Author Topic: Netflix's Incredible "Love, Death + Robots" Anthology  (Read 3074 times)

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
Netflix's Incredible "Love, Death + Robots" Anthology
« on: August 07, 2019, 11:48:35 AM »
Holy shit. I don't know how this isn't being talked about more because it is some of the most intriguing, original and fantastic content on Netflix. Scratch that, I do know. A lot of it is either animated or (VERY good, Hollywood-level or better) CGI. Before you stop reading, know that this is catering to adults and while it is sex and gore filled at times, it is also thought provoking and extremely fun/funny/sad/heartwarming/etc. I mean it's an anthology series done right, so you get everything in between and all of the above.

I need to know the DTF peeps thoughts on this though and I implore you to try it out if you're a Sci/Fi/Horror fan in any shape or form. Most of the episodes are based heavily in Sci/Fi, there's a bit of very dark comedy, some political themes here and there, and some horror sprinkled in between. The vast majority of the 18 episodes, ranging from short clips of 5-7 minutes to a more kind-of normal animated show of 15-18 minutes, but obviously they're all very short in comparison to a "normal" show. But binging them all at once was a fantastic time killer on a day off and it is SOOOO satisfying. There is nothing as original as this content on Netflix in my opinion, and it's very apparent why they chose the animated format considering their freedom to do what they want to do. There are some standout voice actors, some big time actual actors (there's only one actual real-time, real-life scene including Topher Grace in a pretty small role), but every episode has something really special.

I started this as a way to kill boredom and now I'm hoping beyond hope that this turns into something more because this could be the next Black Mirror but based more in fantasy and outright Sci/Fi as opposed to the real-world techie format that Black Mirror goes for. And with this recent last season of Black Mirror I'm...more or less resigned to it going the route of burning out, sadly enough (but hoping against, again). Please try it out if you're even slightly open to (very well done) CGI and some classically animated clips here and there. It's fantastic, amazing and mind opening stuff.

My favorites are the initial episode, Sonnie's Edge, Three Robots, Beyond The Aquila Rift, and Shape Shifters. There are definitely some more just outright "art in visual form" (Helping Hand, Fish Night, Three Robots (which is still awesome and hilarious)), but a lot of these could be expanded to be entire movies with their lore fleshed out and some more money to back them, granting that Hollywood doesn't fuck 'em up completely.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline masterthes

Re: Netflix's Incredible "Love, Death + Robots" Anthology
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2019, 07:02:17 AM »
I really enjoyed it. Glad to see it got picked up for another season. My fave episode was Zima Blue, but the ones you mentioned were also really good

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2019, 08:08:55 AM »
Saw it a couple a month ago and yea this was a pleasent surprise. Really liked that the episodes were so diffrent from eachother both visually and aesthetically.

"When the Yogurt Took Over" was hilarious.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2019, 12:06:35 PM »
It's on my list.  Just haven't had time to dive in yet.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2019, 03:43:21 PM »
Oh wow, I didn't realize it was that old or had already been picked up, that's friggin' awesome! I hope they keep up the originality and intrigue. I haven't looked into who the minds were behind each episode but I hope they try to diversify while keeping the ones that made some really amazing stuff. Overall, all of them brought something to the table. I'm super interested in seeing the format of how they chose each of these episodes, how many submissions there were, how they chose the final directors, writers, etc.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Online faizoff

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2022, 08:30:51 PM »
Season 3 out May 20th.

I loved season 1 and enjoyed most of season 2. Can't wait for the new one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHXaMVQq4cc&ab_channel=Netflix
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2022, 06:40:13 AM »
Mmmh off the top of my head I can't remember a single season 2 episode. I might be blanking right now, but when I think of this series' episodes, all memories that come back are about the first season or volume: the three robots of the first episode, the stranded in space episode, the silly Hitler one, the one with the girl fighting through a beast, the attack on the farms, the wonderful Hong Kong chase of the killer, etc etc....

No wait, I remembered! the vacum cleaner going wild, that I remember.... everything else is a blank.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2022, 07:27:07 AM »
LOVED S1

Watched S2 and enjoyed some of the episodes.

Curious to see how S3 goes but will be watching for sure.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline jammindude

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2022, 07:25:22 PM »
I really love this show. I think I read somewhere, possibly Wikipedia, that this show arose from the ashes of an abandoned new Heavy Metal movie Project? Are the creators writers for the old Heavy Metal magazine? Or maybe they were just hired to write a new HM movie and then the entire project just died in developmental hell. Anyway it was something like that.

But that’s the number one reason I love the show. It’s very episodic and it totally feels like the stories you would read in Heavy Metal magazine.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online faizoff

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2022, 07:21:43 PM »
Season 3 out May 20th.

I loved season 1 and enjoyed most of season 2. Can't wait for the new one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHXaMVQq4cc&ab_channel=Netflix

Out now!
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online faizoff

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2022, 09:48:09 PM »
Watched all of season 3 today and it is fantastic. Every single episode was gripping and the animation was off the charts. They saved the best for the last, 'Jibaro' is truly a bizarre, beautiful and other worldy experience. Some of the episodes could easily have been a series or feature film. Fincher directed the second one 'Bad Travelling' and that was great too.

I might actually rewatch these all again. The 1st episode is the only I thought was just ok. all others were excellent.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2022, 08:14:57 AM »
Finished S3 last night. Great episodes....not a clunker in the batch.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2022, 09:05:58 AM »
The giant stowaway crab episode was the best of the new batch.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2022, 01:59:11 PM »
Renewed for a S4.

https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/love-death-and-robots-renewed-season-4-netflix-1235339976/

The series has won 12 Emmy Awards to date, including picking up its third straight nomination for best short form animated program, as all the episodes are under 22 minutes long. The show won in the same category for both its first and second seasons. Alberto Mielgo also recently won the juried Emmy Award for best individual achievement in animation for his Season 3 episode “Jibaro,” in which a deaf knight and a siren become infatuated with one another.

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2022, 04:38:09 PM »
I like it. But can't believe this was the reason why David Fincher abandoned the wonderful Mindhunter.
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Online faizoff

« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2022, 05:16:51 PM »
I like it. But can't believe this was the reason why David Fincher abandoned the wonderful Mindhunter.

That wasn't the reason Fincher couldn't commit to Mindhunter, he was just tired of putting an enormous amount of time and energy into it. I think he was dedicating something like 100+ hours a week and just needed didn't want to get into that cycle again.

Also his involvement with this animation show is not comparable. It's more of Tim Miller's thing with Fincher executive producing and directing just the one episode last season.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2022, 08:06:05 PM »
I just watched the new “3 Robots” skit today. I genuinely LOLed.

“Why do they call these places ‘survival camps’ when they’re all just full of dead people?”  :rollin :rollin :rollin

I would seriously watch a series of just those guys. Though I suppose it would run into the danger of becoming a one trick pony. Still, the 3 Robots episodes are my favorite shows of the bunch. But the entire show is fantastic!
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude