Poll

Who is the MVP of Image and Words?

Portnoy
Petrucci
Labrie
Myung
Moore

Author Topic: Who is MVP of Image and Words?  (Read 1770 times)

Offline LKap13

Who is MVP of Image and Words?
« on: August 15, 2019, 10:18:51 AM »
There was a thread about MVP of each album a while back but I'm curious to see some poll results.

I voted Potrnoy

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Who is MVP of Image and Words?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2019, 10:20:54 AM »
Tough call between MP and James, but ultimately I went with James. That said, MP is amazing.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2019, 10:41:01 AM »
Tough call between MP and James, but ultimately I went with James. That said, MP is amazing.

Yeah, I agree on James.  His voice is what got a lot of people into this band back then.  All the players are amazing as well, but James is really upfront and brings it home.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2019, 10:51:25 AM »
Yup, chalk up another vote for James here. His voice turns that record from just 'great' to 'amazing.'
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online pg1067

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2019, 10:57:59 AM »
I&W is a serious all-band effort, so picking just one player is tough.  I went with KM because he exemplified how keyboards could work as a featured instrument in a metal band.  JLB and JM would be close behind.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2019, 11:01:31 AM »
I went with KM because he exemplified how keyboards could work as a featured instrument in a metal band. 

That's a really good point and something I gave them huge points for back then.  In the '80s, I was really craving bands using keyboards in a big way that didn't just sound cheesy.  And nobody was doing it back then.  All the hard rock/metal bands that were using keys basically did so to make the music sound more poppy and radio-friendly rather than truly elevating the music by having some complex keyboard parts that complimented the guitars.  When DT came along, they brought that perfect balance of heavy guitars with complex keys that I had been craving, and that was a HUGE draw for me.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2019, 11:23:39 AM »
JLB, for sure.  An all-time great vocal performance (from a total album standpoint).

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2019, 11:44:10 AM »
JLB easy.

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2019, 12:19:15 PM »
I chose JLB as well.  I think he had a lot to prove on this album because it was his first with the band and the band I'm sure was really hoping to finally break through.  And often times the lead singer can make or break a band and JLB delivered big time.
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2019, 01:31:03 PM »
Hearing James on PMU made me think "dang I gotta listen to more of this band!" so based on that I'll go with him. But it is a slim margin over the rest.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Volante99

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2019, 05:15:51 PM »
Hearing James on PMU made me think "dang I gotta listen to more of this band!" so based on that I'll go with him. But it is a slim margin over the rest.

Ditto. Tough call, part of me wants to pick Kevin Moore because I think he’s the ace in the whole here, BUT LaBrie belting out “WATCH THE SPARROW FALLING...” really grabbed my attention annnnd the rest is history and I’ve been a fan ever since.

Offline MarkFitDT

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2019, 02:41:49 AM »
Great performances from all but MVP is definitely James.

Offline CharlesPL

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2019, 03:10:35 AM »
JP

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2019, 11:17:18 AM »
James

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2019, 07:12:48 PM »
LaBrie, followed by JP. Hard not to be the MVP of an album when you hit a freaking F#5 on it.

Offline LKap13

« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2019, 05:05:50 PM »
This is an interesting video of Metropolis with just drums, bass and keys. To me it shows that petrucci was no the MVP of I&W (not that he's getting that many votes anyway)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7YjgFvAofw

Offline Infinite Cactus

• DT.net Member
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2019, 11:50:11 PM »
James. He's untouchable on this and Awake.

Online pg1067

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2019, 05:59:14 PM »
This is an interesting video of Metropolis with just drums, bass and keys. To me it shows that petrucci was no the MVP of I&W (not that he's getting that many votes anyway)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7YjgFvAofw

Huh?  Not arguing, but how exactly does this "show[] that [P]etrucci was no[t] the MVP of I&W"?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline LKap13

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2019, 10:06:40 PM »
The track sounds pretty damn good with just keys, drums and bass. Thst what I meant.

Online pg1067

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2019, 10:17:47 AM »
The track sounds pretty damn good with just keys, drums and bass. Thst what I meant.

Ok, but I don't agree at all.  I found myself filling in the missing guitar and vocals.  It was cool to hear some of the subtle bass stuff that isn't audible with the guitar and vocals, but that's about all.

Offline Loggins

• Rocks.
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2019, 06:14:01 PM »
Portnoy, but if WDADU is taken into consideration James is what takes it home. DT would not be what they are without Labrie.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2019, 02:29:50 PM »
James to me. Imagine this album without him. No dice there at all.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"