Poll

Which song of these would you like DT to cover?

Genesis - Supper's Ready
12 (20.7%)
Pink Floyd - Shine on You Crazy Diamond
16 (27.6%)
King Crimson - Epitaph
10 (17.2%)
Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven
8 (13.8%)
Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody
12 (20.7%)

Total Members Voted: 57

Author Topic: Which song would you like DT to cover?  (Read 7540 times)

Offline Renzo

• Daryus
Which song would you like DT to cover?
« on: August 01, 2019, 04:07:36 PM »
I was bored and I decided to make this poll including five of my favourites songs of all time. But aside of this, what is your song that you would like DT to cover, and by cover I don't mean live but recorded like they did with the Rush cover in 2017.
 :metal

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
Re: Which song would you like DT to cover?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2019, 04:53:36 PM »
As much as I love all these songs, Bohemian Rhapsody would be funny and entertaining.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2019, 09:31:59 AM »
Damn...I missed the part about this concerning a recorded cover and not a live cover.

Not a fan of Floyd or Crimson, so I'd have no interest in those two songs.

I don't entirely get the love that a lot of folks have for Supper's Ready.  If they were going to cover a Genesis song, I'd rather see them do something from ATotT.

Stairway to Heaven?  Love it, but I doubt James could pull off the ending part (even in the studio), and it's not a song well-suited to DT.  If they wanted to do a Zeppelin song, I'd much prefer Achilles Last Stand.

Bohemian Rhapsody is rapidly moving toward over-saturization, but it could be interesting to see what they come up with.  Maybe they could get some guest vocalists to do the middle section with James.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 09:37:28 AM by pg1067 »
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2019, 09:37:45 AM »
Honestly, none of the above.

Not a fan of Floyd or Crimson, so I'd have no interest in those two songs.

I don't entirely get the love that a lot of folks have for Supper's Ready.  If they were going to cover a Genesis song, I'd rather see them do The Cage Medley or something from ATotT.

Stairway to Heaven?  Love it, but I doubt James could pull off the ending part, and it's not a song well-suited to DT.  If they wanted to pull out the cover of Achilles Last Stand that they did int he late 90s (assuming James can still do it), that would be cool.

Bohemian Rhapsody is rapidly moving toward over-saturization.  That said, DT doesn't have the backing vocalists necessary to handle the middle section, and I'd rather do all that via pre-recorded backing tracks.

On top of all that, I think the days of DT doing cover songs are LONG over.  Given that DT can't ever seem to make everyone happy with their song choices, performing a cover in lieu of one of their own songs doesn't seem like a good idea.
I agree, but their cover of Xanadu was great IMHO
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2019, 03:06:52 PM »
But aside of this, what is your song that you would like DT to cover
I've got a laundry list of songs I'd love to see them do, but none of the ones you've listed in the poll are included.

It's good, but it's too close to the original. I'd have preferred them to Dream Theater-ize it more. In fact, that's the only issue I have with DT doing covers - typically they're too close to the originals. For me, the perfect example of them injecting enough of their own style into a cover was when they did Rush's Necromancer.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2019, 03:15:51 PM »
I've got a laundry list of songs I'd love to see them do, but none of the ones you've listed in the poll are included.

It's good, but it's too close to the original. I'd have preferred them to Dream Theater-ize it more. In fact, that's the only issue I have with DT doing covers - typically they're too close to the originals. For me, the perfect example of them injecting enough of their own style into a cover was when they did Rush's Necromancer.
I've yet to listen to that one, never found it anywhere though. I'm sure it works well though.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2019, 03:34:35 PM »

I've yet to listen to that one, never found it anywhere though. I'm sure it works well though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dbpW1BAYeU
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2019, 03:36:10 PM »

currently listening, cheers mate

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2019, 03:49:51 PM »
I've always thought that it would've been awesome to have covered Boston's first album.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2019, 06:53:46 PM »

This was cool. I haven't heard it before.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Renzo

• Daryus
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2019, 04:53:42 AM »

Sorry I've explained myself really badly, I wanted you to include other than my options even your songs in the reply. My bad  ;D
« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 02:40:14 PM by Renzo »

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2019, 12:45:23 PM »
I've always thought that it would've been awesome to have covered Boston's first album.
Heck Yeah, that would actually work.  Jordan could easily pull of the guitar harmonies on a keyboard patch, or the Keytar. JLB would sound quite nice singing Boston songs.
 I've always thought it would be cool to see Boston and DT tour together. I could see Boston fans warming up to DT with songs like Barstool Warrior, BAI, Our New World, Innocence Faded,  etc.  :coolio
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2019, 12:50:15 PM »
Heck Yeah, that would actually work.  Jordan could easily pull of the guitar harmonies on a keyboard patch, or the Keytar. JLB would sound quite nice singing Boston songs.
 I've always thought it would be cool to see Boston and DT tour together. I could see Boston fans warming up to DT with songs like Barstool Warrior, BAI, Our New World, Innocence Faded,  etc.  :coolio
seeing as you both mentioned it, MM apparently likes the album too I think and he can be seen wearing a shirt with the album art on it (he wears it here:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a45Om5y_qAY and he sits behind his standard size DT kit, which he should go back to IMO)

Offline Volante99

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2019, 05:31:53 PM »
Call me crazy, just gonna throw this out, but I’d love to see DT cover the album “Rust in Peace” by Megadeth. Feel like LaBrie could do a competent Mustaine impression, I’d LOVE to see Petrucci take on those Marty Friedman solos. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2019, 09:13:01 AM »
I feel like out of those, Floyd would be best for James, and I can already hear JP nailing those guitar tones
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2019, 01:19:14 PM »
I feel like out of those, Floyd would be best for James, and I can already hear JP nailing those guitar tones
except MM would fall asleep while playing that one

Offline jclrascal

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2019, 03:14:14 PM »
Here's my shortlist of tunes I wish DT would re-record in the studio:

1.  Tarot Woman--Rainbow
2.  Revelation Mother Earth--Ozzy/Randy
3.  Queen of Spades--Styx
4.  Fantasy Serenade/Hold On--Triumph
5.  Gates of Babylon--Rainbow
6.  Alexander The Great--Iron Maiden
7.  Blood Red Skies--Judas Priest
8.  Ordinary Man--Triumph

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2019, 05:02:55 PM »
Sorry I've explained myself really badly, I wanted you to include other than my options even your songs in the reply. My bad  ;D
You realize you're opening a can of worms, don't you?   :biggrin:

Where to start? Well, first off, this list is considering JL would be up to the task - not sure if he could do some of these at this point (at least not live). That said, here's a list of different tracks I'd love to see DT cover at some point (tho I know none of them ever will be, except for maybe Natural Science):

Natural Science - Rush
Witch Hunt - Rush
Losing It - Rush (I imagine Jordan doing some cool, tasteful stuff in place of the electric violin)
Love to Love - UFO
Into the Lungs of Hell - Megadeth
Genghis Khan - Iron Maiden (criminally underrated instrumental)
Alexander the Great - Iron Maiden
Mr. Scary - Dokken
Map of the Problematique - Muse (would love to hear a proper DT version - not a replication of the original)
Arriving Somewhere (But Not Here) - Porcupine Tree
Innuendo - Queen
Neue Regel - Queensryche
One and Only - Queensryche
China White - Scorpions
Sails of Charon - Scorpions
Angel of Death - Thin Lizzy
Discotheque - U2 (loved it when they did a bit of it on Touring Into Infinity - would love to see them do the full song)
Eruption - Van Halen (love to see JP and JR duel on this)
Atomic Punk - Van Halen
Waiting for Darkness - Ozzy
Killer of Giants - Ozzy
Children of the Sea - Black Sabbath
Sign of the Southern Cross - Black Sabbath
Touch of Evil - Judas Priest
Blood Red Skies - Judas Priest
Out in the Cold - Judas Priest
No Quarter - Led Zeppelin (doubt it could top Tool's version, but still would love to hear it)
Carouselambra - Led Zeppelin
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2019, 12:42:01 PM »
I generally like covers of artists that you would never expect, so I think it would be cool if DT did a metal cover of something poppier. Maybe a crazy idea, but the first thing that came to my mind was The Cure. Not sure which song, but something with that kind of energy.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline DT1138

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2019, 10:21:20 PM »
I was hoping for Slayer's "Angel of Death", but that's just me  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline T-ski

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2019, 09:50:55 AM »
Air Supply "Sweet Dreams"

and I'm not kidding.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2019, 03:20:51 PM »
Air Supply "Sweet Dreams"

and I'm not kidding.
I'd buy it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2019, 04:37:42 PM »
I generally like covers of artists that you would never expect, so I think it would be cool if DT did a metal cover of something poppier. Maybe a crazy idea, but the first thing that came to my mind was The Cure. Not sure which song, but something with that kind of energy.
If they cover The Cure, they gotta make sure JM has a good bass tone. Disintegration would be kind of a cool song for them to cover, or even Doing The Unstuck, mainly because when they do that live, the guitar solo in the middle, usually Porl or Reeves will shred, which would fit JP's style. I don't know, there's a lot of songs they could do from The Cure
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2019, 08:57:34 AM »
I'd like them to cover a Ramones album.  Any one would be fine.  And it would still be shorter than the average DT song.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2019, 09:18:55 AM »
That's easy for me - Jesus Christ Superstar.  :metal

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2019, 11:42:37 AM »
An odd choice for sure, but I think a cover of Between the Buried and Me's "The Proverbial Bellow" would be really cool.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2019, 12:49:25 PM »
I don't know why it would need a band like DT to cover Shine On. And I don't mean that in a negative way for either DT or Floyd. Pink Floyd were able to do stuff that no other band are able to do, not even DT. Their atmosphere is unmatched. DT on the other hand can do things that PF couldn't do.

I went with Supper's Ready, because it's like my all time favourite song of all time (or one of 3). And I would love to know what they would do with Apocalypse in 9/8.
any rock can be made to roll

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2019, 02:17:19 PM »
"My Oh My" by the Punch Brothers
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline silentmac6

• DT in SH
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2019, 04:35:12 AM »
Whilst I voted for the most obvious choice from above in Shine On...  I would like to hear a couple of different epics interpreted

Yes - Awaken
... Granted, James would have problems with some of Jon Anderson's vocals, but it be great to hear the rest of the gang tackle those instrumental pieces that made this song such a classic.

Todd Rundgren's Utopia - The Ikon
... A true epic inspired by Close to the Edge, and at times completely whacky but great fun. I'm sure Jordan would have great fun playing around with three (ok, 2.5) keyboardists parts. Also how MM interprets Kevin Elson's drum sounds would be interesting
I know perfect's not for real... I thought we might get closer

Offline pg1067

« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2019, 09:56:02 AM »
Yes - Awaken
... Granted, James would have problems with some of Jon Anderson's vocals, but it be great to hear the rest of the gang tackle those instrumental pieces that made this song such a classic.

One of my favorite songs by any band.  I'm not saying I wouldn't want to hear it, but I have a feeling it wouldn't go well (regardless of how they do the vocals).  There was a looseness to Yes in the 70s that DT doesn't have.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2019, 09:30:36 AM »
Of those I went with Crimson although that would seem to be an odd Crimson choice for them.

The Floyd and Zeppelin would make sense too I suppose.

Don't think at this point Dream Theater needs to concern themselves with covers although if John is still following the "What would Rush do model" an album of covers shouldn't be ruled out.

That said, it would beyond cool for them to cover Vital Signs (with the extended outro that Rush did during the third US leg of the Roll The Bones Tour.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2019, 08:36:27 AM »

2.  Revelation Mother Earth--Ozzy/Randy

Isn't there a boot of "Gates Of Babylon" floating around somewhere?

Also, and I'm hoping Scotty chimes in, wasn't RME mooted, and in a rare instance, shot down by James?  Do we know why? "Lyrics" are the obvious answer, but there's nothing there that is truly controversial, or at least more controversial than some of the other things that they've performed in the past. 

I'm with TAC; I'd love a cover of the first Boston LP.  Also down with a cover of the album, "Going For The One".

Offline bill1971

« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2019, 08:54:04 AM »
The first Sons of Apollo album. Then release it as a covers album from Ytse records. That shouldn't spark any controversy. :)

Seriously though I am in the minority and don't really like when bands do covers, UNLESS they really make it there own.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2019, 09:27:19 AM »
The first Sons of Apollo album. Then release it as a covers album from Ytse records. That shouldn't spark any controversy. :)
:clap:

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2019, 10:58:23 AM »
I'm all for any Floyd covers they'd want to perform... Saucer full of Floyd was an awesome album!

I'd like to hear:
Anybody Listening? - QR
No son of mine - Genesis
Rainbow in the Rose - Winger (seriously)
Have a Cigar - Floyd (got a piece of this on 5YIALT but I'd like to hear the full song)
Babe I'm gonna leave you - Zep
Since I've been lovin you - Zep
White Lightning - Def Leppard
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar