Author Topic: Ghostbusters  (Read 1715 times)

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
Ghostbusters
« on: December 16, 2021, 11:57:57 PM »
This series needs some love on this forum.

Afterlife was fantastic, by the way.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline pg1067

Re: Ghostbusters
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2021, 09:57:57 AM »
There was some recent discussion in the "last movie you saw" thread.

I saw the recent movie and thought it was really good.

The original is iconic, although I haven't seen it in probably more than 20 years.  I wanted to watch it before seeing the new one, but it wasn't available for free on any of the streaming services I have.

I have ZERO recollection of GB2, and you'd have had to have paid me a decent chunk of money to go see the remake from...what was it?...about 5 years ago?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2021, 01:38:47 PM »
We don’t talk about the 2016 movie.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2021, 09:07:28 PM »
I do not consider this a 'series.' There is the first one, then the sequel Ghostbusters 2, then there are other movies with the Ghostbusters name.

For as much as I loved Ghostbusters as a kid - one of those few films I can recall seeing in the theater in my youth - I also have no recollection of 2. It might be one of those movies I have only seen piecemeal, never straight through in one sitting. Which, if that is indeed true, boggles my mind as to how that happened.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2021, 03:40:31 PM »
People always tell me the game was the true Ghostbusters sequel, with original cast and all. Never played it though.

Loved the first two films as a kid, never saw them as an adult. Will see Afterlife when it is on streaming.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2021, 09:44:53 AM »
The original film is one of my favorite films of all time.

The sequel doesn't exist for me.

The 2016 reboot also doesn't exist for me.

Haven't seen Afterlife yet, but I want to very much.

I once (twice?) spent a week here on the forums posting exclusively in Ghostbusters quotes.  It was very fun, and worked incredibly well.  I may try it again someday.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2021, 12:44:25 PM »
Found Afterlife bland, it has charm for sure - but the story is just flat.
Think all 3 Ghostbusters sequels have been a letdown, all for different reasons.

Offline Volante99

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2021, 12:21:45 PM »
Warning MAJOR SPOILERS

The good: the child actors were likeable and hilarious- they gave me some genuine laughs

The bad: everything else. The entire movie is just references to the first film. I didn’t mind they brought back Gozer but was hoping they’d add something to the lore, but it’s just an exact retread of the first film. I’m not a big fan of Paul Rudd and he goes FULL PAUL RUDD in this film. Carrie Coon is also particularly obnoxious as perhaps the worst movie mom I’ve seen on screen since “Mommy Dearest”.

The ugly: almost 10 minutes of a CGI Harold Ramis- was supposed to be a tribute but it came off as cringey, and went on waaaay too long

Alas, about 90% of the theatre came out saying how amazing the movie was so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2021, 04:14:20 PM »
The ugly: almost 10 minutes of a CGI Harold Ramis- was supposed to be a tribute but it came off as cringey, and went on waaaay too long

That and the "the good" part is the only part of what you wrote that I agree with.  I think "amazing" goes a bit too far, but I'm far more with the 90% of your theater.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2021, 12:52:51 AM »
The movie was alright. It didn't need to be a laugh riot, and I wasn't disappointed that it wasn't. It was mostly engaging, but left a lot to be desired. I honestly didn't have any feels for the Egon ghost. And Bill Murray wasn't funny in the slightest, and phoned in his performance. I know he doesn't give a shit about Ghostbusters, but he could have at least pretended to give a shit, like actors are payed to do. Also, that exposition dump that Ray gave during the phone call was pretty bad. None of their falling out made any sense.

You know what? I don't think I really cared for this movie. I'll likely never watch it again.

When's the last time Bill Murray actually gave a solid performance where you could tell he cared? He sounded bored in the Ghostbusters game as well. The other guys sounded like they were back in their roles, and he just sounded like he was reading lines. I only ever played a little of the demo, but that alone turned me off, and didn't make me want to play the full game.

You think if you rubbed Bill Murray and Bruce Willis together, you could get a spark of enthusiasm?

Offline Volante99

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2021, 03:07:33 AM »
I mean, it’s kinda hard to tell with Murray because that detached, “I don’t give a f” sardonic humor has been a part of his schtick since the SNL days. Even his big comeback performance in “Lost in Translation” he plays a version of this, up until the final “goodbye” scene. But I agree, he seemed especially bored in Ghostbusters Afterlife, giving off a vibe he’d rather be off doing ANYTHING besides this movie. Really, it’s hard to make an OG Ghostbuster reunion finale dull but this movie managed to do it somehow. Murray’s phoned-in performance is a large culprit.

I think you summed up Afterlife pretty well. Despite my negative review above, I’m glad I saw it. I was even entertained at certain moments, but I have ZERO desire to ever watch it again.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2021, 03:13:19 AM by Volante99 »

Offline tofee35

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2022, 12:19:56 PM »
Afterlife was a good tribute to the first movie. I didn't love it, but it was nice. I disagree with a couple of the posts on Egon's ghost...I thought it was a really well executed scene. I was always a big fan of the first 2 movies and the cartoon (as a kid and, yes, still). This movie reminded me alot of the cartoon, actually. They had plenty of shows outside of New York, and this felt similar. Murray had a good line that made me laugh before firing at Gozer, "All right guys, on 3... go on 2". Phoebe was great and it was honestly nice seeing Winston get his due.

What I missed: The humor. I missed it. I hope in the next one they give the reigns to Winston (as hinted in the credits) and bring in a new team of comedians Ghostbusters. Write some original material for the new team, and we're off.

-Tof

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2022, 01:01:04 PM »
I missed the humor in the original...
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2022, 01:32:09 PM »
I missed the humor in the original...

Get out.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline The Realm

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2022, 04:32:01 PM »
I enjoyed Afterlife, my kids loved it.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2022, 07:14:57 AM »
Didn't have a issue with Ghost Ramis.  But I hated the 3 remaining Ghostbusters turning up at the right moment they were needed, mainly because it seemed they just beamed in and were suddenly right there - I mean there can't be many people in the cinema who didn't expect them to be part of the finale, but the way they just appeared, all geared up was terrible writing.  That and the underwhelming end to Ivo Shandor kind off made the ending deeply unsatisfying.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2022, 03:52:40 PM »
The original is one of my top handful of all time favourite films. Just watched this. I hear all your criticisms and think they're all valid but we really enjoyed it in the Action house. Gave me all the feels.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2022, 09:43:24 AM »
Saw Afterlife last night with the wife and kid, I give it a 6/10.

Solid nostalgia trip, but it could have so much more. I’ll repeat what others have said, the first scene with Aykroyd was a bit over the top and kind of awkward. And the obvious return of the original Ghostbusters was poorly done.

I do think the kids did a pretty good job, especially Egon’s granddaughter. Paul Rudd was way over the top though.

I know they set up a possible sequel or series, but I think I’d leave it alone at this point.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2022, 09:19:12 PM »
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2023, 09:09:26 AM »
https://youtu.be/wFNK_KEmcWs?si=G199uvKrkgXqnpdz

Official teaser trailer for Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire

...and I still need to watch Afterlife. Might have to marathon 1 & 2 with Afterlife at some point.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online faizoff

« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2023, 09:28:07 AM »
Afterlife was fun, I think it hit the right kind of beats expected from the Ghostbusters franchise.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2023, 03:53:50 PM »
I should probably see Afterlife sometime.  I love the original, and apparently I'm one of the few who likes Ghostbusters II, but I've never seen the 2016 flick (and probably never will) and kinda forgot about Afterlife.  But now I'm hearing good things about this new one, so I guess I need to get caught up.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2023, 06:48:59 PM »
I should probably see Afterlife sometime.  I love the original, and apparently I'm one of the few who likes Ghostbusters II, but I've never seen the 2016 flick (and probably never will) and kinda forgot about Afterlife.  But now I'm hearing good things about this new one, so I guess I need to get caught up.

I liked both one and two.....watched the 2016 reboot and it's reputation for being really bad is well deserved. Didn't watch Afterlife.....guess I should
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline T-ski

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2024, 06:38:53 AM »
Anyone give the new one a watch? Very little buzz about it since it came out.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2024, 06:46:45 AM »
Anyone give the new one a watch? Very little buzz about it since it came out.
Haven't seen it yet, but I've heard nothing but good things about it, and it's making money for sure.

I sat through Afterlife, so I need to see the new one too, I suppose.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2024, 06:48:25 AM »
Haven't seen it yet, but I've heard nothing but good things about it, and it's making money for sure.

I sat through Afterlife, so I need to see the new one too, I suppose.

Really? I've heard nothing but negative reviews.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2024, 07:45:03 AM »
Really? I've heard nothing but negative reviews.
*shrugs*

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2024, 10:14:58 AM »
I enjoyed the new one, probably more than Afterlife (which I also liked). I can't give an unbiased opinion on it though, I'm a sucker for anything Ghostbusters related. I'm too young to have seen either of the original two movies in theaters, but we had them on VHS and as a kid I was *obsessed*. The last few minutes of the original was a little warped/distorted from how many times I watched and rewound it. Hell, I even love Ghostbusters 2. Is it far inferior to the original? Yes. Does it still make me happy any time I watch it? Also yes. I'll say that Afterlife and the new one tilt the action and adventure vs comedy balance more towards the former than the 80s movies. The new one gets away from nostalgia in having a bad guy totally unrelated to anything in the prior movies, but in returning to New York does make sure to pack in some minor character and locations from the old movies. All of the new era cast members acquit themselves well, and Dan Aykroyd has be biggest part to play of the original members (and is clearly having a blast). Bill Murray has the least involvement of the founding members, but gets a few moments in the latter half of the movie.
Photobucket sucks.