Poll

Who is the MVP of Octavarium?

Petrucci
Portnoy
Labrie
Myung
Rudess

Author Topic: Who is MVP of Octavarium?  (Read 1873 times)

Offline LKap13

Who is MVP of Octavarium?
« on: August 16, 2019, 01:20:47 PM »
Having recently listened to the instrumental version of the album, this one is hands down Rudess for me. Also his work on the title track is some of my favorite

Offline pg1067

Re: Who is MVP of Octavarium?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2019, 01:24:43 PM »
This is another whole band effort.  While I have a hard time thinking of any album on which any drummer would be considered the "MVP," I think MP gets it for all of the production and concept work on this one.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2019, 01:28:44 PM »
Having recently listened to the instrumental version of the album xx

Wait, what? Where can we get that?

Offline LKap13

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2019, 01:32:01 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Joy1QTQShcg

Hopefully this is not "banned content" haha

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2019, 01:34:29 PM »
Jordan. His keyboard work puts it over the top. Octavarium alone. That intro + keyboard solo is like, some of DT's best keyboard work anywhere in their catalog imo.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 01:46:15 PM by Kattelox »
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2019, 01:41:48 PM »
JR

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2019, 01:46:21 PM »
I think JP and MP blew this one out of the ballpark as producers of the album. Everybody's play is consistent and good but I think the bigger picture of the album stands out more, even though I'm not a fan of Octavarium the song.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2019, 01:49:38 PM »
Jordan. His keyboard work puts it over the top. Octavarium alone. That intro + keyboard solo is like, some of DT's best keyboard work anywhere in their catalog imo.

and watching/hearing his live performance on Score is the Best!!

Offline CharlesPL

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2019, 01:55:16 PM »
JR

Offline Volante99

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2019, 03:16:23 PM »
Portnoy - his playing is incredible here

SDOIT, ToT, and 8Vm are a hell of a run for Portnoy creatively and probably his best output.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2019, 03:28:30 PM »

The synth solo starting at 12:00-something is great.  The intro (and particularly the continuum section) is one of the most painfully boring things in the catalog.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2019, 07:15:41 PM »
Honestly, this is an album where everyone is equally at their best and their isn't a clear MVP. I'm going to go with Rudess tho, because I play piano and I am biased.

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2019, 08:53:00 PM »
I have to agree with many others here, Jordan killed in on this record.  And although I don't like the song very much I believe Jordan made Octavarium the DT classic it has become.  And These Walls is one of my favorite DT songs and his parts are why I like the song so much.
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2019, 09:19:56 PM »

The synth solo starting at 12:00-something is great.  The intro (and particularly the continuum section) is one of the most painfully boring things in the catalog.

Man, I couldn't disagree more about the Continuum section. It's a brilliant homage to Pink Floyd and I think the Continuum itself is a fascinating instrument and Jordan uses it to its full potential there. Fun trivia, the Continuum is made by a professor in the city here. If it wasn't so ridiculously expensive I'd buy one. Check this out. https://www.hakenaudio.com/store
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Volante99

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2019, 09:46:47 PM »

Agreed. I actually don’t mind it, but its just sort of contrived. Feels like someone (probably Portnoy lol) was like “okay, Jordan, I want a 4 minute Shine on You Crazy Diamond intro”. Ehhh.

Don’t get me wrong, I love Rudess but beyond some cool stuff on the title track, I’m REALLY not a fan of his solos on this album. Panic Attack and Sacrificed Sons solos are woof, and These Walls would instantly be a better song without all the synth. I kind of feel like the ToT/OCT period was a low point for JR, but he’s been magnificent so far in the Mangini era.

Offline Volante99

« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2019, 09:47:58 PM »
Delete - sorry double post

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2019, 09:54:36 PM »
This is another whole band effort.  While I have a hard time thinking of any album on which any drummer would be considered the "MVP," I think MP gets it for all of the production and concept work on this one.

I might have agreed with this, if not for his lyrics to Never Enough, which are embarrassing and the worst ever penned for a Dream Theater song to date. 

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2019, 10:19:09 PM »
I might have agreed with this, if not for his lyrics to Never Enough, which are embarrassing and the worst ever penned for a Dream Theater song to date.

Maybe, but I think the music is really good.
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2019, 10:31:39 PM »

Agreed. I actually don’t mind it, but its just sort of contrived. Feels like someone (probably Portnoy lol) was like “okay, Jordan, I want a 4 minute Shine on You Crazy Diamond intro”. Ehhh.

To be fair I think that was literally the point given the bigger meaning behind the song. Fits in perfectly with the references section and all the nuggetry in that one song imo.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2019, 10:54:52 PM »
That intro is totally skip-worthy. Even moreso on Score.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2019, 05:07:51 AM »
Nope, and no it's not.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2019, 08:09:49 AM »
JR easy

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2019, 10:44:57 AM »
Rudess.  They keyboard parts on this album are SO tasty.  Honorable mentions go to JM for some equally tasty bass parts and to Portnoy for some of the concepts.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2019, 10:47:16 AM »

Bruh not everything can be heavy metal 24/7

Rudess.  They keyboard parts on this album are SO tasty.  Honorable mentions go to JM for some equally tasty bass parts and to Portnoy for some of the concepts.

That funky bass part in "Medicate Me" is omg! I clipped that out and made it a ringtone for my phone along with the 6:00 drum intro.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 11:25:05 AM by Kattelox »

Offline pg1067

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2019, 12:47:43 PM »

Man, I couldn't disagree more about the Continuum section. It's a brilliant homage to Pink Floyd and I think the Continuum itself is a fascinating instrument and Jordan uses it to its full potential there. Fun trivia, the Continuum is made by a professor in the city here. If it wasn't so ridiculously expensive I'd buy one. Check this out. https://www.hakenaudio.com/store

I won't disagree that the continuum is an interesting instrument, but saying that the intro is an homage to Pink Floyd makes it even more bleh.

I don't know about worst ever, but yeah, they're really bad.

Yup.  Now even longer and crappier!