Poll

Who is the MVP of Awake?

Portnoy
Petrucci
Labrie
Myung
Moore

Author Topic: Who is MVP of Awake?  (Read 2157 times)

Offline LKap13

Who is MVP of Awake?
« on: August 15, 2019, 10:20:01 AM »
I voted Moore. Toss up between Moore and Labrie for me.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Who is MVP of Awake?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2019, 10:42:25 AM »
I'm going to go with James again, as I did with I&W.  The grit and power he brought are amazing and help make the album so dark and edge, which it wouldn't otherwise be.

Moore would be my absolute last choice.  He almost ruins this album for me.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2019, 10:42:48 AM »
I'm going to go with James again, as I did with I&W.  The grit and power he brought are amazing and help make the album so dark and edge, which it wouldn't otherwise be.

Bam, spot on, nuff said.

Oh no. We were almost friends.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2019, 11:00:08 AM »
Going with JP on this one.  Again, JLB would be a close second.  JM is not as strong on this album.  The thing that struck me the first time I heard Awake was the apparently lack of keyboards on large chunks of the album.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2019, 11:22:59 AM »
Kevin Moore.

His more understated keys help make the album more atmospheric and better overall.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2019, 11:47:39 AM »
I almost went JLB because I love his aggressive tone but went with Petrucci just because he has so many amazing melodies and solos.

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2019, 12:13:59 PM »
I chose MP for this one, the only real reason is because I feel he has been behind the band moving towards a heavier sound.  I think most would agree that this album is much heavier that I&W and my guess is MP had a lot to do with that sound direction.

But JLB and JP are close seconds.
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2019, 12:17:17 PM »

I went Labrie. I think Awake may have been his best album as far as outright showing off his abilities.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2019, 01:29:19 PM »
James, if solely on the fact that the stuff they gave him to sing was ridiculous, and he delivered beyond measure.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Volante99

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2019, 01:32:06 PM »
Petrucci, this is peak JP, for me, showcasing everything he can do- riffs, chunky rhythm, face melting shred, and his playing is VERY inventive on Awake.

LaBrie is an honorable mention.

Offline CharlesPL

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2019, 03:13:10 AM »
JP

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2019, 11:18:10 AM »
James

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2019, 12:44:32 PM »
Went with MP because Awake has the best snare sound I've ever heard.  Crisp, clean and powerful.  Love it. :2metal:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2019, 02:32:08 PM »
Went with MP because Awake has the best snare sound I've ever heard.  Crisp, clean and powerful.  Love it. :2metal:

Also agree with this. I think SDOIT and Awake have my favorite MP drum sounds.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline pg1067

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2019, 03:31:24 PM »

Shouldn't that make John Purdell and Duane Baron the MVPs?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2019, 03:35:38 PM »

Yeah. I voted LaBrie in the I&W poll, but this album is peak LaBrie for me. Uses *every* part of his range to full effect. Hard to find another vocal performance like this one.

Wait, what?
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2019, 08:57:30 AM »
Has to be Moore for me. Great atmospheric keyboard playing in the likes of Voices and awesome solo in Scarred. Space Dye Vest is also an utterly unique and brilliant song in DT’s catalog.

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2019, 05:32:48 PM »

Moore. Some of the best ambient keyboard moods of any DT album.

Actually, I think they are THE best, with Six Degrees close behind.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2019, 06:47:16 AM »
It's difficult to say. JP is the MVP of Dream Theater overall, he is the source and the engine. Awake was JLB's best performance as a singer and one of the best performances by any singer on any prog metal album.

Still, I voted for Kevin Moore because a) you guys are haters, all of you!  :lol b) a lot of ink has been spilled about whether DT is better with three heads strong in the game or just two. From the beginning with MP, JP and KM really battling it out for how the songs were going to go, then with MP and JP steering the ship until they allowed Rudess to rock the boat more, and the JP/JR show since MP left. They made good and bad albums in all configurations - but my favorite albums come from the first one. And a large part of that is thanks to KM's unique viewpoint, specific taste, lyrical talents, and artistic trajectory.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline LKap13

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2019, 07:50:18 AM »
It's difficult to say. JP is the MVP of Dream Theater overall, he is the source and the engine. Awake was JLB's best performance as a singer and one of the best performances by any singer on any prog metal album.

Still, I voted for Kevin Moore because a) you guys are haters, all of you!  :lol b) a lot of ink has been spilled about whether DT is better with three heads strong in the game or just two. From the beginning with MP, JP and KM really battling it out for how the songs were going to go, then with MP and JP steering the ship until they allowed Rudess to rock the boat more, and the JP/JR show since MP left. They made good and bad albums in all configurations - but my favorite albums come from the first one. And a large part of that is thanks to KM's unique viewpoint, specific taste, lyrical talents, and artistic trajectory.

Agree

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2019, 10:35:59 AM »

Yup.

Offline Infinite Cactus

• DT.net Member
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2019, 11:51:40 PM »
Kevin with JP right behind him.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2019, 07:11:19 PM »
James sells this record.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2019, 08:59:55 AM »
Voted for James as well. To be honest, I'm not as in love with Awake as most DT fans seem to be. I used to think it's a fairly mediocre, maybe even subpar album. But once I familiarized myself with the songs and started singing along to them, that's when the album clicked for me a lot more. It's so much fun and so challenging to sing, that that's what ultimately sold the album for me, and puts it above certain others.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2019, 03:10:28 AM »
James because of how diverse he is on that record (remember that the guy did I/W two years before that)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"