Author Topic: Gazinwales Top 50 Albums - v. #26 bitter metallic side...  (Read 15381 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
I missed the part about that Kiuas album not being on Spotify, so I haven't heard it yet./quote]

Make sure you double check... cuz it is on Spotify Canada.  Might be available in the US too.

They have 3 albums but Lustdriven isn't there :( Yeah gaz, I'm going to play it on Youtube today. Bring on 48!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline gazinwales

Re: Gazinwales Top 50 Albums - Inspired by Kattelox v. #48
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2019, 02:15:11 PM »
Gary Moore
Wild Frontier
Hard Rock

Released 1987 on 10 Records via Virgin

1.   "Over The Hills and Far Away" . 5:20
2.   "Wild Frontier"   4:14
3.   "Take A Little Time" 4:05
4.   "The Loner"  5:54
5.   "Friday On My Mind" . 4:11
6.   "Strangers In The Darkness"  4:48
7.   "Thunder Rising" . 5:43
8.   "Johnny Boy"  3:15   
Bonus Tracks
9.   "Over the Hills and Far Away"  7:26
10.   "Wild Frontier"  6:38
11.   "Crying in the Shadows"  5:01

Band line up

Gary Moore – lead, rhythm and acoustic guitars, lead and backing vocals
Neil Carter – keyboards, backing vocals
Bob Daisley – bass

When a was a kid, I wanted to be a guitar player and I really wanted to sound like Gary Moore.
His playing inspired me to pick up a guitar and one of the first songs I ever learnt was the Loner.
Of course I couldn't play it anything like GM could, but I knew the basics and I was so happy that I did.

Wild Frontier is a strange album of sorts. You will notice that there is no drummer credited on the album, because all the drums are programmed.
There are three different producers (plus GM) on this record, which might indicate that it might have been a difficult album to make.
While that may or may not have been the case, the results turned out to be pretty good, to say the least.

The opening of Over The Hills and Far Away, sets the tone for the album, with it's Irish tinge and celtic influences.
Thought the Nightwish cover is excellent and popularised this track, the extended and live versions of this song, really shine more than the album version.
Strange thing though listening now it's pretty obvious that the drums are programmed, back in the day I had no idea and was horrified when I found out they weren't real.
The title track is one of Gary's finest, playing tribute to his native Ireland  and the late Phil Lynott. While The Loner was originally on a Cozy Powell album, that GM basically re-wrote for this album.

Even the cover of The Easybeats, Friday On My Mind sounds pretty decent and Gary manages to make it his own. Thunder Rising is one of GM heaviest songs, also contains a blistering trademark solo.
The album fitting ends with an emotional ballad with reminiscing about days gone by.
Eric Singer was brought into the line up for the subsequent tour, with a show being filmed in Stockholm, released on VHS, but sadly never officially on DVD/BR.

Gary would go on to make one more hard rock album before abandoning the genre for many years and became even more popular as a blues artist.
I never did like Gary's blues output, that style is just not me, but his hard rock output has stood the test of time and this one is an absolute classic.

The video's below are all official, I suggest you check out the live concert from 1987, this is better indication of what Gary was all about than the four promo clips.
The live extended version of The Loner is simply sublime and one of the best guitar instrumentals ever written.

Over The Hills and Far Away https://youtu.be/7IocRCDWB5k
Wild Frontier https://youtu.be/zsR-6bunsbI
The Loner https://youtu.be/6gcPdeL4Dnc
Friday On My Mind https://youtu.be/qDorH739Zgk
Live In Sweden 1987 (VHS) https://youtu.be/xsMKdlB3lbI

Spotify https://open.spotify.com/album/7HSONsw7mumBE5q0e7KJW2

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Gazinwales Top 50 Albums - Inspired by Kattelox v. #48 - over the hills
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2019, 05:25:19 PM »
Niiiice ..........Number 35 from my Top 50  :)    Despite the crappy drums the album certainly has an atmosphere all its own , unlike much of what is released today.

Wild Frontier was my first exposure to Moore and that probably decided it.........I was 13 when it was released and I think I heard the solo from Friday On My Mind on the radio and decided I would investigate.  To this day that song is the only time I have heard "rock" Gary Moore on mainstream commercial radio.   One other weird thing about this album (or my copy anyway)- the volume dropped off for Thunder Rising if memory serves correct.

These days I would probably throw on Corridors instead but my Top 50 was more based around influence than "best" at any given time (easier to judge) , so Wild Frontier got the slot.

EDIT:  I actually cheated and ended up doing a dual entry for Wild Frontier and Corridors of Power :)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 05:51:23 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2019, 05:51:02 PM »
Never noticed the volume drop off, but my version I have is Japan 2002 remaster, so it might have been fixed.
I was lucky enough to get mine signed by Bob Daisley at his instore book signing at Utopia Records a couple of years ago.

A close second would be Run For Cover, which despite 3 different singers and a multitude of producers manages to come together rather nicely.

Offline T-ski

Re: Gazinwales Top 50 Albums - v. #48 - over the hills and far away
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2019, 08:14:24 PM »
Love this album.  First heard “Over the Hills” on the local radio station that had a program on Sunday nights which showcased the popular hits in England. 

“Thunder Rising” kicks all sorts of ass.

I too wasn’t as big of fan of Gary’s blues albums and much prefer this one and After The War.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2019, 08:16:29 PM »
I could never get into After The War - it's the one out of his rock albums that I never listen to.  I was super excited to hear a new record was coming out with Ozzy on it etc......but it just left me flat.   It felt like an album he threw together to move on to his blues stuff - to me anyway.

I like Run For Cover too.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2019, 08:16:49 PM »
Touch And Go?

Wild Frontiers? 

Holy crap man.  My youth!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline T-ski

« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2019, 08:35:55 PM »
I could never get into After The War - it's the one out of his rock albums that I never listen to.  I was super excited to hear a new record was coming out with Ozzy on it etc......but it just left me flat.   It felt like an album he threw together to move on to his blues stuff - to me anyway.

The Ozzy song is probably the worst song on the album.  Blood of Emeralds is awesome.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2019, 08:37:56 PM »
So much to say.  But I need my laptop   
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2019, 09:02:42 PM »

The Ozzy song is probably the worst song on the album.  Blood of Emeralds is awesome.

One of the better songs from memory but sounded a bit too much like Over The Hills .........for my liking.   The fiddle part from Over The Hills is almost regurgitated and that's what I meant about the writing feeling rather rushed to me.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 09:09:18 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2019, 11:34:01 PM »
Wild Frontier is my favorite Gary Moore record. Good choice.  :metal :metal :metal
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2019, 01:32:14 AM »
Gary Moore - Live in Belfast 1989, pro shot, sound is straight from the board not- remixed.
Great so see some decent footage from this era, Chris Slade on drums, Cozy had left to play with Sabbath.
https://youtu.be/ixx-bTxtWdE

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2019, 05:08:24 AM »
Niiiice ..........Number 35 from my Top 50  :)    Despite the crappy drums the album certainly has an atmosphere all its own , unlike much of what is released today.

Wild Frontier was my first exposure to Moore and that probably decided it.........I was 13 when it was released and I think I heard the solo from Friday On My Mind on the radio and decided I would investigate.  To this day that song is the only time I have heard "rock" Gary Moore on mainstream commercial radio.   One other weird thing about this album (or my copy anyway)- the volume dropped off for Thunder Rising if memory serves correct.

These days I would probably throw on Corridors instead but my Top 50 was more based around influence than "best" at any given time (easier to judge) , so Wild Frontier got the slot.

EDIT:  I actually cheated and ended up doing a dual entry for Wild Frontier and Corridors of Power :)

I only have a remastered copy but I have trouble with the audio all over the album.  It seems on a few of the songs the volumes start quite low and then gradualy gets louder as the song goes on.  I think this happens on a few like Over the Hills and Thunder Rising.  I'll have to go back and check.

Brilliant album though.  Run For Cover is probably my fav 80's albums from Gary if I were to pick one to put on to listen too.  Love most of what's on there.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2019, 05:38:44 AM »
I can live with the programmed drums, although I'm not sure why GM thought that this was a good idea. But I have an old cd, probably one of the first pressings of that record and the sound is terrible. It sounds thin and tinny and the volume varies from track to track.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2019, 06:24:28 AM »
Glad to see it wasn't just me that thought Wild Frontier's mastering was all over the shop  :tup   In other ways it was probably his most polished, commercial effort to that point so it's hard to see why it was released like that.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2019, 08:49:37 PM »
Glad to see it wasn't just me that thought Wild Frontier's mastering was all over the shop  :tup   In other ways it was probably his most polished, commercial effort to that point so it's hard to see why it was released like that.

If it didn't have the sound problems and better production, I'd probably be his best IMO.  These issues really hurt it.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #51 on: August 12, 2019, 09:06:43 PM »
Wild Frontier has really aged well for me. There are some great songs on this. When this came out, I was still concerned. I found Run For Cover extremely uneven. The programmed drums were immediately off putting for me right off the bat. The production really isn't that great either. I remember it also having a re-edit of Empty Rooms, which I thought was terrible, and why put it on this in the first place.  Like I said, there are some amazing tunes on this.

I actually saw this tour. The band of Daisley, Singer, and Carter was amazing. I saw them in a tiny club.

August 29, 1987
The Living Room
Providence, RI

Right. Led Clones is terrible, but Speak For Yourself, which Ozzy is also on, is fantastic.

That whole album is amazing, and while Corridors Of Power is my favorite for him, After The War was his "rock peak" for me. It was the album he had been trying to achieve all decade.

Then just as he achieved it, he abandoned it.

His first two blues albums, Still Got The Blues and After Hours are great, culminating in one of my all time favorite live albums Blues Alive. Even though the Blues was not a passing fancy with him, he was still amazing. The collection of Montreaux live albums are incredible. It's a shame that he had just started playing rock again before he died. 

Gary Moore - Live in Belfast 1989, pro shot, sound is straight from the board not- remixed.
Great so see some decent footage from this era, Chris Slade on drums, Cozy had left to play with Sabbath.
https://youtu.be/ixx-bTxtWdE

I have spent many a night going down the Gary Moore rabbit hole on youtube. So much amazing stuff.

And THIS is an amazing DVD.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: August 12, 2019, 09:31:44 PM »
Yeah TIm, that DVD is impressive.

I got a boot copy of the Stockholm show on DVD too, that show is amazing.

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #53 on: August 13, 2019, 12:28:10 AM »
His first two blues albums, Still Got The Blues and After Hours are great, culminating in one of my all time favorite live albums Blues Alive. Even though the Blues was not a passing fancy with him, he was still amazing. The collection of Montreaux live albums are incredible. It's a shame that he had just started playing rock again before he died. 

Still Got The Blues is a really great album, he plays that high energy blues like no other. After Hours was a bit more sketchy, some good tunes, some mediocre ones.

I've got a bootleg from the Still Got The Blues tour and Gary is just on fire.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #54 on: August 13, 2019, 11:44:33 PM »
Vanden Plas
The Colour Temple
Melodic/Prog Metal

Originally self released in 1994

1.   "Father" . 5:39
2.   "Push" . 4:16
3.   "When the Wind Blows" . 7:10
4.   "My Crying"  5:26
5.   "Soul Survives" . 9:07
6.   "Anytime" . 7:06
7.   "Judas" . 6:03
8.   "Back to Me" . 5:31
9.   "How Many Tears" . 8:15
Bonus tracks
10.   "Fire" . 5:18
11.   "Days of Thunder"  4:45

Band line up

Andy Kuntz – lead vocals, background vocals
Stephan Lill – guitar, background vocals
Günter Werno – keyboard, background vocals
Andreas Lill – drums
Torsten Reichert – bass

Back in the pre-internet days, I used to trade tapes with a pen pal (whom I never met) in France.
We would exchange cassettes every few months, hoping to discover something new and exciting between us.
It must have been around 1995 that a tape arrived with three Vanden Plas, Angra and others that I cannot recall.
But it was those two bands that had the biggest impact on me at the time.
At that time trying to track down the actual CD's was near impossible in Australia, but I did manage to track down a rather expensive Japan import.
Thankfully the rest of the album turned out to be pretty good, and had two killer bonus tracks that (were) Japan exclusive.

Down to the music, well this is probably Vanden Plas least progressive release, it still had it many moments that would be more prevalent on subsequent releases.
Listening to this release 25 years later, one thing that stands out and make this release stand strong, is the production.
The early 1990's were mostly free from the horrible compression that most modern metal releases seem to suffocate with.

Song wise there is merely a weak moment here, the riffs the melodies and vocals are all excellent.
Andy Kuntz vocals are a little on the raw side though, nothing too distracting, but he definitely improved in the years ahead.

Hightlights? Well I really can't too many weak spots at all, and if I did I might just be nit picking a tad.
For a debut album, this is one of the best I have ever heard and stands tall with only a few others in my collection.
Even the two bonus tracks, which are by far the most melodic, almost AORish on the album really are far too strong be be relegated to special markets.

The band would dial up the heaviness and prog for the next release, The God Thing, which is a strong release.
But as they say sometimes, your first love is always the one you remember.

Soul Survives https://youtu.be/FI4OyGS1ti4
Father https://youtu.be/SIGfpfS4kDc
How Many Tears https://youtu.be/1gkEpPEw5CY

Spotify https://open.spotify.com/album/12l8zxa2A2hACAsew4pyN9

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Gazinwales Top 50 Albums - v. #47 - push your heart to break
« Reply #55 on: August 14, 2019, 12:06:27 AM »
Doing well gaz .................made my DTF Top 50 too  :biggrin:

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #56 on: August 14, 2019, 01:26:12 AM »
I've seen Vanden Plas open for Dream Theater, it may have been on one of the six degrees tours, but they left me totally cold. But since then I've heard so many good things about them I will give them another try.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: August 14, 2019, 04:21:37 AM »
I've been a fan of this band for quite a while now but only a couple of the later albums.  I never dived deep into all their albums.  I'm pretty sure it was Brent's praise of this album in his top 50 that made me sit up and explore the band more.  I get the love for this one, it's fantastic.  I was so surprised how good it was.  So much win and I liked the less progginess of it too.  That really appealed to me.  Great choice.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #58 on: August 14, 2019, 06:13:46 AM »
I was introduced to them in a similar manner.  The guy that got me in to Dream Theater subsequently (about 5 years later) made me a CD of .mp3s that introduced me to VP (along with Ten, Shadow Gallery, Ayreon, and a few others that didn't quite stand the test of time).  Love - LOVE - Andy's voice, and I'm very much looking forward to the upcoming release.  The Netherworld albums were both top 2 of the year when they were released.  I don't often go back to the debut album, but it is a very good listen.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #59 on: August 14, 2019, 09:28:42 AM »
  The Netherworld albums were both top 2 of the year when they were released.

Not busting balls Chad, so please don't take it that way. Not directing this at you....just discussing about the band..

I just put myself through the torture listening to those a few weeks ago. I think they are terrible. I hate that guy's voice.

Those albums are all I know of Vanden Plas.

But I'm willing to check this one out for sure. Is it the same singer?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: August 14, 2019, 10:27:49 AM »
I had a bunch of trouble linking to tracks in my Top 50 as many albums were pretty rare and based on the thread title I think Gaz might've liked to link to Push which is one of my faves.

I uploaded tracks like this as Unlisted Youtube videos at the time , so here it is .   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5eIHEDzMow&feature=youtu.be

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #61 on: August 14, 2019, 10:32:25 AM »
  The Netherworld albums were both top 2 of the year when they were released.

Not busting balls Chad, so please don't take it that way. Not directing this at you....just discussing about the band..

I just put myself through the torture listening to those a few weeks ago. I think they are terrible. I hate that guy's voice.

Those albums are all I know of Vanden Plas.

But I'm willing to check this one out for sure. Is it the same singer?

I get ya... he does have a very distinctive voice, and I can understand it being a love it or hate it proposition.  I'm in the former camp.  And yeah, Andy is the vocalist across the discography.  If his voice rubs you the wrong way, you probably shouldn't bother.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: August 14, 2019, 10:34:08 AM »
Beyond Daylight is a dope album but I am not too familiar with The Colour Temple. I remember playing it once recently but I was busy and so I don't remember it... This is a perfect excuse to get back to it.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #63 on: August 14, 2019, 10:51:07 AM »

Gary got played on the radio a fair bit in the UK, especially with the tie in with Phil Lynott on Out In The Fields. Empty Rooms was big too.

Great albu. 2nd gig I ever went to was GM on the Victims of the Future tour. Saw him many times both on his rock stuff and the blues days. Loved him. So sad he’s gone.

I have a real soft spot for his Irish stuff so this albums is so great.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #64 on: August 14, 2019, 11:37:35 AM »
I actually saw this tour. The band of Daisley, Singer, and Carter was amazing. I saw them in a tiny club.

August 29, 1987
The Living Room
Providence, RI

That must have been insane.  I'm not the hugest Gary Moore fan (more from ignorance than any real dislike) but still.

Right. Led Clones is terrible, but Speak For Yourself, which Ozzy is also on, is fantastic.

I've heard Led Clones before, but never put two and two together; I did not know that was technically a Gary Moore song.

EDIT:  Going down the wikipedia rabbit hole with Gary Moore, I learned something new:   Tommy Eyre, who played keys with Moore (on Corridors of Power) and Michael Schenker (Assault Attack), played on one of my favorite songs of all time ("Baker Street") and was musical director for.... Wham!.   Then, Andy Nye, who took over for Eyre in MSG, appeared on the Tonight Show (a famous late night show here in the States) with Sheena Easton. 

I love the circle of music.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #65 on: August 14, 2019, 09:06:54 PM »
Not heard “Colour Temple” but do have other VP discs in my library. Will check this one out.

Loving this thread so far.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #66 on: August 16, 2019, 09:25:04 PM »
Sabaton
Carolus Rex
Power Metal

Released by Nuclear Blast in 2012

1.   "Dominium maris Baltici" . 0:29
2.   "The Lion from the North" . 4:42
3.   "Gott Mit Uns" . 3:15
4.   "A Lifetime of War" . 5:45
5.   "1648" . 3:54
6.   "The Carolean's Prayer" . 6:14
7.   "Carolus Rex" . 4:53
8.   "Killing Ground" . 4:24
9.   "Poltava" . 4:03
10.   "Long Live the King" . 4:09
11.   "Ruina Imperii" . 3:21
Bonus tracks
12.   "Twilight of the Thunder God" . 3:59
13.   "In the Army Now" . 3:59
14.   "Feuer frei!"  3:12
15.   "Harley from Hell" . 3:50

Band line up

Joakim Brodén – lead vocals
Pär Sundström – bass
Oskar Montelius – guitars, backing vocals
Rikard Sundén – guitars, backing vocals
Daniel Mÿhr – keyboards, backing vocals
Daniel Mullback – drums

I was a little late to first not only hearing Sabaton, but also finally clicking with them.
It wasn't until i saw them supporting Nightwish at the Enmore Theatre in Sydney a few years ago that the penny dropped.
I don't think I'd ever seen a (support) band with so much energy that totally blew me away.

Carolus Rex was the first album that I tracked down and although it's regular edition only is 45 minutes long, it's one of their most epic albums.
But the weird thing is that four band members decided to leave Sabaton shortly after finishing recording this.
To me this was the heart and soul of the band and they have never matched this album or been the same since.

One of my favourite concept albums, about the rise and fall of the Swedish Empire and in particular King Charles XII.
What sets this apart from many other metal bands concept album, is all the songs work singularly as well as a collective.
While the songwriting is supreme, the hooks, the chorus catchy enough to draw immediate attention, yet bear repeated listens.
The melody is balanced by the right amount of heaviness with Peter Tägtgren crystal clear production audibly noticeable.

The album was released in both English and the bands native tongue, Swedish.
I actually enjoy listening to both, the strength is in the songwriting and in both languages it works remarkably well.

While some songs work better for me in English, 'A Lifetime Of War' (my fave Sabaton 'slow' song) other seem to gather strength when sung
the band's native tongue ('Carolus Rex' and 'Killing Ground').

The album is relatively short at just on 45 minutes, but with that said, it means that it does not drag on and can be enjoyed more often.

Sabaton have many fine album's to choose from, but in the end the decision to pick this one was easy.

The Lion From The North https://youtu.be/T1gvNaC17B4
Ruina Imperii https://youtu.be/vDKB4kT3o1w
Carolus Rex (Swedish Version) https://youtu.be/WhA9BkOBrTE
Sabaton's History Channel The Carolean's Prayer https://youtu.be/z9YkX3fsZHQ

Spotify https://open.spotify.com/album/6oHloP6K30IDq3KVNVIBOf

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: August 16, 2019, 09:31:50 PM »
Wow! Certainly didn't expect to see this! Can't say I'm a Sabaton fan; I don't mind the songs Carolus Rex and Primo Victoria, but I've heard Primo Victoria (the album) and didn't think much of it, and even less of The Last Stand. I think I tried Carolus Rex once upon a time but I don't remember, so I'm going to give this a spin tomorrow. 45 minutes is around the perfect length for most albums in my opinion.

Sabaton has always struck me a one-trick pony, honestly - and not a trick I'm interested in sadly - but knowing Carolus Rex isn't about WW2 has me a bit more intrigued. Also had no idea it was released in two languages. That's really cool. Their singer is talented and seems like a really cool guy. Didn't know about the lineup changes either, that sucks.

Offline gazinwales

I'm actually surprised that your not into them  ;D
I love their subject matter about military history, as I have served (Navy) for nearly 20 years, it's a big deal for me.
Not all their songs are about WW2 either, they have plenty of different subject matter.
But I can understand the one trick pony thing.

The three post CR albums have never been quite as good, I think the line changes haven't helped.
That said the four members that left went on to form a killer band in Civil War, no prizes for guessing what their lyrics are about...

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I've honestly never given Sabaton the time of day,. I'm not in love with the vocals, but I feel like I could get by them if I had to.