Author Topic: Your top ten Dream Theater songs.  (Read 30778 times)

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
Re: Your top ten Dream Theater songs.
« Reply #280 on: September 14, 2023, 12:25:17 AM »
However there could be a hundred that fits in the top 10, mostly this would be mine...

Killing Hand
Mirror / Lie
Change of Seasons
Glass Prison
This Dying Soul
Shattered Fortress
Count of Tuscany
Illumination Theory
Bridges in the Sky / Outcry
Breaking all Illusions

Both Black Clouds & Silver Linings and A Dramatic Turn of Events are absolute pearls, overlooked by way too many prog-aholics.

Remarkable that the Shattered Fortress is never listed up in all the reactions before.

Last years I've re-spinned all their vinyls multiple times. And although some will always be in my list, it has been changed.

Surrouned; LaBrie's best vocal performance of all...
A Change of Seasons
Octavarium; will probably always be my #1
The Count of Tuscany
Illumination Theory

These five are lifted up from their entire discography, as being close to perfect. Can't see any future-song will infiltrate this top-5.

Voices
The Glass Prison
The Ministry of Lost Souls
The Shattered Fortress
Bridges In the Sky

On any given day The Killing Hand, This Dying Soul, Outcry, Beneath the Surface or Awaken the Master might be interchangeable with the low-tier of this top 10. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence would surely be in this list, if considered as a single song.

The list is made up not as a ranking, but sortered since they've been brought out. For me impossible to rank them exactly.

Edit: And then, there's Scarred, with (between 5:12 and 6:25) probably Dream Theaters most emotional segment of all... how on earth can a man squeeze all this in a top-10.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2023, 06:10:01 AM by Wim Kruithof »
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline energythief

• Chubby Chaser
Re: Your top ten Dream Theater songs.
« Reply #281 on: September 19, 2023, 12:17:47 PM »
According to the lack of square smiling emoji, it looks like I never posted in this thread. Here are my current top 10 picks.

1. Home: My favourite DT song of all time, and top 3 of any song ever, beaten only by Queensryche's Screaming in Digital and Foo Fighter's Everlong. This track is daring and provocative, and acts as the literal and figurative climax of the emotion building all the way from Metropolis part 1. A masterpiece.

2. Voices: This track always brings me back to long nighttime walks home to my dorm in my university days listening to Awake on my Sony Discman. The lyrics were dark and suggestive, and the moment when the instruments and choral voices kick back in never fails to stand the hairs up on my arms.

3. Blind Faith: A powerhouse of a song, with some of their best lyrics and vocal melodies. It's mandatory to sing along to this song while I'm driving the car!

4. Trial of Tears: A suprisingly mature and emotional song for the band both lyrically and musically. Killer bass groove throughout.

5. Breaking All Illusions: The best Mangini-era track, and another incredible epic. It does everything right.

6. A Change of Seasons: What can you say about this song? It's wildly creative, ambitious in its themes of aging and growth, mixes in some clever religious metaphors, and sprinkles in the perfect amount of audio samples and sound effects. This blew my mind when I first heard it and it remains in my top 10.

7. Metropolis Part 1: This song has earned its place in the DT hall of fame for good reason. It's dense with different ideas and movements, and the subject matter of Remus and Romulus competing with each other and the three dances is so cool and different. Not only is this the birthplace of SFAM (in my opinion the best concept album ever made), it's also the song that made me realize DT had a "lead drummer" in Portnoy. So good.

8. Under a Glass Moon: Petrucci at his creative best. This track just hooks me from the instant it starts and doesn't let me go.

9. In the Name of God: I guess I really love the songs that explore the darkness inherent in religion. Top shelf lyrics in this track, and it's heavy and dark in just the right measures.

10. Space-Dye Vest: A perfectly moody meditation on the whirlwind of emotions that come from a failed relationship and the agony of loss. I love everything about this song.

Honorable Mention: Lost Not Forgotten. LNF has lyrics that really suggest the feeling of an unstoppable ancient empire, and it has always been the song which can pump me up for a workout. The exotic melodies engage my imagination and transport me somewhere else like few other songs do.