Author Topic: Gazinwales Top 50 Albums - v. #26 bitter metallic side...  (Read 15367 times)

Offline gazinwales

Re: Gazinwales Top 50 Albums - v. #39 when the night comes down...
« Reply #210 on: November 17, 2020, 12:41:36 PM »
Normal drums?  :lol

Yeah the drums on Ram It Down are programmed and I strongly suspect that Defenders and Turbo also are.
Dave was a decent enough drummer, but when the band changed to a harder sound, I think he was caught a little short.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: Gazinwales Top 50 Albums - v. #38 when everything cascades...
« Reply #211 on: November 17, 2020, 12:43:31 PM »
Oh wow, I saw these guys about a year after this album came out. They were on tour with Ensiferum and Finntroll who were co-headlining; I have a pic of me with most of Ensiferum before the gig started. Barren Earth ruled, I remember their set reeked of heavy Opeth, which was a great surprise, but I never followed up on them. I'll check this one out.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #212 on: November 17, 2020, 01:48:10 PM »
Was sent a song from these guys in a roulette.  Was damn good.  Never got around to checking them out though.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Gazinwales Top 50 Albums - v. #39 when the night comes down...
« Reply #213 on: November 18, 2020, 06:47:04 AM »
Normal drums?  :lol

Yeah the drums on Ram It Down are programmed and I strongly suspect that Defenders and Turbo also are.
Dave was a decent enough drummer, but when the band changed to a harder sound, I think he was caught a little short.

And that's part of it; I don't necessarily prefer the harder sound.   I LOVE Rob's voice, but when he sings, not screams. 

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #214 on: November 23, 2020, 04:11:13 AM »
Gave that Barren Earth a listen on spotify. Sounds really good but it is clear that they have listened to Opeth, a lot of Opeth.  ;)
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #215 on: November 23, 2020, 05:11:31 AM »
I really liked the first Barren Earth album. I tried the second one, but the songwriting didn't impress me as much, and then I kinda got out of it. I should revisit.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #216 on: November 23, 2020, 10:09:27 AM »
Defenders is probably my favourite Priest studio album.

Offline gazinwales

Re: Gazinwales Top 50 Albums - v. #41 Now you find yourself in 82...
« Reply #217 on: November 27, 2020, 03:12:42 AM »
Black Sabbath
Heaven and Hell

Heavy Metal

Vertigo Records 1980

1   Neon Knights   3:44
2   Children Of The Sea   5:33
3   Lady Evil   4:23
4   Heaven And Hell   6:55
5   Wishing Well   4:04
6   Die Young   4:36
7   Walk Away   4:18
8   Lonely Is The Word   5:47

Band line up

Toni Iommi - Guitar
Ronnie James Dio - Vocals
Bill Wared - Drums
Geezer Buttler - Bass

I really don't know what to say about this album that has not already been said.

But here goes, my introduction to Sabbath was in 1982/83 with someone in my circle of friends had the 'Live Evil' 2LP set. To which I borrowed, made a copy on to cassette
and was instantly hooked. The Ozzy era songs were new to me I'd never heard Ozzy sing them, so for me RJD was the voice of Sabbath, always will be and probably the reason I don't like any of the Ozzy era albums.

Now this album is 40 years old, to my ears does not sound dated at all, my only version is 1987 German pressing of the CD, I haven't bothered with any remasters released over the years.
I regard 5 of the albums 8 songs as classic Sabbath that would stand up against anything that they have ever done.
Dio's powerful voice and Iommi's riffs drive these songs into any headbangers heart and soul, if I were to choose just one album as an epitome of what heavy metal is, then would be it.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Gazinwales Top 50 Albums - v. #37 it goes on and one and on...
« Reply #218 on: November 27, 2020, 04:16:00 AM »
As you said Gaz, there's nothing that hasn't already been said about this album so...... :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #219 on: November 27, 2020, 04:17:42 AM »
Even the other 3 lesser tracks are still worthwhile.  I always really enjoyed Wishing Well a lot and Lady Evil is placed perfectly for the type of song it is.  Walk Away is the only real slight blip, however I don't think I've ever skipped it.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #220 on: November 27, 2020, 05:09:08 AM »
Iconic album.  Period.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #221 on: November 28, 2020, 01:34:33 AM »
Badlands
Badlands

Hard Rock

Atlantic Records 1989

1   High Wire   3:44
2   Dreams In The Dark   3:29
3   Jade's Song   1:22
4   Winter's Call   5:35
5   Dancing On The Edge   3:27
6   Streets Cry Freedom   6:09
7   Hard Driver   4:49
8   Rumblin' Train   5:45
9   Devil's Stomp   4:54
10   Seasons   6:19
Bonus Track
11   Ball And Chain   4:12

Band line up

Jake E Lee - Guitar
Ray Gillen - Vocals
Eric Singer - Drums
Greg Chaisson - Bass

Jake had made his name from Ozzy and Ray was briefly in Sabbath, the sound was organic hard rock, with it's roots firmly planted in the 1970's.
Throw in Eric Singer who was with Gary Moore/Black Sabbath/Alice Cooper and later Kiss and an unknown bassist Badlands self titled debut was a breath of fresh air when it came out in 1989.

The 'glam' sound that Jake had with Ozzy was gone, at the height of 'hair metal' this record was almost an anti-80's metal album.
The almost magical combination of Lee's blues based hard riffs, with Ray's smoke dripped wails and a thunderous rhythm section, all adds up to quite a stunning debut album.

This album is just a solid slab of hard rock, with 10 killer tracks here, unfortunately Gillen's off-stage antics have led to this album not being available anymore (Streaming or physical product) even the remaster on Rock Candy Records from 2010 was pulled from shelves just weeks after release due to the threat of legal action.

Yet another album that has aged very well, not just the killer songs, but the mix and production still hits hard, it almost sounds so raw that the band are playing in the next door neighbour's garage.

Of course you can find this album in full illegally on You Tube, but it's not the same as owning the CD.

Full in depth interview with Jake about Badlands and his Ozzy years:
https://deandelray.libsyn.com/podcast?search=Jake+E+lee&Submit=Search+

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: Gazinwales Top 50 Albums - v. #36 standing here I got my eye on you...
« Reply #222 on: November 28, 2020, 11:28:57 AM »
Never heard of this... gonna check it out!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #223 on: November 28, 2020, 08:26:50 PM »
This is a really good album. I bought it when it came out, but unfortunately I didn't really care for it. It wasn't really what I was into, and I was a bit disappointed. That said, it has aged really well. Jake sounds awesome. I would also want to say that other than Badlands, there was far too little music involving Jake E. Lee over the years.

Ray Gillen is fucking amazing on this album. Holy shit!!!

I actually saw them on this tour on August 13, 1989. They were third on the bill of the Tesla/Great White tour.
I wasn't really a fan of the material, but I thought they were cool.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline v_clortho

• Keymaster of Gozer
  • King of DTF
« Reply #224 on: November 28, 2020, 09:10:42 PM »
Likes this record a lot. I like their second as well. Los of good stuff on here.

Online Kwyjibo

« Reply #225 on: November 29, 2020, 01:30:13 AM »
One of the records I heard a lot about but for some unknown reason never checked out. Should do it now.

Edit: It's not on spotify  :sad:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #226 on: November 29, 2020, 03:12:10 AM »
I'm sure I have this one on cd.  I always enjoyed this band but I didn't listen to them all that much.  I'll have to find the cd.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #227 on: November 29, 2020, 03:12:26 PM »
Wow! Badlands and Heaven and Hell back to back!

Absolutely love both albums.

Badlands - this is just a classic. Anyone who hasn't checked this out should do so immediately. I was blown away by this album upon release and still listen to it regularly and it never disappoints. Gillen may have been a bit of a Plant clone but still a phenomenal talent and everything just clicks for the band on this album. Jake's guitar playing is awesome and the album is just chock full of great riffs and song writing. Great choice gazinwales.

As far as Heaven and Hell goes, not much more I can add to this one. Just a brilliant album.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #228 on: November 29, 2020, 07:58:22 PM »
Geez, I missed heaven And Hell.

Yes, that made my Top 50 as well, closer to the Top 10 actually. I love that album. My favorite song on the album is Die Young.

I actually had it on 8-track, and even now when I listen to H&H (the song) I still somewhat expect it to change tracks in the middle.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #229 on: November 30, 2020, 07:55:35 AM »
Even the other 3 lesser tracks are still worthwhile.  I always really enjoyed Wishing Well a lot and Lady Evil is placed perfectly for the type of song it is.  Walk Away is the only real slight blip, however I don't think I've ever skipped it.

HAHA.  I won't say it's the "best" song on the album, but Walk Away is probably my personal favorite on the record.  I can't believe that this album is as strong as it is.   Meaning, I was an Ozzy guy, and I LOVED Blizzard and Diary, so this always got sort of "second fiddle", but looking back, it's solid top to bottom.  "Neon Knights" is sort of the example you use when someone asks "what do you look for in an album opener?"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #230 on: November 30, 2020, 08:11:27 AM »
This is a really good album. I bought it when it came out, but unfortunately I didn't really care for it. It wasn't really what I was into, and I was a bit disappointed. That said, it has aged really well. Jake sounds awesome. I would also want to say that other than Badlands, there was far too little music involving Jake E. Lee over the years.

Ray Gillen is fucking amazing on this album. Holy shit!!!

I actually saw them on this tour on August 13, 1989. They were third on the bill of the Tesla/Great White tour.
I wasn't really a fan of the material, but I thought they were cool.

See, I listened to it once or twice back in the day, and didn't care for it.  I should probably give it a relisten.

What's the nonsense with Gillen?   I tried looking it up and didnt' get anything. I know there was some shit with Paul O'Neill and Gillen's sickness; has that led to this not being available? 

I get the love for Jake E. Lee, he's a good player, and Eddie Trunk has been pimping him for years because he's a "nice guy" and Eddie hates Sharon.    But as someone who's not a fanboy, at some point you have to look at the bigger picture.  He was in Mickey Ratt and either was kicked or bailed before they hit it big as "Ratt".    He joined Dio and didn't get along with Dio, so was dumped in favor of Viv Campbell.  He joined Ozzy, but clashed with Oz/Sharon and was dumped (though he claims he never saw it coming).   He formed Badlands, but had issues with Paul O'Neill, and his music is not readily available.  In and out of other things over the years...  one just has to wonder if it's really everyone else, or just him? 

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #231 on: November 30, 2020, 11:29:05 AM »
I am no Jake fan boy at all, but I would suggest listening to the interview link I posted, it might put a few things to rest.

Offline v_clortho

• Keymaster of Gozer
  • King of DTF
« Reply #232 on: November 30, 2020, 11:57:50 AM »

What's the nonsense with Gillen?   I tried looking it up and didnt' get anything. I know there was some shit with Paul O'Neill and Gillen's sickness; has that led to this not being available? 

If I remember correctly, Ray had AIDS and passed it along to several people because he didn't tell them he was infected. I think there are lawsuits that pretty much make it impossible for the Badlands albums to ever be sold again.

Something like that.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #233 on: November 30, 2020, 04:43:44 PM »

HAHA.  I won't say it's the "best" song on the album, but Walk Away is probably my personal favorite on the record.

Of course it F'n is! :lol What's the best? Lady Evil??

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #234 on: November 30, 2020, 08:01:34 PM »

HAHA.  I won't say it's the "best" song on the album, but Walk Away is probably my personal favorite on the record.  I can't believe that this album is as strong as it is.   Meaning, I was an Ozzy guy, and I LOVED Blizzard and Diary, so this always got sort of "second fiddle", but looking back, it's solid top to bottom.  "Neon Knights" is sort of the example you use when someone asks "what do you look for in an album opener?"

Wait, Walk Away is your fav?  :o

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #235 on: December 01, 2020, 08:02:48 AM »
Of course it F'n is! :lol What's the best? Lady Evil??

AND

Wait, Walk Away is your fav?  :o

Yeah, I love Walk Away.  I love that guitar riff.     The best song?   Probably...  Children Of The Sea, or Heaven And Hell.   Big fan of Die Young as well.  Only song I don't spend a lot of time with is "Lonely Is The Word". 

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #236 on: December 02, 2020, 10:51:57 AM »
Half of this album is incredible. Great playing and Ray was a helluva singer.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #237 on: December 05, 2020, 10:30:54 PM »
Fates Warning
A Pleasant Shade Of Gray

Progressive Metal

Metal Blade Records 1997

A Pleasant Shade Of Gray   55:46
Part I   1:53
Part II   3:25
Part III   3:53
Part IV   4:26
Part V   5:24
Part VI   7:28
Part VII   4:51
Part VIII   3:31
Part IX   4:45
Part X   1:19
Part XI   3:34
Part XII   9:08

Band line up

Ray Alder – vocals
Jim Matheos – guitar, guitar synth
Mark Zonder – drums
Joey Vera – bass
Kevin Moore – keyboards

The mere mention of this album often divides the Fates Warning fan base, this is definitely one of those love or hate album's. There is no in-between what-so-ever with this
record, it seems any talk of APSOG always is a launch pad for some feisty debates.

I love concept album's full stop, so when this came out in 1997 I was almost instantly hooked by the dark atmospheric sound, I seem to remember being a casual fan of the band, nothing they had done previously hit me as hard as this did.

With just 'one' song divided into 12 parts there is lots to digest here, many layers and sounds to absorb, layers to pick away and of course some brilliant music.
The length of 55 minutes seems spot on, every second of music and vocals seems to be almost a perfect mix, the lyrics often taking you to a dark and sinister place.

This record should be higher in my top 50, but I'm throwing it in here as it's one of my favourite concept albums and progressive metal albums in my quite vast collection of music.

Online Kwyjibo

Re: Gazinwales Top 50 Albums - v. #35 this way in and out...
« Reply #238 on: December 06, 2020, 01:48:28 AM »
Neither love nor hate this record, so there is an in-between.  ;)

I think it's good but I don't like every part of it. Some parts just drag along. Put the essence of this in a 30-minute song. Put one or two other good songs on the record, that fit the theme and you have a stellar record, imo. But as it is it's good but not great.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #239 on: December 06, 2020, 03:10:21 AM »
I love FW, but always struggled with this one.  I haven't tried it for a while though and my love for long songs has grown in that time so might be worth another crack.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #240 on: December 06, 2020, 08:50:24 AM »
I love FW, but always struggled with this one.  I haven't tried it for a while though and my love for long songs has grown in that time so might be worth another crack.

Ditto for me. I’ll fire it up later today.  This was my intro to FW back in the early 2000s, as I too was a concept album junkie. But I was very WTF with this one at the time, and it’s been a long long time since I revisited it.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Realm

« Reply #241 on: December 06, 2020, 02:50:46 PM »
Yep, love FW but this album is far from a favourite. Have tried many, many times to love it but just can't....maybe I'll give it another go..

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #242 on: December 06, 2020, 04:53:18 PM »

Ditto for me. I’ll fire it up later today.  This was my intro to FW back in the early 2000s, as I too was a concept album junkie. But I was very WTF with this one at the time, and it’s been a long long time since I revisited it.
Yeah, this album has always sat near the bottom of my Fates Warning list.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline T-ski

« Reply #243 on: December 07, 2020, 03:46:58 PM »
Love APSOG. I get the divisiveness of it, but to me it’s one of their best.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #244 on: December 07, 2020, 03:54:02 PM »
This album gets fellated all over DTF, but poor Gaz puts the thing in his Top 50 and gets nothing but grief. :lol