Author Topic: Are there any major fan favorites that you think are good, but not great?  (Read 9007 times)

Offline Mladen

This probably occurs with every band for me. Are there any Dream Theater songs that majority of fans absolutely adore and rank very high, but you just "like" them?  I'm picking the following tracks:

Lines in the sand
Six degrees of inner turbulence
Endless sacrifice
In the name of God
At wit's end

How about you?

Offline pg1067

Lines in the Sand is "absolutely adored" by a "majority of fans"?  If it is, then I definitely agree with you.

The first thing that came to my mind is Pull me Under.  Also Under a Glass Moon.

Also ITPOE and The Mirror, but I don't really even "like" those songs and actively dislike The Mirror.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Pretty much anything on SFAM. Good album, not 'great' imo. Spirit Carries On specifically...
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
SDOIT, has some great tracks, but the song as a whole really isn't that great.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
Barstool Warrior - It is one of the most liked songs (if not the most) from the new album. Even though it has grown on me a little, I still think is not that great of a song.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Madman Shepherd

Pretty much anything on SFAM. Good album, not 'great' imo. Spirit Carries On specifically...

I agree with you on Spirit and half of the album. The other half is excellent. As a whole though, yeah, I guess I would consider the album "good" not "great"

Offline zappafrank2112

The entire Octavarium album

It's bottom tier for me, for sure.

Offline romdrums

I agree with you on Spirit and half of the album. The other half is excellent. As a whole though, yeah, I guess I would consider the album "good" not "great"

Same here.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Volante99

The entire D/T - nothing really offensively bad but it’s all just kinda meh to me.

Pale Blue Dot, specifically. Listened to this song numerous times including live and I’m still not exactly sure what it sounds like. Just completely devoid of any sort of hook or anything memorable.

Hollow Years- SUPER cheesy ballad only partially redeemed live by the great Petrucci solo

Along for the Ride- not necessarily a fan favorite but, again, cheesy to the max. And not a good cheese. Moldy, stinky, kraft single that’s been sitting in a fridge for 2 years kind of cheese.

Offline Setlist Scotty

Spirit Carries On
Not sure whether I would include this song or not - hard to say. But I certainly am tired of hearing it live. Same with AIA and PMU.

Barstool Warrior - It is one of the most liked songs (if not the most) from the new album. Even though it has grown on me a little, I still think is not that great of a song.
Definitely this! Good song, but I prefer more than half the other songs on d/t over this one.

Also Our New World - don't get the adoring praise for this song. And Metropolis - good song, but for me, not great.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

Pale Blue Dot, specifically. Listened to this song numerous times including live and I’m still not exactly sure what it sounds like. Just completely devoid of any sort of hook or anything memorable.

Agreed. I can definitely see why BW and AWE have become modern DT "classics" so to speak, but PBD just doesn't do it for me.

Offline krands85

This one for me too, along with S2N on the latest album. Not sure if they're major fan favourites yet, but either way, I don't like them as much as a lot of the other tracks on the album. I agree with Scotty about Our New World too - there are lots of things I like about The Astonishing, but ONW isn't one of them. I'm also with those who mention 6DOIT, for some reason I've never fallen in love with the song, or the album itself.

Looking at the current standings of the DT league, not much else sticks out that much, except maybe Erotomania with a 19-2 record so far. Again, not sure if it's a major fan favourite, but I prefer most of the bands other instrumentals.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
I might now put The Glass Prison in this category.  I loved it like crazy at first and considered it easily the best song from 6DOIT, but now it is one of my least-listened-to tracks from the entire album.  I still like it quite a bit, but not sure I love it any more. At one point, it was a top 20 DT song in my eyes, but now would likely be merely top 50 (which still makes it very good).

Offline DTA

I might now put The Glass Prison in this category.  I loved it like crazy at first and considered it easily the best song from 6DOIT, but now it is one of my least-listened-to tracks from the entire album.  I still like it quite a bit, but not sure I love it any more. At one point, it was a top 20 DT song in my eyes, but now would likely be merely top 50 (which still makes it very good).

Definitely TGP. The whole song is pretty cool up until the "Run fast from the wreckage of the past" part which goes on FOREVERRRRRRRR. If that part was edited or just removed, I think TGP would be a much better track. Unfortunately, the lyrics probably dictated the length and extending music to accommodate excess lyrics is never a good idea.

Offline Setlist Scotty

Unfortunately, the lyrics probably dictated the length and extending music to accommodate excess lyrics is never a good idea.
Doubtful - the music is always written first and the lyrics come later. Of course, there could've been some editing done later (which I think was the case for a measure or two in TDS, and I know a 20 second drum solo at the end of TGP was removed), but I don't think that was probably the case here.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline DTA

Unfortunately, the lyrics probably dictated the length and extending music to accommodate excess lyrics is never a good idea.
Doubtful - the music is always written first and the lyrics come later. Of course, there could've been some editing done later (which I think was the case for a measure or two in TDS, and I know a 20 second drum solo at the end of TGP was removed), but I don't think that was probably the case here.

Of course they write the music first, but in order to dedicate adequate time to each Step of the 12-Steps, I'm sure allowances had to be made to accommodate more lyrics otherwise the concept would not seem fully realized. Unfortunately it's a problem that plagues every 12-Step Song, they're all overly repetitive and drawn out.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Man I love that 'run fast from the wreckage of the past' part. It's got groove. Shit slaps.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline EPIC Outro

Trial of Tears. Nothing wrong with the song, but I don't dig it as much as some others.

Learning to Live - Beautiful song, but I prefer Scarred.

Dance of Eternity - I'm sure it is musically impressive, and I appreciate it more now than I used to, but not a favorite.

Panic Attack - Don't care for this tune.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 09:42:27 AM by EPIC Outro »

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
The Count of Tuscany...but I don't know if that's a fan favorite.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline TheCountOfNYC

The Glass Prison. It’s good but bloated.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline 425

Just judging by its reception on this forum, I’d agree with Our New World. The more time goes on, the more positive I am about The Astonishing in general, but I still don’t see Our New World as the sort of smash-hit, anthemic single that-would-be-on-the-radio-in-a-better-time. It’s a song with a role to play on the album and in the story, and it does so well, but I don’t know that I would rank it above the middle of the album.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Online MirrorMask

Just judging by its reception on this forum, I’d agree with Our New World. The more time goes on, the more positive I am about The Astonishing in general, but I still don’t see Our New World as the sort of smash-hit, anthemic single that-would-be-on-the-radio-in-a-better-time. It’s a song with a role to play on the album and in the story, and it does so well, but I don’t know that I would rank it above the middle of the album.

Since day 1 I've always considered Our New World an average, repetitive song and Astonishing an awesome and heartfelt climax to the album.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Octavarium
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline 425

Since day 1 I've always considered Our New World an average, repetitive song and Astonishing an awesome and heartfelt climax to the album.

I agree with this and have always been confused that DTF consensus has seemed to be the opposite.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline emtee

TSCo,  8V and PMU. PMU was life changing for me but JLB
struggles with it greatly nowadays and that detracts from the
songs impact.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni

I agree with this and have always been confused that DTF consensus has seemed to be the opposite.

Part of the reason I like ONW so much is that the riff is fun, probably the only one like it since About To Crash. It's just got this looser, catchy rock vibe that Dream Theater honestly doesn't do that often. It's refreshing to hear to me, but I get why some don't like it

Offline Volante99

Part of the reason I like ONW so much is that the riff is fun, probably the only one like it since About To Crash. It's just got this looser, catchy rock vibe that Dream Theater honestly doesn't do that often. It's refreshing to hear to me, but I get why some don't like it

Our New World is great, and I dislike the Astonishing as a whole. I think the intro is the best rock guitar riff Petrucci has created since Root of All Evil.

Offline JLa

Pull me under!

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
The entire D/T album (apart from PBD and Out Of Reach) and quite a few other albums (most notably Met2 and I/W, you know why I think so)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Online geeeemo

Erotomania - just not it at all
The Dance of Eternity - it's ok, but  it great for me.

The Gift of Music and Our New World.
I really like The Astonishing and both those songs are important for the story and good songs, but I just dont understand them being more popular than other songs on the record. I even saw ONW with Lzzy and it wasnt better for me.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Man I love that 'run fast from the wreckage of the past' part. It's got groove. Shit slaps.

I love pretty much the whole thing (with the exception of maybe the last :30-:45 of the instrumental section toward the end of the song where it starts to feel overly repetitive). 

I don't really get the inclusion of Our New World.  I wouldn't really call it a "fan favorite" at all, and don't remember it getting a ton of praise.  And especially now that there is a newer album, it seems all but forgotten.  That said, I've always loved it and felt like, if anything, it should have gotten MORE praise than it did.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
I didn't quit get the love for ONW on release, I loved all of TA but I thought that song got a lot of love that I didn't get... until I did.  It's a solid song and really fun end of set song.  I think maybe I enjoy it more now is because that's the song that got everyone out of their seat live.  What a great moment to finally stand, at the end of their set.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Awake

Offline Volante99

I’ll throw another one out there;

Viper King - Yiiikes. I’ll (usually) defend LaBrie but his vocals just do NOT sound good with that type of song.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
I’ll throw another one out there;

Viper King - Yiiikes. I’ll (usually) defend LaBrie but his vocals just do NOT sound good with that type of song.
I just don’t know why he decided to come out of the gate with the high pitched vocals. As soon as I heard that, I lost all interest in the song.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen