Poll

is this round dildos

yeh
7 (77.8%)
no
2 (22.2%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Author Topic: FlyingBIZKIT's Roulette V3. REFER TO ROULETTE TRACKER THREAD  (Read 20117 times)

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Re: FlyingBIZKIT's Roulette V3. A New Beginning - Round 1 First Impressions
« Reply #105 on: August 12, 2019, 09:47:12 PM »
I watched until the beginning of season 4 and dropped when I realized I didn't care for any of the characters at all and the whole thing was becoming needlessly tense.

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #106 on: August 12, 2019, 10:12:53 PM »
I don't watch TV. :lol

I'm telling you, some things are good for your soul, and Breaking Bad is one of them. Amazing story. You're only hurting yourself by not watching it.  :lol
I watched all of Breaking Bad in reverse order.  :corn

Was it called Good Building?
Yeah, it's the story of a divorced man who quits making meth and cuts off ties with the drug community, makes up with his wife, has a kid, and gets a job as a high school chemistry teacher. Along the way he gives away all of his money, fixes his car, helps ween a young man off of drugs, and gets miraculously cured of cancer.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #107 on: August 12, 2019, 10:36:41 PM »
What a feel-good story that is!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #108 on: August 13, 2019, 05:27:59 AM »
I watched until the beginning of season 4 and dropped when I realized I didn't care for any of the characters at all and the whole thing was becoming needlessly tense.

What
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #109 on: August 13, 2019, 07:09:22 AM »
Results coming within the next hour or so. Be thinking about what you’d like to send next. Please send something good this time.

Kidding. But as soon as I post, I’m hoping to have all R2 submissions within 24 hours

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #110 on: August 13, 2019, 07:22:21 AM »

What
Totally. 10/10 in my book. My gf find it the best tv show ever (but she didn't see a lot tbh). It's the kind of series that make you root for the bad guy (or is he?) and want to cook meth :lol
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #111 on: August 13, 2019, 07:35:31 AM »
I've yet to watch S5 but I thought S4 was brilliant, probably my favourite season so far.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #112 on: August 13, 2019, 07:36:57 AM »
Breaking Bad is right up there in that top trio of all time for me, accompanied by The Leftovers and Six Feet Under

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #113 on: August 13, 2019, 07:39:03 AM »
Breaking Bad is right up there in that top trio of all time for me, accompanied by The Leftovers and Six Feet Under
Didn't see neither, will put it on my list :tup True Detective S1 is probably my favorite tv show
EDIT: The Leftovers is actually already on my watchlist

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #114 on: August 13, 2019, 07:40:27 AM »
Season 5 of BB is the greatest run of television I've ever seen. I don't think I can recall a modern series of entertainment - book, film, TV or otherwise - that wrapped up as perfectly as BB did.

Also, hit me with those results fam, I'm ready to go
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #115 on: August 13, 2019, 07:54:14 AM »
The Wire
Six Feet Under
The Leftovers
Lost
The Sopranos
Other Shows
Breaking Bad
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #116 on: August 13, 2019, 07:58:03 AM »
I watched all five seasons of The Wire and I have no idea why people like it so much. The only somewhat interesting seasons were S2 and S3. :P

Now watch me lose to Stadler in Nelson's roulette.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #117 on: August 13, 2019, 08:37:40 AM »
I've yet to watch S5 but I thought S4 was brilliant, probably my favourite season so far.
Even better than the final season of Game of Thrones?!??!??  :biggrin:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #118 on: August 13, 2019, 08:41:10 AM »
 :lol

Fuck Game of Thrones.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #119 on: August 13, 2019, 08:43:24 AM »
I just realized I quoted the wrong person...  :lol

Meant to quote
Season 5 of BB is the greatest run of television I've ever seen. I don't think I can recall a modern series of entertainment - book, film, TV or otherwise - that wrapped up as perfectly as BB did.

aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: August 13, 2019, 08:45:40 AM »
I just realized I quoted the wrong person...  :lol

Meant to quote

The final season of GoT sucked (relative to the rest of the show). Terrible finish to the show.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: August 13, 2019, 08:48:15 AM »
I stand by my statement. Game of Thrones only has four seasons as far as I'm concerned.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #122 on: August 13, 2019, 08:49:12 AM »
give me clarity

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: August 13, 2019, 08:51:34 AM »
I stand by my statement. Game of Thrones only has four seasons as far as I'm concerned.

Hey season 6 has some of the show's greatest moments.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #124 on: August 13, 2019, 08:57:25 AM »
Round 1 Results

TAC – “Twilight” – Drifting Sun

“I much preferred the instrumental passages to the vocal sections. A bit cheesy, but the band’s embrace of it is respectable.”

From the beginning, this song reeks of cheese… However, I do appreciate some good cheese here and there. I’m definitely not a fan of the vocals here, just not my style. The guitar work is wonderful though. 3 solos? Gah damn! My favorite parts of this song, for sure. If it was accompanied by better vocals and was a bit shorter, I’d probably like it much more. I think it gets better as it goes on. Still not bad by any means, but I probably wouldn’t go out of my way to listen to this one. Average.

5.5/10

Stadler – “The Court of the Crimson King” – The Claypool Lennon Delirium

“Interesting, to say the least. Favorite part is the yummy bass work. Not sure if I’m a fan of the vocals, but I love the instrumental parts.”

Honestly, I was very much looking forward to this one. I’m so divided on how I feel about it. It’s impossible for me to not compare it to the original given how much I love KC’s version. The production sounds amazing, the bass guitar is evidently present at the forefront and it sounds fucking fantastic, the obvious highlight. However, as soon as the vocals come in, I shudder. They really were not what I was expecting. Then again, I don’t know what I was expecting. I just know they’re not for me and I really don’t like them.  If this was an instrumental cover, it would certainly be one of the highest scoring submissions this round. Unfortunately, for me, it’s not.

5.5/10

Tomislav95 – “Summon the Fire” – The Comet Is Coming

“Well, this is cool. Haven’t really heard much like this before. If I have, it would likely be from a video game.”

On first listen, I enjoyed this quite a bit. After that, nothing really stuck out to me, and I found it to be stale, like some average bakery bread from my local Walmart. I find the last minute or so to be particularly annoying. I’m not sure why, but after each listen, it never grew on me. I do find this to be quite original and at the least, entertaining. It’s a song I’d dance to, if I were to do such a thing. I’m willing to bet this song you submitted is not the best from this album, so I’m still interested in checking other songs out.

6/10

Train of Naught – “Arp” – Arcane Roots

“A nice blend of elements from different genres. I’m not sure how I feel about the vocals yet, but I do enjoy this so far.”

This is a prime example of a song that I just feel… “Eh”. There’s no real flaw I see with this, but I also don’t find myself enjoying it as most other submissions. Perhaps, this might be a grower? To follow up with the first impression, I do very much enjoy the vocals, but I suppose I’m not particularly invested in anything else. The electronic elements are “just kinda there” for me. When the drums and guitars ensue, it becomes more enjoyable. But that’s pretty much all I have. I’m curious to check this album out though, since you give it so much praise.

6.5/10

Kattelox – “Even Though the Stars Don’t Shine” – Subsignal

“For some reason, this song reminds me of something I’d hear in the 80s. The riff shortly after the intro is reminiscent of a Haken song. Nice.”

I could not help but think of Haken’s “1985” when that sweet ass guitar riff comes in. I love that song, by the way. As for this one, I enjoy mostly everything about it. I find it a tad cheesy, but I think it’s the good kind, like an explosive slice of pepper jack. It’s not normally something I’d listen to, but it’s pretty badass. The vocalist is quite good and all other members sound just as tight. I was surprised to see how new this is, because it sounds much, much older. This one puts a smile on my face. Nice.

7/10

Kwyjibo – “What You Give” – Tesla

“This sounds very familiar to me and like some music I used to listen to in my younger years. A hint of nostalgia; makes me feel good!”

I appreciate this song much more than I thought I would. When the vocals first came in, I thought, “Oh boy, here we go.” However, I was pleasantly surprised. The vocal melodies are actually great and accompany the guitar quite well. My only major gripe is that this song feels a bit long. Actually, really long. I don’t think it has any business being over seven minutes. Other than that, I do like it. I don’t know how well this will age. I feel like I’d have to be in the mood for it, but it does create feelings of nostalgia for me. I fucking love/hate nostalgia.

7/10

Cyril – “This Armistice” – The Receiving End of Sirens

“Oh, how far this artist has come. Not something I typically listen to, but there are certain elements I appreciate in the latter half, specifically the vocal melodies.”

OK. This is the one I was most excited for because I absolutely adore Casey Crescenzo. For the past 5 years or so, The Dear Hunter has arguably been my favorite band and continue to impress me year in, year out. I always heard such great things about this album but never took the time to listen to it. There are elements here I love, and some not quite as much. I’m typically not into the post-hardcore genre (if that’s what this is). I find the vocal harmonies to be a bit juvenile and a bit too dramatic. However, the last minute or two of this song is incredible. I love the reference to the album title and it’s so catchy. It makes me appreciate how far this dude has come, as I believe TDH’s Act I came out soon after. I like this song as an origin story for Mr. Crescenzo but I don’t see myself ever being in the mood for this type of music.

7.5/10

senecadawg2 – “Affection” – Cigarettes After Sex

“This song is like taking a long, deep breath. Ahhhh”

I do know of this artist already through my sister, but I’m unfamiliar with their music. So much space to breathe is created with this one. A very beautiful song that makes me want to listen to what else they have to offer. Vocals were a bit of an acquired taste, but after some listens, they clicked. I imagine seeing this live would be a serene experience. In some cases, I find music like this to be a bit boring, but the slow-paced mellowness works very well here.

8/10

Lethean – “Leathean” – Katatonia

“I really like the dark mood and atmosphere of this one. Simple and straightforward, but well done.”

Self-absorbed, much? In all seriousness, this is a pretty great song. There’s nothing I’d say that’s out of the ordinary, but I love their sound. I had an older CD of theirs a while back, and like I told you, I enjoyed a few of their songs. I just never listened to them enough to put them on my banned list. Their vocalist sort of reminds me of Mikael from Opeth, which is a good thing. They sound very cohesive and this song doesn’t try to be something it’s not. This shows that simple and straightforward can be a great thing. I definitely want to continue listening to this band! And hey, you’re not the only one who submitted a song from them…

8/10

Elite – “Devonian: Nascent” – The Ocean, Katatonia

“This song is one badass journey.”

My dumbass thought this was related to Devin Townsend when I saw “Devonian”. Luckily, it’s not. This song fucking rocks. 11 minutes of building tension. Obviously, I already commented on my appreciation for Katatonia’s vocals. It’s no different here, they fit the song so well. I know virtually nothing about The Ocean but I have seen this album receive lots of praise. As someone who is very selective when it comes to harsh vocals, I was unsure how I felt about them here, at first. After sitting with it, I really dig the intensity of them, but my favorite part of this song is definitely the first half. Great song, overall.

8.5/10

Evermind – “Disappear” – Bjørn Riis

“Beautiful, moody track with gentle vocals and a tasty guitar solo. Right up my alley. Take notes, folks.”

Heavy, in the right way. These are the types of submissions I truly appreciate. I have an affinity for sad music, hence why Steven Wilson is my favorite artist. This reminds me a lot of his music, lyrically and musically, but not in a way where it feels too familiar. Like I mentioned in my first impression, this song evokes so much sadness and pain. His soft, gentle vocals are hypnotizing in the most beautiful way. The climax of this song around the midway mark is surreal. Amazing details that surface with each listen. Beautiful!

9/10

Sacul – “Killing Time” – Nicolas Jaar

“This reminds me of aliens having passionate sex. So sweet, so beautiful, something I never thought I’d hear.”

This is the alien sex one. What a gorgeous track. There are sounds here that I never thought I’d hear. Who knew the sound of broken glass (a clock, probably) could be so mesmerizing? From the start, this track captures my attention and doesn’t let go for the duration. It sounds like the future, and the future is bleak. The industrial-esque percussion thumping throughout matched with the extraterrestrial melody creates such an alluring intensity. I’m extremely curious to hear what other offerings this guy has. Sign me up.

9/10

Puppies_On_Acid – “Neverland” – Marillion

“Been wanting to check this group out for a while. And here we are. Much going on, lots to digest. Positive experience. We’ll see what happens after multiple listens.”

My only familiarity with Marillion is that I owned a physical copy of Misplaced Childhood before ultimately ridding of my CD collection. Therefore, I’ve never actually heard any of their music. It appears they have a wide discography encapsulating an evolution of their sound throughout the years. 10+ prog songs tend to take a long time for me to digest them. In the context of a quickly-paced roulette, that can potentially backfire. This song clicked instantly for me. I love everything about it. The vocals are amazing, the guitar solo is outstanding, and the atmosphere of this song is so magical. I may be the only one, but when listening to this, I get major Division Bell vibes. There’s a certain mood within that album that gives me similar vibes to this. This song feels epic and is definitely going to be in my rotation! Good fuckin’ choice.

9/10

Standings After Round 1:

1. Puppies_On_Acid - 9 Points
    Sacul - 9 Points
    Evermind - 9 Points
4. Elite - 8.5 Points
5. Lethean - 8 Points
    senecadawg2 - 8 Points
7. Cyril - 7.5 Points
8. Kwyjibo - 7 Points
    Kattelox - 7 Points
10. Train of Naught - 6.5 Points
11. Tomislav95 - 6 Points
12. Stadler - 5.5 Points
      TAC
- 5.5 Points

Obviously, it's still very early. TAC, Stadler, and Tomislav95 start at the bottom. Don't get too comfortable there or you'll see the exit after round 3  ;)

As for the top, there's a three way tie between Puppies, Sacul, and Evermind. Keep up the good shit!

Please go ahead and send me your R2 Submissions ASAP. I'll update the OP with the standings and banned artists.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: FlyingBIZKIT's Roulette V3. A New Beginning - Round 1 Results
« Reply #125 on: August 13, 2019, 09:00:03 AM »
Damn, tough competition. Taking cues from Neverland which is a stellar song, happy to see that come in first. Will send soon...

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #126 on: August 13, 2019, 09:03:01 AM »
For those interested, I'll be making a "Best of" playlist for this roulette on Spotify. To be put in that playlist, songs will have to have at least an 8/10 score.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #127 on: August 13, 2019, 09:08:11 AM »
Alright, so on Spotify I imagine it says ‘The Ocean, Katatonia’, but it’s really The Ocean featuring Katatonia’s vocalist (and, as it turns out, he’s singing a lot in the first half). Glad you liked it. The album the song comes from was one of my favourites from 2018. There’s more harsh vocals on the album though. I think a ‘safer’ entry into The Ocean would be their album ‘Pelagial’.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #128 on: August 13, 2019, 09:08:54 AM »
right in the middle, perfectly balanced as all things should be
round 2 sending in just a moment

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #129 on: August 13, 2019, 09:10:32 AM »
Sent something that's stylistically not far off from Neverland, so, I expect to tank next round.  :corn

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #130 on: August 13, 2019, 09:13:46 AM »
a moment of round 2 was sent
either you're gonna love it or find it really boring, i think

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #131 on: August 13, 2019, 09:14:07 AM »

Hey season 6 has some of the show's greatest moments.

What season 6? :biggrin:

Doing good so far! Let's see if I can screw this up with my next submission.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #132 on: August 13, 2019, 09:14:20 AM »
Well, that backfired. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #133 on: August 13, 2019, 09:17:34 AM »
Maybe I'll try to play a bit safer from now on :lol

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #134 on: August 13, 2019, 09:47:30 AM »
Sent!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #135 on: August 13, 2019, 10:38:16 AM »
So, it's like golf, right? Lower is better?    ;D :angel: :metal :tup

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #136 on: August 13, 2019, 10:40:15 AM »
You might be on to something  ;D

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #137 on: August 13, 2019, 03:07:35 PM »
:footloose: :gadough: :victorydance: :woot:

Now do I take a chance or go the safe route.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #138 on: August 13, 2019, 03:18:13 PM »
No such thing as safe :coolio

Take a chance !

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #139 on: August 13, 2019, 03:23:58 PM »