Author Topic: Gazinwales Top 50 Albums - v. #26 bitter metallic side...  (Read 15251 times)

Offline gazinwales

Gazinwales Top 50 Albums - v. #26 bitter metallic side...
« on: August 07, 2019, 10:46:16 PM »
I was inspired after reading Kattelox's terrific top 50, a few forum members also encouraged me to have a go, and so it begins.
First off a huge thanks to Katt's excellent formatting of his list, I asked him if I could loosely use the same style and he graciously allowed me to steal his thunder.

I am now in my 51st year, of those I can remember being really into music since the age of 12.
I decided to limit this list to only one album per artist, that way I have to be pretty tough with the list.
At the moment I've got over 100 albums that I have to whisk in half, it won't be an easy task either.

I'll try to update this list whenever I can, but as I am finding out the hard way, putting these post together isn't as easy as it looks and is rather time consuming.
Although I am a power metal and symphonic metalhead, I love a lots of odd ball stuff, that will no doubt have some of you scratching your head and thinking WTF is he on about?

Finally please excuse any formatting, hyperlink and html errors, I am not great at doing this kind of thing.
Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

50. Kiuas - Lustdriven
49. Emerson Lake & Powell - Emerson Lake & Powell
48. Gary Moore - Wild Frontier
47. Vanden Plas - The Colour Temple
46. Sabaton - Carolus Rex
45. I - Between Two Worlds
44. Damn The Machine - Damn The Machine
43. Virtuocity - Secret Visions
42. Catherine Wheel - Adam and Eve
41. Asia - Asia
40. The Police - Synchronicity
39. Judas Priest - Defenders Of The Faith
38. Barren Earth - Curse Of the Red River
37. Black Sabbath - Heaven and Hell
36. Badlands - Badlands
35. Fates Warning - A Pleasant Shade Of Gray
34. Carcass - Heartwork
33. Ark - Ark
32. Richie Sambora - Stranger In This Town
31. Sonata Arctica - Ecliptica
30. Katatonia - Viva Emptiness
29. Crimson Glory - Transcendence
28. Deathstars - Terminal Bliss
27. Magnum - Wings Of Heaven
« Last Edit: June 18, 2022, 01:02:54 PM by gazinwales »

Offline gazinwales

Re: Gazinwales Top 50 - Inspired by Kattelox
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2019, 10:48:23 PM »
KIUAS
Lustdriven
Power Metal(ish)

released 2010 on Spinefarm Records

1.   "Kiuassault"   4:37
2.   "Cry Little Angel"   3:59
3.   "Of Love, Lust and Human Nature"   4:05
4.   "Aftermath"   5:23
5.   "Lights Are Many"   4:52
6.   "The Visionary"   6:34
7.   "Heart and Will"   4:32
8.   "The Quickening"   4:00
9.   "Summer's End"   5:03
10.   "Winter's Sting"   5:43

Kiuas were

Ilja Jalkanen – vocals
Mikko Salovaara – guitars, vocals
Markku Näreneva – drums
Atte Tanskanen – keyboard
Teemu Tuominen – bass guitar

Kiuas are pretty much unknown to many who listen to heavy music. I discovered them back in 2005 via their debut for Spinefarm Records (Finland). At the time I was travelling to Helsinki annually, staying with a good friend who was at the time working for the same record label.
He (Marko) was also a well known music journalist, so he would tell me about all the up and coming Finnish bands and of course supply promos for me to review.
One of these bands that stood out was Kiuas, even though I've labelled them power metal, they really are and were hard to categorise.

Though the band only made four albums before splitting, all of them are strong offering a variety of metal flavours within each album.
I chose their final offering, Lustdriven, because it's probably their most melodic and easily the most played CD I own from them.
Although it's their most accessible release, pick beneath the top layer and you'll find a proverbial onion to pick over that after many listens is very rewarding.

First off the songwriting is superb, has lots of great riffs, hooks and most of all strong vocals from Ilja Jalkanen.
Guitarist Mikko wrote most of the songs, also produced and generally looked after the band.
This album delivers a big sound, the band could get pretty heavy, but also allowed lots of space for the other instruments to breathe.

But what set's this album apart from their other's, is the sheer amount of variety in the songs and different styles.
You have epic orchestral sounds, mixed in with fast heavy guitars, then slow acoustic guitars which is nothing new, but done so well and with a hint of originality.

I could have placed this a lot higher, but I wanted this band to get some attention straight off the bat with this new top 50.
I could blabber on about this forever, but proof is in the listening, below are a couple of links to some official video's.

Of Love , Lust and Human Nature https://youtu.be/i1OO3c1j3WI
Lustdriven album teaser part 1 https://youtu.be/ttUb5eIgPWM
Lustdriven album teaser part 2 https://youtu.be/XdV9kBlVvhk

Unfortuneatly this album is not on Spotify, but their previous three are.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 10:54:42 PM by gazinwales »

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: Gazinwales Top 50 - Inspired by Kattelox
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2019, 10:58:47 PM »
This is awesome! I'm flattered. Definitely following.

I've heard of Kiuas a couple times, but never listened. Listening to Of Love, Lust and Human Nature - this is a cool song. Love the piano in there. The singer reminds me of someone but I can't pinpoint it. It's like there's hints of Arcturus, Serj Tankian, and some others in there. Going to look into this a bit more tomorrow, it sounds promising.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
Re: Gazinwales Top 50 Albums - Inspired by Kattelox v. #50
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2019, 11:19:15 PM »
I'll be following along here  :metal
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2019, 11:46:26 PM »
I have 3 earlier albums (The New Dark Age , Reformation and The Spirit of Ukko) but can't find this one.   I can't remember much about them but based on my song ratings I liked The New Dark Age (2008) the best , so I should check this one.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2019, 12:46:28 AM »
Following and probably commenting if I know something, or something interests me.

Although I am a power metal and symphonic metalhead, I love a lots of odd ball stuff, that will no doubt have some of you scratching your head and thinking WTF is he on about?

I always like it when people introduce new things and their view on it.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2019, 07:17:44 PM »
I am now in my 51st year

That makes us the exact same age!

Looking very much forward to the list.

Kiuas? Never heard of them. Naturally Brent has three of their albums. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2019, 08:01:42 PM »
The New Dark Age is also a very strong album, there is a version that has a pretty decent cover of Whitesnake's Sailing Ships.
Somehow I ended up with three versions of the album....

Thanks for the encouragement, number 49 is almost ready.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2019, 08:44:26 PM »
Following the fuck out of this list.

Oh, and what Tim said.

Since this one isn't on Spotify, I'll give The New Dark Age a go at some point (likely after September 8th).  My 'DTF Recc'n' list just keeps getting longer.

Edit... must be a country specific thing Gazin, cuz I see Lustdriven on Spotify (Canada).
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 09:05:28 PM by jingle.boy »
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2019, 09:15:09 PM »
Yeah strange how some countries it's not on, I did a double check and definitely not on Australian Spotify.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2019, 03:38:52 AM »
Emerson, Lake & Powell
Emerson, Lake & Powell
Progressive Rock

released 1986 on Polydor Records

1.   "The Score"   9:10
2.   "Learning to Fly"   3:52
3.   "The Miracle"   7:02
4.   "Touch and Go"           3:35
5.   "Love Blind"           3:08
6.   "Step Aside"           3:42
7.   "Lay Down Your Guns"   4:20
8.   "Mars, the Bringer of War"   7:53
9.   "The Loco-Motion"           4:40
10.   "Vacant Possession"       4:42

Band line up

Keith Emerson – keyboards
Greg Lake – vocals, guitars, bass; producer
Cozy Powell – drums, percussion

I have little or next to no love for any kind of 1970's progressive rock, I've tried listening to all the classic bands and they do absolutely nothing for me, zilch.
But I remember hearing Fanfare For The Common Man, that opening keyboard sound is just magic, even now it gives me chills whenever I hear it.
It was when I first heard Touch and Go on the radio and then the subsequent video, something clicked and I knew I had to investigate this further.
I originally owned this on cassette tape, I literally wore it out, I upgraded a couple of years ago with the Japan SHM-CD reissue that has two bonus tracks on it.

So what makes this different to the classic 70's prog rock of ELP?
Two words, Cozy Powell. His thunderous hard hitting drums, that were his trademark with all the various bands he played over the years, is in full song here.
It's almost like having an extra keyboard, or guitar with Cozy in the band, his drums seem to take space that might normally given to another instrument.
Listening to it today, i think I know why I was so taken to it and still am, Emerson's keyboard sound is very 1980's pop sounding to my ears.
Whether is the albums three longer songs, or the poppy 3 minute tracks, it has that sound of the time and even today not really that dated.
But all this would mean nothing without great songs and this album has them all. From the opening epic fanfare of The Score to the grandiose finale of 
Mars The Bringer of War, this record sounds as huge as the three gentleman's ego's  and resumes would indicate.
The album's shorter songs also have a prescient charm, the jazzy piano of Step Aside or the plea to Lay Down Your Guns.

Sadly this version of ELP would only make one studio album and tour.
There are several live recordings where Cozy makes a genuine difference on the older songs and of course sounds magnificent on this records tunes.

Touch and Go https://youtu.be/lRsXvZiiNNY

This album is not on Spotify (Australia)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Fucking following mate.  Glad you are doing this but surprised it's happening so quickly.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2019, 06:04:19 AM »

Lol yeah thought the exact same thing.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Saw the ELPowell tour. Met Cozy after the show. Can post some pics later. He signed my breast ticket stub.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2019, 06:32:48 AM »
Kiuas? Never heard of them.

Wow, change the record.   :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline romdrums

My dad is a huge ELP fan, and as such, ELPowell was played heavily in the house when it came out.  My Dad got tickets for the show in Cleveland and took me along for my 9th birthday.  Such a cool show!  Cozy Powell's drums sound HUGE on this record, and they were just as HUGE live.  It's such a shame that they only made one album.  It would have been really cool to hear where they could have gone.  Also, I'd rate their adaptation of Mars as the best classical adaptation Emerson ever did.  Better than Toccata, Fanfare and Hoedown.  Great record!
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2019, 07:32:21 AM »

Lol yeah thought the exact same thing.

Yep, same. :lol

I know some ELP but I don't know this record, may spin the recommended song later.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2019, 07:41:56 AM »
This album is not on Spotify (Australia)

Man, Spotify Aus sucks!  It's available in Canada.

I never dove in to ELP - love the radio hits (Karn Evil is a Top 50 song of all-time in my books).  Not sure why I never tried them.  Keyboard-led prog wasn't my bag when I was getting in to 70s rock music.  I never got into the pure prog bands like Genesis, Yes, Jethro etc... until much later in life, and for some reason, don't remember if I dug into ELP.

This is saved to the Gazin listen-to list.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Stadler sent me ELP's debut last year in my album roulette and it blew me away. It's like gentlemen's prog/jazz/rock... prack? :lol

Just listened to Touch & Go - totally different beast. Loved it from the start, those vintage brassy synths remind me of Asia (a good thing). LOVE that huge snare sound. This is really good. Putting this album on the short list as well. Keep 'em coming  :corn

Offline T-ski

I remember hearing "Touch and Go" back in the day, but never heard anything else off that album.  Good tune.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Certainly sounds like mid 80's  :)

Are you a sports fan gaz?  Took me many years to realise that I had been listening to ELP every year of my childhood on tv  :lol
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 08:25:17 AM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2019, 10:23:18 AM »
Emerson, Lake & Powell
Emerson, Lake & Powell
Progressive Rock

I actually love this album (by the way, the last two songs are bonus tracks on a subsequent release; my original copy doesn't have them).  There's a little cheese on there, but generally it's a strong record.  I love Touch And Go (the reworked version by ELPalmer doesn't hold a candle), The Miracle, and Mars.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
I have the ELPowell version with the bonus tracks. I haven't heard anything from this in years. I barely remember anything about it. I know I like it though.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline pg1067

« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2019, 11:13:06 AM »
Emerson, Lake & Powell
Emerson, Lake & Powell
Progressive Rock

I actually love this album (by the way, the last two songs are bonus tracks on a subsequent release; my original copy doesn't have them).  There's a little cheese on there, but generally it's a strong record.  I love Touch And Go (the reworked version by ELPalmer doesn't hold a candle), The Miracle, and Mars.

For me, ELP had a handful of songs that were absolute homeruns, but they never clicked for me as a whole.  I was somewhat familiar with "classic" ELP when the album with Cozy came out.  Touch and Go was a big radio hit, and I seem to recall borrowing this from a friend and making a cassette copy.  Mars was my favorite, and it prompted me to buy a CD of Holst's The Planets (I highly recommend it to anyone into ELP).  I can only vaguely recall a few of the other songs.  Maybe I'll seek it out and give it a listen.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline gazinwales

Certainly sounds like mid 80's  :)

Are you a sports fan gaz?  Took me many years to realise that I had been listening to ELP every year of my childhood on tv  :lol

Definately 80's, prob why I like it so much, love the pop from that era and there may even be a couple of albums in my top 50  :omg:
Yes massive sports fan, up at 0500 on a Saturday morning watching my team Liverpool FC on opening day of the EPL.

Oh I too have heard Fanfare so many times, C7 used it for many years here.

Offline gazinwales

Fucking following mate.  Glad you are doing this but surprised it's happening so quickly.

Me too, once I started and got Katt's approval to use his formatting it started to flow.
Nice to see some interest from you and everyone else.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
I'm going to go for a walk til sundown tonight and play both these albums.

Offline gazinwales

Looking forward to your thoughts Katt.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2019, 03:58:25 AM »
I am now in my 51st year

That makes us the exact same age!

Looking very much forward to the list.

Following definitely.
Chalk me up to the 51 club too. Shit, isn’t it? Apart from all the great bands we got to see 🤘🤘🤘

Now this band I never listened to at all. I saw they were Norwegian, saw the name and the logo and put them down as church burners. I’ve checked a couple of tracks out this morning and boy was I wrong. This is excellent and I’m going to be all over it when I get home.

It’s certainly not your typical power metal and for that it’s great

Offline gazinwales

51 is not too bad, older and hopefully wiser.
Though my body is ageing fast, I've had surgery on my left knee and right ankle this year.
Life with great music has saved me from misery many times.
Kiuas are from Finland.

Offline Lowdz

51 is not too bad, older and hopefully wiser.
Though my body is ageing fast, I've had surgery on my left knee and right ankle this year.
Life with great music has saved me from misery many times.
Kiuas are from Finland.

Should have said I thought they were from Norway. Still, should teach me not to judge a book by its cover..

Offline Lowdz

I’ve heard a few ELP tracks and put them in the “not for me “ box. I’ll give this a listen as I love the first three Asia albums.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
I missed the part about that Kiuas album not being on Spotify, so I haven't heard it yet. But that ELP record is fantastic. It's like early Asia blended with The Alan Parsons Project. I'm very impressed. The singing is strong, the keyboards are 80s (in the good way, not the bad way) and it's dripping with melody and groove. Man this is good. That rendition of Mars The Bringer of War by Gustav Holst - WOW. And that cover of The Locomotion is so funny because of how well it fits in with the rest of the record.

This is a really good album, thanks for introducing me to it.  Definitely gotta pick up a copy of this someday. :corn
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 12:42:51 PM by Kattelox »

Offline gazinwales

Glad you enjoyed it mate, probably one of the reasons I started this list to get people into some new/old stuff that may have passed them by.
Locomotion wasn't on my original cassette, it's listed as a bonus track. I'd only ever heard Kylie Minogue's pop version prior to ELP version.
Bummer about the Kiuas album not on Spotify, but I am sure you've already seen the full album up on YT.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I missed the part about that Kiuas album not being on Spotify, so I haven't heard it yet./quote]

Make sure you double check... cuz it is on Spotify Canada.  Might be available in the US too.