Author Topic: Distance Over Time Packages/Combos  (Read 882 times)

Offline Soldier777

Distance Over Time Packages/Combos
« on: August 05, 2019, 01:43:55 PM »
I haven't posted in here in years. I have all the major Dream Theater CDs/DVDs/Blurays except for their latest one Distance Over Time. I haven't bought the album yet for 2 reasons:

1. There is so much other music to get.
2. I can't make up my mind which package to get.

I was hoping you guys can help me. What do you all think of the album? Is it better than the last couple of albums? Also, can you guys provide a detail list of contents of the packages/combos? I know there is the standard CD 9 track, digipak 10 tracks, standard black vinyl. There is the CD/vinyl combo, the CD/DVD/Bluray version and the super deluxe version. I was hoping if someone can explain what are the contents of the last 2 deluxe packages.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 02:54:47 PM by Soldier777 »

Offline Evai

Re: Distance Over Time Packages/Combos
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2019, 02:14:39 PM »
It's not quite up to the level of their last album (understandably, since it was a massive undertaking of a complex story-based double album), but if you enjoy modern DT then you should be able to enjoy it just the same :)
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline pg1067

Re: Distance Over Time Packages/Combos
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2019, 03:38:45 PM »
What do you all think of the album? Is it better than the last couple of albums? Also, can you guys provide a detail list of contents of the packages/combos? I know there is the standard CD 9 track, digipak 10 tracks, standard black vinyl. There is the CD/vinyl combo, the CD/DVD/Bluray version and the super deluxe version. I was hoping if someone can explain what are the contents of the last 2 deluxe packages.

It amazes me that there are vinyl versions, but no 8-track or reel-to-reel versions.

That aside, I bought the version that has Viper King, and I can't conceive why anyone would be a version that has fewer songs.  My version came with a booklet that has lyrics and some artwork.  As for the extra-special whoopie versions, I assume their contents are explained anywhere you can buy them.

As far as comparing the album to prior albums, I would say that I like it about as much as DT12.  The Astonishing hasn't clicked with me, but I still feel I haven't given it a fair chance, so comparing the two would be unfair.  Of course, the album has been out for nearly six months, so there's plenty of commentary to be had, including in the multiple threads at this site that are dedicated to the album.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung