Author Topic: Worst song from your favorite band/artist...  (Read 8867 times)

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Worst song from your favorite band/artist...
« Reply #70 on: August 12, 2019, 04:20:57 PM »
Space Dye Vest and Anally I mean Anna Lee are up there
SDV kicks ass!!  When I read the thread title the first thing that popped into my mind was Anna Lee.

From my other top bands...

Pain of Salvation - Like someone mentioned... most of both Road Salts
Led Zeppelin - Hot Dog, probably half of CODA
Rainbow - Do You Close Your Eyes

Whoever said Infinite Dreams should be drawn and quartered!!!   :P :lol

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #71 on: August 12, 2019, 04:26:17 PM »
Neal Morse - Leviathan

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #72 on: August 12, 2019, 04:34:26 PM »
yes!
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #73 on: August 12, 2019, 05:50:00 PM »
Space Dye Vest and Anally I mean Anna Lee are up there

Rising is one of my favorite albums ever......except that track. I don't think it's terrible but without a doubt the weakest link on that album.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #74 on: August 12, 2019, 06:00:20 PM »
How much cocaine were people doing in the late 70s?

From the Wikipedia article about Black Sabbath's Vol. 4 (and sourced to Tony Iommi's autobiography):  "In June 1972, Black Sabbath began work on their fourth album at the Record Plant studios in Los Angeles. . . .  [P] The recording was plagued with problems, many due to substance abuse.  In the studio, the band regularly had speaker boxes full of cocaine delivered."

The album liner notes say "We wish to thank the great COKE-Cola Company of Los Angeles" (the caps are from the original), and on "Snowblind" Ozzy whispers "cocaine", I think it's after the first chorus.  Pretty subtle, huh?

I think he let the cat out of the bag on Speak of the Devil.

Yes.  That song is absolutely awful.  Not sure what Ronnie and Richie were thinking.

No you!   :biggrin:  It's been a while, so I'll give it a listen on my way home tonight.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #75 on: August 12, 2019, 06:54:19 PM »
Rush - How it Is (to me, it's worse than the crummy stuff off RtB/T4E), and just drags down VT as a whole
Dream Theater - Never Enough (the lyrics, my god, man)
Tool - Rosetta Stoned (I don't dislike it, but it really suffers by comparison to most the rest of their material)
Ghost - Idolatrine
The Beatles - Maxwell's Silver Hammer
Led Zeppelin - The Crunge
King Crimson - ProzaKc Blues
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #76 on: August 13, 2019, 10:41:22 AM »

No you!   :biggrin:  It's been a while, so I'll give it a listen on my way home tonight.

As promised, I listened to Infinite Dreams yesterday.  The intro always makes me think of Maiden as a cheesy Vegas lounge act.  The rest of the song demonstrated that Steve Harris had run out of ways to creatively use the I-vi-vii chord progression.  My opinion has not changed.

Can't believe we've gotten this far into the thread and no one has mentioned Revolution 9.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #77 on: August 13, 2019, 10:49:10 AM »
I thought Yellow Submarine was the butt of many a joke by Beatles fans.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline pg1067

« Reply #78 on: August 13, 2019, 10:50:12 AM »
The Beatles definitely had their share of silly/bad songs (although some of their sillier songs were really good).

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #79 on: August 13, 2019, 11:08:17 AM »
Rush:  Emotion Detector, Mystic Rhythms, High Water, Scars, Hand over Fist

Dream Theater:  The Mirror, The Great Debate, Disappear

Iron Maiden:  Infinite Dreams, The Clairvoyant

You Heathen!
You most certainly are!   :-*
I like most of AYAI musically speaking though. (and btw: Rick Wakeman hates what I picked as well. Go figure. And me being a heathen is accurate, I'm not religious at all.)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #80 on: August 13, 2019, 11:16:48 AM »
Yes: And You And I (these lyrics, oh dear me, no), all of Tales From Topographic Oceans

You Heathen!

:lol

And You and I is my favorite Yes song!

It was played during my wedding reception (and our first dance song was the cassette single version of "Quartet, iv. I'm Alive" by ABWH).
I'm sure both these did the trick rather well.

Online Mladen

« Reply #81 on: August 13, 2019, 11:18:47 AM »
Rush - How it Is (to me, it's worse than the crummy stuff off RtB/T4E), and just drags down VT as a whole
Dream Theater - Never Enough (the lyrics, my god, man)
Tool - Rosetta Stoned (I don't dislike it, but it really suffers by comparison to most the rest of their material)
Ghost - Idolatrine
Led Zeppelin - The Crunge
King Crimson - ProzaKc Blues
Man, so many great songs in this one.  :omg:

Online DTA

« Reply #82 on: August 13, 2019, 11:28:17 AM »
Coheed & Cambria - Atlas, Old Flames, Lucky Stars

Atlas just doesn’t seem to go anywhere and the main riff is pretty uninteresting overall. I hate the chorus of Old Flames with a passion. Too cheesy for me and Coheed can usually get away with cheesy very well. Lucky Stars is just too boring as an ender for such a great album.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #83 on: August 13, 2019, 11:42:17 AM »
Lucky Stars is one of the best songs on the album lol
Meanwhile Old Flames is the best song on the album and probably at least top 20 Coheed, what the heck  :lol

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #84 on: August 13, 2019, 12:38:49 PM »

And for Rush, I would put Neurotica, Face Up, and You Bet Your Life WAAAAAAYYYY below anything anyone has mentioned so far.
O gosh yes! 
"New World Man" is another bad one, but I like the rest of signals.
I actually like Dog Years.

You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #85 on: August 13, 2019, 01:12:11 PM »

And for Rush, I would put Neurotica, Face Up, and You Bet Your Life WAAAAAAYYYY below anything anyone has mentioned so far.
O gosh yes! 

Again, no argument, just conversation, but Signals is one of my favorite Rush albums, and New World Man is a top song on it.   It's one of the songs by Rush that really opened me up to the band (Signals was probably my "gateway" CD to the band). 

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #86 on: August 13, 2019, 01:21:17 PM »
I beg to differ. While none of those tracks are great, they are not as bad as some of the others already listed. Face Up just misses the mark. YBYL is a good song, but that cheesy repetitious chorus is annoying. And Neurotica actually is a great song....except for that awful chorus (neurotica....exotica......oooooooooooo) - give it a much better chorus and that song would be killer, IMO. Can't say that for Virtuality (not just the lyrics are garbage), I Think I'm Going Bald (a weird re-write of In the Mood), Dog Years, red lenses or Stupidconductor.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #87 on: August 13, 2019, 01:25:32 PM »

You Heathen!
I like most of AYAI musically speaking though. (and btw: Rick Wakeman hates what I picked as well. Go figure. And me being a heathen is accurate, I'm not religious at all.)
Max, you do realize that my comment was directed back at pg1067 for some of the songs he said are the worst, right? And for that, pg1067 is a heathen!    :biggrin:
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #88 on: August 13, 2019, 01:31:12 PM »

O gosh yes! 

Again, no argument, just conversation, but Signals is one of my favorite Rush albums, and New World Man is a top song on it.   It's one of the songs by Rush that really opened me up to the band (Signals was probably my "gateway" CD to the band).
That's awesome!  I love the rest of Signals but NWM just doesn't connect with me for some reason, maybe because is sounds too much like The Police and the chorus is a bit weak.  The bass-lines are cool though.
My gateway albums to Rush were Exit Stage Left and Presto, and yes I do like Superconductor!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #89 on: August 13, 2019, 01:36:35 PM »

You Heathen!
Max, you do realize that my comment was directed back at pg1067 for some of the songs he said are the worst, right? And for that, pg1067 is a heathen!    :biggrin:
ah right ok, didn't catch that right away, and yes, he apparently would be a heathen for that then :D

Offline Shalev Amir

• Shmoolikipod
« Reply #90 on: August 13, 2019, 01:47:30 PM »
Blaze Bayley - The King of Metal, or The Black Country and I don't even hate the album

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: August 13, 2019, 01:56:57 PM »

O gosh yes! 

That's awesome!  I love the rest of Signals but NWM just doesn't connect with me for some reason, maybe because is sounds too much like The Police and the chorus is a bit weak.  The bass-lines are cool though.
My gateway albums to Rush were Exit Stage Left and Presto, and yes I do like Superconductor!

What do you think about "Grace Under Pressure"?  I hate that record; it's bottom three in my book, and my criticisms are similar to yours on NWM.  It sounds too much like the Police, the choruses (in general) are weak, and I despise Neal's drum sound on that record.   (Though I LOVE Presto and LOVE Superconductor).

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #92 on: August 13, 2019, 02:43:14 PM »
  And Neurotica actually is a great song....except for that awful chorus (neurotica....exotica......oooooooooooo) - give it a much better chorus and that song would be killer, IMO. 

Agreed.  I remember the instrumental track being used on the Rio documentary and it sounded really cool; really good vibe.  Just needed a better chorus.  I still like it.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #93 on: August 13, 2019, 03:25:09 PM »

O gosh yes! 

Signals was the first Rush album I bought, and NWM was the "hit" single.  I was initially a little turned off by the keyboards, but I fairly quickly learned that keyboards didn't mean automatic suckage.  Over the years, NWM has lost some luster for me, but that's only because I think 6 of the other 7 songs on the album are way better (The Weapon being the exception).  It's a decent little song, but it's merely good, not great.

What do you think about "Grace Under Pressure"?  I hate that record; it's bottom three in my book, and my criticisms are similar to yours on NWM.  It sounds too much like the Police, the choruses (in general) are weak, and I despise Neal's drum sound on that record.   (Though I LOVE Presto and LOVE Superconductor).

The only reason Superconductor isn't the worst song on Presto is because Hand over Fist and Scars exist.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #94 on: August 13, 2019, 04:47:46 PM »

O gosh yes! 

I've grown to like it over the years. Between the Wheels is a stand alone track, especially after seeing it played live on the R30 tour and dvd..
Afterimage is really a deep cut, and has a lot of depth in the lyrics.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: August 13, 2019, 06:30:31 PM »
The Beatles-Revolution #9

Queen-at first it was 'Another One Bites The Dust', but due to its popularity, they had to follow that up with......'Body Language' <aargh>
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: August 14, 2019, 07:01:59 AM »

O gosh yes! 

Signals was the first Rush album I bought, and NWM was the "hit" single.  I was initially a little turned off by the keyboards, but I fairly quickly learned that keyboards didn't mean automatic suckage.  Over the years, NWM has lost some luster for me, but that's only because I think 6 of the other 7 songs on the album are way better (The Weapon being the exception).  It's a decent little song, but it's merely good, not great.

I love Geddy's singing on that song, though.

The only reason Superconductor isn't the worst song on Presto is because Hand over Fist and Scars exist.

But isn't that kind of like saying "wow, she's not the hottest cheerleader on the squad!" or "wow, that's the slowest NASCAR car".  ;)   :)    (I think very highly of Presto, if you can't tell.)

Offline pg1067

« Reply #97 on: August 14, 2019, 10:04:55 AM »
reason Superconductor isn't the worst song on Presto is because Hand over Fist and Scars exist.

But isn't that kind of like saying "wow, she's not the hottest cheerleader on the squad!" or "wow, that's the slowest NASCAR car".  ;)   :)    (I think very highly of Presto, if you can't tell.)

No...

Saying Witch Hunt is the "worst" song on Moving Pictures is like saying that ____ is the ugliest of the Denver Broncos Cheerleaders.

Scars is NOT AT ALL to my taste, but I can see why some folks like it.  Hand over Fist is embarrassingly bad (back in the day, we used the adjective "gay" to describe it).  Superconductor might be ok with a better chorus.  If those three songs were removed from the album, then it would probably be on par with Signals.  Available Light is probably a top 5 post-Signals Rush song.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: August 14, 2019, 10:33:52 AM »
reason Superconductor isn't the worst song on Presto is because Hand over Fist and Scars exist.

No...

Saying Witch Hunt is the "worst" song on Moving Pictures is like saying that ____ is the ugliest of the Denver Broncos Cheerleaders.

Scars is NOT AT ALL to my taste, but I can see why some folks like it.  Hand over Fist is embarrassingly bad (back in the day, we used the adjective "gay" to describe it).  Superconductor might be ok with a better chorus.  If those three songs were removed from the album, then it would probably be on par with Signals.  Available Light is probably a top 5 post-Signals Rush song.

Now you're talkin'! 

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #99 on: August 14, 2019, 11:08:45 AM »
I love all of Presto!  There's nothing "gay" about Hand over Fist ( not that there's anything wrong with that).  The bridge section is awesome "take a look outside yourself in some exotic land, great a passing stranger, feel the strength in his hand feel the world expand".  That's actually a pretty clever song, and Alex's guitar work is great.
Scars is also an amazing song. The subtleties of the guitar really make it a standout track, and how the bass line carries it. "I hear the lions hunting in the Serengeti nights" gives me chills...
didn't mean to turn this into a Rush thread.   :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #100 on: August 14, 2019, 12:32:10 PM »
I love all of Presto!  There's nothing "gay" about Hand over Fist ( not that there's anything wrong with that).  The bridge section is awesome "take a look outside yourself in some exotic land, great a passing stranger, feel the strength in his hand feel the world expand".  That's actually a pretty clever song, and Alex's guitar work is great.

Hand over Fist always struck me as a song that one of those manufactured Disney teen vocal groups with a dance that revolved around "hand over fist, paper around the stone...."  Like I said before, embarrassingly bad.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: August 14, 2019, 02:02:54 PM »

Hand over Fist always struck me as a song that one of those manufactured Disney teen vocal groups with a dance that revolved around "hand over fist, paper around the stone...."  Like I said before, embarrassingly bad.

For all the praise of Neil as a lyricist, not all of them are winners, and I see a lot of his more highly regarded lyrics and think "WTF?".  Not this one; I think this is one of his best lyrics, and works on several levels.

The "competitive nature" of rock-paper-scissors, and how the metaphor of a clenched fist is powerful in that context, but even that can be beat by "paper" (also a metaphor, for intellectualism and idealism).  The fragility and transience of relationships ("We grow further apart").  How those relationships can be improved (and conflict avoided) by the opening of the fist into a hand, and laying hand over hand, another way of saying "holding hands", can overcome (not to mention the added metaphor of "open", as in open mind, open heart, and the aforementioned open hands). 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: August 14, 2019, 02:09:31 PM »
"I hear the lions hunting in the Serengeti nights" gives me chills...

There is another rock song with Serengeti in the lyrics?!?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #103 on: August 14, 2019, 02:37:55 PM »
"I hear the lions hunting in the Serengeti nights" gives me chills...

There is another rock song with Serengeti in the lyrics?!?

:lol

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline pg1067

« Reply #104 on: August 14, 2019, 03:12:05 PM »

For all the praise of Neil as a lyricist, not all of them are winners, and I see a lot of his more highly regarded lyrics and think "WTF?".  Not this one; I think this is one of his best lyrics, and works on several levels.

The "competitive nature" of rock-paper-scissors, and how the metaphor of a clenched fist is powerful in that context, but even that can be beat by "paper" (also a metaphor, for intellectualism and idealism).  The fragility and transience of relationships ("We grow further apart").  How those relationships can be improved (and conflict avoided) by the opening of the fist into a hand, and laying hand over hand, another way of saying "holding hands", can overcome (not to mention the added metaphor of "open", as in open mind, open heart, and the aforementioned open hands).

Even if I agreed with you (and I'm not saying one way or the other), it would be an example of my rule of thumb that really bad lyrics can ruin a musically good song, but even the best lyrics can't save a musically bad/uninteresting/unappealing song (and, in this case, at least part of the lyrics are significantly less than "the best").