Author Topic: Your top ten Dream Theater songs.  (Read 30453 times)

Offline pg1067

Re: Your top ten Dream Theater songs.
« Reply #210 on: March 18, 2021, 04:14:47 PM »
Didn't think I was going to be able to do this.

In no particular order:

Metropolis
Learning to Live
Scarred
A Change of Seasons
Home
Blind Faith
SDOIT
Octavarium
Breaking All Illusions
Illumination Theory

Honorable mention:  Stream of Consciousness

I wasn't sure I'd responded in this thread.

Looking at my list, I think I would probably remove Illumination Theory - not so much that I don't like it as much, but because I think there are stronger songs.

I have no songs from WDADU, and that wouldn't change.  I might theoretically take the Live at the Marquee version of The Killing Hand, but that's cheating (I think).

I have no songs from FII, SC, BC&SL, TA or DOT.  Don't think that would change either (definitely not as to the first four).

Thinking about my next favorite songs from the other albums, I'm thinking the most likely candidate to replace IT would be In the Name of God.  Or maybe Finally free or Fatal Tragedy.

EDIT...because it's not just A Killing Hand, it's THE Killing Hand.   :lol
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 11:59:55 AM by pg1067 »
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #211 on: March 19, 2021, 11:02:41 AM »
If live versions were included, I would definitely have TKH on the list.

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #212 on: March 19, 2021, 12:34:39 PM »
That was tough to do and I'm not completely sure about all my choices and placements. But I feel comfortable with this list.

1. Hell's Kitchen
2. Learning to Live
3. Vacant
4. Bridges in the Sky
5. Sacrificed Sons
6. Pale Blue Dot
7. Lifting Shadows off a Dream
8. The Path That Divides
9. S2N
10. Peruvian Skies

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #213 on: March 20, 2021, 07:44:26 AM »
I'm very surprised how beloved The Spirit Carries On is (many people here have put it on their top 10 list), since it's a BALLAD.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #214 on: March 20, 2021, 01:46:06 PM »
Tough one for sure!

1. A Change of Seasons
2. Learning to Live
3. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
4. Metropolis pt. 1
5. Scarred
6. Lines in the Sand
7. Voices
8. Glass Prison
9. Trial of Tears
10.Breaking All Illusions

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #215 on: March 21, 2021, 07:01:05 PM »
I'm very surprised how beloved The Spirit Carries On is (many people here have put it on their top 10 list), since it's a BALLAD.

Do I dare ask - what’s wrong with ballads??

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #216 on: March 21, 2021, 09:19:21 PM »

This is just a guess, but maybe he's surprised because some Dream Theater songs that are generally more disliked tend to be ballads? I've seen a lot of dislike for Anna Lee, The Ministry of Lost Souls, Along for the Ride, and the few ballads on The Astonishing, to give some examples.

That being said, I've always been under the impression that The Spirit Carries On was a fan-favorite song, though, so it doesn't surprise me that it's made so many Top 10s (I know it's in my Top 20 somewhere), regardless of how liked or disliked Dream Theater's ballads are. Personally I tend to really enjoy Dream Theater's ballads in general.

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #217 on: March 22, 2021, 03:22:39 AM »

There's nothing wrong with ballads per se, but I know most metal fans are not fans of them.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #218 on: March 22, 2021, 06:29:48 AM »

There's nothing wrong with ballads per se, but I know most metal fans are not fans of them.

You haven't been to many metal shows have you?  Never saw 10,000 maniacs in full leather and denim with their lighters in the air? 

That will go in your top ten of most ridiculous statements on this forum.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #219 on: March 22, 2021, 07:09:28 AM »
Not sure if I’ve done this before but let’s see what I can come up with

Learning To Live
Metropolis pt. I
Take The Time
Space Dye Vest
A Change Of Seasons
Trial Of Tears
The Spirit Carries On
Breaking All Illusions

Not sure about the last 2 spots.  Lots of contenders but not sure I can settle on 2 of them.  Some contenders would be

Surrounded
Another Day
Lines In The Sand
Home
The Count Of Tuscany
The Bigger Picture
Illumination Theory

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #220 on: March 22, 2021, 07:28:33 AM »
Is awesome to see so much love for Learning To Live, it's such an amazing song (and such a beautifully arranged ending).

My top ten (not in any particular order)

-Learning To Live
-Stream of Consciousness
-At Wits End
-A Change of Seasons
-In The Presence of the Enemies (Pt 1/2)
-Panic Attack
-Lines in the Sand
-Metropolis Pt.1
-The Glass Prison
- Home

Couldn't remember if I listen my top 10. I guess 2 years later, not much has changed except I would take out Home and At Wits End.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #221 on: March 22, 2021, 08:20:35 AM »

You haven't been to many metal shows have you?  Never saw 10,000 maniacs in full leather and denim with their lighters in the air? 

I don't get what you've said here. What maniacs in full leather and denim at metal shows has to do with liking/disliking ballads?
And explain what is exactly ridiculous about my statement?

Offline darkshade

« Reply #222 on: March 22, 2021, 08:20:53 AM »
I don't listen to metal that much and I don't care for ballads most of the time.

but The Spirit Carries On is a good song, ballad or not. Ballads are often not good songs IMO. Sometimes the format is not suited to the band/artist's style, since I've heard alternate renditions of slow songs/ballads in different musical contexts and they work very well.

IMO DT is one of the few bands that is good at writing ballads, but they've also put out their share of not so good ones.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #223 on: March 22, 2021, 09:42:56 AM »

Oh good grief.  Sometimes I think you think to yourself, "What's the most ridiculous thing I can say here?"

The point of Stadler's comment was that, at many metal shows, the ballad is the song that draw the biggest audience reaction.  Ballads also are often the "hit single" off a metal band's album.  Both of those things illustrate the absurdity of your assertion that "most metal fans are not fans of" ballads.

I too don't quite get all the love for TSCO, but it has nothing to do with it being a "ballad."

Do you have any empirical evidence to support your assertion that "most metal fans are not fans of" ballads?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #224 on: March 22, 2021, 10:12:33 AM »

I don't get what you've said here. What maniacs in full leather and denim at metal shows has to do with liking/disliking ballads?
You said point blank that "most metal fans are not fans of [ballads]".  That's what's ridiculous, for two reasons:  one, you haven't spoken to "most metal fans" so you have no friggin' idea generally, and two, when I've gone to metal shows - and I've been to quite a few at this point - some of the best reactions have been for the ballads (thus indicated by the crowd raising their lighters during the song).   I can remember Motley Crue getting probably their best reaction to "Home Sweet Home" in '87.   I don't know if Scorpions are "metal", per se, but "Still Loving You" brought the house down when I saw them in '84.   Ozzy's only UK number one?  His remake of his own "Changes".   "Mama, I'm Coming Home" is also one of his more successful singles, and he was a big part of Lita Ford's only real hit, "Close My Eyes Forever".

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #225 on: March 22, 2021, 10:20:21 AM »
Not only that, but it's not like all DT fans are "metal fans".  Many (most?) are "prog fans", and many more would characterize themselves as a mix, or something else entirely, so it doesn't really matter what most "metal fans" like, even if you could make such a generalization, which you can't.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #226 on: March 22, 2021, 12:51:56 PM »

What are the other nine? :)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #227 on: March 22, 2021, 03:55:46 PM »
Not only that, but it's not like all DT fans are "metal fans".  Many (most?) are "prog fans", and many more would characterize themselves as a mix, or something else entirely, so it doesn't really matter what most "metal fans" like, even if you could make such a generalization, which you can't.

Yes. Also Beyond the Realms of Death is my favorite Priest song and We’ll Burn the Sky my fave Scorpions song and both have lengthy acoustic sections. Oh no they can’t be good songs! Whatever will I do?

Ridiculous.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #228 on: March 26, 2021, 10:25:59 AM »

You said point blank that "most metal fans are not fans of [ballads]".  That's what's ridiculous, for two reasons:  one, you haven't spoken to "most metal fans" so you have no friggin' idea generally, and two, when I've gone to metal shows - and I've been to quite a few at this point - some of the best reactions have been for the ballads (thus indicated by the crowd raising their lighters during the song).   I can remember Motley Crue getting probably their best reaction to "Home Sweet Home" in '87.   I don't know if Scorpions are "metal", per se, but "Still Loving You" brought the house down when I saw them in '84.   Ozzy's only UK number one?  His remake of his own "Changes".   "Mama, I'm Coming Home" is also one of his more successful singles, and he was a big part of Lita Ford's only real hit, "Close My Eyes Forever".

Those are all great songs, but I rank power ballads differently than just regular ballads, if that makes any sense.  The ones you listed I consider to be power ballads which I think are more accessible to metal fans.  I'm a prog/metal fan that can appreciate a good ballad here and there.  Too many and I start to get bored (TA).  Another example, I consider "This is the Life" on ADTOE a great power ballad.  However, BTS and FFH are slow ballads.  Don't like them at all.  Not just because they're slow per se, but because I felt that TITL was enough for one album and the aforementioned were just a little too much and didn't live up to some of their other ballads such as "Wait for Sleep", "The Silent Man" and "Anna Lee".
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #229 on: March 26, 2021, 12:13:50 PM »
Thinking more about this; DT certainly has slower tempo songs, but do they really have a true "power ballad"?   I don't think so.   MAYBE "I Walk Beside You", but they don't have an "Every Rose Has It's Thorn", or a "Sister Christian", even if just for the lyrical content.   I love "This Is The Life" - I think I put it at number two - but I'm not sure it's a "ballad", is it?

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #230 on: March 26, 2021, 01:25:10 PM »
Thinking more about this; DT certainly has slower tempo songs, but do they really have a true "power ballad"?   I don't think so.   MAYBE "I Walk Beside You", but they don't have an "Every Rose Has It's Thorn", or a "Sister Christian", even if just for the lyrical content.   I love "This Is The Life" - I think I put it at number two - but I'm not sure it's a "ballad", is it?

Out of curiosity, if it's not a ballad, what else would it be?

I also think that with ballads in the context of metal, it does tend to be a kind of love it or hate it thing. Because they stand out in terms of dynamics, that often opens it up to both having more emotional punch yet also some being like "wtf where are my riffs". However, the latter are really kind of a minority that inhabit the review sections of Metal Archives (check the negative reviews of SfaM on there to see how some people just legit flip out whenever there's a softer, more sensitive song) as opposed to the more general audience.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #231 on: March 26, 2021, 02:09:37 PM »

Out of curiosity, if it's not a ballad, what else would it be?

I also think that with ballads in the context of metal, it does tend to be a kind of love it or hate it thing. Because they stand out in terms of dynamics, that often opens it up to both having more emotional punch yet also some being like "wtf where are my riffs". However, the latter are really kind of a minority that inhabit the review sections of Metal Archives (check the negative reviews of SfaM on there to see how some people just legit flip out whenever there's a softer, more sensitive song) as opposed to the more general audience.

I'm not sure I have an answer for you!   :)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #232 on: March 26, 2021, 02:38:29 PM »
I love "This Is The Life" - I think I put it at number two - but I'm not sure it's a "ballad", is it?

This Is The Life is simply their most well written song. It's perfectly put together..IMHO.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #233 on: March 26, 2021, 02:47:41 PM »
See, I view ballads as generally more emotionally intimate tracks (both musically and lyrically) that have a gentler texture than the band's usual catalogue. I don't really see how This is the Life wouldn't fit the bill in that regard.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #234 on: March 26, 2021, 03:34:04 PM »

I consider TITL a power ballad because it starts out slow and then builds up and has sections of distortion pedal and a rockin' solo section.  It takes a normal ballad to the next level.  I feel that "Lifting Shadows off a Dream" does the same sort of thing as well as "Wither" just off the top of my head.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #235 on: March 26, 2021, 03:39:47 PM »
The first song that came to my mind thinking of a Dream Theater power ballad was Another Day.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #236 on: March 26, 2021, 03:41:35 PM »
The first song that came to my mind thinking of a Dream Theater power ballad was Another Day.

Absolutely!  That one definitely fits.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #237 on: March 26, 2021, 03:42:36 PM »
Okay, I'll buy that.  It was a sincere question; I wasn't trying to imply it WASN'T.   

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #238 on: March 26, 2021, 03:46:34 PM »
Not at all Stads.  It's all good.

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #239 on: March 26, 2021, 03:58:12 PM »
Yes, no worries  :tup

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #240 on: March 26, 2021, 06:30:29 PM »
Along For The Ride is another song that really screams "power ballad" to me.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline MHStrawn

« Reply #241 on: March 26, 2021, 06:59:32 PM »
Obviously, any endeavor like this is fraught with peril....well, can be difficult.  But here goes:

1. A Change of Seasons
2. Learning to Live
3. Lines in the Sand
4. Voices
5. As I Am
6. SFAM Intro (Regression/Overture/1928/Strange Deja Vu/Through My Words - this is a single piece of music and I will countenance no debate on the topic)
7. Raise the Knife
8. Fatal Tragedy
9. Metropolis
10. Scarred

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #242 on: March 26, 2021, 10:40:00 PM »
I have to have 11. They can be in any order.

ACOS
Octavarium
ITPOE 1,2
IT
BTL
TCoT
BAI
AWE
LItS
Home
FF
Give me the longs songs any day!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #243 on: March 27, 2021, 08:55:35 AM »

Good call.  Had that came out in the later 80's instead of 1992, that likely would have been a bigger hit than Pull Me Under, but while it got some traction on MTV and was a moderate mainstream rock hit, it was the right song at the wrong time, from a mainstream standpoint.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #244 on: March 27, 2021, 12:55:36 PM »
SFAM Intro (Regression/Overture/1928/Strange Deja Vu/Through My Words - this is a single piece of music)

No, it’s not. And if it were, why does it stop at Through My Words? That doesn’t make sense, since it’s basically a gapless transition into Fatal Tragedy, which you even have on your list.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey