Author Topic: Worst song from your favorite band/artist...  (Read 8878 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Worst song from your favorite band/artist...
« Reply #105 on: August 14, 2019, 10:27:47 PM »
I love all of Presto!  There's nothing "gay" about Hand over Fist ( not that there's anything wrong with that).  The bridge section is awesome "take a look outside yourself in some exotic land, great a passing stranger, feel the strength in his hand feel the world expand".  That's actually a pretty clever song, and Alex's guitar work is great.
Scars is also an amazing song. The subtleties of the guitar really make it a standout track, and how the bass line carries it. "I hear the lions hunting in the Serengeti nights" gives me chills...
didn't mean to turn this into a Rush thread.   :lol

I love Presto. Except for War Paint.

and The Pass.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #106 on: August 14, 2019, 10:35:06 PM »
...and The Pass.

I loved The Pass from the first time I heard it. Whenever I heard it on the radio I never heard them say the name of the artist, so it took me a while to find out it was a Rush song. Which was a weird revelation for me because at the time I only really associated Rush with their 2112-MP sound.

On topic, I am not sure what I'd consider DT''s "worst" song. I know I can't give it to You Not Me, I like it more than others do. Same with Prophets of War. Not sure if Raw Dog counts. I can't say I've heard that song more than twice.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #107 on: August 14, 2019, 10:39:15 PM »
I love Prophets Of War.

You would've heard Raw Dog more if it was on an album, but I think you mentioned that you're not a fan of instrumentals.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #108 on: August 14, 2019, 11:36:51 PM »
Correct, as a general rule I prefer songs with vocals. And yes since it is a stand-alone, I have to go a little bit extra to listen to it, either by buying it (assuming it is available as a digital download) or going to YT or Spotify, none of which are worth it based on the couple times I've heard it.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #109 on: August 15, 2019, 05:54:36 AM »
The Pass?  :o  :huh:

It's in my Top 10 favorite Rush songs, lol.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #110 on: August 15, 2019, 05:56:59 AM »
The Beatles - She's A Woman
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #111 on: August 15, 2019, 06:14:39 AM »

I love that song and it seems to come up on shuffle more than most Rush songs. Beautiful tune.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline T-ski

« Reply #112 on: August 15, 2019, 07:33:39 AM »
The Pass is great.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #113 on: August 15, 2019, 08:39:59 AM »

On topic, I am not sure what I'd consider DT''s "worst" song. I know I can't give it to You Not Me, I like it more than others do. Same with Prophets of War. Not sure if Raw Dog counts. I can't say I've heard that song more than twice.

The pool is small, but that pool would include all the songs where Mike thought he was Barney Greenway*, and all the songs with Doug Pinnick doing guest vocals.   

* I'm using that reference to very loosely include all the vocals that are growly, cookie-monster-ish or whatever; i get the differences it's just not worth the effort to distinguish.  In any event, it's just not what I listen to DT for.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #114 on: August 15, 2019, 09:46:14 AM »

How many of their albums have you actually heard? ;D

The pool is small, but that pool would include all the songs where Mike thought he was Barney Greenway*, and all the songs with Doug Pinnick doing guest vocals.   

I love Lines In The Sand!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #115 on: August 15, 2019, 09:52:36 AM »

I love Lines In The Sand!
The song itself is awesome; I love it live and in demo form.  The Pinnick vocals though, ruin it for me.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #116 on: August 15, 2019, 10:13:55 AM »
Well, they don't ruin it for me, but they definitely do suck.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: August 15, 2019, 10:25:30 AM »
Well, they don't ruin it for me, but they definitely do suck.

I bet your debut album would be called Suck & Blow  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #118 on: August 15, 2019, 10:26:50 AM »
I'm not a fan of Kings X

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #119 on: August 15, 2019, 10:35:35 AM »
I'm not a fan of Kings X

Nor am I.  I keep hearing how great they are, and every time I sample them, I'm like "wha?"

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #120 on: August 15, 2019, 12:26:56 PM »
You both cray cray.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline pg1067

« Reply #121 on: August 15, 2019, 01:54:54 PM »
I'm not a fan of Kings X

Nor am I.  I keep hearing how great they are, and every time I sample them, I'm like "wha?"

Make that 3.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline robbob

« Reply #122 on: August 15, 2019, 02:19:17 PM »
As far as Rush goes, there are a couple.
Don't think I have heard Red Lenses mentioned. Horrible, horrible song! Too electronic, worst of the 80's type of sound.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: August 15, 2019, 02:26:44 PM »
I remember thinking King's X's Black Flag was a decent song/video when it came up on MTV. Not sure I know anything else of theirs off the top of my dome.

Have no idea what the DT guys where thinking when the "we should have vocals like that in one of our songs" brainstorm.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #124 on: August 15, 2019, 02:37:37 PM »
They toured together, they liked each other he sang on a song.  Pretty simple.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #125 on: August 15, 2019, 02:40:14 PM »
Rush- Dog years

I'll go with Virtuality from the same album.  "Net boy, net girl, send your signal around the world.  Put your message in modem and throw it in the cyber sea." :umno:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #126 on: August 15, 2019, 03:12:19 PM »
Rush- Dog years

I'll go with Virtuality from the same album.  "Net boy, net girl, send your signal around the world.  Put your message in modem and throw it in the cyber sea." :umno:
I think that's a catchy chorus.  The main riff is so cool!  :metal
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #127 on: August 15, 2019, 03:38:59 PM »
Everyone told me Dogman was King's X's best album so I bought it - used at a record store, $3 - and ended up giving it away somewhere. It was like grunge but not even as interesting. I was disappointed because I was looking forward to them, and being a fan of Ty Tabor from The Jelly Jam, I was bummed that it was totally different and 90s grunge-rock stuff.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #128 on: August 15, 2019, 03:43:51 PM »
Rush- Dog years

Yeah, I'll give it that, but the cheesy lyrics kill it.  Now, I'm not much of a lyrics guy if the music is ok, but those are just flat out bad. :yeahright
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline pg1067

« Reply #129 on: August 15, 2019, 05:13:45 PM »
Rush- Dog years

You mean the one where Alex tried to sound like a dial-up modem?   :lol :lol

I cringed at that and at the lyrics even in 1996.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #130 on: August 15, 2019, 05:28:05 PM »
Not counting songs that are extremely short, like NOMAC/intro/interlude tracks. Here's a top 10:

01. Dream Theater - Repentance, easily, no contest.
02. Diablo Swing Orchestra - Hmmm. Probably the back half of Stratosphere Serenade or Aurora. No obvious duds for me.
03. Muse - Psycho for the atrocious lyrics (but it has a decent riff so eh), Guiding Light in general.
04. iamthemorning - K.O.S. or I Came Before the Water Part II, I guess. No obvious duds for me.
05. Taylor Swift - End Game. Most of her songs with guest artists don't really work that well, but End Game is BY FAR the worst.
06. Haken - Veil.
07. Ne Obliviscaris - Pyrrhic or As the Icicles Fall. Not exactly bad, but they don't hit as hard as the rest.
08. Epica - Beyond the Matrix: The Battle (featuring the Metropole Orkest)
09. Ayreon - Web of Lies. Not sure what purposes it serves.
10. Sergei Rachmaninoff - Most of the REALLY early stuff, like the Three Nocturnes.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #131 on: August 15, 2019, 10:35:30 PM »
Rush- Dog years

Net sucks and net blows.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #132 on: August 16, 2019, 12:35:09 AM »
Rush- Dog years

:lol
 I'm actually talking about the opening heavy riff.. Bad-ass!  :metal
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #133 on: August 18, 2019, 06:36:35 AM »
Taylor Swift - End Game. Most of her songs with guest artists don't really work that well, but End Game is BY FAR the worst.
Really, you like ME! better than End Game? End Game is pretty bad, but ME! was freaking terrible. The Archer and Lover were pretty good so I still have high hopes for the album, but when I heard the first single I was just like... this is it you guys... she finally lost it  :lol

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #134 on: August 18, 2019, 07:53:13 AM »
Taylor Swift - End Game. Most of her songs with guest artists don't really work that well, but End Game is BY FAR the worst.
Really, you like ME! better than End Game? End Game is pretty bad, but ME! was freaking terrible. The Archer and Lover were pretty good so I still have high hopes for the album, but when I heard the first single I was just like... this is it you guys... she finally lost it  :lol

Oh yeah, to be fair ME! Is definitely not one of her best, but at least it's fun in a Gangnam Style/Thrift Shop kinda way. End Game is bad AND it's not fun. It takes itself too seriously tbh and the production doesn't slap hard enough to make up for the bad presentation.

Also Ed Sheeran raps on it and that's just unforgivable

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #135 on: August 18, 2019, 09:06:13 AM »
I do not get the phenomenon that is Ed Sheeran.  I just don't. 

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #136 on: August 18, 2019, 09:40:52 AM »
I do not get the phenomenon that is Ed Sheeran.  I just don't.

As someone who does like Ed Sheeran a bit, I'm just going to say that you're not alone in that. He's generally not well liked on r/popheads, for example. I do understand why people would like him tho, because he brought a more poppy/hip-hop influenced rhythmic sensibility to a folksy singer-songwriter kind of style and his lyrics are fairly well-written even if they're not your cup of tea. So he basically combined the perceived authenticity of folk/singer-songwriters with the clarity and driving rhythms of pop/hip-hop

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #137 on: August 18, 2019, 10:09:22 AM »
the biggest reason ed sheeran is famous is because ellie goulding cheated on him so he wrote a pretty good song about that and now he barely tries to make good music anymore but nobody has stepped up to replace him

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #138 on: August 18, 2019, 05:25:16 PM »
Lucky Stars is one of the best songs on the album lol
Meanwhile Old Flames is the best song on the album and probably at least top 20 Coheed, what the heck  :lol

Lucky Stars is definitely in the top 5 on the album and I agree Old Flames is #1 (although not a top 20 song for me).

If we're talking Coheed I'd say Al the Killer is one of their worst and certainly one of their most overrated, up there with Domino the Destitute.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #139 on: August 19, 2019, 02:43:10 AM »
My least favourite DT song is everything off The Astonishing.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."