Author Topic: Worst song from your favorite band/artist...  (Read 8880 times)

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
Re: Worst song from your favorite band/artist...
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2019, 07:30:43 AM »
Dream Theater - Just Let Me Breathe

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2019, 07:32:09 AM »
Mine:

Kiss: Shandi; Hooligan (won't go to school again)
Yes:  Arriving UFO; Circus Of Heaven
Genesis: More Fool Me; That's All
Led Zeppelin:  The Crunge; Hat's Off To Roy Harper
ELP:  Benny The Bouncer
Maiden: Eeesh... Mother Russia (there are worse songs, but that was the biggest fail, IMO); Quest For Fire
Rainbow:  Black Sheep Of The Family (how's that for irony)
Beatles: Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2019, 07:35:40 AM »
Maiden: Eeesh... Mother Russia (there are worse songs, but that was the biggest fail, IMO)

RUSSIA!!!  :)
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2019, 08:10:01 AM »
Dream Theater - This Is The Life (first one to come to mind, although I might be able to argue a couple others)

You know, there was this Top 10 songs from Mangini era poll in the DT section of this forum, and this was one of the songs I picked. :lol Still one of my favourites from ADTOE along with BAI and BTS.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2019, 08:10:59 AM »
Dream Theater - This Is The Life (first one to come to mind, although I might be able to argue a couple others)

You know, there was this Top 10 songs from Mangini era poll in the DT section of this forum, and this was one of the songs I picked. :lol Still one of my favourites from ADTOE along with BAI and BTS.

I get why some people like it, but I can't fathom putting it in the top 10; I despise everything about that song especially the lyrics. BTS however is one of their best ballads imo, that's a home run.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Freeze

« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2019, 08:16:18 AM »
Rush - Rivendell

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2019, 08:43:53 AM »
When I put together a playlist on Spotify that's all the Rush studio albums I only left one song off - Tai Shan.

the Wildhearts - She's All That. If she is then why did you write such a flat sounding song about her? :sad:

Queensryche - Wot We Do. Fucking hell.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2019, 09:06:05 AM »

I get why some people like it, but I can't fathom putting it in the top 10; I despise everything about that song especially the lyrics. BTS however is one of their best ballads imo, that's a home run.

Katt, not as argument, but just as a data point, if I did my Top Ten DT songs, "TITL" is the only Mangini era song to make the list.  BY FAR my favorite song since September, 2010.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2019, 09:32:07 AM »
TITL won’t make my MM Era Top 10, but it is a damn near perfectly written song. Excellent on all fronts.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2019, 09:48:04 AM »
TITL won’t make my MM Era Top 10, but it is a damn near perfectly written song. Excellent on all fronts.

TAC continuing to be wrong.  :lol

Stadler, I saw that coming while I was writing that post  :biggrin:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2019, 10:10:13 AM »
Kattelfail
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2019, 10:49:13 AM »
Kattelfail

Hope you got better names in your TACkle box  :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2019, 10:50:48 AM »
Space Dye Vest

I'll give you that one.  But for my mileage:

Dream Theater - Prophets of War
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2019, 10:52:29 AM »

It's not anywhere near my top 10.  In fact, it ranks near the bottom on the album for me.  That said, it's still pretty awesome, and I can't fathom anyone despising it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2019, 10:53:46 AM »
I enjoy many tunes mentioned in this thread, Spitfall, Dog Years, Rivendell, You Not Me.

I do follow Just Let Me Breathe and I'll add The Dark Eternal Night, I probably find to me more annoying now. Although I don't know if either are candidates for their worst song.

Marillion: Lucky Man
The Dear Hunter: Go Get Your Gun
Kevin Gilbert: Making Kristy Cry (Kaviar)

« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 03:09:54 PM by SoundscapeMN »

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2019, 11:27:09 AM »
oh yeah that's a good pick for TDH
Though I havent listened to act 5 much because I find it very consistently mediocre

Offline pg1067

« Reply #51 on: August 12, 2019, 11:56:18 AM »
Rush:  The Body Electric, Red Lenses, Emotion Detector, Mystic Rhythms, Prime Mover, Tai Shan, High Water, Scars, Hand over Fist, Roll the Bones and Virtuality.

Dream Theater:  Innocence Faced, The Mirror, New Millennium, The Great Debate, Disappear, Repentance and The Best of Times (and, if you want to count them, pretty much all of the FII reject songs)

Fates Warning:  Shades of Heavenly Death

Yes:  Five Per Cent for Nothing, Arriving UFO, White Car

Iron Maiden:  Twilight Zone, Back in the Village, Infinite Dreams, The Clairvoyant

That's all for now.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline pg1067

« Reply #52 on: August 12, 2019, 11:59:45 AM »
Yes: And You And I (these lyrics, oh dear me, no), all of Tales From Topographic Oceans

You Heathen!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #53 on: August 12, 2019, 12:00:54 PM »
While neither Dog Years nor Superconductor is a standout, I will take both over I Think I'm Going Bald, which is pretty blah.  I'd put Time and Motion and Rivendell way down there as well.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #54 on: August 12, 2019, 12:09:45 PM »
Yes: And You And I (these lyrics, oh dear me, no), all of Tales From Topographic Oceans

You Heathen!

:lol

And You and I is my favorite Yes song!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline pg1067

« Reply #55 on: August 12, 2019, 12:13:23 PM »

You Heathen!

:lol

And You and I is my favorite Yes song!

It was played during my wedding reception (and our first dance song was the cassette single version of "Quartet, iv. I'm Alive" by ABWH).

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: August 12, 2019, 12:20:54 PM »
Rush:  The Body Electric, Red Lenses, Emotion Detector, Mystic Rhythms, Prime Mover, Tai Shan, High Water, Scars, Hand over Fist, Roll the Bones and Virtuality.

Dream Theater:  Innocence Faced, The Mirror, New Millennium, The Great Debate, Disappear, Repentance and The Best of Times (and, if you want to count them, pretty much all of the FII reject songs)

Iron Maiden:  Twilight Zone, Back in the Village, Infinite Dreams, The Clairvoyant

That's all for now.

Not just you, since your opinion is the more popular one, but I still can't fathom the lack of respect for Back In The Village.  I LOVE that song.  It's on my favorite album side in the Maiden catalogue, and I would venture it's my favorite song on said side.

Also, one of the FII reject songs (Cover My Eyes) is in my DT top ten and Prime Mover is in my Rush top 20 (that BASSLINE!)

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #57 on: August 12, 2019, 12:21:24 PM »
Rush:  Emotion Detector, Mystic Rhythms, High Water, Scars, Hand over Fist

Dream Theater:  The Mirror, The Great Debate, Disappear

Iron Maiden:  Infinite Dreams, The Clairvoyant

You Heathen!
You most certainly are!   :-*
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: August 12, 2019, 12:26:22 PM »
Oh, I have a good one, and it even has a music video.

Toto - All Us Boys

This song singlehandedly ruins an otherwise awesome album. Why? Nobody thought this was a bad idea at any point during the writing, recording, and shooting processes? Nobody had second thoughts?  How much cocaine were people doing in the late 70s?

Offline Ruba

« Reply #59 on: August 12, 2019, 12:27:18 PM »
Not just you, since your opinion is the more popular one, but I still can't fathom the lack of respect for Back In The Village.  I LOVE that song.  It's on my favorite album side in the Maiden catalogue, and I would venture it's my favorite song on said side.

The one argument against Back in the Village I've heard is that it has a very repetitive chorus. Yeah, I can see your point but it's hardly the worst offender in Maiden's discography and I don't really mind it. Great song.

Probably my favourite FW song.  :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #60 on: August 12, 2019, 12:32:42 PM »

That's all for now.

Also, one of the FII reject songs (Cover My Eyes) is in my DT top ten and Prime Mover is in my Rush top 20 (that BASSLINE!)

I didn't figure my mention of BITV would escape your notice.  I listened to Powerslave last week and really tried to keep an open mind when I got to BITV, but nothing has changed.

As far as the Rush stuff, I'm still of the opinion that a lot of those "synth era" songs are decent songs that were performed and recorded poorly.  The Body Electric is a good example, and I offer this as evidence:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVDDub4UtPU (as a caveat, I haven't watched this particular video, but I saw the same band perform it live in February of this year, and it was awesome).

Probably my favourite FW song.  :lol

For me, it suffers by comparison to the rest of No Exit, which is completely epic.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #61 on: August 12, 2019, 12:35:44 PM »
How much cocaine were people doing in the late 70s?

How much was available?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: August 12, 2019, 12:37:05 PM »

How much was available?

I've never wanted a time machine more than right now.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #63 on: August 12, 2019, 12:46:54 PM »

From the Wikipedia article about Black Sabbath's Vol. 4 (and sourced to Tony Iommi's autobiography):  "In June 1972, Black Sabbath began work on their fourth album at the Record Plant studios in Los Angeles. . . .  [P] The recording was plagued with problems, many due to substance abuse.  In the studio, the band regularly had speaker boxes full of cocaine delivered."

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: August 12, 2019, 02:14:45 PM »
True Confessions - Blue Öyster Cult
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #65 on: August 12, 2019, 03:52:18 PM »

Katt, not as argument, but just as a data point, if I did my Top Ten DT songs, "TITL" is the only Mangini era song to make the list.  BY FAR my favorite song since September, 2010.

I might be with you there. The song, the melody, the actual recording (which plays to James' strengths), the whole thing is just a home run. I rarely listen that whole record, but that song has made onto many non-DT playlists.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #66 on: August 12, 2019, 03:58:22 PM »
While I hate the idea of 'filler', there are some songs where the band was obviously just f'ing around (Inside off of 5150 always struck me as this).

But then there are songs where the band was obviously trying, and well, they just screwed the pooch.

I've been on a huge Tool kick as of late, and the one song that frustrates me more than any other is "Rosetta Stoned".

It SHOULD be a gem. I mean, there's only like six 'real' songs (you know what I mean!) on 10,000 days, and this ten-plus minute rocker that should be the climax of the album has Maynard babbling on and on over a hodge-podge collection of riffs. I have tried, and tried, and tried to get into this song, and I think I just realized that I never need to hear it again.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #67 on: August 12, 2019, 04:02:02 PM »
Nah rosetta stoned is actually just that boring you're fine

Most of the back half of that album is bland as hell tbh but that's the worst offender for sure

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: August 12, 2019, 04:17:21 PM »
Not my favorite artist, necessarily, but I'm a big (closet) Dead fan, and I find Pigpen's "Turn On Your Lovelight" to be often very hard to listen to. 

Judas Priest: Evil Fantasies

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: August 12, 2019, 04:19:54 PM »

From the Wikipedia article about Black Sabbath's Vol. 4 (and sourced to Tony Iommi's autobiography):  "In June 1972, Black Sabbath began work on their fourth album at the Record Plant studios in Los Angeles. . . .  [P] The recording was plagued with problems, many due to substance abuse.  In the studio, the band regularly had speaker boxes full of cocaine delivered."

The album liner notes say "We wish to thank the great COKE-Cola Company of Los Angeles" (the caps are from the original), and on "Snowblind" Ozzy whispers "cocaine", I think it's after the first chorus.  Pretty subtle, huh?