betrayal, The Path That Divides, At Wit's End
Human by Nature (prog-infused psychedelic metal): https://linktr.ee/hbnearth
Our debut album "Eläimys" is a trip I can whole-heartedly recommend to anyone into Pain of Salvation, Opeth, The Mars Volta, Magma etc.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #169 on: November 30, 2019, 12:14:59 PM »
I have just now read that whole discussion about Mirror/Lie - you guys are absolutely :rollin :rollin :rollin

I don't want to spark this conversation again, but I just wanted to say, Scotty, I am on your side  :lol I ALWAYS listen to Mirror and Lie in one sitting. If I can't consider them one song (if lord boskaryus commands so), I'd like to call them a suite. Wait For Sleep and Learning To Live (they have been mentioned by Bosk in the discussion) as well as Far From Heaven and Breaking All Illusions belong together for me too.

AND Northern Lion: you're not weird, I do that too! I have edited versions of all those DT songs you mentioned, as well as Fly From Here (Yes), all the NDV era Spock's Beard long tracks, Spock's Beard's Healing Colours Of Sound, the early Chicago epics, and MANY more.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #170 on: November 30, 2019, 12:59:08 PM »
I have just now read that whole discussion about Mirror/Lie - you guys are absolutely :rollin :rollin :rollin

I don't want to spark this conversation again, but I just wanted to say, Scotty, I am on your side  :lol I ALWAYS listen to Mirror and Lie in one sitting. If I can't consider them one song (if lord boskaryus commands so), I'd like to call them a suite. Wait For Sleep and Learning To Live (they have been mentioned by Bosk in the discussion) as well as Far From Heaven and Breaking All Illusions belong together for me too.

AND Northern Lion: you're not weird, I do that too! I have edited versions of all those DT songs you mentioned, as well as Fly From Here (Yes), all the NDV era Spock's Beard long tracks, Spock's Beard's Healing Colours Of Sound, the early Chicago epics, and MANY more.

Thanks man!  :tup

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #171 on: November 30, 2019, 01:03:20 PM »

What about A Mind Beside Itself?
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #172 on: November 30, 2019, 01:36:34 PM »

Not as cohesive as the mentioned, and of course these songs also function on their own very well. But I like to listen to them most in one sitting and I would consider them a "suite", too. And yes, I have a programmed track containing the three songs  :lol

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #173 on: November 30, 2019, 07:13:11 PM »

Not as cohesive as the mentioned, and of course these songs also function on their own very well. But I like to listen to them most in one sitting and I would consider them a "suite", too. And yes, I have a programmed track containing the three songs  :lol

I have done the same thing.  And considering these three songs have a greater name attached to them to link them together, it just makes sense imho.

And, to add to your list above, I think Vacant and Stream of Consciousness could also also fall into that category.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #174 on: December 01, 2019, 01:16:36 AM »

I have done the same thing.  And considering these three songs have a greater name attached to them to link them together, it just makes sense imho.

And, to add to your list above, I think Vacant and Stream of Consciousness could also also fall into that category.

100%, I totally forgot about these two.